Mysterious The World Ends With You Countdown Begins

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mysterious The World Ends With You Countdown Begins

An evolving teaser site points at an August 27 announcement.

A countdown page has materialized on the Japanese Square Enix site, hinting at an announcement of some kind next Monday, August 27. All signs, from the content to the URL, suggest that we will be hearing something to do with the company's DS RPG The World Ends With You very shortly.

There's not much on the page itself, save for the countdown timer itself and a piece of looping background music, as well as the vague silhouette of what appears to be the Shibuya cityscape in the background. Also at the bottom of the page is a number entitled "BGM ver.", with the current date noted as a version number. The page looks set to evolve gradually as time goes on, as setting the date forward day by day on your system clock illuminates the cityscape ever so slightly further. Each day will add to the background music little by little, too, unearthing extra instruments and vocal sections. What starts out as a simple drum loop ends as a full remix of part of the original game's soundtrack.

The end of the page's URL, /subaseka/, is an abbreviation of the game's Japanese title Subarashiki Kono Sekai, and the countdown font is highly reminiscent of that used in the game, so it's pretty clear that this all has something to do with The World Ends With You, but the real question here is "what". As is usual with countdown pages like this, there's currently no answer to that at all. Could it hint towards a sequel to Square Enix's DS RPG, or perhaps a port to another console? We'll just have to wait until the timer runs dry on August 27 to find out for sure.

Source: Joystiq

It's the beginning of the end.

Already posted about this...though with not as much information. I'm honestly excited about this announcement just because I love Squeenix games. But I do think there's a slim chance it isn't related to TWEWY.

ME ME ME SO EXCITED!!!! 8D

The sequel to one of the most beautiful and interesting DS games which still ranges among the Top 10 games I've ever played? Why yes please, I would like that very very much.

Kinda hope we're going back to sprites-ville for this game. Nothing against the chunky polygons the 3DS manages to produce but the art-style and distortions really work better in deliciously detailed sprites.

plus, there would be more cartridge space for content or an ever bigger awesome soundtrack.

I just said something about a sequel and now there is movement.
So I hope it's a sequel, though anything other than a 3DS port is fine with me.
Can't wait, or sleep, Damn.

Shinsei-J:
I just said something about a sequel and now there is movement.
So I hope it's a sequel, though anything other than a 3DS port is fine with me.
Can't wait, or sleep, Damn.

I doubt it's a port. If anything it would have to be an expansion, because I have the TWEWY soundtrack, and there's no track with that drum beat. It's either a new game, or an expansion akin to the Kingdom Heart Final Mix games.

I enjoyed the game from what I played very much, except for the combat, which was the most needlessly annoying shit I have ever seen, it almost requires 2 people to play it properly, make a sequel with good combat and I'll buy it

Dear GOD this game was annoying. Probably had some of the most ridiculous villains in recent memory who were trying so hard to be taken seriously. That and the art direction was just more of Nomura's brain dead, wannabe fashion designer crap.

DJ_DEnM:

I doubt it's a port. If anything it would have to be an expansion, because I have the TWEWY soundtrack, and there's no track with that drum beat. It's either a new game, or an expansion akin to the Kingdom Heart Final Mix games.

Solid logic, I'd like ether of those.

And this is why I love PopCap. No pointless countdowns or any other hype-generating nonsense, just "We're announcing Plants vs. Zombies 2"

This is so zetta awesome! If it is gonna be out for the 3DS then I guess I have a reason to buy one afterall.

I can't wait! I loved TWEWY! Best news all week!

As long as they don't have another "Grim Heaper" guy in this, it should be amazing. I hated that guy so much, everytime he talked I wanted to punch him in the face, because he made no sense at all. It was like a five year old that learned some math terms and one letter of the Greek alphabet, and decided to work it into every sentence they spoke. I was the happiest kid in the world when he blew up, and nearly head-butted a wall when he came back. Besides him, I loved the game, but he did so much to shit on an otherwise beautiful game.

