Minecraft Update Will Add Terrifying New Boss

Minecraft Update Will Add Terrifying New Boss

An upcoming Minecraft snapshot has revealed a host of new features.

A new pre-release build of Minecraft is available for download, and with it comes a number of updates and fresh new blocks. While the update's content is very cool on its own, a secret lies hidden in the patch's code: a new hostile creature is nestled in the game's files, and it's a nasty one. The new enemy is currently dubbed the Wither, looks to be Minecraft's second boss monster, and is confirmed to be the subject of my nightmares tonight.

The Wither does not spawn anywhere in the game naturally, but enterprising players have been able to invoke its blocky existence by modifying the updated files. It appears as a floating black skeleton with three heads, and constantly emits smoke particles. Its primary attack launches a projectile skull which explodes on impact. Players hit by the explosion are afflicted with a unique poison, slowly draining their health and replenishing the Wither's hit points. As if that wasn't dangerous enough, each of the Wither's three heads act independently, allowing it to target several foes at once. The Wither has a special "Boss Health" bar (previously unique to the Ender Dragon), and can soak up 300 points of damage before going down (compared to the Dragon's 200 points). Oh, and at half health, it becomes immune to arrows.

Also included in the update are a handful of new blocks, including frames to hang your items on walls and wooden buttons that can be activated from afar by hitting them with arrows. A new invisibility potion renders players and creatures undetectable (though items and armor are unaffected, so you can finally roleplay as The Invisible Man). Maps have also been overhauled to allow for copying and resizing, and leather armor can be dyed to your fashionable heart's content. The full patch notes are available on Reddit.

The team at Mojang is not commenting on the Wither's debut, but it seems you can expect the rest of the new content to be available in a full patch sometime soon. In the meantime, you can grab the pre-release client on Mojang's site. It may be wise to start preparing now - it sounds like this boss is ready to knock your block off.

Source: Mojang via PC Gamer

I'm really interested to see how the Wither boss spawns. Something like that must have a unique entrance.

You forgot the biggest news of them all, corner stairs! Finally roofs will look good!
How are you even supposed to kill it without arrows? That's just mean.

I can't say I'm for all the boss updates. It gives minecraft a purpose, which I feel kinda defeats the point...

Huh.
Glad I wont be encountering that since I play on peaceful.

Somebody's been playing The Binding of Isaac. Actually I have no idea what this was inspired from.

I would probably enjoy this... but my MineCraft world is too large for my computer to handle. I spent over 200 hours on that world, so until I have a better computer, we're done here.

Annd now I'm building a house with diamond wall insulation.

Because the level of nope of that thing is far far too high.

Some other things the new patch will bring that weren't mentioned here:

- The Wither can also 'eat' through Walls and other terrain to get to you

- Villagers can now like or dislike you depending on how you treat them

- Flower Pots that can be used to plant Saplings & Flowers (The former won't grow into a tree if in a pot)

- You'll be able to grow Carrots and Potatoes

- Maps, Clocks & Compasses will be placeable on walls (via the Item Frames)

- Leather Armour & Wolf Collars can be dyed different colours (so you can tell each Wolf apart)

- Stone Walls (work like Fences)

- Stairs will now form Corner Stairs if placed appropriately

- Zombies can turn Villagers into more Zombies

- Zombies & Skeletons may now occasionally have Weapons & Armour (sometimes enchanted)

- NPCs can now go through Nether Portals

- You can build 'Beacons' that apply buffs to you if you're near them.

I wonder if the Wither and Ender dragons would be hostile towards eachother...

Edit:

Aeshi:

The Ender dragon actually does this as well from my own experience with spawning them out in the world.

It's interesting to watch them cut through water.

this makes me wish I played minecraft.

Dr. Crawver:
I can't say I'm for all the boss updates. It gives minecraft a purpose, which I feel kinda defeats the point...

I do agree with you in the sense of 'why add bosses?'. But on the other hand...there is no purpose to defeat the boss other than to defeat it. You don't 'finish' the game, and still doesn't give the game a purpose overall. There is just something in the game that you can do if you want.

With the new invisibility pot, the new boos seems like it's going to be a piece of piss.

Still no word on the verdict in Apple's patent suit against Samsung?

Mod Edit~ This user has had several warnings with regards to making low content off topic posts which do not contribute or address the topic at hand, they have not heeded the warnings of the Mod Team or the Site Staff, as such Forum rights are revoked

Sorry don't know what I was thinking when I posted this.

