Court Declares Oslo "Game Addict" Killer Breivik Sane

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Anders Breivik avoids what he calls the "humiliation" of being dismissed as a madman.

The Oslo District Court has passed judgement on Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian mass-murderer who killed 77 people and wounded 242 in his attacks on Ut°ya and Oslo. He was sentenced to 21 years imprisonment, the maximum possible under the law. Norway has the option of extending that sentence under preventative detention rules, which permit extended sentences so long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society. This decision means that the Court considers Breivik sane, and ignores the finding of court-appointed psychiatrists before the trial who claimed Breivik suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities. He played World of Warcraft and modern military shooters for 12 months straight during what he described as a "sabbatical" intended to desensitise himself for the events to follow. "I played on the idea that 'Ooh, I've become addicted to games'," he claimed during the trial. "If you are going to be capable of executing such a bloody and horrendous operation," he said, "you need to work on your mind, your psyche, for years. We have seen from military traditions you cannot send an unprepared person into war."

Friends and family were pleased when, at the end of this sabbatical period, he moved out of his mother's house to a farm several hours drive from Oslo. His addiction story had fooled them, and they were considering an intervention when he moved away. They felt he had shaken off his depression and was beginning to find a new lease on life. Unfortunately he had moved there to perfect bomb-making in a quiet, depopulated area, the better to avoid detection.

Though the court's ruling on his sanity will have pleased Breivik, it will also please many of his surviving victims. They were as anxious as he that he be declared sane, so that Breivik might spend the rest of his life in prison.

Source: Guardian

Karloff:
Court Declares Oslo 'Game Addict' Killer Breivik Sane

Anders Breivik avoids what he calls the "humiliation" of being dismissed as a madman.

The Oslo District Court has passed judgement on Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian mass-murderer who killed 77 people and wounded 242 in his attacks on Ut°ya and Oslo. He was sentenced to 21 years imprisonment, the maximum possible under the law. Norway has the option of extending that sentence under preventative detention rules, which permit extended sentences so long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society. This decision means that the Court considers Breivik sane, and ignores the finding of court-appointed psychiatrists before the trial who claimed Breivik suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities. He played World of Warcraft and modern military shooters for 12 months straight during what he described as a "sabbatical" intended to desensitise himself for the events to follow. "I played on the idea that 'Ooh, I've become addicted to games'," he claimed during the trial. "If you are going to be capable of executing such a bloody and horrendous operation," he said, "you need to work on your mind, your psyche, for years. We have seen from military traditions you cannot send an unprepared person into war."

Friends and family were pleased when, at the end of this sabbatical period, he moved out of his mother's house to a farm several hours drive from Oslo. His addiction story had fooled them, and they were considering an intervention when he moved away. They felt he had shaken off his depression and was beginning to find a new lease on life. Unfortunately he had moved there to perfect bomb-making in a quiet, depopulated area, the better to avoid detection.

Though the court's ruling on his sanity will have pleased Breivik, it will also please many of his surviving victims. They were as anxious as he that he be declared sane, so that Breivik might spend the rest of his life in prison.

Source: Guardian

I'm very glad you made sure to mention the extension-clause of the law; it seems many non-Norwegian news media have only reported that he got 21 years, causing a lot of questions about the Norwegian legal system...

Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Well we wouldn't want to hurt the widdle genocidal cowardly delusional racist moster's feelings now would we?

He won.

I didn't see this coming.

I was hoping he'd be declared insane, just because I'm loathe to give that man anything he wants.

mad825:
He won.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider (at least) 21 years in prison a victory.

OT: Wow, I didn't know he actually used video games as a reason for being desensitised to violence as opposed to the media...

And generally with rulings of insanity you are locked in a psychiatric facility until you are deemed safe to reenter society. Which is often longer then the original jail sentence. So I'm not sure that finding him insane would have gotten him out any quicker.

I'm glad he got 21 years and got denied insanity plea. Seriously if he got away with this every killer would be out on insanity plea just blaming video games.

He kills 77 people and only gets 21 years in prison!?!?!? Norway is messed up.

DVS BSTrD:

Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."

Well we wouldn't want to hurt the widdle genocidal cowardly delusional racist moster's feelings now would we?

Well, courtrooms have to uphold the law at least somewhat and declaring him insane when obviously he isn't wouldn't be the right way to go along, as much as I hate to have an opinion that even slightly falls in line with his.