Scarim Coral:
This is so zetta awesome!

NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. He was the most annoying villian in that game, and he should have been the first to die, do not quote him!

i don't get why the people like this game like they do. i played it for a hour: hated the main character, hated the female character and it didn't made sense at all.

but yeah, that is my opinion.

klaynexas3:

Scarim Coral:

NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. He was the most annoying villian in that game, and he should have been the first to die, do not quote him!

I feel The Escapist's report on this was So Zetta Slow! =V

Ok now seriously, This is some pretty good news for TWEWY fans but I just wonder where the hell they can take it. Doesn't mean I'm not riding this hype train, I just wonder how they're going to make a sequel when there was already a distinct end to the story.

blackdwarf:
i don't get why the people like this game like they do. i played it for a hour: hated the main character, hated the female character and it didn't made sense at all.

Well, that's because you played it for one hour and didn't wait to see the characters develop over the next seven or eight hours. All of the protagonists (barring one) have some pretty serious character development throughout the course of their games.

On topic, I'm actually pretty excited for this. The game was a breath of fresh air for JRPGs, and while I do kinda want it to stay unique and not get the usual 'sequel-treatment' that a lot of Square's RPGs have gotten recently (ie. become mediocre/bad in many aspects), I do want to see how they can improve upon the first game.

And for those of you who want to hear what the full background music on the teaser site sounds like, this comes courtesy of GameFAQs:

OOO, TWEWY was one of the best examples of how to use the DS's features correctly in a game. On top of having Nomura's excellent art direction and a great story...

I really hope it's a sequel announcement. If any game could take full advantage of a console's features (be it 3DS or Wiiu) it'd be a TWEWY game.

blackdwarf:
i don't get why the people like this game like they do. i played it for a hour

Well there's your problem.

A Neku is supposed to be an unlikeable douche. It's part of his character arc.

B Nomura's stories are usually about the mystery. The nature of the world is revealed slowly over the course of the game, thus why you were probably confused.

C An hour is not enough time to get used to the combat, which has an admittedly very steep learning curve.

I dunno what your predisposition towards JRPG-ish settings is, but I think you'd have liked it more if you gave it more time.

That reminds me, I need to finish TWEWY...

Still, I wouldn't mind if a sequel comes since I had fun with it.

And the reveal day finally arrives...

TWEWY will be released on Ipad!

:p

Nah, I don't see how you could port the controls to anything other then a touch screen system

I doubt a port. The controls of that game wouldn't really allow it to be ported to anything else without removing a large portion of what made TWEWY unique. You literally need 2 screens and 2 different forms of controlling your character for the game to make sense.

I really hope its a sequel. Say what you want about the game, but it did something fresh. It was a modern pop-culture JRPG with one of the most unique combat systems ever. And it was pretty good.

Honestly, this has me confused. They can't really make a 'sequel', it just wouldn't fit. Having a sequel would undermine the story of the original - it was about a loner learning that the world doesn't revolve around him and that he needs the help of his friends to survive. All of his opinions on other people are shattered by his different partners, that all prove that he was wrong. It was one of those "have friends - be happy" kind of stories. If they made a sequel, it would feel cheap. Neku already learned his lesson, thats what the game was about. The only logical character they could recycle would be Joshua - but the game wasn't about him.

This is just weird. I'm excited none-the-less, but still. Weird.

Alphakirby:

klaynexas3:

Scarim Coral:

I feel The Escapist's report on this was So Zetta Slow! =V

Ok now seriously, This is some pretty good news for TWEWY fans but I just wonder where the hell they can take it. Doesn't mean I'm not riding this hype train, I just wonder how they're going to make a sequel when there was already a distinct end to the story.

I agree...I posted this like half an hour before!

Nami nom noms:
And the reveal day finally arrives...

TWEWY will be released on Ipad!

:p

Nah, I don't see how you could port the controls to anything other then a touch screen system

I'd buy it.

