Blizzard Unveils Diablo III "Paragon System"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Blizzard Unveils Diablo III "Paragon System"

The new Diablo III "Paragon system" will give high-level players something exciting and new to strive for: even higher levels!

The trouble with Diablo III, so it would seem, is that once players hit level 60, there's just not much left for them to do. All that remains at that point is to hack and slash in search of loot, but as Blizzard admits, "Your play session may not only end without an upgrade, it can wind up being a net loss." And that's just no good.

Fortunately, in an inspired stroke of genius, the studio has come up with the solution to hitting the level cap: more levels! "Paragon levels," to be precise, a sort of tier-two level set that kicks in once character level 60 is achieved. Paragon levels are earned the same way as conventional levels - kill monsters, gain experience - and, much like regular levels, boost core stats like strength and dexterity, but they also increase Magic Find and Gold Find attributes by three percent per level.

This is apparently the big deal: Instead of forcing players to improve their odds of a big score by swapping into Magic Find gear in the middle of a fight, Paragon levels will effectively turn that percentage into a skill. Blizzard is also capping the Magic and Gold Find percentages at 300, meaning that someone at the maximum Paragon level of 100 will also have the maximum Magic and Gold Find percentages without needing special gear and can therefore focus on using items with more practical, combat-specific bonuses. "The idea is that if you're currently swapping gear in and out for the Magic Find bonuses, you can continue to do so... but gain enough Paragon levels, and you won't need to anymore," Diablo III Game Director Jay Wilson explained.

"To support the new system, Nephalem Valor (NV) will now also provide a 15 percent experience bonus per stack, applicable toward Paragon levels. The first Paragon level should take about as long as it took most players to get from level 59 to 60, and the experience requirement will rise from there," he continued. "The time to reach the upper Paragon levels approximates the long-term time investment required to get a level 99 character in Diablo II."

The Diablo III Paragon system, which will also reward high-level players with an increasingly-fancy-schmancy series of borders around their character portraits, will be released as part of the forthcoming 1.0.4. patch.

Source: Battle.net

Sounds pretty silly.

Will something this shallow and pointless really keep people from leaving or win back the legion of disappointed leavers? Probably not.

Me thinks they forgot what made the path to 99 in Diablo 2 such a "long-term time investment". Namely combating experience loss after deaths.

Or probably have no idea of it, considering all the good devs who had worked on D2 went elsewhere and are making good games.

And honestly, I don't see this going over to well with the Auction House either. Increasing the chance of finding magic items just means more being sold via Auctions. More items being sold via auctions means that people are just going to use the AH even more because availability is up.
All I really see this doing is possibly pushing prices for both gold and items down, which then again means all its really going to be hammering is the Real-Money Auction Houses (increase in gold means less gold per buck, yadda yadda)

I think it's best to sum it up like this-

"You dawg I heard you like to grind so we added more grinds for you to grind!"

Ok yes this time the grind is more beneficial but come on! Seriously? And this is why Blizzard has been performing so poorly lately like losing members from WOW and Diablo 3.

Finally. I've been waiting on this since like week 1. God knows its been suggested since then. Finally nice to seem some small changes that quite frankly should've been implemented a long time ago. I haven't played since mid-June, but I gotta say this patch has me exited.

Boudica:
Sounds pretty silly.

Will something this shallow and pointless really keep people from leaving or win back the legion of disappointed leavers? Probably not.

No it's not, and yes it will. People have been asking for this for a long time. People aren't leaving because D3 is a bad game, but because of a lack of progression once you hit max level.

NightHawk21:
Finally. I've been waiting on this since like week 1. God knows its been suggested since then. Finally nice to seem some small changes that quite frankly should've been implemented a long time ago. I haven't played since mid-June, but I gotta say this patch has me exited.

I haven't played in a while too and I'm excited for this.

Maybe they have something else planned after everyone gets used to the new system, like more levels and loots! :D

For just one moment, I thought Blizzard actually came up with a way to alleviate the problems caused by the idiotic level 60 cap. Turns out they just made two more stats ultimately pointless.

poiumty:

Boudica:
Sounds pretty silly.

No it's not, and yes it will. People have been asking for this for a long time. People aren't leaving because D3 is a bad game, but because of a lack of progression once you hit max level.

That's exactly it. D3 is a very good game up until mid 50s-60. Then it get boring. Don't get me wrong playing the same story 4 times/character isn't great but its not too bad, especially since each character at least gets different lines and a voice-over.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

NightHawk21:

Maybe they have something else planned after everyone gets used to the new system, like more levels and loots! :D

Did you see the new legendary drops. Some of them actually look really good. Also I don't know if it still stands, but I remember people saying that there was mention of lvl 64 items once something like 10-30% of players get to Inferno.

skinner box is a helluva drug.

NightHawk21:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

NightHawk21:

Did you see the new legendary drops. Some of them actually look really good. Also I don't know if it still stands, but I remember people saying that there was mention of lvl 64 items once something like 10-30% of players get to Inferno.

Yeah, some of them look ridiculous, but I did see a few that look pretty badass.

I remember a mention of that but no one really explained further about it. I've been meaning to get that far just to see for myself but I stopped playing since I had other games to get to.

Grind to level 60! Now... grind some more! No, not for new story or anything, but for bigger numbers next to your name!

So i never jumped on the D3 bandwagon. I just started playing with the Starter Pack last wekk. I am having a bit of fun but everyone seems to just hate this game. Should I even bother upgrading or should I just let this come and go and wait for SC2:HotS

Blizzard guy: "The players got all the numbers! What do we do?"