Here's hoping he ends up in a prison full of slippery soap and many big burly man open for experimentation.

Why cant we just take him into the middle of town, cut his head off, and put it over the city gate?

Medieval Justice does have its good points at times.

Ukomba:

That's the maximum sentence in Norway, though as mentioned there is a clause that they can further detain anyone who is deemed to still be a danger.

That said, I think it's a horrible message to send to the rest of the world that his sentence as listed works out to around 3 months per person he murdered, even if the intention is he will never see the light of day again.

Ukomba:

By norweigan law, he has the right to have his case re-examined after 21 years, but they can basically extend his sentence by 5 year increments indefinitely. He's never getting out.

I don't know why people are acting like 21 years is some short amount of time. IT'S 21 FUCKING YEARS! Most of us probably haven't even been alive for that long! Think about how old you'll be when he's released! And that's assuming that he will be released, it will probably be very bad PR to release him. I expect he'll be in there for 30 years at the least.

Besides, asylums probably keep their patients separate, unlike prisons. Hopefully his fellow inmates will show him no hint of mercy at shower time.

Ingjald:

Ukomba:

By norweigan law, he has the right to have his case re-examined after 21 years, but they can basically extend his sentence by 5 year increments indefinitely. He's never getting out.

MIGHT never get out. Every 5 years after the first 21 he has a chance. I don't trust a country with no death penalty and a maximum of 21 year sentence not to eventually let him go.

Slycne:

Ukomba:

That's the maximum sentence in Norway, though as mentioned there is a clause that they can further detain anyone who is deemed to still be a danger.

That said, I think it's a horrible message to send to the rest of the world that his sentence as listed works out to around 3 months per person he murdered, even if the intention is he will never see the light of day again.

3 months per murder. Which means the 242 he injured are freebees. There are some crimes that deserve the death penalty.

Karloff:

Breivik used gaming addiction as an excuse to cover for his activities.

Wow. Well, well, well. The Escapist is a piece of self serving word-spinn spewed out to get the most attention. This article re-print makes it seem as if he was trying to be judged insane. xD

Let's not be sensationalists and change a fully functional law because of one guy.

21 Years, pending future evaluation is a great outcome and will in pretty much all certainty ensure the guy stays behind bars for the rest of his life.

He doesn't really deserve the honour of a law being changed just for him, that won't even affect his sentence due to it already being passed.

oh great. why not kill him?? ah yes, right. how could i forget. human right system. why do i always think the middle ages had the best punishment?

I wish that he had been declared insane. The basic punishment is higher in Norway and he (along with a lot of the rest of the world) would have seen it as invalidating his message, making it out to be the mad ravings of a delusional madman.

So in the end Breivik wins. He succeeded in killing 77 people, wounded 242 others and gets to spend the next 21 years in a cushy Swedish prison.

Only 21 years? That's bullshit. I'm hoping thy'll still keep him behind bars afterwards.

'Cause what's worse? A crazy person killing for no reason? Or a sane person who is perfectly control of his actions?

Toilet:
So in the end Breivik wins. He succeeded in killing 77 people, wounded 242 others and gets to spend the next 21 years in a cushy Swedish prison.

Norwegian. And as others said, it's highly unlikely he'll be getting out after those 21 years.

The Plunk:

Besides, asylums probably keep their patients separate, unlike prisons. Hopefully his fellow inmates will show him no hint of mercy at shower time.

Don't assume prisons all over the world work the same way they do in the movies/the United States. Most prison systems in the developed world don't have prison rape to the degree it happens in the U.S. (it's actually quite an anomaly compared to other similar countries). Also, there's solitary confinement in prisons too, and Breivik seems like a prime candidate for that.

The Lunatic:
He doesn't really deserve the honour of a law being changed just for him, that won't even affect his sentence due to it already being passed.

Actually, that depends on the Norwegian legal system's attitude and traditions regarding retroactive laws. I doubt they allow them but you never know.

People seriously need to read to the bottom of the article. As others have mentioned before me it's an initial 21 years which can then be extended indefinitely.

I'm glad he wasn't declared insane, now there is no doubt that he is a monstrous murderer.

RhombusHatesYou:

The Lunatic:

Actually, that depends on the Norwegian legal system's attitude and traditions regarding retroactive laws. I doubt they allow them but you never know.

Ex post facto punishments are illegal in pretty much all of Europe.

