Happy Wars Happy to Entertain the Poor

Happy Wars Happy to Entertain the Poor

Cutesy multiplayer brawler, Happy Wars will be XBLA's first free-to-play game.

No, Crimson Alliance doesn't count. Toylogic's Happy Wars will be the first free-to-play game on XBLA. Well, technically it'll be free. You'll need an Xbox Live Gold account to download it, and those hardly grow on trees.

As the title might imply, Happy Wars is a cutesy territorial action game which pits teams of 15 bobble-headed munchkins against one another in online slugfests. Players choose between three classes - warrior, mage or cleric - and attempt to take various castles scattered around the game's maps. The microtransaction hook comes in the form of "lavishly rendered items" you can buy for your characters, though it isn't clear if they're limited to cosmetic changes, or if the game will be veering into pay-to-win territory. Toylogic promises regular updates which will include more items and customization options. It'll be interesting to see how that gels with Microsoft's alleged habit of charging exorbitant fees for title updates.

Toylogic is no stranger to games about punching adorable creatures in the face while things explode in the background. The Japanese developer has worked on both Super Smash Bros Brawl and radioactive-reptile-themed knockoff of the same, Turtles Smash Up. This is both the first non-Nintendo exclusive and free-to-play game the company has worked on.

Happy Wars is set to launch on XBLA this autumn.

Source: PlayXBLA

Gee a free to play title that's only 3 years late. Remember when Joyride was supposed to be f2p according to e3 2009?

It ain't happy with no Happy!

OT: Looks fun in any case, might keep an eye out for it, I've had little to play for a long while.

Looks...interesting. I'll pick it up only because it's free, doubt I'll play it much.

I guess you could sat the chibi is a freebee =D

Hrm... puts me in mind of fat princess, without the fixed isometric camera and some expanded gameplay elements like turrets.

Something still seems off to me though. Cant put my finger on it.

I'm pretty sure Aegis Wing was the first free to play XBLA game, it just didn't have any micro-transactions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis_Wing

Grey Carter:
Well, technically it'll be free. You'll need an Xbox Live Gold account to download it, and those hardly grow on trees.

So it isn't really free to play as such. Something tells me I couldn't get a month of Gold, download the game and then play it offline either so I guess this is another one I'll be missing out on. It looks pretty neat too which is a shame.

Souplex:
I'm pretty sure Aegis Wing was the first free to play XBLA game, it just didn't have any micro-transactions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis_Wing

First thing I thought of when I read the article. Also note that I don't think you need Gold Membership for Aegis Wing because it can play four on the same console, thus being a truly F2P game.

if only I had an xbox

Aegis Wing and Yaris are free to play XBLA games, and both are from 2007...

I'll try it out. Got nothing to lose.

this'll be the same xbl that charges developers 10s of thousands to patch a game ye ?

can't figure out why its not crawling with mainstream F2P titles.
y'know...except for the changeless internet...

You know, its not really free to play if you have to play 10 bucks for gold.

I'm assuming the customization comes with a price. Not that I'd spend money on making a character look cool >.>.

Brad Shepard:
You know, its not really free to play if you have to play 10 bucks for gold.

That's a good point.

You'd think that, with the retarded xbla "gold" fees, there would be more "free" to play titles.
I hope the dev gets a share of those fees.

As for the game, it looks like dungeon defenders which, to me, equals shit.
Floaty, repetetive third person combat with no real impact.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here