ICO, Shadow of the Colossus Producer Leaves Sony

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ICO, Shadow of the Colossus Producer Leaves Sony

Kenji Kaido and Sony have parted ways, but it's unclear if the ICO producer was working on The Last Guardian.

Kenji Kaido, producer of both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, announced today that he has resigned from Sony Computer Entertainment. It's unclear if Kaido was working on the The Last Guardian, if so this will be yet another setback in the game's already troubled development.

Yoshifusa Hayama was serving as executive producer on the project before he left to join Facebook game developer, Bossa Studios, in December of last year. The game's director, Fumito Ueda, also left the company, but he's still working on the title as a contractor.

After failing to show The Last Guardian at a number of trade shows, Sony admitted that its Tokyo Studio was having "technical difficulties," and announced it was bringing in Sony Santa Monica and other western developers to assist with the oft-delayed title. Since then, we've heard very little about the game.

After leaving Taito in 1997, Kaido joined Sony, where he worked on Tomba! and served as lead designer and associate producer on Ape Escape. His last game for Sony was apparently 2005's Shadow of the Colossus.

According to GameLife's translation of Kaido's twitter announcement, he hasn't decided where he'll work next. Instead, he's going to continue his summer vacation.

Source: Twitter

Oh vidyagame gods, please don't let this game die.

I swear to all that is good and Mother to us all, if this game dies, my vengeance will be terrible.

I will spare no one.

Not even the children.

I guess he just felt like it was time to Wander off.

It doesn't really surprise me that this game is taking so long. Remember the development team had to change the gender of the protagonist because they were to stupid to avoid up-skirt shots.

DVS BSTrD:
I guess he just wanted to Wander off.

No time for CSI jokes.

This is serious.

I will throw the biggest shit fit and flip many tables if this game dies, and I swear to God I will lose my shit if this happens.

Please don't let this game die.

FalloutJack:

DVS BSTrD:

No time for CSI jokes.

This is serious.

Hey man i'm just trying to lighten the mood, no need to be griefin' on me.

Is this game becoming the next half-life 2 ep 3???

for the love of God when will this game come out? And will it live up to the hype?

Sony just lost one of their biggest and brightest talents. I feel bad for Sony...

And wherever Mister Keido goes, he's gonna make some awesome games. I think it would be funny if he joined Nintendo.

Regardless, Sony is definitely feeling pains here, if they weren't feeling them from their Vita Sales...

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I will throw the biggest shit fit and flip many tables if this game dies, and I swear to God I will lose my shit if this happens.

Team ICO's saddest game ever: The Game that Never Was.

Daystar Clarion:
I swear to all that is good and Mother to us all, if this game dies, my vengeance will be terrible.

I will spare no one.

Not even the children.

What about the Okami producers?

Ooh, challenge!

DVS BSTrD:

FalloutJack:

DVS BSTrD:

No time for CSI jokes.

This is serious.

Fair enough, but that was a groaner, man.

saintdane05:

Daystar Clarion:

I will spare no one.

Not even the children.

What about the Okami producers?

Ooh, challenge!

Fine, I will spare no one.

Except the producers of Okami, the cast of Firefly and The Cheesecake Factory

FalloutJack:

DVS BSTrD:

FalloutJack:

No time for CSI jokes.

This is serious.

Fair enough, but that was a groaner, man.

Well at least now you're groaning about the pun and not the news story.

Wait, is this game a sequel to the Never Ending Story? The one trailer made it look like one.

I hope my great grandson can play The Last Guardian, I'll have him bring me a copy to my gravestone... :P

You know shit has got real when Sony Santa Monica has been brought in to help Team ICO of all people out of 'difficulties'. Sony is pulling all the big guns out here.

I don't even own a PS3 and I want this game to be released. I borrowed my mates PS3 for Ico and SotC and LOVED them both - will be a sad panda if this game never sees the light of day :(

Why must all the ambitious and different games run into so much difficulty :(

It will be a very dark day in gaming if this game gets canned. I loved both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

DVS BSTrD:
I guess he just felt like it was time to Wander off.

