Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Doom972:
That proves that it they could've fixed it, but were just too lazy. I might get Dark Souls eventually but I'll probably avoid any games from this developer in the future.

I doubt it was laziness. I sincerely believe that they just didn't understand how important this issue was to American/European gamers, since PC gaming is not incredibly popular in Japan barring MMOs.

I do believe, however, that the next time they make a PC game, if ever, it will definitely not suffer the same faults that this version did, and will at least outsource the port to someone else.

"Fixes" is a bit much... it's a big step forward to be sure, but the game is still nearly unplayable on the PC.

Horrible framerate (and my rig can run BF3 at max detail, no sweat), horrible mouse control (movement is so jittery that it feels a drunk is controlling the camera), absolutely terrible menus (sorry Skyrim, you have been dethroned) and not even the slightest hint that they were aware most PC gamers don't actually use a gamepad... Is it really that difficult to replace those control tips to actually reflect the keybindings in the game? Or at least let us fucking know which is supposed to be the "B" button on the keyboard?

I was this close to actually paying money for this abomination... thank god a friend got suckered into it first...

Julius-Seizure:
Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

Have you actually played this thing? The game itself is quite awesome, but the PC port is so incredibly bad that it makes it nearly unplayable. Yes, a lot of people bought it because a lot of people wanted the game. Hell, I nearly bought it, but luckily a friend got burned first. But I'm certain a lot fewer people would have bought it if they knew what a mess it was.

Resolution locked at 1024*764?? fucking really? In 2012?? And even so framerates so bad you'd think it was running on a graphing calculator, not an arguably modern (and unarguably MUCH more powerful than a console) rig?

Controls that feel like your mouse is having seizures? All the while trying to figure out where the fuck they decided the "B" button should be on my keyboard since they never bothered to change the console tips.

Zachary Amaranth:

Yeah, how lazy of them to put out a port they hadn't planned on to please a fanbase that has done nothing but complain about their decisions time and time again at a risk of extra effort for potentially no sales whatsoever. How lazy for company inexperienced in regards to PC gaming to not put out an optimised PC version of a console game they didn't need to put out for such an entitled crowd in the first place.

Lazy lazy lazy.

No, you're right, It's 100% ok to charge people the same money for a COMPLETELY INFERIOR experience.

We're such entitled shits for demanding the same quality for our money that PS3 users get.

How dare we to actually expect not to get shafted on our own dime!!

Oh, company is inexperienced? Well that fucking excuses everything. Think I'll go start a construction firm and when buildings collapse and kill dozens of people I can just say I lacked experience, and it will be 100% all right after all.

And the risks, oh god. So many people wanted the game to be released on the PC, not to actually BUY and PLAY it, heaven forbid. No, it was all a BIG practical joke to make the poor developers spend time away from their sick grandmas.

Serves all the sods who bought an unplayable mess right for being such assholes.

Andy Shandy:

Console gaming is known for it's racist, swearing, homophobic, sexist, mum-sexing (going by their own claims) 12 year olds whose voices irritate the living shit out of everyone around.

And both are partially know for its stupid haters, insulting the ones using the other system at every turn.
I hate those people...

Wow, I didn't expect there to be so much hate and whining about this port.

Guy's........You asked for this port. You made a petition asking for it stating good reasons for it and explained why it would be a good idea and they listened to you and agreed.

Of course it's going to be a bad port, they didn't have much time and never expected to do this, from what I know(Little) they also didn't have much experience in porting to PC, I assume they are used to consoles.

Could you guy's make gamers look any worse? Do you maybe want to go on a racist and sexist hate rant while your at it?

TL;DR This is very sad and I am dissapointed in you fellow gamers.

Nurb:
This is great news. There is no excuse for releasing a game in such a poor quality and charging 40 bucks for it. People are in the right to expect a minimum quality for the games they purchase.

How is it bad quality? I was led to believe it was the same exact quality as the console version.

Risingblade:

Nurb:
This is great news. There is no excuse for releasing a game in such a poor quality and charging 40 bucks for it. People are in the right to expect a minimum quality for the games they purchase.

How is it bad quality? I was led to believe it was the same exact quality as the console version.

it is the same quality, but that's a travesty to your standard PC elitist.

