EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

EA maintains that defending The Sims Social will help all game designers.

One of the recurring themes in "monster vs. monster" movies is that no matter which terrifying creature wins, humanity will lose. Whether it's Alien vs. Predator or King Kong vs. Godzilla, there's always the sense that once the big monster brawl has concluded, the victor will turn its hungry eyes back towards a battered human race who championed it only because it was their last hope. Some gamers will no doubt feel the same way about EA's current lawsuit against Zynga. Electronic Arts states that Zynga borrowed too liberally from The Sims Social in order to create TheVille, and by taking the social gaming giant to court, EA can strike a blow for all original, serious-minded game designers.

Peter Moore, COO of EA, explains that The Sims Social came from The Sims (an earlier EA game), whereas Zynga's TheVille copied The Sims Social's concept wholesale, as well as many of its mechanics and stylistic choices. "We also feel from an industry perspective that a number of these things have happened before related to Zynga, but there's never been a company that has the wherewithal and the resources to take it to the next level," says Moore. "We do ... [We're] defending our Maxis studio, and we're standing up for the industry."

Moore minces no words as he accuses Zynga of being a rather shameless copycat. "The roots of what we do as an industry is creative, from the minds of people who sit there and build storylines and characters and mesh it all together ... You take years to do that. And when you see somebody ... take months replicating what you've done, you're upset." While Moore realizes that EA, by virtue of its size and success, has little in common with the smaller studios who have run afoul of Zynga, he still believes that EA has a responsibility to help out its fellow creative types. "[We've] seen enough of it from an industry perspective, with smaller publishers and developers who also put their hands up and said, this is not right, but I don't know what to do about it. We do."

To be fair, the matter is still very much up for debate, both in the legal world, and in the court of public opinion. Both EA and Zynga have legions of staunch defenders and bitter enemies, and the line between inspiration and outright plagiarism in entertainment media can be a notoriously slippery thing. Worth noting, though, is an EA-directed tweet from Nimblebit, one of the first companies to call out Zynga on its purported bad behavior. "You have my sword," promised the indie developer.

"You have our shield," replied EA.

Source: Eurogamer

you know i wanna laugh at them but ea is the lesser evil in this case so ill let them have their little moment of grandeur, still ea supposedly being our "shield" is just ridiculous.

I'm sure they'd like us to think so, after all they are in dire need of some good PR right now and what could possibly be a nobler goal than going against Zynga, loathed and hated by developers, gamers and investors alike...

I don't really want to see EA win though.

It might be easy to find oneself rooting for EA on this, but I'd say caution is in order, since if they can manage to get a precedent that says similar game ideas or visuals can't be copied A LOT of developers are going to be in a world of hurt, especially with IP juggernauts that have existed since the 80s like EA and Activision going around town trying to exercise their "rights" upon others supposedly "copying" their concepts.
It might lead to some sort of "patent war" like in the hardware industry between Samsung and Apple.
The sensible thing to do is to root for the lawyers in this one and hope that neither EA or Zynga win, but lose the maximum amount of money in the proceedings.

If you think Zynga copying a few games and monetizing people is bad, just wait till there's a precedent for game design being copyright-able...

I swear, this whole thing has sort of an Operation Barbarossa feel to it.

Eh, EA is evil, but it's a classical sort of evil. I'd rather have an old, feeble company stubbornly clinging to it's old ways as it slowly decays any-day over a young, vicious newcomer with whole new ways of delivering misery.

So, fuck them still, right guys? Because there's obviously no way they can have any sort of selfless intentions. Nope, there has to be some other explanation, because they're evuuul, and everyone knows the evuuul corpuraitons are literally Hitler, even when they're doing what we've been wanting someone to do for years.

EA is up to its delusional shenanigans again I see. Yes EA please take up arms for the industry. God only knows you have been doing right by them this past year.

I honestly don't even care really. I'd rather EA not win, but I'm not gonna be cheering either way. As Dexter pointed out, it'd be bad if they get a precedent, which they could use to bully others, but I honestly just see this being settled out of court somewhere, or if dragged out with the fall of Zynga (what with their current legal issues with insider training).

Dear Game Developers

If you value your life or your reason, keep away from the Moore.

Ea is not the hero we need, its the hero that we deserve, NOT!

How fucking gullible do EA think we are? Protecting the industry my arse, why don't they just come out and say they want to protect their IPs? At least that would be honest.

If they genuinely feel Zynga have ripped them off then nobody's gonna begrudge EA for filing a lawsuit against them, so why make stuff up? How are we supposed to take them seriously about this if they can't even be honest about it? It's like they want bad PR.

I'm glad that someone is finally suing Zynga, but I can't help but feel that EA is a little bit too eagerly proclaiming "Look! Look! We aren't being douchebags! Everyone look, quick!" You know, you wouldn't need to make such a big PR deal out of every not douchebag thing you do, EA, were it not for the fact that in between each good deed you do 50 douchey things.

