Play 16-Bit Borderlands in Your Browser

Play 16-Bit Borderlands in Your Browser

The Borderlands of 1989 looks just a little bit different than the game we know and love today.

1989 was a heck of a year. Milli Vanilli was at the top of the charts, George Bush was elected as President of the United States and the very first iteration of Borderlands was making a big splash at arcades across the country and, for those lucky enough to have them, on 16-bit home game consoles. It wasn't the Borderlands as we know it today; the first-person revolution was still years away, after all. But it was violent, it was bloody and it was packed with guns of all sorts and freaky enemies at which to point them.

That's all a bunch of nonsense, of course (except for the Milli Vanilla and George Bush parts), but with Borderlands 2 less than a month away, Gearbox has "demade" the game into a classic 16-bit top-down shooter. It's a simple business: move up, down, left and right, kill everything you see and try not to get stuck with a gun that sucks. Three lives, crappy sound effects and a high-score board - all that's missing is an ashtray beside the joystick and a burly change guy named Warren.

The Border Lands features the four new characters who will appear in Borderlands 2, although from what I can see there's no actual difference between them in this particular version of the game. There are plenty of "classic" enemies to kill, though, including Skags, Rakks and those creepy little midget dudes who make the funny noises. Man, I hate those guys.

I managed to reach 127th place on the high score charts, although I've probably been forced down since. Think you can beat that? You can't, but you're more than welcome to waste your time trying at wubwub.eu.

If I wasn't on my PS3's browser, I'd go on there and wub wub your score!

wubwub.eu

wubwub.eu

wubwub.eu

Great. Now the "98% More Wubwub" theme is stuck in my head. Thanks, Gearbox.

Eh, it's okay aside from the fact that trying to open a weapons crate leads to you getting swamped by enemies because they come constantly and the fact that ranged enemies almost undogeable.

I think I might download this onto my computer and convert it so my phone can play it. It beats old school Tetris because of my lack of games (in app-store and on mobile).

Love Gearbox <3

odd, i figured a de-make of borderlands would be a diablo clone.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is that music playing in the menu?

Andy Chalk:
1989 was a heck of a year. Milli Vanilli was at the top of the charts, George Bush was elected as President of the United States and...

Bzzt! Sorry! Wrong answer. Thanks for playing.

That Bush was elected in 1988, and inaugurated in 1989.

praetor_alpha:

Andy Chalk:
1989 was a heck of a year. Milli Vanilli was at the top of the charts, George Bush was elected as President of the United States and...

I played the game, got about 20 minutes into it before I was killed by a chest replacing my rocket launcher with a pea shooter that fires in random directions.

300k, lvl 113, virtually invincible... I got bored and closed the tab. You can keep your leaderboard score.

Oh, it's actually made by Gearbox? For a minute I thought it was just another fan-demake like Gang Garrison 2, but the fact that Gearbox made this just makes it that much better.

Grey Carter:

praetor_alpha:

Andy Chalk:

I played the game, got about 20 minutes into it before I was killed by a chest replacing my rocket launcher with a pea shooter that fires in random directions.

Yeah... i was thinking "Wow, this 2-way Railgun sure is a gamebreaker" and then when things got hot my character thought it best to discard the weapon that shot poles through all obstacles and enemies (both backwards and forwards) in favor of a regular machine gun.

Could we consider it a gameplay flaw, perhaps? I think we have to.

Ulquiorra4sama:

Yeah... i was thinking "Wow, this 2-way Railgun sure is a gamebreaker" and then when things got hot my character thought it best to discard the weapon that shot poles through all obstacles and enemies (both backwards and forwards) in favor of a regular machine gun.

Could we consider it a gameplay flaw, perhaps? I think we have to.[/quote]

ditto, i have never hated chests more! and i ended up with a pistol that fires in random directions instead of my 2 way railgun.

SQLSTATE[HY000] [1040] Too many connectionsConnection unavailable

This must be more popular than expected.

D: Guess I'll play later.

Hmmm, well technically this DID exist though they had the year wrong, it was 1990, and it was created by Origin back when they were awesome, it was also a little deeper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Blood_(video_game)

There you are, probably the true grand daddy of post-apocolyptic action-RPGs. Truthfully if it wasn't for "Bad Blood" I don't think we ever would have seen Diablo or similar games or the birth of the whole top-down action-RPG genere, which would probably have meant nobody would have tried to do it in first person.

That said, while this de-make is cute, if "Borderlands 2" winds up... lacking, we know what to blame. Seems like the guys at Gearbox have put some fairly serious time into goofing off with things like this, when they could have been working on the game. I know a lot of people won't like me saying this but well... I've noticed a trend recently where we see a LOT of cool promotional gimmicks and viral marketing, for games that were decent but needed more work. It leads me to wonder occasionally wheter the time and money spent on things like the video clips made to promote "Alan Wake" would have been better invested if they were rolled back into the game. "Alan Wake" being a good game, but one which fell short of it's potential, and of course never delivered on the "sandbox" premise (which ironically "Deadly Premonition" was able to do).

lacktheknack:
wubwub.eu

wubwub.eu

wubwub.eu

Great. Now the "98% More Wubwub" theme is stuck in my head. Thanks, Gearbox.

