Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Allthingsspectacular:

The Plunk:

If From Software is so terrible, how come Dark Souls was one of the best games of 2011? Oh, wait, I forgot, THAT VERSION WAS FOR DIRTY STINKING CONSOLE PEASENTS, IT DOESN'T COUNT!!!!!111!11!

Exactly. Don't mock the truth. Dark Souls was a consolized piece of crap and From Software was wasting their time porting it to PC where it competes with the likes of Deus Ex and Europa Universalis.

It must be difficult for you, looking down from your PC-elitist ivory tower and seeing all of the good games that come out on consoles and trying to come up with something bad to say about them in a vain attempt to justify the amount of money you spent on a gaming rig, as if that somehow makes you better than everyone else.

EDIT:

Treblaine:

PS: anyone who hasn't clued in yet, the "PC gaming master race" is a tongue in cheek joke that PC gamers invented, it's about as genuine as Jimquisition's fascistic theme.

well it funny that even with a 6 year old computer with a 2 year graphics card and 2 cores at 2.13ghz and 4 gb i can run most modern games just fine

webepoop:

Judgement101:
I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm just saying that I haven't come across it.

I only play my PC games with my friends. I've never come across these PC elitists that you keep rambling on about. However, all console users are stupid because I've seen online that they are whiny little brats!

Can't we just settle that both console and PC users have a horrible dark side who suck equally bad? Neither is better than the other.

Hey now, life long fan of Nintendo and later Sony here. Never been online on a game longer than a second, perfectly decent if opinionated guy in RL, and I'm not a whiny little brat. Until you get me started on the Marketing practices of Square Enix, then I can get pretty whiny.

Tony2077:

Judgement101:

ThePS1Fan:

Um, what?
Really, as console gamer I am seriously confused as to why PC gamers can't ask for ports of games. Sure some are a little elitist, but you have to understand that consoles are using 6 year old hardware. PC gamers just want their games to be in 2012 not 2006.

Here's my take on things: Console gamers just play a game and enjoy it, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were just console RPGs that console gamers like and didn't brag about. PC Gamers on the other hand brag about their games, "We get 64 person BF3 server and we have waaaay better graphics." They brag about their games but now that console gamers have a good game a lot of PC gamers decided to start bitching at FromSoft acting like entitled jackasses saying "WE DESERVE A GOOD PORT OF THIS!!!" In all honestly, if I worked at From, I would have made the game delete System 32 and then install keyloggers. (I have a deep hatred for PC gamers)

you like the elitist are annoying so begone with you

It's probably cause he can't afford a decent PC.

dnazeri:

Tony2077:

Judgement101:
Here's my take on things: Console gamers just play a game and enjoy it, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were just console RPGs that console gamers like and didn't brag about. PC Gamers on the other hand brag about their games, "We get 64 person BF3 server and we have waaaay better graphics." They brag about their games but now that console gamers have a good game a lot of PC gamers decided to start bitching at FromSoft acting like entitled jackasses saying "WE DESERVE A GOOD PORT OF THIS!!!" In all honestly, if I worked at From, I would have made the game delete System 32 and then install keyloggers. (I have a deep hatred for PC gamers)

It's probably cause you can't afford a decent PC.

really even after what i just posted ha

i have 5k in my account and in a month or so more will show up gotta love seasonal work

Allthingsspectacular:
All the more proof that From Software is a terrible PC developer porter and should quit the PC games industry.

That's fixed for you. :P

AFAIK, Dark Souls was renowned for its atmosphere, soundtracks and many other things that were not technical at all.

Anyone fixed the frame rate yet? 30fps - no thank you.

Tony2077:

dnazeri:

Tony2077:

i have 5k in my account and in a month or so more will show up gotta love seasonal work

Yea sorry I meant to say "Its probably cause HE[judgement101] can't afford a decent PC" not you. I was talking about the guy who has a hatred for PC gamers(judgement101), trying to ironically come off as an elitist pc gamer myself. Miscommunication, my bad.

Judgement101:
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.

Hahaha, oh man, you are so funny.

The guy who made the mod said that from soft are incompetent for forcing the game to run at a fixed low res, the fact that he did this in just a few hours without access to the source code shows that he is clearly right.

Treblaine:

Lex Darko:
I don't understand why people are saying that Fromsoft was incompetent by not doing this themselves.

The day Skyrim released a similar mod community patch was also created and no one said Bethsoft sucked because in the 4 years they were making the game they didn't make that patch themselves.

Oh plenty of people say Bethesda sucks at releasing their code in an adequate condition.

To be fair that is in reference to their large open world games, the likes of which not many other developers even attempt. And they have all the proper options to tweak you would want.

Judgement101:
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.

dnazeri:

Tony2077:

dnazeri:

Yea sorry I meant to say "Its probably cause HE[judgement101] can't afford a decent PC" not you. I was talking about the guy who has a hatred for PC gamers(judgement101), trying to ironically come off as an elitist pc gamer myself. Miscommunication, my bad.

ok no problem thanks for clearly it up

Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

If you aren't going to do something properly, don't do it at all. From Software should have politely addressed all the "Dark Souls on PC" petitions, simply saying that they did not have the experience to release a product which meets the expectations of the PC gaming market.

OR...they could have hired another company who did have such experience to create a proper port for them. For example, Bioware hired Demiurge Studios to port Mass Effect 1 to PC. I was very satisfied with the quality of the PC version.