I said long ago the only thing that would make me go out and buy a 3DS would be a sequel to TWEWY.
If this is in fact a sequel, I'll be buying a 3DS very soon.

Mistilteinn:

blackdwarf:

Well, that's because you played it for one hour and didn't wait to see the characters develop over the next seven or eight hours. All of the protagonists (barring one) have some pretty serious character development throughout the course of their games.

Innegativeion:

blackdwarf:

B Nomura's stories are usually about the mystery. The nature of the world is revealed slowly over the course of the game, thus why you were probably confused.

C An hour is not enough time to get used to the combat, which has an admittedly very steep learning curve.

I dunno what your predisposition towards JRPG-ish settings is, but I think you'd have liked it more if you gave it more time.

i'm sorry, but if I don't like the game and/or the character after a hour, I don't see any reason to play further. the "it gets better after awhile" argument will never fly with me. I can accept a character who is a ass in the beginning of a game. look at AC1 (and in a sense 2). the main character was a asshole, but he was still interesting because his issues had more to with arrogance and the world did reacted on that. so far I remember the "issue" TWEWY was that he didn't like people. sorry, but that is not interesting.

I like Jrpg's overall so long the story and setting is interesting and grab me in the first hour and don't bore me.

blackdwarf:
the "it gets better after awhile"

Okay, fair enough but... really? An hour? Come on, that's like giving up on a book after the first chapter.

I'll even watch more than an hour of a tv show before giving up on it.

Innegativeion:

blackdwarf:
the "it gets better after awhile"

Okay, fair enough but... really? An hour? Come on, that's like giving up on a book after the first chapter.

I'll even watch more than an hour of a tv show before giving up on it.

maybe. but this was one game I had not even the slightest urge to pick it up again. i played many games i didn't really like, but i still played them because i wanted to. sometimes i finished the games then because i did enjoy them or i just dropped them forever because i wasn't enjoying them. TWEWY was just not for me.

Uber Waddles:
I doubt a port. The controls of that game wouldn't really allow it to be ported to anything else without removing a large portion of what made TWEWY unique. You literally need 2 screens and 2 different forms of controlling your character for the game to make sense.

I really hope its a sequel. Say what you want about the game, but it did something fresh. It was a modern pop-culture JRPG with one of the most unique combat systems ever. And it was pretty good.

Honestly, this has me confused. They can't really make a 'sequel', it just wouldn't fit. Having a sequel would undermine the story of the original - it was about a loner learning that the world doesn't revolve around him and that he needs the help of his friends to survive. All of his opinions on other people are shattered by his different partners, that all prove that he was wrong. It was one of those "have friends - be happy" kind of stories. If they made a sequel, it would feel cheap. Neku already learned his lesson, thats what the game was about. The only logical character they could recycle would be Joshua - but the game wasn't about him.

This is just weird. I'm excited none-the-less, but still. Weird.

They could simply center it around *another* Game, and not recycle anyone except possibly Joshua.

One thing I thought was funny was that it was one of those games that all the foreshadowing just completely "clicked" for me, and I basically knew what was going on in the first 20 minutes or so (especially given the first several pieces of theme music I heard seeming to heavily suggest "waking up", I figured either it was a dream or Neku was dead). Bioshock was another, but I'd been reading conspiracy theory/brainwashing stuff for a lark literally the day before I started playing Bioshock, so that was probably cheating.

blackdwarf:

Mistilteinn:

blackdwarf:

Innegativeion:

blackdwarf:

i'm sorry, but if I don't like the game and/or the character after a hour, I don't see any reason to play further. the "it gets better after awhile" argument will never fly with me. I can accept a character who is a ass in the beginning of a game. look at AC1 (and in a sense 2). the main character was a asshole, but he was still interesting because his issues had more to with arrogance and the world did reacted on that. so far I remember the "issue" TWEWY was that he didn't like people. sorry, but that is not interesting.