It doesn't really surprise me that this game is taking so long. Remember the development team had to change the gender of the protagonist because they were to stupid to avoid up-skirt shots.

Careful. You don't want to pull too much agro in these dark, dark times.

Honestly, at this point, I kind of want the game to die. Not that I don't believe in it's original vision, but I'm afraid of what sort of hack job frankenstein's monster we're going to end up with when it finally releases. Things that have this sort of life in development don't tend to turn out well at all.

I hope thuis guy does not do a Peter Molyneux when he leaves

I was already thinking if the game is meant for me when I saw the few clips of The Last Guardian. But with this Development Hell and NOW THIS happening, I doubt it would be as good as SotC. Time for me to move forward.

Okay which deities do I need to start praying to / make shady deals with to ensure this game comes out.

DVS BSTrD:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

That's not funny bro! :(

I don't want that game, I want the game with the big fluffy bird/dog/thing.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

DVS BSTrD:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

If you don't see no bold text, I ain't joking girl.
I want to play that game to, but not enough to get my heart broken.

DVS BSTrD:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

DVS BSTrD:

If you don't see no bold text, I ain't joking girl.
I want to play that game to, but not enough to get my heart broken.

I think I'm in too deep now, I would need alone time if this gets canned. :(

Goddamnit Gaming Industry.
You DON'T want to see me IF this game dies.

I have a confession to make. I am sad that this game is having trouble seeing the light of day, but with a caveat. I bought Ico and SotC on the PS2, and bought the HD collection the day it came out. Now I like Ico, not as an adventure game but as a puzzle game with some of the greatest atmosphere this side of Portal, but I've never made it past the 5th colossus in 5 attempts to beat SotC.

It's strange , because I want to love this game. I've read every glowing praise, every argument for it's candidacy as prime example of the "Games are Art" argument. But I've never had fun, of felt exhilarated while playing it, or any compelling connection/projection onto Wander. And strangely, I feel bad about it, like I'm playing it wrong or aren't looking at it right or maybe wasn't told about the Kool-Aid being handed out.

Now I know everyone played it already, but

Despite that, I'm hoping to see what kind of atmosphere and art direction that the PS3 makes possible in Team Ico's hands, and just like the first two games, I'd probably buy it on release if it did/does come out. More bad news for the game, almost a clover kind of feeling.

*sighs* damn it all, now I know this is far from a foregone conclusion but it certainly isnt a good sign, actualy made me very sad to think I may never get to adventure with said giant creature who stole my heart in the very first trailers

and yet... *looks at local game charts and sighs even louder* ... modern gaming, I dont understand thee

THIS GAME MUST NOT DIE!

But it probably will, or it will be announced for the PS4.

The GREAT thing about SotC is that it pushed the PS2 to its limits, but that's also the reason why it could get a bit 'laggy' at times.
The Ico/SotC HD Collection fixed this, but still...

I'd like to think this game is going for the same thing.
Pushing the PS3 till it breaks.

Fenra:
*sighs* damn it all, now I know this is far from a foregone conclusion but it certainly isnt a good sign, actualy made me very sad to think I may never get to adventure with said giant creature who stole my heart in the very first trailers

and yet... *looks at local game charts and sighs even louder* ... modern gaming, I dont understand thee

Only the lizards with white tails change your Stamina. You can usually bet there's one around a save-shrine, or located in an area of the map that looks unique.

Daystar Clarion:

I will spare no one.

Not even the children.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

No you won't, just take a breather. You don't have shares in these companies. Just step away from the edge. No need to jump.

But yeah, this game is totally not coming out. It'll be a DNF case where loads of companies will leave their fingerprints, and we'll have a glorious disappointment for the ages.

I'll remind you guys, he was the games producer. The job of the producer is to make sure the game is released in a timely fashion. Given the game has been delayed for three years with no end in sight, I don't think he was very good at his job.

I'm a bit out of the loop.
Why are people so hard on this game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook