Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

mooncalf:
Clever modder, knowing how tricky a coding problem can be it's not surprising that the answer came from a source outside one relatively small company.

Not tricky at all actually. It's very common practice to replace a the d3d9 library in games with a custom tooled one.

The ENBSeries does exactly that, only instead of raising resolution, it just added color correction, bloom, depth of field, etc. Or if you have a mod that lets you move a fixed view point, or change the field of view, replacing the d3d9 library is really not that new.

My guess is that FS never got around to adding a UI for custom graphics and not coding a library to support changes in graphics. That kind of stuff actually takes time and money to do.

Zachary Amaranth:

These "issues" were well known before the game ever came out. You guys all have the option to not purchase something if you find it to be of poor quality. But the PC community demanded this game, and they got it. Now they're complaining that the game is substandard, despite there being no actual standard.

Maybe next time specify instead of "please make this game on PC," you mean "please make this game using these exact parameters." The PC community has done nothing but complain since the announcement that they would get what they asked for.

Arkham Asylum, Arkham city, Assassin's creed games, and any number of action games do not have those problems and work fine on PC. THAT is the minimum quality paying customers expect. You'd be saying something too if your console game had instructions for keyboard and mouse pop up or not have it optomized for console hardware, resulting in poorer performance than expected and gamers would not accept that from a PC port. So all your points mean nothing when complaints are legitimate.

Gearhead mk2:
So, how long before he gets arrested?

Step 1: Using an unwritten rule taken from SOPA, he's charged with copyright infringement.
Step 2: He counters by saying he was just doing their job, because they were too lazy to do it.
Step 3: The lawyers get involved, and everyone huffs and puffs like monkeys throwing feces.
Step 4: The case settles out of court, wasting everyone's time, mostly the tax payers.
Step 5: He gets hired by them or some other studio to make or clean up games.

Why don't we just skip to step 5 and get it all over with. This isn't Sony trying to save face because they got schooled by a 20-something.

Nurb:

A Satanic Panda:

These "issues" were well known before the game ever came out. You guys all have the option to not purchase something if you find it to be of poor quality. But the PC community demanded this game, and they got it. Now they're complaining that the game is substandard, despite there being no actual standard.

Maybe next time specify instead of "please make this game on PC," you mean "please make this game using these exact parameters." The PC community has done nothing but complain since the announcement that they would get what they asked for.

Arkham Asylum, Arkham city, Assassin's creed games, and any number of action games do not have those problems and work fine on PC. THAT is the minimum quality paying customers expect. You'd be saying something too if your console game had instructions for keyboard and mouse pop up or not have it optomized for console hardware, resulting in poorer performance than expected and gamers would not accept that from a PC port. So all your points mean nothing when complaints are legitimate.

I think you quoted me wrong bro.

Thing is... Porting is hard (Speaking from experience here). We don't know the details of how the project is structured internally, yet I'm willing to guess that in order to meet the original console deadline they probably made a lot of hacks and patches (As is common in software development) that messed the codebase enough to make PC porting more time (and money) consuming than they first anticipated.

Consider that a UI to set up system options is rarely necessary for console games, so it is plausible it was impossible to code in a decent timespan. That's why many ports have the configuration tool outside the game (as a launcher).

I just hope FROM Software handle this graciously, and learning about how this user fixed the issue, try and make a patch (even if they just copy what he did and package it as a free downloadable patch).

Seeing how they already made the effort to port a popular game to an underperforming market, I have some sympathy for them.

BiH-Kira:
And this is the problem I was talking about when the first news about the graphics problems arrived.

There is no excuse that developer don't know that. The only explanation is laziness. Buying the game and rewarding the developer for their laziness is the worst thing they can do. Maybe From Software will do better in their next game/port, but if the game is successful, it will only tell other developer that it's OK to give us bad ports as long as the game isn't complete crap.

Or it could be that not every PC is a liquid nitrogen cooled machine sent straight from Zeus? They had to tone it down to make sure that more people could actually play it. To me this is no different then the HD mods for MineCraft, or the Improved Textures mod for Skyrim.

A Satanic Panda:

I think you quoted me wrong bro.

sorry about that.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

BiH-Kira:
And this is the problem I was talking about when the first news about the graphics problems arrived.

There is no excuse that developer don't know that. The only explanation is laziness. Buying the game and rewarding the developer for their laziness is the worst thing they can do. Maybe From Software will do better in their next game/port, but if the game is successful, it will only tell other developer that it's OK to give us bad ports as long as the game isn't complete crap.

