Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication After 24 Years

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Nintendo Power Ceasing Publication After 24 Years

"Difficult to work with" Nintendo is uninterested in continuing Nintendo Power.

For over two decades, Nintendo Power has been one of the most prominent gaming magazines available. The first issue was released in the summer of 1988, and it was published by Nintendo from 1989 to 2007, when Future US took over. Now Nintendo Power is coming to an end after 24 years, with Future US planning to stop publishing the magazine.

The news was originally reported by Ars Technica, and confirmed by Nintendo Power Senior Editor Chris Hoffman on Twitter. Like many publications in the magazine industry, Nintendo Power struggled as online news sources became more and more popular. Nintendo Power saw a 10% decline in circulation in the first half of 2012, with a current monthly readership of about 475,000. According to Ars Technica's source, Nintendo was "difficult to work with," and uninterested in renewing its contract with Future US.

Hoffman stated on Twitter that the staff of Nintendo Power will "try to make the last issues memorable." There's no word yet on how this will affect current subscribers, or exactly how many more issues are left before Nintendo Power shuts down completely. Best of luck to the magazine's editors and staffers, who are reportedly being moved to other Future US publications.

Source: Ars Technica

Wow I didn't even know Nintendo Power was still around...
I thought it had died off in the early 2000s. Seriously where did they even sell the thing, I don't think I've seen it on any store shelves or game stores?

The funny thing is I actually just subscribed to Nintendo Power...I should be getting my first issue in the next couple of weeks. I never had a subscription as a kid and while I knew this was coming and guess I deserve to lose my...however much my subscription cost (don't remember the price). It seems unfair that Nintendo Power is going under while Game Informer is allowed to continue on.

This is horribly depressing. I may have stopped subscribing over half a decade ago, but I have so many good memories from the old days. I started reading their stuff when I learned how to read! I have issues that date back before the SNES came out!

I don't have enough :( to illustrate my despair.

Fappy:
This is horribly depressing. I may have stopped subscribing over half a decade ago, but I have so many good memories from the old days. I started reading their stuff when I learned how to read! I have issues that date back before the SNES came out!

Me too.

I loved reading Nintendo Power when I was a little kid, and this just makes me sad. It was so cool reading each issue and learning about new easter eggs and cheat codes for a diffrent game.

Now I feel old and depressed. :(

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Fappy:

Me too.

I loved reading Nintendo Power when I was a little kid, and this just makes me sad. It was so cool reading each issue and learning about new easter eggs and cheat codes for a diffrent game.

One of my favorite parts about the magazine was seeing games I had never heard of and playing them years later only to remember, "Hey that's right! I remember seeing this game covered in Nintendo Power when I was a kid". This happened with me and Chrono Trigger when I played it for the first time in High School (roughly 10 years after release). I got stuck at one part and instead of looking it up online I dug up an old issue of Nintendo Power and found out what I had to do :P

Now instead of looking in a magazine for game clues, we'll just have to use a web bowser.

DVS BSTrD:
Now instead of looking in a magazine for game clues, we'll just have to use a web bowser.

I think that killed me a little bit inside.

Fappy:

Same here. That magazine was a huge part of my childhood. It was probably inevitable given the rise of the internet, but seeing it finally die is still sad.

At least I'll still have issue 100 to remember it all by.

:(

Aww...

Oh well. It was going to happen sooner or later.

Wow... I can't believe it. I thought Nintendo Magazine would just continue on forever, and be one of those things that could never die. Sadly, I've been proven wrong.

At least you can continue using Nintendo Power on the Internet...

I stopped buying Nintendo Power when I moved to Mexico (For fairly obvious reasons). Now that I'm back it feels kind of sad knowing that it's gonna end. I might buy the last few issues to come out, just for good measure.

DVS BSTrD:

Nice. To survive almost 20 years after the invention of the Internet is still pretty impressive feat.

Wow...this really is kinda depressing. I never owned a subscription, but it's just always sort of been there, for as long as i can remember. Ah well, best of luck to all those involved with the magazine.

It's horribly, horribly depressing to hear of the demise of Nintendo Power, although I figured it was only a matter of time. I got into NP full-time a bit late (issue 85 was the first issue I had read cover to cover, not including the SMB3 strategy guide), and I am depressed that it's now ending. (Let's hope that Nintendo does something nice for us once they finally print that last issue.)

Fappy:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Fappy:

Me too.

One of my favorite parts about the magazine was seeing games I had never heard of and playing them years later only to remember, "Hey that's right! I remember seeing this game covered in Nintendo Power when I was a kid". This happened with me and Chrono Trigger when I played it for the first time in High School (roughly 10 years after release). I got stuck at one part and instead of looking it up online I dug up an old issue of Nintendo Power and found out what I had to do :P

Good times, man good times.

Time to pour out a cold one for it.

I used to be a subscriber years ago, and I can understand them wanting to quit. What's even the point of having Magazines anymore with the internet? Everything that would be reported in a monthly magazine would have been reported a month earlier.

