EA "Standing Up for the Industry" by Suing Zynga

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

/give EA 46 64

/give Zynga 46 64

FIGHT!

BUISNESSMAN FIGHT! This is going to be the most interesting thing in the world of gaming in years.

Boudica:

Aeonknight:

Boudica:
I wish people had to put their money where their mouth is. I wonder then, how many people would be screaming devil when EA does something. As someone said in this thread:

"Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in."

Ethics and beliefs -- so long as they don't get between me and ma video games!

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I was saying the same thing back when people were frothing at the mouth over... whatever at the time, but still saying "I'm buying Mass Effect 3 anyway". And anyone who was around for the ending scandal and avalanche of threads knows just how many of the posters on this site are hypocrites for wishing death upon one of the few good developers left all because their PR department is obnoxious.

Mhm. EA can do no right, according to most people here. Defend their IP? Monsters! Sue a company most people here claim to despise for their plagiarism? Suck ups! DLC? Greedy! Try to start client based webstore to combat Steam? I only want one client running! Say anything at all? lolEA.

If it were, say, Valve... Not release a game for a decade? They are just making sure it's good. Add items to game and charge people for them? Cool! Fun items! Steam? Love it!

There should be some kind of law; every time you say EA is evil, for every EA game you own, you must give $100 to me.

I think I may love both of you.

I hope EA wins this and I hope people will stop bashing them already. I've been supporting the company for years and I truly never had a negative experience with them. I don't get why people are so enraged over some of their marketing either. Maybe people get more easily offended these days. I sure never went "Omg EA, you are destroying the games industry and the image of all gamers!"

Angry Juju:
EA are still one of the worst companies there is :/... EA just wants to fix its reputation after realizing that it's abysmal.

And how is that a bad thing?

Nachtmahr:

Boudica:

Aeonknight:

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I was saying the same thing back when people were frothing at the mouth over... whatever at the time, but still saying "I'm buying Mass Effect 3 anyway". And anyone who was around for the ending scandal and avalanche of threads knows just how many of the posters on this site are hypocrites for wishing death upon one of the few good developers left all because their PR department is obnoxious.

Mhm. EA can do no right, according to most people here. Defend their IP? Monsters! Sue a company most people here claim to despise for their plagiarism? Suck ups! DLC? Greedy! Try to start client based webstore to combat Steam? I only want one client running! Say anything at all? lolEA.

If it were, say, Valve... Not release a game for a decade? They are just making sure it's good. Add items to game and charge people for them? Cool! Fun items! Steam? Love it!

There should be some kind of law; every time you say EA is evil, for every EA game you own, you must give $100 to me.

I think I may love both of you.

I hope EA wins this and I hope people will stop bashing them already. I've been supporting the company for years and I truly never had a negative experience with them. I don't get why people are so enraged over some of their marketing either. Maybe people get more easily offended these days. I sure never went "Omg EA, you are destroying the games industry and the image of all gamers!"

Herd mentality. It gets people every time. From EA to sexism, what will be next is anyone's guess. Having to actually think for yourself and formulate opinions based on actual study is too hard, apparently lol. "You guys hate EA? Yeah, me too. They... Do those things you said they do, am I right!"

Boudica:

Aeonknight:

Boudica:
I wish people had to put their money where their mouth is. I wonder then, how many people would be screaming devil when EA does something. As someone said in this thread:

"Ignoring them is hard if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft, nintendo, and valve and all the indie games and they don't have such a huge set list of games I'm interested in."

Ethics and beliefs -- so long as they don't get between me and ma video games!

What if I know that EA is evil, but I don't mind since every game company is evil?

the only reason EA does anything is money. Call me cynical if you will but it seems that EA is the most money grubbing company i've ever seen even worse considering that its main competitor is Activision. who are well know for yearly releases and overpriced DLC.

Judgement101:
YEAH! SUE THAt small company.......wow EA, just wow. Oh well, EA proves once again that if you can't beat Valve, sue another company to take away the bad rep.

You really think Zynga is small? This is the facebook developer that is big enough that it could afford to rip off every other studio who used facebook as a medium and shrug it off every time the studios wanted to do something about it. Zynga is by no means small.

Boudica:
I'm so over the "Hate EA" bandwagon. It was kind of cute for a while, people that actually buy, play and enjoy EA games, talking about how horrible they are and how they need to die. Then it was kind of sad, people jumping up and down to be the first to make an evil EA joke in a thread, like they are witty or funny, slapping each other on the back with fake internet laughs and inane quotes. Now it's just annoying.

Can we move on to the next fad? This one is tired.

Everyone, please read this. This is wonderfully blunt and very, very true.

Angry Juju:
EA are still one of the worst companies there is :/... EA just wants to fix its reputation after realizing that it's abysmal.

One of the worst? Lol.

Things that some of the worst companies produce:

Pesticides
    Bombs
    Weapons of war
    Poison
    Guns
    Fear

Things EA produces:

Video games

Any company they have purchased has elected to be purchased or has been saved from bankruptcy by their purchase. Don't like their games? Think they ask for too much money? Dislike their public relations? Their support? Bad company. One of the worst? Ha. Not even close.

