Real-life Hover Vehicle Flies 15 Feet High

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Real-life Hover Vehicle Flies 15 Feet High

Mechanical engineering could allow people to control aerial vehicles without pilot training.

Hover vehicles are a staple of science fiction, with some notable examples being Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder in Star Wars: A New Hope and Return of the Jedi's Speeder bikes. Thanks to a California-based engineering firm, that sci-fi fantasy is becoming a reality. Aerofex has resurrected a design abandoned in the 1960s to make an intuitive aerial vehicle that can be flown without pilot training.

As aerospace engineer and Aerofex founder Mark De Roche explains, the vehicle could be responsible for "lowering the threshold of flight, down to the domain of ATVs." It's controlled by a mechanical system with controlled by two knee-level bars that respond to the pilot's movement and balance. Using a simple mechanical system, instead of complicated electronics or artificial intelligence, makes piloting the hover vehicle easy to learn, giving more people quicker access to areas without roads or methods of transportation. Some of the "unique advantages" of the craft include "flight within trees, close to walls, and under bridges."

Currently, the vehicle is undergoing manned tests at heights of 15 feet, with a maximum speed of about 30 miles per hour. Don't rush out to the store to get your own, though, as Aerofex currently has no plans to sell a manned version. Instead, it will be used to develop unmanned drones, which could utilize the same hover technology to deliver supplies or perform other tasks.

Source & Image: Yahoo News

All very well and good, but I want me my flying cars, dammit!

not planning on selling a manned version?

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

it's like they hate money or something...

What, why are you not selling me this right now.
I mean this is awesome, there is going to be a market.
They've gone through the trouble of making it easy for people already and now they want to get rid of them, what the hell guys?

Can't say I'm not a fan of his work!

Cool! When do we get our hover-boards? :D

Oh, sure, let the drones have all the fun.

pfft keep your flying cars, your hoverboards. give me a hover tank

Daaaah Whoosh:
Oh, sure, let the drones have all the fun.

Build hovercraft that really flies, make it a drone and don't sell it to people, get military contract, ???, profit.

Get rich quick scheme if I ever saw one.

I'd like one.

Don't give me one of those. This will happen:

They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?

Get it out for under 15k and I'd buy one for sure!

I would just love this!

Ralen-Sharr:

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

Because health and safety will shit on it. Cars are dangerous enough anyway. I have a simple rule when out walking : All drivers are morons, no exceptions. It's saved my arse a few times with the way some dicks drive, so to give someone something that goes a good speed up to 15 feet is just asking for trouble.

I WANT ONE!

Holy crap. I do believe this is the first flying car prototype.

DVS BSTrD:
Can't say I'm not a fan of his work!

I hover around these forums looking for your puns

Is there a way for people you have on ignore not showing up in quoted posts too? It really defeats the purpose if I still end up seeing what they write.

If these things could be made to carry as much cargo and passengers as a large van, it would certainly make the logistics of archaeological and geological expeditions simpler. Sometimes the hardest part of those projects is navigating remote areas that are several miles away from the nearest thing you could call a road.

Might not be a bad idea for hospitals either.

I will sell my car, atv and a leg to own one of these. Hmm well I might need my leg.

Vault Citizen:
They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?

Probably, these guys are just ripping off 50-year-old technology. Although you'd have to make a lot of improvements to make the thing worthwhile as now it's just a super-expensive ATV that can't carry much cargo and tops out at a lame 30 mph.

Did anyone else instantly think of Black Ops 2 after he read this news artlcle.

i just thought boy i bet that is loud as hell when running, no reason it could not be made safe like limiting the flight ceiling, limiting the speed, for public idiocy.

thing probably sounds like a harrier jet however, when people sized.

ERTW. SOMEONE PUT GUNS AND MISSILES ON IT! I demand hoverbike races and death-matches to become an Olympic sport!

Vault Citizen:

Ralen-Sharr:

Because everything that has been invented *MUST* be produced for the market, R&D and production cost be damned.

Let's all ignore the differences between prototypes and final versions, the initial costs of mass production and the absolute uncertainty of the profits.