Aeshi:
Some other things the new patch will bring that weren't mentioned here:

- Villagers can now like or dislike you depending on how you treat them

- Flower Pots that can be used to plant Saplings & Flowers (The former won't grow into a tree if in a pot)

- You'll be able to grow Carrots and Potatoes

- Maps, Clocks & Compasses will be placeable on walls (via the Item Frames)

- Leather Armour & Wolf Collars can be dyed different colours (so you can tell each Wolf apart)

- Stone Walls (work like Fences)

- Stairs will now form Corner Stairs if placed appropriately

- Zombies can turn Villagers into more Zombies

- Zombies & Skeletons may now occasionally have Weapons & Armour (sometimes enchanted)

- NPCs can now go through Nether Portals

- You can build 'Beacons' that apply buffs to you if you're near them.

I take it you didn't watch the full video then.

How do you spawn the Ender Dragon again?

I've never done it :(

Get out of my head, Mojang!
Thank you kindly

-Flailing

Vie:
Annd now I'm building a house with diamond wall insulation.

Because the level of nope of that thing is far far too high.

but you forget one thing: diamond blocks are weak as hell. go obsidian.

Draconalis:
I wonder if the Wither and Ender dragons would be hostile towards eachother...
&
The Ender dragon actually does this as well from my own experience with spawning them out in the world.

It's interesting to watch them cut through water.

There's an important difference however. The Ender Dragon passively destroys blocks[1] simply by coming in contact with them, whereas the Wither has to actually stop and actively 'eat' a hole in the wall, during which you can attack without retaliation.

But yeah, it's funny to spawn an Ender Dragon in the regular world. For bonus lulz try digging down underground and watch him instantly carve a network of tunnels.

Also to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the Wither is only hostile to Animals (Wolves, Sheep), Villagers, Constructs (Iron Golems, Snow Golems) and the Player.

DVS BSTrD:
Still no word on the verdict in Apple's patent suit against Samsung?

What the heck does that have to do with anything here?

[1] With the exception of Obsidian (which they phase through) and Enderstone (Which they can't destroy or move through)

I hope they're not even thinking about adding another dimension for this guy. One half-baked one and another almost completely useless one are enough for now and should be improved first.

I checked the weekly patch notes yesterday and was actually relatively impressed at how much shit they got done, maybe this patch won't take half a bloody year?

GeorgW:
You forgot the biggest news of them all, corner stairs! Finally roofs will look good!
How are you even supposed to kill it without arrows? That's just mean.

Splash Healing pots will kill the undead one.

Notch, just make The Reaper Creeper and made it a Minecraft meets Shadow of The Colosuss battle. Insta-Win right there.

I'm very impressed with the amount of stuff that they are adding in 1.4. Presumably thanks to the new guy, Dinnerbone. Minecraft's dev cycle seems to be "Employ new and eager person > He eventually starts to slow down > Send him off to work on Scrolls > Repeat".

But with regards to the wither:

Have you seen how ridiculously fast this motherfucker attacks?!

I'm guessing we'll need to use the new feature that allows you to visit your friends' worlds, as well as highly tactical use of enchants and potions, to take him down. A bit like Dark Souls I guess.

Given the Enderdragon was frustrating an unbelievably annoying, I don't have high hopes for a boss with a 100 more health and can become immune to arrows.

All these updates are great. I'm glad to see they're still bringing new stuff into the game. Everytime one of these comes out though, it makes me wanna restart a new ocean survival map so that the new features are present in my little world.

God, I love survival maps.

If that thing just roams the overworld.... Nope, just nope.

Dr. Crawver:

Yer, I feel the same way but because you don't have to fight it I just play normally.
I might try to take 'em on someday, but I'm a building man at heart.

Yikes, Looks like a Creeper had sex with an Enderman and it gave birth! o.O

I will happily welcome another being to kill and place it's rare-super-special-one-of-a-kind-uber item on the mantelpiece aslong as it doesn't turn into a bloody chore to find.
Enderdragon is kind of fun to fight but is so not worth the effort in searching for him.

Not trying to one-up the coverage, but the Yogscast has some pretty effective coverage of the new snapshot and the Wither boss as well. Haven't checked Hatfilms yet...

oh god...

and talk about OP lol :P

Finally I can build my war room to have maps of the entire world on the walls! Oddly enough this is exactly what I was hoping for!

Another boss? Sweet! Wait, no... I play Minecraft to build stuff... does Mojang not understand what makes their own game fun? Kudos for adding more ways to play, I'm sure, though I can't say it affects me in any way. It's just a bit more "plot" that I don't really want.

At least this BertieChap is entertaining rather than that dry little Youtube hopeful whose video they chose for the Escapist announcement. I was kind of hoping for a Mojang trailer.

Hopefully this one won't knock you into a bottomless abyss where you die and lose your multiple sets of diamond armor, golden apples, multiple strength potions, and the rest of a full inventory of gear you scavenged without cheats to kill within 30 seconds of getting into The End. </fume>

Evil Smurf:
this makes me wish I played minecraft.

It's barely 20 dollars. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

I for one am creaming my blocky pants over this update. owo

Captcha: by the seashore

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or