Or it could be that not every PC is a liquid nitrogen cooled machine sent straight from Zeus? They had to tone it down to make sure that more people could actually play it. To me this is no different then the HD mods for MineCraft, or the Improved Textures mod for Skyrim.

1024x720 resolution and a max of 30 FPS was good for 1998. Your point there would have been acceptable 14 years ago, but there's no excuse now.

The speed at which these threads devolved into taking cheap shots the other side is embarrassing.

Nurb:

Zachary Amaranth:

"poorer performance than expected"

So it is entirely miserable simply because it doesn't meet your non-industry standard specific conditions?

The games you listed were intended for PC release anyway. Dark Souls wasn't. PC Gamers whined till they got it.

Mcoffey:
Jesus, this is like throwing a tennis ball against a wall. No matter how skillfully and clearly the PC crowd points out why this slipshod, mess of a port is unacceptable, the others just dont get it.

We get it. Dark Souls was your little darling and ran great for you. Fantastic. But it's got some issues that need to be addressed now that it's on the PC.

Guys, address the people willing to listen and debate intelligently, but ignore the children. They'll yell themselves sleepy in a little while and go away.

Good to see the fixes are coming from somewhere anyway. Maybe when this game is bargain binned and the issues are dealt with as best as possible, I'll check it out.

You speak as though your points have merit (outside the control mapping, that one is a giant fail for From Software).

But for the most part, you're all complaining that you got your gold ring, but it doesn't have diamonds in it.

Nurb:

1024x720 resolution and a max of 30 FPS was good for 1998. Your point there would have been acceptable 14 years ago, but there's no excuse now.

This post will sound a lot like I am defending the game ( I agree that it's a bad port) however;

1024x720 - Bad
30 Fps - Bad
keyboard/mouse integration and use of 360 symbols - bad
GFWL - lazy, bad

expansion pack (Artorias) developed along with the port - good
openly admitting the frame rate/display problems before release - good
charging less than full price - good
the quality of the game to begin with - good (PS3 for me)
no stutter in blightown - Fuck yeah!

never ported a game before - understandable
30 fps frame rate hard coded meaning mods at 60 fps play the game at 2 seconds to 1 IRL - requires complete engine rewrite - understandable (this was on durante's neogaff forum did not confirm)
GFWL net code the same as Xbox 360 net code meaning no multi-player code rewrite - lazy definitely, understandable

use of usb connected xbox360 controller sidesteps the keboard problem - extra money but worth it

the .dll mod from durante day one - helped a lot, possible lazy/stupidity on From Software

the game being built for console with computer not even an after thought - important point

If From Software had waited to tell the frame rate and resolution until the initial reviewers found out I would be calling for their heads on pikes, however I think they handled themselves properly considering the product they delivered.

Louzerman102:

Nurb:

This post will sound a lot like I am defending the game ( I agree that it's a bad port) however;

1024x720 - Bad
30 Fps - Bad
keyboard/mouse integration and use of 360 symbols - bad
GFWL - lazy, bad

expansion pack (Artorias) developed along with the port - good
openly admitting the frame rate/display problems before release - good
charging less than full price - good
the quality of the game to begin with - good (PS3 for me)
no stutter in blightown - Fuck yeah!

never ported a game before - understandable
30 fps frame rate hard coded meaning mods at 60 fps play the game at 2 seconds to 1 IRL - requires complete engine rewrite - understandable (this was on durante's neogaff forum did not confirm)
GFWL net code the same as Xbox 360 net code meaning no multi-player code rewrite - lazy definitely, understandable

use of usb connected xbox360 controller sidesteps the keboard problem - extra money but worth it

the .dll mod from durante day one - helped a lot, possible lazy/stupidity on From Software

the game being built for console with computer not even an after thought - important point

If From Software had waited to tell the frame rate and resolution until the initial reviewers found out I would be calling for their heads on pikes, however I think they handled themselves properly considering the product they delivered.

Pretty much this, guess we're done here.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Nurb:

Zachary Amaranth:

"poorer performance than expected"

So it is entirely miserable simply because it doesn't meet your non-industry standard specific conditions?

The games you listed were intended for PC release anyway. Dark Souls wasn't. PC Gamers whined till they got it.

Yes, that "non-industry standard" is a bad thing. Other games released with similar issues would get the same reception in reviews and reflects badly on them as a company.

PC gamers were trying to throw money at them and were giving legitimate complaints, but paying customers won't accept any old shit slapped together by people just wanting the money. I'm very sorry that you're wrong.

I think someone should be offered a job :)

Or a lot of people should lose theirs...