I like Jrpg's overall so long the story and setting is interesting and grab me in the first hour and don't bore me.

The whole point though is that it's a heavy character-development story rather than a save-the-world affair, and the unusual scenario is intentionally mysterious to keep you from seeing it through the eyes of someone who already knows what's going on.

I find your avatar choice interesting here though -- that you got into Ghost Trick that quickly but couldn't get into TWEWY is kind of surprising. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is another that you're either going to love or hate -- it's another people + mysterious circumstances = personal growth kind of story, but it intentionally leaves a bunch of ancilliary plot holes.

It's not likely, but imma just repeat it:

WiiU sequel.

The gamepad makes the transition between handheld and console much smoother, and getting to hear the soundtrack on a proper TV and seeing the world of TWEWY in HD would be awesome.

Schadrach:

blackdwarf:

Mistilteinn:

Innegativeion:

The whole point though is that it's a heavy character-development story rather than a save-the-world affair, and the unusual scenario is intentionally mysterious to keep you from seeing it through the eyes of someone who already knows what's going on.

I find your avatar choice interesting here though -- that you got into Ghost Trick that quickly but couldn't get into TWEWY is kind of surprising. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is another that you're either going to love or hate -- it's another people + mysterious circumstances = personal growth kind of story, but it intentionally leaves a bunch of ancilliary plot holes.

well ghost trick did started with: SPOILER!!: there is my body, i'm dead. there you see an amazing animation of someone else being killed and you have to save her. the moment it started it hooked me. i already liked the style and the gameplay and the character was really understandable for me.

999 I also played and I also loved that. that had more to do with the feeling i got when i was in danger in game. i was genuinely scared at certain moments and the game had a great atmosphere.

and i don't hate the fact that a game doesn't bother me to explain things. i like it even more, because i can then theorize myself which makes it closer to me. i did went in TWEWY with the idea, this game could be interesting, but the main character was so annoying for me and the events that happened just didn't piqued my interest.

if you love the game, great for you. i can understand that you would love to hear this news then, but sometimes i can't really understand how people can like certain things.

please don't throw the: "stop liking what i hate" meme to me, i'm really not that kind of guy, but I do want to understand why people like something when i clearly disliked it.

Mr. Omega:
It's not likely, but imma just repeat it:

WiiU sequel.

The gamepad makes the transition between handheld and console much smoother, and getting to hear the soundtrack on a proper TV and seeing the world of TWEWY in HD would be awesome.

I don't think it would be that smooth a transition. The combat system took a lot of time to get used to, separating the screens even further is going to make it even more akward.

TWEWY's problem is that it didn't even do character development realistically; it came off as a really bad Persona knockoff. Neku starts off as completely unlikable and then transitions to a goody two-shoes with practically NO build up. And don't even get me started on the hilariously bad villains.

I wouldn't buy a 3DS just for this, but what I owuld do is buy the game even without a 3DS, and beg to borrow a friend's. I'm a student, don't ahve THAT kind of cash to throw around. However, I can't not support them paying attention to a truly fantastic title that never really took off mainstream. TWEWY is probably... my absolutely favourite game. Ever. Yeah, I went there. And I've played at least a good 400 titles, and am a Zelda fanboy to boot. This game was awesome.

Also, nuts to the haters of the combat system. I didn't fully grasp it until halfway through Joshua's arc, and then it got even harder with Beat as a partner. BUT, once you grasp it, it is so supremely satisfying to handle two battles at once, pass that puck back and forth, and continue dodging with little more than your peripheral vision. You feel like a supergamer.

PLEASE be a sequel! Please, please, please!

So...does anyone else think 'The World Ends With You' would be a great title for a James Bond film?

TWEWY to me isn't a game that needs a sequel, and I honestly don't know the direction they can go with another unless they make it like a successor (ie Silent Hill 1 vs Silent Hill 2)

Mind you, I still approve of this, sequel or successor. Easily the best game Square has made this generation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here