Hazy992:

How fucking gullible do EA think we are? Protecting the industry my arse, why don't they just come out and say they want to protect their IPs? At least that would be honest.

That's what I'm saying! I highly doubt that EA was just gnashing their teeth like a bull at the gate just dying for an excuse to show Zynga what for. Ever since they filed the law suit all I've been hearing from EA is how they're "doing it for the industry". Yeah right, EA; suddenly you care about the gaming industry after years of douchebag business practices that specifically hurt gaming.

Let's not forget about that open letter that Extra Credits posted not even a year ago.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Hazy992:

That's what I'm saying! I highly doubt that EA was just gnashing their teeth like a bull at the gate just dying for an excuse to show Zynga what for. Ever since they filed the law suit all I've been hearing from EA is how they're "doing it for the industry". Yeah right, EA; suddenly you care about the gaming industry after years of douchebag business practices that specifically hurt gaming.

Let's not forget about that open letter that Extra Credits posted not even a year ago.

Agreed. After years of dicking over consumers and developers alike do they really expect us to believe they're looking out for the industry as a whole all of a sudden? I'm not buying it for a second.

You take years to do that. And when you see somebody ... take months replicating what you've done, you're upset.

Hahaha...oh, wait, you were being serious. Let me laugh harder. BWAHAHAHAH!!!!
This from EA? Oh, these guys are freakin' hilarious.

Because I am not the type who feels the need to post every single inane little thought that leaks out of my head for hundreds of 'friends' to see, Zynga has never once bothered me, therefore I will be rooting for them. Do they have anything outside of facebook games?

I don't usually comment on capatchas, but the Dish TV ad advertizing ad free tv is hilarious.

Hazy992:
Agreed. After years of dicking over consumers and developers alike do they really expect us to believe they're looking out for the industry as a whole all of a sudden? I'm not buying it for a second.

I could just picture them sitting around the meeting table, trying to figure out how the fuck they're going to put a rosy tint on their self-centered business practices, when one guy was like "Wait, Hank down at legal said something about suing Zynga; gamers HATE Zynga! More than even us, I think. We need to start milking this, guys."

I think it was said before, in another context: "You know you screwed up when you make EA look like the good guys.".

WhiteTigerShiro:

Hazy992:

I could just picture them sitting around the meeting table, trying to figure out how the fuck they're going to put a rosy tint on their self-centered business practices, when one guy was like "Wait, Hank down at legal said something about suing Zynga; gamers HATE Zynga! More than even us, I think. We need to start milking this, guys."

I imagine this all took place at their secret volcanic lair and they all laughed maniacally and twirled their moustaches as lightning cracked in the background.

I'm getting them mixed up with cartoon supervillains again aren't I? :P

On the one hand, I hate Zynga more than I hate EA. On the other hand, Zynga is on the brink of destruction anyway. Even if they win, they likely won't last the year. As such, I want them to get this victory so EA doesn't, because it won't help 'em regardless. They both lose, and we the gamers win.

P.S. Thanks

Fr]anc[is:
Because I am not the type who feels the need to post every single inane little thought that leaks out of my head for hundreds of 'friends' to see, Zynga has never once bothered me, therefore I will be rooting for them. Do they have anything outside of facebook games?

Gamers tend to hate Zynga on pure principle. They've earned millions by doing nothing more than stealing other people's ideas and marketing them a lot more. Oh, and let's not forget that they used to use (and even admitted to using) Farmville to run scams; but it's okay, according the CEO of Zynga, because he promises never to do it again. Seriously, he openly admitted that he was scamming people, go to that link and watch the video, he plainly says "I did every horrible thing in the book to just get revenues right away"; and then he just blew it off. Why there wasn't a mass boycott of the game after it became public that he scamming the people who play it, I'll never know.

So yeah, all of that, mixed with the average "hardcore" gamer's distaste for the casual gaming scene in general, and there's a lot of hate for them. So seriously, fuck Zynga, and I hope this runs them into the ground.

So... if Zynga wins, then the video game industry will rapidly devolve into mass plagiarism and ripoffs.
If EA wins, then IP-based suing will increase thousands of times in the video game industry and patent trolls will reign supreme.
And if reality wins, one of these two corporations will get a little bit richer.

Whatever happened to that company/game that promised boobs but all we got was a poor Civ clone?

Hazy992:

I'm getting them mixed up with cartoon supervillains again aren't I? :P

It's more fun when you mix it up the other way around. *Pictures an EA exec getting clobbered by Superman* Heh heh heh... good times... good times...