-Being forced to buy a game controller due to terrible mouse and keyboard controls is unacceptable.
-UI/tutorials unchanged from the original console format is unacceptable.
-Failing to make what were probably very simple graphical tweaks is unacceptable. Gaming with a monitor directly in front of you is a very different experience than gaming on a TV a metre or two away, the devs should have taken this into account. Things like resolution and FPS become much more important/noticeable when a screen is only a few inches away from yer eyeballs.

Mods will probably fix many of the issues with Dark Souls, just as mods fixed many of the issues with the PC version of Skyrim, but I am tired of PC releases being half-assed afterthoughts. Do it right or don't bother.

I payed the same price as any console gamer, I am in fact entitled (yes, the E-word) to a gaming experience which is actually somewhat optimised for my system. PS3 gamers got the shaft when it came to the Skyrim release, they spoke up as pissed off consumers who had been cheated $60. Rightly so, the PS3 version was a chugging piece of shit. Why are PC gamers told to shut up or referred to as elitists when we are put in the same situation?

This just shows how lazy and and full of shit these game companies are now.

Judgement101:

I am a PC gamer and I am not a jerk. I am happy they ported it over to the PC. I purchased it off Steam a few hours ago and I am really having fun with it. I am dying a lot but I am still having fun.

The only problem I really had with it was the original key bindings but I just re-mapped them and now it is fine.

Julius-Seizure:
Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

Or people are buying it anyway.

Remember, there was an internet poll that listed EA as the worst company of 2012 after the ME3 controversy...And despite that, it still managed to sell marvelously.

Judgement101:

Yes, they attempted to market and market their game to a new demographic! How dare they! PC elitist jerks!

creamy5000:

Yeah, how lazy of them to put out a port they hadn't planned on to please a fanbase that has done nothing but complain about their decisions time and time again at a risk of extra effort for potentially no sales whatsoever. How lazy for company inexperienced in regards to PC gaming to not put out an optimised PC version of a console game they didn't need to put out for such an entitled crowd in the first place.

Lazy lazy lazy.

So how long before some software company hires this guy? Heck I know if I was running one I would.

Zachary Amaranth:

Julius-Seizure:

Or people are buying it anyway.

Remember, there was an internet poll that listed EA as the worst company of 2012 after the ME3 controversy...And despite that, it still managed to sell marvelously.

Either way, FROM gets money. And we may or may not get a patch. Probably not, but I don't really care, I'm having fun with it.

Just putting this out there, the game looks fine without this fix. Only graphics thing i'm annoyed with is that it starts in windows mode by default, and that is easily changed in the options menu.

Also thank god we have this game on PC now, its fun as hell.

This is great news. There is no excuse for releasing a game in such a poor quality and charging 40 bucks for it. People are in the right to expect a minimum quality for the games they purchase.

Judgement101:
You're right, I'm angry at the minority in a much larger majority, I really shouldn't hate all PC gamers.

What you really hate are assholes. And that's fine, everyone hates assholes. But there are plenty of people on both sides of the coin. You wouldn't believe how elitist people are about consoles as well. For instance, I own a Wii but not a PS3 or 360. Apparently this makes me a worthless human being to some console gamers.

But I don't hate console gamers, I hate assholes. I see the appeal of a console, they're lots of fun... but they're also lots of money. Money I don't have.

So just ignore the douches and enjoy your console, whatever it may be ^^

FeloniousMonk:

Judgement101:

Yes, they attempted to market and market their game to a new demographic! How dare they! PC elitist jerks!

God job editing your post, too bad it sends me your original posts which I could easily forward to a moderator, but you really aren't worth the time.

Bat Vader:

Judgement101:

I am a PC gamer and I am not a jerk. I am happy they ported it over to the PC. I purchased it off Steam a few hours ago and I am really having fun with it. I am dying a lot but I am still having fun.

The only problem I really had with it was the original key bindings but I just re-mapped them and now it is fine.

I clarified earlier that I'm just mad at the vocal minority in a massive majority. I acknowledge that I was WAY out of line and I apologize for my post.

Zachary Amaranth:

creamy5000:

Yeah, how lazy of them to put out a port they hadn't planned on to please a fanbase that has done nothing but complain about their decisions time and time again at a risk of extra effort for potentially no sales whatsoever. How lazy for company inexperienced in regards to PC gaming to not put out an optimised PC version of a console game they didn't need to put out for such an entitled crowd in the first place.

Lazy lazy lazy.

Complaints for a company making poor decisions are completely legitimate
Complaints for delivering a poorly produced product are completely legitimate

There is no excuse for releasing a game that locks FPS at 30 and at resolution that was common in 1998, there is no excuse for allowing sloppy controls on the devices most of the customers use, and there's no excuse for forcing paying customers to create fixes for the above.

People pay money, and they deserve a product of reasonable quality for the money they pay.

Clever modder, knowing how tricky a coding problem can be it's not surprising that the answer came from a source outside one relatively small company.

From Software? Hire this man. (Or woman- the article doesn't really specify.)

so why have'n't From Software hired the guy yet?

What a lad,
Fixxing problems and creating his resume.

And now the only thing stopping me from buying Dark Souls is gone. TO THE MONEY-MOBILE!

Evil Smurf:
so why have'n't From Software hired the guy yet?

That would probably depend on how good he is at working with the PS3.......

That proves that it they could've fixed it, but were just too lazy. I might get Dark Souls eventually but I'll probably avoid any games from this developer in the future.

Zachary Amaranth:

creamy5000:

Lazy lazy lazy.

Yeah bro, them PC gamers and their standards, so entitled for making sure the product they're thinking of spending their own money on conforms to their taste, it's sickening. They even have the gall to provide feedback to the developer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here