EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

FalloutJack:

DVS BSTrD:
Dear Game Developers

If you value your life or your reason, keep away from the Moore.

*Scottish accent*

Stay off the moores...

I loves me a good Holmes reference.

OT: *Reads EA's claims*

PFFFFFFFFT, HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAAAAH!!!

Oh, you're serious! LEMME LAUGH LOUDER!!

BWA HA HA HA HAAA!!!!!

Okay, okay. Fun is fun, but let's be serious for a moment. EA is just all over the board now. I don't think there's a plan here, if there over was. It's like an indecisive weatherman saying "Oh, let's just see what sticks!". Tell ya what, EA ole' buddy... Keep ignoring Valve and Steam and try suing the pants off of Activision. When, while you two are doddering around, we'll take you by storm. Or should I say...Steam?!

Mwa ha ha ha haaa...

You mean the company that recently forced me to accept a new TOS giving away some of my rights to take action against them if I feel it necessary. At least, if I want to ever access the thousands of dollars worth of games I have in the STEAM store?

Yeah, Valve is such a blessed saint. Can't do anything wrong, can they?

P.S.: I don't hate Valve. I love them. Awesome company, and awesome guys. But the ridiculous nature of fanboys on the internet praising them to high heavens and simultaneously bashing anything EA does is just ridiculous and sometimes gets me to post, even though that's pointless. XD

NKRevan:
-Snip=

Hey, you're not well. Sit down, relax, and stop taking the internet so seriously. We all know who does what around here. Needling those guys is just for laughs. Now calm down, stranger, and take a load off or by the end of the week you'll believe in conspiracies from the NHK.

Boudica:

Golem239:
Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in

Ah. So you only stand for your beliefs when they don't get in the way of you playing the video games you like lol.

yeah cause it's games is there anything for me to stand for when it comes to games? they're meant to be fun (until microtransactions get involved to a point of pay to win)

This seems less "Luke fighting Vadar for the good of us all" and more "Count Dooku being killed by Palatine to further his plans." Not all actions have a good and evil side, and not all fights have someone who is worth rooting for.

Boudica:
I'm so over the "Hate EA" bandwagon. It was kind of cute for a while, people that actually buy, play and enjoy EA games, talking about how horrible they are and how they need to die. Then it was kind of sad, people jumping up and down to be the first to make an evil EA joke in a thread, like they are witty or funny, slapping each other on the back with fake internet laughs and inane quotes. Now it's just annoying.

Can we move on to the next fad? This one is tired.

This... is a news story on EA saying it's defending the gaming industry... EA downright baited this kindof response by the people angry at their business practices. Go ahead and enjoy the games by EA, I know I do, but I understand the people who dislike things they've done.

FalloutJack:

NKRevan:
-Snip=

Hey, you're not well. Sit down, relax, and stop taking the internet so seriously. We all know who does what around here. Needling those guys is just for laughs. Now calm down, stranger, and take a load off or by the end of the week you'll believe in conspiracies from the NHK.

Uhhhh. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Who's not calm? ;)

NKRevan:

FalloutJack:

NKRevan:
-Snip=

Uhhhh. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Who's not calm? ;)

Well, as I'm the one dozing, that makes it you. So I'll say good night, and bid you adieu.

NiPah:

Boudica:
I'm so over the "Hate EA" bandwagon. It was kind of cute for a while, people that actually buy, play and enjoy EA games, talking about how horrible they are and how they need to die. Then it was kind of sad, people jumping up and down to be the first to make an evil EA joke in a thread, like they are witty or funny, slapping each other on the back with fake internet laughs and inane quotes. Now it's just annoying.

This... is a news story on EA saying it's defending the gaming industry... EA downright baited this kindof response by the people angry at their business practices. Go ahead and enjoy the games by EA, I know I do, but I understand the people who dislike things they've done.

I'm just so over news stories being flooded with "EA is evul lol." It's the exact same comments every time, in every thread, almost word for word and it's way past being a little old.

We get, you (not YOU, but the people posting the hate) think EA is mean. Super. Now go back to buying their games and having all the moral conviction of a fridge magnet.

Example: "Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in."

Translation: "They are a horrible company and they do horrible things to the industry. But I'm going to keep supporting them because I want to play their video games."

Ok this isn't quite the pot calling the kettle black, but EA is hardly the epitome of moral and just behavior so the idea of them "standing up for the industry" isn't exactly a concept I can wrap my head around. ...not with a straight face anyway.

Dexter111:
If you think Zynga copying a few games and monetizing people is bad, just wait till there's a precedent for game design being copyright-able...

Oooooooh, that's a scary thought. Copyright laws are batshit insane enough as it is, we definitely don't need that.

EA are still one of the worst companies there is :/... EA just wants to fix its reputation after realizing that it's abysmal.