I'll gladly sit back and watch EA unleash the forces of Mordor on Zynga. Sometimes the only thing that can defeat one evil is an even greater evil. I don't really care what EA's motives are but they're correct that having a large company like themselves may be the only way to stamp out Zynga once and for all.

Brothers and sisters we have but one course of action,

and by Kraken I mean EA.

While Im no EA fanboy i find myself, regardless of their motivations, rooting for them. In this instance i think they are doing the right thing whatever their motive.

This is great. Thanks EA.

We live in an ever changing world, fueled by the internet. It's paramount that we have more litigious activity to define the new mediums we are experiencing. Copyright infringement is being looked into more with the high profile cases. I'd go so far as to say Bethesda suing Notch (Scrolls thingy) was more a publicity stunt, than an act of real hostile intent. Yet it's mere existence, is money being paid to pave the way for a clear(er) path.

It's nice when you have clear(er) rules to play by.

EDIT: Big business hire lawyers. They pay good money regularly for them. Shouldn't they be put to use? Shouldn't you try to get your moneys worth out of them? Shouldn't you use any means necessary to get more bang for your buck?

As for me, I never had heard of the Notch Scrolls thing accept for the Bethesda 'lawsuit' thingy. Still haven't.

*shrugs

YEAH! SUE THAt small company.......wow EA, just wow. Oh well, EA proves once again that if you can't beat Valve, sue another company to take away the bad rep.

I'm so over the "Hate EA" bandwagon. It was kind of cute for a while, people that actually buy, play and enjoy EA games, talking about how horrible they are and how they need to die. Then it was kind of sad, people jumping up and down to be the first to make an evil EA joke in a thread, like they are witty or funny, slapping each other on the back with fake internet laughs and inane quotes. Now it's just annoying.

Can we move on to the next fad? This one is tired.

haha GO EA!!!

regardless of how evil EA is. im quite looking forward to them destroying zynga

DVS BSTrD:
Dear Game Developers

If you value your life or your reason, keep away from the Moore.

*Scottish accent*

Stay off the moores...

I loves me a good Holmes reference.

OT: *Reads EA's claims*

PFFFFFFFFT, HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAH!!!

Oh, you're serious! LEMME LAUGH LOUDER!!

BWA HA HA HA HAAA!!!!!

Okay, okay. Fun is fun, but let's be serious for a moment. EA is just all over the board now. I don't think there's a plan here, if there over was. It's like an indecisive weatherman saying "Oh, let's just see what sticks!". Tell ya what, EA ole' buddy... Keep ignoring Valve and Steam and try suing the pants off of Activision. When, while you two are doddering around, we'll take you by storm. Or should I say...Steam?!

Mwa ha ha ha haaa...

Judgement101:
YEAH! SUE THAt small company.......wow EA, just wow. Oh well, EA proves once again that if you can't beat Valve, sue another company to take away the bad rep.

other than the scamming of people, blatant copying of other people's stuff, and faking reviews of the game I guess I wouldn't have to say fuck them but honestly they're dirty dealings irk me and honestly want EA to win so they can finally be out of here (and so can the 20 farmville requests I keep getting)

Boudica:
I'm so over the "Hate EA" bandwagon. It was kind of cute for a while, people that actually buy, play and enjoy EA games, talking about how horrible they are and how they need to die. Then it was kind of sad, people jumping up and down to be the first to make an evil EA joke in a thread, like they are witty or funny, slapping each other on the back with fake internet laughs and inane quotes. Now it's just annoying.

Can we move on to the next fad? This one is tired.

I enjoy some games but honestly I hate the people behind it not like a "OMG BOYCOTT!!!!!1!!" more like a wow what stupid thing to do how come you did that plus ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in

Phlakes:
So, fuck them still, right guys? Because there's obviously no way they can have any sort of selfless intentions. Nope, there has to be some other explanation, because they're evuuul, and everyone knows the evuuul corpuraitons are literally Hitler, even when they're doing what we've been wanting someone to do for years.

It's pretty obvious they're not doing it for selfless reasons, they are protecting the value of their IP and hard work. Clearly EA is in the right here, and sure they deserve to parade the "we're not the bad guys here" flag for this, but EA's previous history prevents me to see them as the savior and more as just another corporation suing an even worse corporation for clearly illegal practices.

Golem239:
Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in

Ah. So you only stand for your beliefs when they don't get in the way of you playing the video games you like lol.

Big, big mistake, really HUGE. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence as a company, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never ever want to meet in a courtroom. EA.

Hmm, not sure if I can back EA when they missed such an easy opportunity to quote LotR in an appropriate situation...

Just ignore them both. EA is losing money with this lawsuit and Zynga is losing money by being sued. In the end, they'll both waste one anothers' time and money.

EA whores for the limelight by doing something, anything in order to stay relevant in the news. It just so happens that the person they're attacking isn't the customers.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here