Bhaalspawn:

Angry Juju:

And how is that a bad thing?

Because they yet again believe doing one good over a hundred evils would fix their reputation. If they managed to finally stay "good" for a while, rather than diving straight back into the black water within the next few days, everyone would stop complaining. But they don't. So we don't stop complaining.

Next, could people please stop pretending all EA haters were hypocrites? I haven't bought a single EA game for Origin - and since I don't own a console either, that does mean I'm still largely boycotting them, with their Origin exclusive bullshittery.

As was said before: If this goes to court, we are all in big trouble ...
If Zynga win, copying games is no longer a no-no.
If EA win, IP juggernauts will reign supreme.
And if they settle out of court, Zynga goes down almost instantly and we lose the fun of watching them die a horrible, slow and painful death. Or, of course, those greedy Zynga execs pay with their own money, in which case we have another group of PR-whores.

Dexter111:
I don't really want to see EA win though.

You know who I'd like to see win one of these IP pissing contests for once? The consumer.

Of course, I'm one of those crazy radicals that doesn't equate 'good for the gaming industry' to 'good for gaming/gamers'. In fact, a lot of the time the two are in opposition to one another.

The opening paragraph makes me wish I could actually see this match as two giant monsters fighting.

Actually, that sounds like a great idea for a game...

Golem239:
if I ignore all the evil publishers I'd be left with bethesda, CD projekt, ubisoft

Since when haven't Ubisoft been evil?

I think EA wants to make friends.

Oh, please, Mr. Moore. Your company is not doing this for altruistic reasons. A big competitor is struggling, and you see an opportunity to go for its jugular, nothing more, nothing less.

Doesn't mean I don't want EA to still do it, as my hatred for Zynga only barely eclipses that of EA, but let's be honest here. EA is no hero, it is doing what any big corporation would do.

Boudica:
Heard mentality.

-a

From EA to sexism, what will be next is anyone's guess.

*disembowels goat for a bit of augury*

PS3 version of Dishonored running poorly leads to 'Badly Optimised Games = Theft' shitfight.

RhombusHatesYou:

Boudica:
Heard mentality.

-a

From EA to sexism, what will be next is anyone's guess.

*disembowels goat for a bit of augury*

PS3 version of Dishonored running poorly leads to 'Badly Optimised Games = Theft' shitfight.

Whoops. Wrong herd XD

I shall fix. Thanks ^^

No, EA, you're not "standing up for the industry", you're standing up for yourself. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to label yourself as white knights for suing some guys that plagiarized you in order to make the games grandma play on facebook, is kind of laughable.

Although, if this keeps you from being evil towards your customers, I'm not going to complain, I guess.

I love it when two entities I strongly dislike to go war with each other. Where's my popcorn?

Dexter111:
I'm sure they'd like us to think so, after all they are in dire need of some good PR right now and what could possibly be a nobler goal than going against Zynga, loathed and hated by developers, gamers and investors alike...

It might be easy to find oneself rooting for EA on this, but I'd say caution is in order, since if they can manage to get a precedent that says similar game ideas or visuals can't be copied A LOT of developers are going to be in a world of hurt, especially with IP juggernauts that have existed since the 80s like EA and Activision going around town trying to exercise their "rights" upon others supposedly "copying" their concepts.
It might lead to some sort of "patent war" like in the hardware industry between Samsung and Apple.
The sensible thing to do is to root for the lawyers in this one and hope that neither EA or Zynga win, but lose the maximum amount of money in the proceedings.

If you think Zynga copying a few games and monetizing people is bad, just wait till there's a precedent for game design being copyright-able...

Now that is a dam big load of fucking shit. Wait how the fuck is this going to set a precedant? This is the exact same shit that has been going on for years and years. If you copy another companies game to closely you are going to get sued.

Do you honestly believe the bullshit you write on these forums? Oh thats right your just another EA hater who makes up shit to try and stir up hatred against them.

Dexter111:
If you think Zynga copying a few games and monetizing people is bad, just wait till there's a precedent for game design being copyright-able...

I have a lot of thoughts on this but I have to leave right now.
Basically it's going to destroy the industry when small studios simply can't afford to try as they might get sued after creating a successful IP. Of course that lawsuit would really only be a buyout tactic.

This is bad for everyone.

Suki_:
Now that is a dam big load of fucking shit. Wait how the fuck is this going to set a precedant? This is the exact same shit that has been going on for years and years. If you copy another companies game to closely you are going to get sued.

Do you honestly believe the bullshit you write on these forums? Oh thats right your just another EA hater who makes up shit to try and stir up hatred against them.

Uhm, no, nothing of the likes has been happening, the only suits are over other companies using the same ASSETS. Please provide a link or any evidence to "all this happening for years"

What EA is trying to prove is that the same or similar DESIGN is a case of infringement, since Zynga most certainly made their own assets.
If they win this case and are awarded damages or anything else they have set a LEGAL PRECEDENT in the US that game design is prone to infringement.

And then they can go through their libraries and start arguing that they had "the first Dungeon Keeper game" and have the rights for that and start suing games similar to that like "Dungeons" or "Impire" or that they made the first "god game" with this and that feature with Populous and sue developers that want to develop anything like that and then they can go steps further and argue that a certain leveling system was developed by them or First Person Shooters with certain mechanics are their property and then everyone that doesn't have years of game design precedent and titles under their belt (like EA for instance that has existed since 1982 and has published several games of each existing genre) is fucked just like the Mobile Phone industry right now:

Or if you want it larger and more detailed: http://www.ambercite.com/downloads/Smartphone%20Patent%20Battlefield_13Apr2011.pdf

Choose the lesser of two evils. At least EA still has SOME core games while Zynga turns people into zombies.

Dexter111:
mindless dribble

I really have to ask again do you honestly believe the bullshit that you type on here? I mean I just cant comprehend how anybody could actually be so blind as to believe that. This lawsuit is the exact same as every copyright suit that zynga has except that they are the one being sued this time.

You dont need to bother replying though since you have proven you dont have anything intelligent to say on this subject.

This is about fucking FACEBOOK GAMES, who the fuck gives a shit?

ok, i still have to say: keep going €A. but i still hate you.
must be the first time i have to agree with them and that i actually support them. someone pinch me. i must be dreaming this.

I gotta love the EA hating on this site.

They do something bad, hate them.
They do something good, hate them.

We get it. You hate EA for several (relevant) reasons. But can't you accept that they're in the right in this instance without making yourselves seem petty?

I am actually on the boycotting anything new by EA train, but in this instance, I do think that they are in the right and I hope they demolish Zynga in the process. Taking some ideas and getting inspired is one thing... its another to basically copy the work as blatantly as they did.

Don't even care if they just want money. Give 'em Hell, EA!

EA (Evil Agenda) claiming to be a paragon of virtue in the gaming industry........ is it end of days already?

It's like a douche bag standing up for the integrity of being a douched bag.

Suki_:

Dexter111:
mindless dribble

I really have to ask again do you honestly believe the bullshit that you type on here? I mean I just cant comprehend how anybody could actually be so blind as to believe that. This lawsuit is the exact same as every copyright suit that zynga has except that they are the one being sued this time.

You dont need to bother replying though since you have proven you dont have anything intelligent to say on this subject.

There's been a single Copyright lawsuit initiated against Zynga, which was settled outside of court for ~$7-9 Million: http://techcrunch.com/2009/09/13/zynga-settles-mob-wars-litigation-as-it-settles-in-to-playdom-war/

Every other suit has been over Trademark infringement or has been otherwise settled, THERE IS NO LEGAL PRECEDENT for copying gameplay/design of a game and I explained the possible repercussions of exactly that above.

I don't appreciate you constantly insulting me either or trying to tell me what I can or can not do.

Dexter111:
I'm sure they'd like us to think so, after all they are in dire need of some good PR right now and what could possibly be a nobler goal than going against Zynga, loathed and hated by developers, gamers and investors alike...

It might be easy to find oneself rooting for EA on this, but I'd say caution is in order, since if they can manage to get a precedent that says similar game ideas or visuals can't be copied A LOT of developers are going to be in a world of hurt, especially with IP juggernauts that have existed since the 80s like EA and Activision going around town trying to exercise their "rights" upon others supposedly "copying" their concepts.
It might lead to some sort of "patent war" like in the hardware industry between Samsung and Apple.
The sensible thing to do is to root for the lawyers in this one and hope that neither EA or Zynga win, but lose the maximum amount of money in the proceedings.

Exactly my thoughts. As much as I hate Zynga's business model, EA doesn't own an entire genre. Letting EA win this could be far more disastrous than letting Zynga have their shitty Chinese-like clone.

Believe it or not, I actually believe that EA does have some moral credit on this. Why? Because this is the second time they've gone for the throat and spent money to crush the troll when it would have been easier to ignore it and let it slink off.

Case in poimt, EA vs Tim Langdell. Tim has learned his lesson by now and would love nothing more than to have EA stop spending money to make his life a living hell, but EA continues to pay lawyers to persue the death of his trademarks even though he keeps throwing up BS reasons to dodge the loss. (Yes, I know they are protecting Mirror's Edge, but that fight was over long ago. Right now they are just making sure he cannot do this BS again.)

So while I agree that EA makes a lot of stupid choices, and I will never completely forgive them for Origin and Westwood, they have been painting a bulls-eye on people they feel threaten indi devs and actually spending more money than they really have to to make sure abuses go away.

There are a lot of Indi Devs out there, not gamers but Devs, that are thankful to EA recently. Thus, when they say "You have our shield." to somebody right now, they have backed it up enough to prove to me they mean it.

Disagreements we may have with EA aside, they never gave my phone number to a company that tried to sneakily charge $10 to my bill. Zynga has.

Dexter111:
I don't appreciate you constantly insulting me either or trying to tell me what I can or can not do.

Well then you should probably stop posting insane paranoid dribble. Especially when it doesnt have any basis and history has already proven you wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here