VladG:

Julius-Seizure:
Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

Have you actually played this thing? The game itself is quite awesome, but the PC port is so incredibly bad that it makes it nearly unplayable. Yes, a lot of people bought it because a lot of people wanted the game. Hell, I nearly bought it, but luckily a friend got burned first. But I'm certain a lot fewer people would have bought it if they knew what a mess it was.

Resolution locked at 1024*764?? fucking really? In 2012?? And even so framerates so bad you'd think it was running on a graphing calculator, not an arguably modern (and unarguably MUCH more powerful than a console) rig?

Controls that feel like your mouse is having seizures? All the while trying to figure out where the fuck they decided the "B" button should be on my keyboard since they never bothered to change the console tips.

I use a controller, don't care about the resolution and haven't noticed the "framerate issues".

Darkmantle:

Risingblade:

Nurb:

1. The cursor doesn't disappear from the screen when you move the camera around. This has never happened in any game I've ever played. You know how immersion-breaking it is to have a white arrow flying around all the time?
2. I appreciate they put in the time to make configurable keybindings, but the in-game button prompts are still controller prompts. I have to trial-and-error my way through which button they mean every time the game tells me to press X or A or B.
3. Mouse sensitivity is absolutely broken. When I played the PC port of Fall of Cybertron, I didn't even have to change any settings, that's how smooth it was. Too much to ask for a smooth experience? At least give us some ini/cfg files, we'll take it from there.

So no it is not the same quality. Note that I didn't say anything about graphical fidelity. There is no reason for PC gamers to not provide negative feedback. That said, hope they do better with the next one.

Mygaffer:

Treblaine:

Lex Darko:
I don't understand why people are saying that Fromsoft was incompetent by not doing this themselves.

The day Skyrim released a similar mod community patch was also created and no one said Bethsoft sucked because in the 4 years they were making the game they didn't make that patch themselves.

Oh plenty of people say Bethesda sucks at releasing their code in an adequate condition.

To be fair that is in reference to their large open world games, the likes of which not many other developers even attempt. And they have all the proper options to tweak you would want.

Well I suppose when you have 10x as many creatures as an other game, it's going to be a lot harder to find one of them that has a game breaking animation.

But on the other hand, Bethesda has much more of a robust multi-platform developer pedigree than From Software. Their games still launch with huge faults that seem to trivial to fix you wonder why they weren't found and fixed already.

This is a perfect example of why even relatively small studios like From Software should hire external team to port games from console to PC.

Just because from-software can dance the dance between Xbox 360 and PS3 doesn't mean they've got the chops for PC development.

I wonder how much From Software was guided by their prejudice. The knew that the frame-buffer was 1024x764 on the console, they thought that was good enough, so they never tried harder. But NEVER STOPPED TO CONSIDER that PC gamers play it totally differently, with their eyes much closer to a monitor than console gamers are close to a TV.

And they may have seen 30-frames to be adequate on their console game but that's terrible with a mouse that has much more rapid movements than a thumbstick. And lag that is acceptable on a controller players are hypersensitive to with a mouse as it has direct 1:1 feedback with the camera perspective or mouse cursor.

LATENCY! RESOLUTION! FRAMERATE!!!

A small competent and relatively cheap 3rd party developer could have ported this fine and remained faithful to the developer's vision. Because they would have understood the platform that has INHERENTLY higher standards from the way PC games are played.

Hmmm might I well get into this console\PC hate thread.

Consoles are like fat chicks denying that they're fat and that they're beautiful on the inside.
Yea.... just no.

OT: I'm glad we got the PC port, even if I knew it was going to be bad.
At least this time the developers told us it was going to have problems.

VladG:
"Fixes" is a bit much... it's a big step forward to be sure, but the game is still nearly unplayable on the PC.

Horrible framerate (and my rig can run BF3 at max detail, no sweat), horrible mouse control (movement is so jittery that it feels a drunk is controlling the camera), absolutely terrible menus (sorry Skyrim, you have been dethroned) and not even the slightest hint that they were aware most PC gamers don't actually use a gamepad... Is it really that difficult to replace those control tips to actually reflect the keybindings in the game? Or at least let us fucking know which is supposed to be the "B" button on the keyboard?

I was this close to actually paying money for this abomination... thank god a friend got suckered into it first...