Act-investors: "MORE NUMBERS!"

Blizzard guy: "We can't just add more numbers and expect-"

Act-investors: "NUMBERS! YES!"

I don't know what they're expecting from this. Maybe some people might stay around just a bit longer, but I doubt it will have the effect they're hoping for.

I've heard stories of what it took to get to level 99 in Diablo 2, and I am not even going to bother. I wish I could go back in time and not ever preorder this game. Ugh.

Boudica:
Grind to level 60! Now... grind some more! No, not for new story or anything, but for bigger numbers next to your name!

Have you ever played a Diablo game? That's exactly what Diablo fans want from them.

This change is a great improvement in my eyes. Looking forward to the patch^^

although the reward is not big with each lvl, it does give a feeling of progression. i like it. patch 1.0.4 looks to be a great one.

although i approve of allowing players to peel back the layers of "well we can't have a reasonable drop rate because economy herp derp" at the same time i wonder how they're going to counteract what would essentially be giving the keys to the good loot to just a few players and then wrecking the high end goods market

I wonder if they think most people stopped playing at 60 because there was no more levelling to do or because the final settings was badly designed, it should not be down to what RNG you get on the rare monsters ability deciding if you can kill them or not. I like a challenge but come on that's just not fun. Its typical of current blizzard thinking, dont make things hard by interesting mechanics and new challenges (Ulduar) lets just make them have more HP and hit harder (ICC).

When players had killed Baal in Hell, did many of them stick around purely to go from 82-99? Would those that did have stuck around if Skill Points weren't a thing? Until they get the item hunt game right (rather than hunting through the AH interface), D3 will continue to have difficulty retaining players.

To be honest, Paragon Levels don't strike me as meaningful Progression per se, but may have value once PvP is enabled. That is, if Blizzard can implement Arena PvP which isn't blown out by gear and P-Level disparity.

If this was tied into an expansion I'd be happy, sadly this is just offering a minor incentive for grinding.

Compatriot Block:

Boudica:

Have you ever played a Diablo game? That's exactly what Diablo fans want from them.

I seriously don't understand the people who hold up the endless high-level grinding of Diablo 2 as some sort of paragon of the genre but think the max-level grinding of Diablo 3 has reuined the genre forever...

twobeef:

I seriously don't understand the people who hold up the endless high-level grinding of Diablo 2 as some sort of paragon of the genre but think the max-level grinding of Diablo 3 has reuined the genre forever...

TBH the Dungeon Crawler/ARPG is something of a ruined/dying genre (and even if they're not, their glory days are definitely over) since the 'grindy lootfest' baton has been passed to the MMO for the most part.

They're kind of like point-and-click adventure games, in that they're mostly extinct but still see the odd release because they have too much nostalgia to actually die.

I really don't understand the appeal of this series. How can there be people who see obnoxious level grinding as a good thing?

Hurray! More Numbers! And when everyone has a crazy chance to find better magical items, prices at the Auction House will plummet for both currencies! So instead of finding my own gear, I'll just BUY better gear with easily obtained gold!

I'm not going to say this can only hurt the game, but I will say that it certainly isn't going to make it any better. The lack of a level increase isn't what's driving away Month One players. It's boredom. Sheer boredom. For my part, at least... *sigh*

I haven't played D3, but i had an idea that might work. If i understand correctly, death is permanent for a hardcore character. What if there was a dungeon exclusively for HC characters and the dungeon had no end. There would be an unlimited number of levels and each level would get progressively harder.

Here's where the psychology comes into play. The Dungeon has a leader board. As you move farther down, you amass more points, and the higher you can get on the leader board. But because only HC characters can play this dungeon, going to far might result in the loss of your character. When you think you can't go any farther, you can leave the dungeon at any time.

Players would have to balance their desire to get higher on the leader board vs the chance that they lose their character. I think that provides a real dilemma.

Did anyone read the attacks they made on the original creator of Diablo and leader of the Blizzard North team responsible for D1 and D2? Jay Wilson told him to "F@ck off loser". These guys have no class.

Suicidal Zebra:
When players had killed Baal in Hell, did many of them stick around purely to go from 82-99? Would those that did have stuck around if Skill Points weren't a thing? Until they get the item hunt game right (rather than hunting through the AH interface), D3 will continue to have difficulty retaining players.

To be honest, Paragon Levels don't strike me as meaningful Progression per se, but may have value once PvP is enabled. That is, if Blizzard can implement Arena PvP which isn't blown out by gear and P-Level disparity.

I stuck around to get all my characters to level 99 that beat Hell Baal. All 20 something of them. However if there were no skill points I would not have. Hell I wouldn't have kept playing long enough to get to Hell let alone Hell Baal if there were no skill points as then the game would have lost that sense of progression that loot alone will not bring.

Oh god, and I thought Prestige mode in COD was just baiting the grinders...

Mygaffer:
Did anyone read the attacks they made on the original creator of Diablo and leader of the Blizzard North team responsible for D1 and D2? Jay Wilson told him to "F@ck off loser". These guys have no class.

nope. Where?

This is great, but without new maps and enemies it seems pointless.

If they release an expansion pack I'll most definitely get back into it.

This isn't going to help if you still can't get drops you can actually use. Maybe they'll include that too.

Two-A:
I really don't understand the appeal of this series. How can there be people who see obnoxious level grinding as a good thing?

It isn't grinding if you enjoy it, There is a zen like quality to grinding in games like this.
Grind isn't inherently a bad thing you know, just as long as the gameplay itself is enjoyable to play for hours on end.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here