You mean this theme?

(Goddamn ninjas man!)

Therumancer:
Hmmm, well technically this DID exist though they had the year wrong, it was 1990, and it was created by Origin back when they were awesome, it was also a little deeper:

There you are, probably the true grand daddy of post-apocolyptic action-RPGs. Truthfully if it wasn't for "Bad Blood" I don't think we ever would have seen Diablo or similar games or the birth of the whole top-down action-RPG genere, which would probably have meant nobody would have tried to do it in first person.

That said, while this de-make is cute, if "Borderlands 2" winds up... lacking, we know what to blame. Seems like the guys at Gearbox have put some fairly serious time into goofing off with things like this, when they could have been working on the game. I know a lot of people won't like me saying this but well... I've noticed a trend recently where we see a LOT of cool promotional gimmicks and viral marketing, for games that were decent but needed more work. It leads me to wonder occasionally wheter the time and money spent on things like the video clips made to promote "Alan Wake" would have been better invested if they were rolled back into the game. "Alan Wake" being a good game, but one which fell short of it's potential, and of course never delivered on the "sandbox" premise (which ironically "Deadly Premonition" was able to do).

this is, of course, assuming that only one team does all the jobs like diner dash, seeing as their coders know how to do both 3d animation and flash games, since they have so much in common

similarly, i have no doubt that making that wreck it ralph game probably took up a lot of resources that would have gone into what would have otherwise been a great movie

weirdguy:

Therumancer:

this is, of course, assuming that only one team does all the jobs like diner dash, seeing as their coders know how to do both 3d animation and flash games, since they have so much in common

similarly, i have no doubt that making that wreck it ralph game probably took up a lot of resources that would have gone into what would have otherwise been a great movie

If your going to respond you might want to do so without making absurd arguements.

In this case we're talking about a situation where this was developed from the game's budget, even if there is more than one team, it's still being paid from the same source. The coders doing this who could have been working on other things did this instead.

In your example of a movie like "Wreck It Ralph" a tie in product being developed seperatly is not going to come from the movie's budget directly.

That said, there have been cases where a company has wrecked a product by planning more around the merchandising than the product itself, which might actually happen with "Wreck It Ralph" we have no idea yet because it's not out.... just for the sake of arguement.

I'm not saying "Borderlands 2" is going to suck, just that this seems like a fairly elaborate promotion, looking at some other games that have spent a lot of time on advertising gimmicks it actually makes me nervous. As I said, they spent a fortune on Alan Wake's fancy promotions that could have been used on the game itself. This doesn't mean Borderlands 2 will disappoint for sure, I'm just remarking on it.

Of course I shouldn't need to spell that out.

the flash game isn't that elaborate...only thing of note is that they based the art assets off of the actual bl2 game's characters and guns, besides the annoying loot chests there isn't anything new there

besides, how do you specifically know the marketing budget is shared with the game budget?

edit: wait, i'm not referring to the tie-in multiconsole release movie game, i'm referring to this

http://disney.go.com/wreck-it-ralph/#/fixitfelix

The game went into certification weeks ago. It went gold a few days ago.

Content-wise, Borderlands 2's already done. This is more than likely something that someone at Gearbox made in his or her spare time and decided to share.

By those merits, it's actually pretty good.

Invincible with a 2 way railgun up to level 130-something, then I got a pistol that shoots bullets in random directions once every second. I just quit at that point and wondered what I could have done with the time I just spent not enjoying myself.

I got to lvl 230 or before I let myself die. The 2-way railgun is OP.

I will play when I have time.

A lot of fun... until an enemy drops a box on your feet and you autopick something because you try to run away... random-facing weapons are crap -.-

That is actually amazing.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Aeshi:
Eh, it's okay aside from the fact that trying to open a weapons crate leads to you getting swamped by enemies because they come constantly and the fact that ranged enemies almost undogeable.

You mean you have to make a... *GASP* TACTICAL DECISION on when to check loot crates?! OH NO!! D: Maybe it's time you fuck off back to your MW3 deathmatching, I hear that's nice and simple and keeps the challenging thoughts to a minimum. ;P

I wouldn't call choosing between "Loot crate now, get mauled because enemies spawn in a constant stream." and "Kill nearby enemies and get crate later, get mauled because enemies spawn in a constant stream." a 'Tactical Decision'

Aeshi:

WhiteTigerShiro:

Aeshi:

You mean you have to make a... *GASP* TACTICAL DECISION on when to check loot crates?! OH NO!! D: Maybe it's time you fuck off back to your MW3 deathmatching, I hear that's nice and simple and keeps the challenging thoughts to a minimum. ;P

I wouldn't call choosing between "Loot crate now, get mauled because enemies spawn in a constant stream." and "Kill nearby enemies and get crate later, get mauled because enemies spawn in a constant stream." a 'Tactical Decision'

I've been able to clear-out plenty of crates for safe looting. It's called the choice between "Is this crate safe to loot, or will I have to let it vanish because there's too many enemies around it?"

I got about $90,000 before I was called away from the computer so I had to stop. Though seriously, Railguns are overpowered as hell.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here