I remember playing the PC port of Lost Planet.

The ons screen icons had not been changed so when the opening screen said "Press A to continue" with the A looking like the xbox-controller A I assumed it was the Space key. Nope. The left click. Nope.

I thought the game was frozen till I looked down at my qwerty keyboard... right next to the S Key was the A key. I pressed it... my face when I realised:

I had the navigate the menus using the A key, B key, Y and X keys... I pressed escape and nothing happened, I would have to press the B key to to to previous page in the menu. I mean who did they find who thought it was a good idea to just LITERALLY map the Xbox 360 controller to the keyboard!!!!

Yeah, totally mad at certain developers (and so far in my experience only Japanese developers have f'd up this bad) doing piss poor jobs of porting to or even making games for PC.

This is actually kind of funny. I guess score 1 for the modders. On a slightly related note, wasn't the DLC supposed to come out for the 360 version on the day the pc port came out (Which had the dlc on it)?

VladG:

Julius-Seizure:

Use a game pad for the controls. I was telling people this the moment it was announced. The game was tightly designed around a gamepad (mostly the PS3 controller).

It's times like these that I like to go back and look at the various petition threads for a pc port. The ones where, after From Software had come out and said they don't have experience with the PC, the majority of people said they'd be satisfied as long as they could play it on PC.

And now after the petitions got what they were asking for, people are bitching. It's kind of hilarious really. People who petition for ports of games tend to be so desperate they'll say they'll accept anything, but when they get it suddenly they're using the same standards as always, even when they warned it was probably going to be a bad port first.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Use a game pad for the controls. I was telling people this the moment it was announced. The game was tightly designed around a gamepad (mostly the PS3 controller).

This is not acceptable from a company that has the funding to hire someone with a modicum of talent to fix it.

CrossLOPER:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

This is not acceptable from a company that has the funding to hire someone with a modicum of talent to fix it.

FromSoft is a really small company. They aren't rolling in money.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

It sold well over a million copies. Even if the portion they made was so small that it could not fund making the controls passable, they should have reconsidered pushing this out. At the very least, they should use what they got from the PC release to fund fixes. There is no excuse for releasing a substandard product.

If Fromsoft is smart, they hire this guy and make him check their pc-ports. It gets them another bug fixer who probably is very motivated to do so, and the community applauds them for not acting like EA, which is really easy these days.

For one I don't really care about the resolution problem, I just play PC-games because there is only one tv in our house, and most of the time people are watching stuff on it. PC-gaming is just my little zone of comfort where I can't be bothered by anyone else.

However, I do think that FromSoft should have dropped their dignity and asked someone for help. They were honest about having trouble with porting, but that's no excuse to keep playing the "we don't need help"-game.

Either way, back to Minecraft, still need to farm some obsidian.

The Plunk:
Oh, Escapist. One page in and various people have people have already declared their unyielding hatred for: PC gamers, console gamers, and Linux gamers.

OT:
Bethesda releases a game with so many bugs, it could easily be described as broken:

Escapist:
OH WELL, MODDERS WILL FIX IT, BETHESDA IS TEH BESTEST DEV EVAR (OTHER THAN VALVE OF COURSE!)

From Software releases a game with minor graphical issues:

Escapist:
HOW DARE THEY MAKE ME PLAY AT 30 FPS!??!?! I AM GOING TO BOYCOTT!!!!!!!

Allthingsspectacular:
All the more proof that From Software is a terrible developer and should quit the industry.

If From Software is so terrible, how come Dark Souls was one of the best games of 2011? Oh, wait, I forgot, THAT VERSION WAS FOR DIRTY STINKING CONSOLE PEASENTS, IT DOESN'T COUNT!!!!!111!11!

The 30FPS cap is the reason I didn't buy the Need for Speed: The Run on release. When I play Dirt 3 at max with 120fps on a 120hz screen I see no reason to be limited to 30fps for no reason. At least that got patched though so its ok.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

CD Projekt RED has just over half the staff that From Software has (112 Vs 208) and yet they managed to avoid stepping on their own dicks when making their first port to console (and this is FS's 2nd port to PC).

Well, the Japanese aren't much of PC gamers, and thus it shows in their PC ports. Same with Konami or Capcom. They're mostly 1:1 conversions. Just look at the Silent Hill ports for example. They probably even think they're "keepin' it real" by not changing "the experience" or something...