Instant information 24/7 is making things like newspapers and magazines obsolete.

God, this is sad.
I remember going through and reading my uncles old collections of these.
Being the games I was playing at the time, I read these constantly.
I'll have to pick up a copy of the last issue.

Well, at least in Mexico we still have Club Nintendo, wich is the closest thing to Nintendo Power (and amazingly, it's still being published to this very day), but it's quite sad to see it's inspiration being closed down.

Even if I don't buy any more issues of Club Nintendo since the early 2000's, I fear for the same fate if it ever happens and it certainly saddens me to even think that the very magazine that teached me how to read would close down someday.

I remember my copy of the Super Mario 3 player's guide, with full maps of the completely linear levels. Good times.

Damn. I've been a loyal subscriber since 2004... RIP, Nintendo Power. May Nester live on in our hearts.

What the poop? I remember getting a copy of this when I was like 5 or 6... I thought it had died out like post SNES era...

Didnt this one have a really lame cartoon in it that was always a thinly veiled attempt to sell a Nintendo product? I remember one that had Mario crying because his GameBoy ran out of batteries while he was playing Tetris but Luigi, the smug self serving bastard that he is, had a special extended battery life pack and was able to carry on playing.

One of those things that we all saw coming, but are still hurt when it does actually happen. Still, part of me kinda wished that Nintendo Power would have at least outlasted Game Informer.

Best of luck to all those who were working there. I might actually pick up the final issue when it comes around...

Fasckira:
What the poop? I remember getting a copy of this when I was like 5 or 6... I thought it had died out like post SNES era...

Didnt this one have a really lame cartoon in it that was always a thinly veiled attempt to sell a Nintendo product? I remember one that had Mario crying because his GameBoy ran out of batteries while he was playing Tetris but Luigi, the smug self serving bastard that he is, had a special extended battery life pack and was able to carry on playing.

It's a Nintendo Magazine. Of course it wants to sell Nintendo Products!

AVGN did a throwback to them a while back. Man, the memories.

Also, some of the "Cartoons" were quite good, like a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Manga, or a Super Metroid comic.

Well that made me die a tad inside.
So is Nintendo Power the only magazine that's purely about Nintendo stuff and financed by Nintendo? Makes me wonder if Nintendo has more Financial trouble then they let on.

some people say its inevitable the internet replaces print magazines...

maybe.

however tbh the print gaming magazines haven't done themselves any favours.

most are now only extensions of their websites and they have adopted low content, art heavy, articles that are carbon copies of what you can find on web magazines including a far lower standards and amounts of "journalism" and content.

i remember (and indeed still possess) loads of gaming magazines with full colour multi page guides to every level and secret in a given "hit" game.

while 100% completion youtube videos may exist as well as guides from gamefaqs and the like these at created mostly at the discretion of the fans and besides the experience of their use is simply not the same (the major point missed on the "paper media will wither and die" crowd.)

truly in-depth interviews with a distinct lack of fawning as well as guides on OSs & hardware repair and optimisation which were actually resourced and not sourced from a cloud full of "chinese whispers" as well...

then there's truly objective reviews written once the reviewer had completed the game -.-

and discs included with magazines that contained demos and patches that, in some cases, you actually bought the magazine for. a leverage that hasn't gone away imo. i for one would purchase a magazine with a dvd on it that offered to do away with countless hours of downloading for a major mmo update patch for example or the complete installation of a f2p title.

in short the internet changed the magazines and not for the better.
and in that respect a great many of them deserve to wither and die.

how much this related to Nintendo power i honestly wouldn't know. (as i never saw it on UK newstands)

but it certainly relates to PC related gaming titles.

and i find the idea that you have to be "in" with the makers of the games to be able to produce a magazine based on them an anathema tbth. all you really need is enough cash in the magazines budget to buy the titles as the come out and the ability to play and write about them well.

Never picked up an issue in my entire life, but it is sad to see an industry mag disappear :-(
good luck to all the staff

Tis a sad day. That's some childhood ending right there. Remember this?

This little free gift brought me so much happiness as a kid.

Could they just move it to online-only, like some other mags have?

well, now I'm getting even more depressed

Man, this is sad. RIP, old friend. This was my first gaming magazine as well as many others'.

This is all the fault of those stupid 'internet magazines'!
I would never even dream of visiting one of their sites.

But seriously though, if the magazine is shutting down it can't have been all that good.
Not as good as The Escapist anyway.

ShadowTrooper-A-E:
Well that made me die a tad inside.
So is Nintendo Power the only magazine that's purely about Nintendo stuff and financed by Nintendo? Makes me wonder if Nintendo has more Financial trouble then they let on.

Yes and no. NP's closing means Nintendo will no longer have a US magazine, but it also has a magazine in nearly every other territory, all of which are not (apparently) ending at the moment.

I still have my copy of Dragon Warrior, delivered by nintendo power.

God damn that game was great.

Also, FF1 Strategy Guide!

God damn I miss those days.

Nintendo Power's goin' under?

Then who will inflict bodily harm on Chris Sheppard??

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here