... or both xD

Does anyone know if From Soft have commented on the news about the fix? Because I'm curious what they have to say for themselves when someone manages to fix in 23 what they couldn't do in several months time.

Blargh McBlargh:
Does anyone know if From Soft have commented on the news about the fix? Because I'm curious what they have to say for themselves when someone manages to fix in 23 what they couldn't do in several months time.

Do we know he got the game at release and not a leaked copy a few weeks in advance?

Do we know his fix fixes the problems on all configurations? I know he had some time before that. But he's not going to say he got a leaked copy, is he?

Honestly, throughout the PC gamers asking for this port, FROM said it wouldn't be pretty. They are a console-central developer, and they're working on other games. The fact that PC gamers are angry about this is just a bit silly. That's like asking Bungie to port Halo 3 over to PC while they're in the middle of their new game, then being all shocked that it isn't a good port.

ThePS1Fan:

Judgement101:
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.

Um, what?
Really, as console gamer I am seriously confused as to why PC gamers can't ask for ports of games. Sure some are a little elitist, but you have to understand that consoles are using 6 year old hardware. PC gamers just want their games to be in 2012 not 2006.

O_o this is the first time I've ever seen someone who's a console fan see our point! Thank you!

And to the guy you quoted, what's the issue? PC gamers aren't allowed to ask for ports?

See, this sort of thing makes you feel as though developers should be coding their games to work on a standard PC, and then downgrade it for console support. Developers are forgetting that the consoles are running on 6 year old hardware. Their development of a game optimized for use on what amounts to a 6 year old computer with all of its components hardwired into the case is naturally going to be somewhat inferior when ported to a brand new PC whose components are hot-swappable and much higher in quality and specs.

Mind I'm not saying that everything on console must also be on PC, that's just silly. But they decided to create a PC port of their game without investing enough time in making sure it was top quality for devices built to run on a much higher level. How much of that "demand" for their game on the PC might have died if they had just said "Hey guys, the game isn't really designed to run optimally on PCs, so you'll have lower frame rates and a fixed res. Is that still okay?". The elitists would have been scared off immediately, leaving room for intelligent discussion, and they may well have decided that porting isn't worth it.

It's admittedly not encouraging when a PC modder is able to fix some of your game's core issues in under a half hour though. It gives the impression that you really didn't know what you were doing.

CriticKitten:

It's admittedly not encouraging when a PC modder is able to fix some of your game's core issues in under a half hour though. It gives the impression that you really didn't know what you were doing.

That's what From Software has been saying all along. They admitted from the start that they were not familiar at all with PC development and were basically playing it by ear in order to give PC gamers the port they wanted.

PC gamers should have known what they were asking. What From did was good enough given the circumstances (You cant expect them to drop tons of money on entering a market they have little to no experience with in any way) and PC gamers should live up to their promise. If they dont then they will be sending the wrong message. If you refuse to buy the game because someone fixed a problem with it then you are ridiculous. From do not have experience with the PC, if you dont buy the game it will stay that way.

And...why doesn't this guy have a job in the industry yet...? I mean, other than his possibly not wanting one?

Glad to have the game on PC....but..Now if only they can fix it's Many issues that are holding back this fucking superb game. Bought it for PS3 and got it for PC because i want to support Namco.

PC l33tist since 1993 and proud of it. This has been the norm for PC gaming over the years and this certainly is not a new idea. Console games pre-internet launch suffered for the inability to patch anything that wasn't polished. Some people was left with nothing but a broken game. Of course post internet/storage devices on console systems, the player is still left at the mercy of the developer.

For anyone that's interested, it appears that the X360/PS3 versions of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die are coming out Oct 26:
http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-released-in-pc-in-europe

Jobbie:
PC l33tist since 1993 and proud of it. This has been the norm for PC gaming over the years and this certainly is not a new idea. Console games pre-internet launch suffered for the inability to patch anything that wasn't polished. Some people was left with nothing but a broken game.

That was ridiculously rare, though, because people had to like, actually test the game before launch, and ensure a working product was being put out, whereas now broken or barely working games are released on a fairly regular basis because the "Well, we can patch it later if it explodes" mindset has become more prevalent. Thus, your argument is full of holes, but having admitted you're an elitist, sound arguments aren't your thing in the first place, I suppose.

ReinWeisserRitter:

Jobbie:
PC l33tist since 1993 and proud of it. This has been the norm for PC gaming over the years and this certainly is not a new idea. Console games pre-internet launch suffered for the inability to patch anything that wasn't polished. Some people was left with nothing but a broken game.