Somethingfake:
Because health and safety will shit on it. Cars are dangerous enough anyway. I have a simple rule when out walking : All drivers are morons, no exceptions. It's saved my arse a few times with the way some dicks drive, so to give someone something that goes a good speed up to 15 feet is just asking for trouble.

Can health and safety actually do anything if it's just meant for private property? Selling it doesn't imply making it "street legal".

cerebus23:
i just thought boy i bet that is loud as hell when running, no reason it could not be made safe like limiting the flight ceiling, limiting the speed, for public idiocy.

thing probably sounds like a harrier jet however, when people sized.

AND EET'S WHEESPER QWI-YET!

ElPatron:
ERTW. SOMEONE PUT GUNS AND MISSILES ON IT! I demand hoverbike races and death-matches to become an Olympic sport!

Vault Citizen:

Ralen-Sharr:

Because everything that has been invented *MUST* be produced for the market, R&D and production cost be damned.

Let's all ignore the differences between prototypes and final versions, the initial costs of mass production and the absolute uncertainty of the profits.

Somethingfake:

Can health and safety actually do anything if it's just meant for private property? Selling it doesn't imply making it "street legal".

It would be somewhat detrimental to sales when it's not allowed to be driven anywhere outside private property.

Kargathia:
It would be somewhat detrimental to sales when it's not allowed to be driven anywhere outside private property.

Karts are not street legal. Just saying.

Something doesn't need to be street legal when the most logical uses of that hoverbike are sports and derping around in big properties.

And to be detrimental to sales, they would have to assume people want to drive this in roads and build enough units accordingly. Somehow I don't think they would ever produce more than they could think it would sell.

ElPatron:

Kargathia:

Karts are not street legal. Just saying.

Something doesn't need to be street legal when the most logical uses of that hoverbike are sports and derping around in big properties.

And to be detrimental to sales, they would have to assume people want to drive this in roads and build enough units accordingly. Somehow I don't think they would ever produce more than they could think it would sell.

The most logical application of this is not sports, but the access of road-less areas. Deserts, swamps, and mountains come to mind.

Also: it being street legal would significantly adjust their sales projections. When it being street legal means it will certainly sell more units, then the lack of legality is, in fact, detrimental.

Ok, now we just need plasma repeaters and we've got everything we need to make my dream car.

erttheking:
Ok, now we just need plasma repeaters and we've got everything we need to make my dream car.

Hah! I was just thinking "I gotta buy one of these!"

poiumty:
Did anyone else instantly think of Black Ops 2 after he read this news artlcle.

And yes... Yes, I did.

[Someone quote me please?]
SPEAKING of which, do you need a license to hover one of those things? I failed my drivers test 3 times this year. Bloody sheep, if I had heli's instead of wheals, I'd just shave them, not kill them!

The real problam is ITS ALMOST 2015! Where are the Hoverboards? we better have them in 2015 or I will go mad

OT: Sell a manned version we all want it

I haven't seen anything about the flight time, if it has a decent amount of time it can remain airborne, it could really be useful in cities.

put it on the market, remove the limitations and I would buy one in a heart beat.

Awe, the military always gets the best toys first, it's not fair.:(

So, they have one of the most easily marketable things possible, have it hovering high enough that hitting someone is damn near impossible(although i can see a fan like that flinging someone like a ragdoll), fuel efficient enough for a drone version to even be considered, moderately fast, and designed to be easy for someone to control... and they want to make it exclusively a drone vehicle. Beyond the obvious logic gap there, can anyone think of any unmanned use that doesn't end in "terrorist sticks metal rod into drone fan, $1 million lost"?

Old technology, that thing is heavy and slow.

For the real deal you'll actually be able to buy you want to check out the Malloy Hoverbike.

*focusing on drones*
DAMMIT THE DRONES ALWAYS GET THE COOL STUFF!
Seriously I would totally buy one of those, and I hope they become the norm in my lifetime.

Veldie:
The real problam is ITS ALMOST 2015! Where are the Hoverboards? we better have them in 2015 or I will go mad

OT: Sell a manned version we all want it

Don't forgot auto-lace shoes, and it is rumored they would actually do that for the 2015 edition of the replica, when they released a version without auto-lace last year.

We also still missing Cold Fusion for the Mr. Fusion. =p

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or