You wanted the game, and you got it. All strings attached. AFAIK it didn't run all that smoothly on the PS3 either.

proghead:
Well, the Japanese aren't much of PC gamers, and thus it shows in their PC ports. Same with Konami or Capcom. They're mostly 1:1 conversions. Just look at the Silent Hill ports for example. They probably even think they're "keepin' it real" by not changing "the experience" or something...

You wanted the game, and you got it. All strings attached. AFAIK it didn't run all that smoothly on the PS3 either.

Capcom actually put out pretty good ports with DMC4 and RE5(shitty GFWL aside).

Does anyone that uses the word 'entitlement' in a pejorative sense even know what the word means?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.386197-Why-Im-entitled-to-be-entitled

Anyone who uses this word in the context of this incident is exhibiting a deplorable disregard for the English language, in addition to being flat out wrong.

It sucks that the game came out poorly, but hey at least people are working on fixing the problems so everyone can have a better experience with it.

Jesus, this is like throwing a tennis ball against a wall. No matter how skillfully and clearly the PC crowd points out why this slipshod, mess of a port is unacceptable, the others just dont get it.

We get it. Dark Souls was your little darling and ran great for you. Fantastic. But it's got some issues that need to be addressed now that it's on the PC.

Guys, address the people willing to listen and debate intelligently, but ignore the children. They'll yell themselves sleepy in a little while and go away.

Good to see the fixes are coming from somewhere anyway. Maybe when this game is bargain binned and the issues are dealt with as best as possible, I'll check it out.

I know this stuff isn't easy, but when some random dude fixes something broken you didn't care to do in less than half an hour the Time vs. Money argument is totally thrown out the F`ing window and raises some serious questions about other games that were ported and never fixed.

I presume that this (from a programmers point of view) should be a simple fix, since he managed to do it so quickly and without knowing the code for the game.

chadachada123:

Doom972:
That proves that it they could've fixed it, but were just too lazy. I might get Dark Souls eventually but I'll probably avoid any games from this developer in the future.

I doubt it was laziness. I sincerely believe that they just didn't understand how important this issue was to American/European gamers, since PC gaming is not incredibly popular in Japan barring MMOs.

I do believe, however, that the next time they make a PC game, if ever, it will definitely not suffer the same faults that this version did, and will at least outsource the port to someone else.

It's a part of their job to know what their customers are expecting. All they had to do was to play just one PC game to understand what is expected of them.

Mcoffey:
Jesus, this is like throwing a tennis ball against a wall. No matter how skillfully and clearly the PC crowd points out why this slipshod, mess of a port is unacceptable, the others just dont get it.

We get it. Dark Souls was your little darling and ran great for you. Fantastic. But it's got some issues that need to be addressed now that it's on the PC.

Guys, address the people willing to listen and debate intelligently, but ignore the children. They'll yell themselves sleepy in a little while and go away.

Good to see the fixes are coming from somewhere anyway. Maybe when this game is bargain binned and the issues are dealt with as best as possible, I'll check it out.

I'm mostly quoting you because you bring up a great example of what I'm talking about.

Look, I understand that 30 FPS on a PC is not very good. I understand that the resolution locks and control issues are a big deal. I understand that you see the game as a mediocre port because of it.

But when you demean ever person who plays on a console, acting like you are so much better than them, and acting like only good games are on PCs, while every console game ever has been crap, you're going to have a tough time convincing people to give a shit what you say.

And console gamers, same goes for you. PC gamers aren't entitled because they want a port that actually utilizes the capabilities of a PC. And 30 FPS on a TV is not the same as 30 FPS on a computer. Are there games that run better at 30 FPS than 60? Yes, as playing Mega Man 2 on an emulator has proven. But most modern games feel better when they run at maximum capabilities. And holding back those capabilities is counter-intuitive to producing a quality port.

TL;DR, both sides need to address their points in a mature manner. Acting condescending towards anyone disagreeing with your opinion and building strawmen is not the way to get people to pay attention to you. Or rather, they will, but the result will be the opposite of your intention.