That was ridiculously rare, though, because people had to like, actually test the game before launch, and ensure a working product was being put out, whereas now broken or barely working games are released on a fairly regular basis because the "Well, we can patch it later if it explodes" mindset has become more prevalent. Thus, your argument is full of holes, but having admitted you're an elitist, sound arguments aren't your thing in the first place, I suppose.

That's an idea espoused around the world. It's the exception to the rule that a company will try to release a perfect product. It's far more efficient to release and then patch. Hell, any company that attempts to release something perfect and never patch it has never done well. I think HL is the one exception to this in recent memory.

I liked Dark Souls
But I don't like from software
They just seem overwhelmingly lazy more than anything else

Lots and lots of chatting.

Lunar Templar:
meh, I'm more concerned about the controls then the difference between 720 and 1080p (what ever the fuck that means, yes, i really am that out of touch)

From what I heard, it looks like we'll all be pulling out our console controllers.

Hannibal942:

Lunar Templar:
meh, I'm more concerned about the controls then the difference between 720 and 1080p (what ever the fuck that means, yes, i really am that out of touch)

From what I heard, it looks like we'll all be pulling out our console controllers.

hardly a deal breaker there, i spent most my gaming life on a console, though i might need a newer controller then the one i have

ThePS1Fan:

Judgement101:
I'm still never buying a game from them ever again because of this. Not the game's quality, the fact that they gave in to those entitled jerk PC Gamers.

Um, what?
Really, as console gamer I am seriously confused as to why PC gamers can't ask for ports of games. Sure some are a little elitist, but you have to understand that consoles are using 6 year old hardware. PC gamers just want their games to be in 2012 not 2006.

I thought it got a little extreme when half of this forum started bitching that the frame rate was capped at slightly faster then a human eye can see and then blaming console gamers for 'accepting such a low standard'.

ThePS1Fan:

Judgement101:

Um, what?

I just find this post rather ironic, Nothing against you personally, I think your post is fine. But the shear fact that PC gamers are now being labeled as "elitist" is ironic and funny to me considering that up until a couple of years ago I couldn't spend more than 24 hours online without seeing some post about how PC gaming was all but dead. And here we are today trying to determine if we will see consoles go past the Wii-U, Xbox 720, and PS4.

anyone else find this an odd turn of events?

ResonanceSD:

ReinWeisserRitter:

Jobbie:

That's an idea espoused around the world. It's the exception to the rule that a company will try to release a perfect product. It's far more efficient to release and then patch. Hell, any company that attempts to release something perfect and never patch it has never done well. I think HL is the one exception to this in recent memory.

Your "extremely rare" argument is less than sound as you need to brush up on your history of video games. Not every game that has been burned to a disk or wrote to a cartridge has been free of bugs and issues. I never said I only owned a PC. When it comes to consoles, I've owned them all starting with the Sega Master System. As for newer consoles, I've owned a 360 before it died in a fire, and now I own a PS3 that serves as a Blu-ray disk player and a Netflix hub.

My l33test comment was meant as a joke but I feel that the fanboy is strong with you. I say stay passionate for what you care about. Just don't be blinded by the bubble you sit in. Step outside your comfort zone and see things from a different light. Most of the time you might learn a thing or two.

MorganL4:
I just find this post rather ironic, Nothing against you personally, I think your post is fine. But the shear fact that PC gamers are now being labeled as "elitist" is ironic and funny to me considering that up until a couple of years ago I couldn't spend more than 24 hours online without seeing some post about how PC gaming was all but dead. And here we are today trying to determine if we will see consoles go past the Wii-U, Xbox 720, and PS4.

anyone else find this an odd turn of events?

I think we could see the exact same thing with the next generation. The way the console market works at the start of a generation consoles are at least on par with modern PCs but due to how the console market works they're significantly cheaper. People see this and probably question whether or not PCs have any staying power with the extra cost involved. Then as the generation is reaching it's end and PCs are far more advanced people start to question whether consoles can compete with an ever evolving system that constantly improves.

ah, in all seriousness the game is solid. yes, its a shame that its capped at 30fps, because anyone with at least 2 brain cells alive knows that there is a difference between objects at 0,3m and an objects at 5m.... but the game is solid.

i just think that they should mention that xbox360 controller is pretty much required. i mean, i bought one just for that occasion and i do not regret it - but some people might (and i can fully understand it) feel scammed.

its really a shame that they rushed it, because that game could really be popular on the pc. i mean, skill based action rpg, that actually is difficult? with progression? and some sort of multi-player? add mod support and maybe a bit more open world and i will be in haven.

it would also be a shame if a rushed port would put people off the franchise because this game has got a lot of potential, and now i see why people wanted it so bad on pc.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here