The Last Nomad:

mad825:
He won.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't consider (at least) 21 years in prison a victory.

For him it is, he's a martyr remember.

A prison sentence is what he had been fighting all this time

Wandered over to the Guardian to read the original article. One aspect that bothered me, as a layman, was this idea that he was "sane". How can one be "sane" and commit these sort of acts? Apparently, although this isn't stated explicitly, had he been judged insane, then he wouldn't have been considred responsible for his actions and may have avoided prison time altogether.

From the Guardian:

Most Norwegians, including the victims' families, had wanted Breivik to be found sane so he could be held accountable for what they view as a political crime.

While on the face of it, 21 years seems a very short time, the Guardian also notes:

Breivik is almost certain to end his life in prison. Although Norway has a maximum prison sentence of 21 years, Breivik could be sentenced to "preventive detention", which can be extended for as long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society.

So it seems that Norway will ensure Mr. Breivik never walks free again. Some small confort to the survivors and the loved ones of the victims, I hope.

How i see it, he is NOT sane. No one their right mind would kill this many people, nor plan it for that long. I refuse to believe that a sane person could do that.
Then again, my definition and the experts definition of the word "sane" might differ...

Breivik did not win. The court was never a game of "how to punish him the most" and it never should be.

"Sane" is not the same as "logical, rational, and justifiable". Saying that he was "sane" just means that the court doesn't think that there he has a *medical* condition that caused his actions. In other words: he's crazy in the colloquial sense, not in the medical sense, and as such he's fully responsible for his own actions.

Jhooud:
Apparently, although this isn't stated explicitly, had he been judged insane, then he wouldn't have been considred responsible for his actions and may have avoided prison time altogether.

Technically yes. Instead of being sent to prison for 21 years and then possibly forever he'd have been sent to a mental institution and possibly still forever if they didn't consider him safe to reenter society.

To quote a reference from before the verdict:
"If they deem him insane, and the judge concurs - he does not have to - Breivik would be sent to a medical institution. He would remain there until he is considered to no longer pose a threat to society". So either way I think we'd have seen the same result he was going to end up locked away for a very very long time. Lets face it if the mental health people let him out the penal system would as well. The only real difference was whether he goes down in history as a mad man or not and whether he spends the rest of his life in a prison or a mental ward.

Jhooud:
Wandered over to the Guardian to read the original article. One aspect that bothered me, as a layman, was this idea that he was "sane". How can one be "sane" and commit these sort of acts? Apparently, although this isn't stated explicitly, had he been judged insane, then he wouldn't have been considred responsible for his actions and may have avoided prison time altogether.

From the Guardian:

Most Norwegians, including the victims' families, had wanted Breivik to be found sane so he could be held accountable for what they view as a political crime.

While on the face of it, 21 years seems a very short time, the Guardian also notes:

Breivik is almost certain to end his life in prison. Although Norway has a maximum prison sentence of 21 years, Breivik could be sentenced to "preventive detention", which can be extended for as long as an inmate is considered dangerous to society.

So it seems that Norway will ensure Mr. Breivik never walks free again. Some small confort to the survivors and the loved ones of the victims, I hope.

Quick correction of the Guardian; he was sentenced to preventive detention.

The survivors, the families of the victims, and the Norwegian justice system has impressed the world with their calm, objectivity, and lucidity throughout all these ghastly proceedings. The chance of Mr. Breivik being released are near zero, let us remember: his manifesto, his demeanour, and his actions have shown that his ideology precludes any peaceful existence in a 21st century society.

Mr. Gauntlett, I also would like to ask you to amend your article; there were two psychological reports on Mr. Breivik; the one you mentioned that claimed he has paranoid schizophrenia, and another that ruled him completely sane. The judges in the court took this into account in their long deliberations, so I would hope that we would be able to stick by their very informed verdict.

Ukomba:

3 months per murder. Which means the 242 he injured are freebees. There are some crimes that deserve the death penalty.

You really believe dying is worse then life in prison? I'm fairly sure he'd prefered death if giving the choice. Justice isn't about vengeance.

Jhooud:
One aspect that bothered me, as a layman, was this idea that he was "sane".

That's because the legal and medical/psychiatric concepts and definitions of 'sanity' are different... or I should say the legal concepts and definitions are much narrower, mostly having to do with a person's capacity for reasoning and ability to judge moral/ethical/legal actions.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here