[insert a yo momma joke about EA milking the situation]

But yeah, lesser evil and stuff.

Wouldn't it be awesome is EA sued Zynga out of existence and then EA got taken private as rumors? Would be even sweeter if the private equity firm screwed EA up more and THEY went out of business.

FalloutJack:

NKRevan:

FalloutJack:

Uhhhh. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Who's not calm? ;)

Well, as I'm the one dozing, that makes it you. So I'll say good night, and bid you adieu.

G'night! ;)

OT: Zynga deserves to burn in flames. Truth is that EA is probably one of the few companies with the capabilities to do this. So good for EA. For once their personal interests and public interest match. :)

I hope nobody actually believes that.

Zynga is bleeding all in the water and the logical conclusion is that some opportunistic shark is going to go out of it's way to try and eat.

They'd have never done this had Zynga not run into financial trouble. Just trying to drive more nails in the coffin.

Stop it EA. Stop trying to champion yourself and turn this in to publicity spin. It's not going to make us like you.

Both companies are evil and they both deserve a good punch. But considering that EA has been punched to death and is sitll standing enough to punch yet another new opponent is amazing in its own right.
Personally, i want to see them both fail, but if i have to choose, id rather have EA than Zynga. Yes i said it.

At worse, EA will win and Zynga will die, leaving EA alive for a little while longer

At best, they are both screwed

I want the latter.

As Zynga has made the gaming equivalent of youtube poop, and very thinly veiled ripoffs of other IPs I still cannot fathom why they are even a company let alone a (formerly) successful one.

Way to kick them when they are down EA!

I haven't the desire to throughly research the ins and outs of both sides claims. I'll just assume Zynga was infringing on EA and EA chose to wait till Zynga's stock tanked to summon the Legal Ninjas (a trademark they almost assuredly already own) to deliver the killing blow.

Is it a PR stunt? Probably. Do they have a decent case against Zynga? They are EA, so does that really matter if they didn't?

Hah! Doing it for the industry my arse. This is just EA trying to grab good PR while attacking someone who is their rival in a particular field. Hopefully they'll both end up burning from this lawsuit. Neither deserve anything better.

I don't like EA, I don't like what they do to the companies they buy and their IPs.

They're doing this for their own sake and to patch up their bad reputation, but even so they're doing something I like here.

Whoever looses, I'll win.

Phlakes:
So, fuck them still, right guys? Because there's obviously no way they can have any sort of selfless intentions. Nope, there has to be some other explanation, because they're evuuul, and everyone knows the evuuul corpuraitons are literally Hitler, even when they're doing what we've been wanting someone to do for years.

Boudica:

I agree with the both of you. EA has acted rather questionably more than once, but they are not the black pit of evilness people around here make it out to be.
I still think that anyone who voted EA to be "America's Worst Company" deserves a nice slap across the face. Maybe that teaches some perspective.

OT: I am absolutely, definitely rooting for EA here and think they deserve a pat on the back, for when they win, they create a nice precedent.
And I swear, if any other company did the "You have my sword" -- "You have our shield" dialogue here (especially if it was an indie developer), people here would have a collective nerdgasm.

canadamus_prime:

Dexter111:
If you think Zynga copying a few games and monetizing people is bad, just wait till there's a precedent for game design being copyright-able...

Oooooooh, that's a scary thought. Copyright laws are batshit insane enough as it is, we definitely don't need that.

This mindset is a problem.
"Copying other people's work is bad! Don't do that!"
"But oh, copyright laws and protection by law is just as bad! We definitely don't want that."

Seriously. Decide, guys.

Bloodstain:

Phlakes:
So, fuck them still, right guys? Because there's obviously no way they can have any sort of selfless intentions. Nope, there has to be some other explanation, because they're evuuul, and everyone knows the evuuul corpuraitons are literally Hitler, even when they're doing what we've been wanting someone to do for years.

Boudica:

I agree with the both of you. EA has acted rather questionably more than once, but they are not the black pit of evilness people around here make it out to be.
I still think that anyone who voted EA to be "America's Worst Company" deserves a nice slap across the face. Maybe that teaches some perspective.

OT: I am absolutely, definitely rooting for EA here and think they deserve a pat on the back, for when they win, they create a nice precedent.
And I swear, if any other company did the "You have my sword" -- "You have our shield" dialogue here (especially if it was an indie developer), people here would have a collective nerdgasm.

Number One Rule of Escapist: if EA does it, it's the worst/dumbest thing in the world. If Valve does it, it's genius/awesome.

WhiteTigerShiro:
I'm glad that someone is finally suing Zynga, but I can't help but feel that EA is a little bit too eagerly proclaiming "Look! Look! We aren't being douchebags! Everyone look, quick!" You know, you wouldn't need to make such a big PR deal out of every not douchebag thing you do, EA, were it not for the fact that in between each good deed you do 50 douchey things.