Darkmantle:

Risingblade:

Nurb:

CTRL + C
CTRL + V

Complaints for an inexperienced company making poor decisions are completely legitimate
Complaints for delivering a poorly produced product are completely legitimate

There is no excuse for releasing a game that locks FPS at 30 and at resolution that was common in 1998, there is no excuse for allowing sloppy controls on the devices most of the customers use, and there's no excuse for forcing paying customers to create fixes for the above.

People pay money, and they deserve to have expectations for a product of reasonable quality for the money they pay.

I can't believe this industry, it's the only one where a company can make a poor product and tell customers to fuck off if they don't like it, then wonder why sales aren't as good as they thought.

Lol @ what this thread has become...pc elitists vs console fanboys. Now, a REAL gamer knows that you must balance both the dark and the light side...own both systems. Dark Souls is a perfect example. While admit that pc has alot of advantages over the console, I played, finished and ENJOYED DS 6 months ago. Without complaint I might add. The pc release has been out for 24 hours, and the Interwebz are ablaze with your bitching. Lol @ gamings master race

Julius-Seizure:

Either way, FROM gets money. And we may or may not get a patch. Probably not, but I don't really care, I'm having fun with it.

Kudos to you, then. Normally, that might be sarcasm. But all things considered, it's a plus to see people enjoying a product.

Nurb:

People pay money, and they deserve a product of reasonable quality for the money they pay.

These "issues" were well known before the game ever came out. You guys all have the option to not purchase something if you find it to be of poor quality. But the PC community demanded this game, and they got it. Now they're complaining that the game is substandard, despite there being no actual standard.

Maybe next time specify instead of "please make this game on PC," you mean "please make this game using these exact parameters." The PC community has done nothing but complain since the announcement that they would get what they asked for.

FeloniousMonk:

Yeah bro, them PC gamers and their standards, so entitled for making sure the product they're thinking of spending their own money on conforms to their taste, it's sickening. They even have the gall to provide feedback to the developer.

Sweet strawman, bro.

VladG:

No, you're right, It's 100% ok to charge people the same money for a COMPLETELY INFERIOR experience.

Same as what? Inferior to what? There are PC titles with "bad" framerates and resolutons all over. Many at full price. So it's not inferior to PC gaming in general, which has no fixed standard. It's not inferior to the original game (well, unless you count using a keyboard as a navigation tool)

We're such entitled shits for demanding the same quality for our money that PS3 users get.

I'm confused. You want a game where the framerate drops to 10FPS and has a resolution of roughly 720P?

You got it. So where the hell's the problem?

Or, by saying "the same quality" do you mean "better quality?" Because...What you got IS the same quality. With some bonuses, I'll add.

How dare we to actually expect not to get shafted on our own dime!!

While we're knocking down strawman, allow me to say: Yeah, how dare we expect people to actually be informed consumers!

Oh, company is inexperienced? Well that fucking excuses everything. Think I'll go start a construction firm and when buildings collapse and kill dozens of people I can just say I lacked experience, and it will be 100% all right after all.

This analogy might work if people begged you to build said building. As it is, I hope I never get fixated on a hobby so much that a "bad" port is as serious as a collapsing building.

And the risks, oh god. So many people wanted the game to be released on the PC, not to actually BUY and PLAY it, heaven forbid. No, it was all a BIG practical joke to make the poor developers spend time away from their sick grandmas.

Yes, because as we all know, what is said on the internet is a legally binding oath, and people never break that binding oath. (cue images of MW3, ME3, and every other AAA game in the last five years being played by boycotters). And, of course, no company has ever been let down by sales that don't match the demand of an online petition.

Take it from me. I'm a rocket scientist/martial artist/neurosurgeon/rock star, and I vowed to buy ten copies! I mean, if you're going to deride me for thinking people (rather demonstrably) can't be taken for their word, you must believe me, right?

Serves all the sods who bought an unplayable mess right for being such assholes.

LOL. This game is not unplayable. Stop over-dramatising things just because you personally don't like how they turned out.

Also, as all these problems were known before, why the hell did these so-called "assholes" buy the game, anyway? Seriously, this puzzles me. If the framerate and resolution are such serious issues, why weren't people informed enough to go "wow, low frame rate and resolution, this game's going to be an unplayable mess?"

And if they were informed enough, why did they buy it anyway?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here