Modder Fixes Dark Souls PC Port in 23 Minutes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Rich Newman:
For anyone that's interested, it appears that the X360/PS3 versions of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die are coming out Oct 26:
http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-released-in-pc-in-europe

Now this is Escapist news...maybe I should be sending them press releases...

neonit:
ah, in all seriousness the game is solid. yes, its a shame that its capped at 30fps, because anyone with at least 2 brain cells alive knows that there is a difference between objects at 0,3m and an objects at 5m.... but the game is solid.

i just think that they should mention that xbox360 controller is pretty much required. i mean, i bought one just for that occasion and i do not regret it - but some people might (and i can fully understand it) feel scammed.

its really a shame that they rushed it, because that game could really be popular on the pc. i mean, skill based action rpg, that actually is difficult? with progression? and some sort of multi-player? add mod support and maybe a bit more open world and i will be in haven.

it would also be a shame if a rushed port would put people off the franchise because this game has got a lot of potential, and now i see why people wanted it so bad on pc.

I played it a bit on the PS3 (limited time) and was happy to see it on the PC which is where I do most of my gaming. I was disappointed because I really wanted a good mouse and keyboard interface, and was disappointed to see that they didn't optimize the game for mouse and keyboard play.

Perhaps at some point I'll work on getting a gamepad to work for my PC, but right now I will say I feel disappointed. The graphics issues weren't as big a deal for me as the handling.

So yeah, I agree, it's a shame that they rushed it. I think this could have found a lot of fans on the PC if they had taken the time to do it right.

To be honest I suspect part of the problem with localizing the game properly was that a good portion of the game's difficulty comes from spotty controls on the console. A lot of times when I died it was more due to being unable to get my guy to do what I wanted, when and how I wanted, even if it should be possible. Getting some of the precisian needed with a console controller being tricky. With a proper mouse/keyboard set up the controls are going to be a lot more spot on, and I think that's is part of the problem (the old shooter contreversy taken to a new game), on some levels I suspect the cruddy port might have been intentional.

That said, I do hope for a ptch.

I find it humorous that a mini-war broke out between PC gamers and console gamers on this thread.

OT ~ I wonder if every patch for every game every was this easy to make, just no one bothered to get around to them for a while. Like the Skyrim patches for example.

And this, developers, is why you should hire experienced modders onto your team. 'Cause they're apparently better at programming than you are.

Louzerman102:
30 fps frame rate hard coded meaning mods at 60 fps play the game at 2 seconds to 1 IRL - requires complete engine rewrite - understandable (this was on durante's neogaff forum did not confirm)

That is not understandable at all. That's just lazy engine design. Though it does show that they had absolutely no intention to port their game on anything but PS3/360, and were probably hoping that the franchise would die before the next console generation else they'd have to rewrite the engine.

Using deltas (making an engine that works with any FPS) is just as easy as hard-coding a certain FPS.

z121231211:

Louzerman102:
30 fps frame rate hard coded meaning mods at 60 fps play the game at 2 seconds to 1 IRL - requires complete engine rewrite - understandable (this was on durante's neogaff forum did not confirm)

That is not understandable at all. That's just lazy engine design. Though it does show that they had absolutely no intention to port their game on anything but PS3/360, and were probably hoping that the franchise would die before the next console generation else they'd have to rewrite the engine.

Using deltas (making an engine that works with any FPS) is just as easy as hard-coding a certain FPS.

When I wrote the line "understandable" I was referring to the fact that From Software is not going to do an extensive rewriting of the engine just for the PC 1 year after release. Please remember all of the games From Software has made in house have been for Console, making an engine "easier" for PC was never a priority.

On a side note From Software has never struck me as having technical proficiency in coding.

Anyway I still say it's a very fun game to play (with controller) and a very bad port.

Julius-Seizure:
Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

It's more likely that people aren't aware it's an awful port until AFTER they've purchased it, they then Google why it has issues / sucks / looks bad and find threads like this. By then, the developer already has their money and there isn't really anything the customer can do about it.

It's not like the STEAM store page says "Dark Souls is the new action role-playing game from the developers who brought you Demon's Souls, FromSoftware. It's badly ported, suffers from many issues including very low resolution and poor framerate, among other things.".

Enverex:

Julius-Seizure:
Last time I checked, Dark Souls was just under CS:GO on the top sellers list on Steam.

Something tells me that the "blaa from software are terrible developers they should quit the industry forever argh" crowd is a vocal minority.

It's more likely that people aren't aware it's an awful port until AFTER they've purchased it, they then Google why it has issues / sucks / looks bad and find threads like this. By then, the developer already has their money and there isn't really anything the customer can do about it.

It's not like the STEAM store page says "Dark Souls is the new action role-playing game from the developers who brought you Demon's Souls, FromSoftware. It's badly ported, suffers from many issues including very low resolution and poor framerate, among other things.".

Or they're like me, enjoying the product for what it is, regardless of how well it was ported.

I registered to reply to this thread. Usually, as far as games go, the vocal minority crowds around forums. If you're malcontent, I can understand why you feel like that. If you haven't been following the production of this game for PC since its inception you're probably shafting yourself expectation-wise in regard to hardware and system stuff -- I'd characterize pc people in general all about optimizing and customizing due purely to the fact of maintaining a rig (myself included). But this game is amazing and I feel like I have to post on behalf of the happy silent masses.

In defense of the game:

This game makes my heart pump, makes me sit for minutes upon agonizing choices, makes me strategize and prepare. This game gives me a feeling of trepidation and shivers when I enter into a new area - like your first hour of skyrim. But unlike later in skyrim, I still feel it even if I've already been there a thousand times before. When I was a kid I'd play this crappy baseball video game and add stories for the characters, invent my own teams and make it fun. I don't have that same imagination now. This game takes that charm and institutionalizes it. You need to create and follow a route of your own decision, investment, and dare I say, imagination. It's a personal experience bound to mechanics as much as story.

In defense of the company:

From software is a small company. I've listened to some of their developer interviews and they have a genuine passion for creating games. If you've fought the last boss, he's got the "holy shit" if you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to spoil anything. In an interview, the head guy (miyazaki) said his greatest disappointment was the final boss. He wanted to make a boss where any playstyle could defeat him, but only with exemplary skill. Only if you were truly masterfully adept at your style could you beat him. Now talk about build variety (cough diablo 3 cough). The boss (impressive as it is) was crafted due to budget and time constraints and was nowhere near up to the standards miyazaki had in mind. This game is a product of imagination and passion, and it shows.

My rant:

This place seems like it's full of people who like outrage, like to be angry and desire to demonstrate their english wordsmithing. I can't promise anything about the wordsmithing part but there's a divide nobody seems to acknowledge: there are games born of passion, and games made as a product. Diablo 1: Fresh meat! D2: Not even death can save you from me! If you know these moments, you know what I'm talking about.

Now this brand has established its name and virtual street cred. Activision acquires, bobby kotick works his soap products industry magic and "takes all the fun out of game development." D3: Cain dies and tyrael runs away from a siegebreaker. I clear inferno at 30 hours, totally done at 60, grudgingly admit I'm done and this game doesn't live up to its name at 100. Not a bad game, but not the game it was touted or the one I was looking for. Just a way to suck up $60 and try to install addictive tendencies to ensure long-term income on thousands of microtransactions through the real-money auction house. But man, f***! Where'd the good times go?

I don't look down on you if you play CoD or genuinely enjoy D3. You're entitled to your opinions and such. Some of my friends are hardcore consumers, they talk about stuff they want to buy and stuff they bought they love. They spend a *lot* of money on stuff. It doesn't make sense to me, and it only seems like they're happy for a short time after getting something, but its their choice. To me, the "consumers" of the video game industry are the people who care a lot about graphics, and to some extent, mechanical ability. If it detracts from the game's core experience, then obv there's a problem. But if it doesn't, you're a whore.

To bring it back on point, dark souls looks beautiful, whether its in 1024x768 or not. Framerate? Really? I don't feel like that's even relevant, it doesn't get in the way of the experience! To some extent I get behind the "wtf port" thing, you can't play this game with a keyboard. On the other hand, if you don't research where you put your money you're the only person to blame. But this can go either way. This game could do well to come with a disclaimer (Controller-only!)

In defense of the port:

As I've already said, FS is a small company. They wanted to create an effective PC port, jumped into it because of the petition, then realized (proverbially) they didn't know how to swim. But the entire way they communicated that and delivered exactly what they promised. They're an ethical company who's in games because of passion, not money, and their games produce amazing experiences I respect. All this outrage I see is borne of lack of research, or a consumerist attitude.

About that 23 minute patch:

The guy who did it had actually been working on it the week leading up to release. There were many man hours put into it but that doesn't make a catchy enough copy title to get past any editor when you have the obvious alternative.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)