Pretty much this. I've had it up to here with Zynga for quite a while and am glad someone is going to be taking that bull by the horns in battle.. I just don't really think EA was the best person for the job. They may be financially secure enough to go into this fight and walk away unscathed, but their motives are dubious at best. Like a guy rushing to save a damsel in distress but only brandishes his shield in order to hide the raging hard-on he already has ready for afterwards. There's no sense that they're doing this for us, but rather for themselves.

EA should have kept their mouth shut, they aren't fooling anyone that they are doing this 'for the people' and they are just patronizing the greater populous by trying to say so.
The better thing to have done is to quietly roll out a few more examples of some of the ripoffs from Zynga and other smaller indi companies and so forth... instead of loud mouthing their 'heroic' stance.

This would backfire if someone were to make a list of the blatant copies EA has done to indi developers and published detailed cases. Where EA would even lose more support (internet wise).

EA are douchebags who deserve to go under.

However, devil you know and all that. We can deal with EA - they still put out 1/2 decent games and at least try not to fuck up all the time.

EA is like Satan. Hates people, but does evil for a purpose.
Zynga just want to watch the world burn.

Boudica:

You sir/maam, I like.

But alas, we're on the Escapist. There are people here in this very thread trying to paint EA as the devil for doing the 1 thing it is entitled to do: protect it's IP.

Well, someone needs to do it. I despise Zynga and I'm not going to despise EA any less for doing this, but I'm glad it's being done. As much as I hate to admit it...EA does actually put some effort in, as opposed to just cloning every popular game and microtransactioning the absolute s*** out of them. EA isn't doing this for us though, this is a commercial problem, or at the very most, a ploy to try and for once make some good PR. Although that said, I think an even more effective strategy would be not allowing anyone in the company to speak publicly about all the ways they intend to ream customers in the future (paying for bullets, unconvincing cough).

Aeonknight:

Boudica:

You sir/maam, I like.

But alas, we're on the Escapist. There are people here in this very thread trying to paint EA as the devil for doing the 1 thing it is entitled to do: protect it's IP.

I wish people had to put their money where their mouth is. I wonder then, how many people would be screaming devil when EA does something. As someone said in this thread:

"Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in."

Ethics and beliefs -- so long as they don't get between me and ma video games!

Boudica:

Aeonknight:

Boudica:

You sir/maam, I like.

I wish people had to put their money where their mouth is. I wonder then, how many people would be screaming devil when EA does something. As someone said in this thread:

"Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in."

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I was saying the same thing back when people were frothing at the mouth over... whatever at the time, but still saying "I'm buying Mass Effect 3 anyway". And anyone who was around for the ending scandal and avalanche of threads knows just how many of the posters on this site are hypocrites for wishing death upon one of the few good developers left all because their PR department is obnoxious while admitting they support said practices in the same breath.

WhiteTigerShiro:
...Let's not forget about that open letter that Extra Credits posted not even a year ago.

Yeah... the actual link for that is http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing

(Please don't use youtube for EC vids, it makes me feel like you hate penny arcade for helping them... Besides which there is no region locking or ContentID bullcrap on penny arcade anyway!)

felbot:
you know i wanna laugh at them but ea is the lesser evil in this case so ill let them have their little moment of grandeur, still ea supposedly being our "shield" is just ridiculous.

"A paper shield would at least be better than nothing, it would have held them for a second" - Space-Warden Cave Johnson.

Aeonknight:

Boudica:

Aeonknight:

You sir/maam, I like.

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I was saying the same thing back when people were frothing at the mouth over... whatever at the time, but still saying "I'm buying Mass Effect 3 anyway". And anyone who was around for the ending scandal and avalanche of threads knows just how many of the posters on this site are hypocrites for wishing death upon one of the few good developers left all because their PR department is obnoxious.

Mhm. EA can do no right, according to most people here. Defend their IP? Monsters! Sue a company most people here claim to despise for their plagiarism? Suck ups! DLC? Greedy! Try to start client based webstore to combat Steam? I only want one client running! Say anything at all? lolEA.

If it were, say, Valve... Not release a game for a decade? They are just making sure it's good. Add items to game and charge people for them? Cool! Fun items! Steam? Love it!

There should be some kind of law; every time you say EA is evil, for every EA game you own, you must give $100 to me.

Seriously, guys, PR is a lucrative field, and if you want to see it in its consummate form, you need look no further than the current actions/statements of the bigger game publishers. This is educational, and any aspiring spin doctors should be furiously taking notes.

This particular tactic is commonly referred to as the "martyr platform", or "martyr statement".

However, you'd best remember- just as Clinton never inhaled, you should never swallow.

Why are so many people against Zynga? Has Zynga ever bought a company just to run it to the ground? Started absurd DLC schemes? No, they just keep making games for your mom on Facebook, there is nothing they do that affects you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here