Vita Update Ties Memory Cards to PSN Accounts

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony forgot to mention one of Vita firmware update 1.80's features.

Sony has been quick to remind us that Vita firmware update 1.80 makes the handheld compatible with a handful of PSOne Classics; though no one's entirely sure which games have been made compatible. However, Sony's many press releases failed to mention one other feature included in the new firmware: It ties Vita memory cards to specific PSN (or SEN, if you prefer) accounts.

This means gamers with content from multiple accounts will have to either buy another memory card - which start at $19.99 for 4GB - or lose their data. To link a card to another PSN account, you now have to format it.

Before the update, it was possible to switch PSN accounts by "restoring" the system. It was cumbersome, and perhaps unintentional on Sony's part, but it made life easier for players with multiple PSN accounts or families who share a Vita.

Sony's habit of restricting digital content to particular regions doesn't endear the company to gamers with a taste for Japanese titles, or the occasional European exclusive, but it was tolerated because signing up for a Japanese PSN account is trivially easy (though I should point out that falsifying your address breaks PSN's TOS and may be illegal depending on where you live).

This update is either Sony's first attempt to crack down on region-hopping gamers, or a callous attempt to sell more memory cards to a trapped market. Either way, it certainly doesn't make the struggling handheld seem any more appealing.

Source: NeoGAF

It's things like this that are stopping the Vita from selling well, Sony are just digging their own grave at this point.

Another reason to add to the list of "Why I don't buy SONY stuff."

Hmm, what PS1 games are available exactly? *Crosses fingers for Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9*

This is beyond silly this is how you DON'T make an update, Sony better expect anger, because they are going to get it...

This is just what you need for a system that's already in trouble. How very Sony of them.

Ownoes, silly Sony doing the same thing Apple does with their accounts, but b*tching about it because it's Sony and the Vita.

TheMadJack:

Do you buy Nintendo stuff because their DD scheme is the worst one out there.

Well other than Persona 4 Golden, there wasn't really anything enticing me to buy one of these before, but I have no fucking incentive to even consider it now. It still galls me that $19.99 for 4GB of data seems acceptable to someone out there, when Amazon sells 32GB cards for 10.
I still maintain Sony is a great company, but their handhelds just stink, they stink worse than Nintendo's, and that's saying something.

Actually guys, they released a list of PS1 titles a couple of days ago. I'd link it but I'm stuck using my phone, uk.playstation.blog has it somewhere (if that's the right URL)

Yet another reason for me to stay away from the Vita. With the rise of Android and iOS devices as mobile gaming platforms, Sony should be trying to make it's mobile devices more appealing, not less.

The sooner Sony bows out of the handheld market completely, the better off everyone in the world will be.

eugh... i really want to like the vita. i really really want an excuse to buy it, but every time i consider it sony does something which just makes me back away further. why don't you want my money sony?

the current list of the ps1 games are:

The list

The following games will be available to download from the PS Vita Store in Europe from August 29th.

Cool Boarders
Cool Boarders 2
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
CTR: Crash Team Racing
Destruction Derby
Everybody's Golf 2
G-Police
Jet Rider
Jet Rider 2
Jumping Flash
Kula World
Kurushi Final
MediEvil
Motor Toon Grand Prix 2
Rally Cross
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 3
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
WipEout
40 Winks
A Bug's Life
A Bugs Life and Monsters Inc bundle
Abe's Exoddus
Abe's Oddworld Oddysee
Airboat
All-Star Boxing
Arc Arena: Monster Tournament
Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad II
Arc the Lad III
Arcade Hits: Shienryu
Arcade Hits: Sonic Wings Special
Atari Anniversary Edition
Atlantis
Atlantis and Hercules Bundle
Bishi Bashi Special
Blockids
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bugriders
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
Centipede
Cho Aniki
Constructor
Critical Depth
Dezaemon Plus
Disney's Action Game ft. Hercules
Dodgeball
Driver
Eagle One: Harrier Attack
Fear Effect
Fear Effect: Retro Helix
Fighting Force
Fighting Force 2
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Front Mission 3
Gaiaseed
Galaxy Fight
Gex
Gex 3: Deep Under Cover
Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko
Grandia
Gubble
Guilty Gear
Gunship
Hardcore 4X4
International Track & Field
Jigsaw Madness
Judge Dredd
Junior League Soccer PS1
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Lilo & Stitch
Little Mermaid 2
Little Mermaid 2 and Winnie The Pooh bundle
Metal Gear Solid
Mickey's Wild Adventure
Miracle Quad Racer
Miracle Space Race
Missile Command
Monsters Inc
Motorhead
N20
Namco Heritage bundle
Pandemonium
Pandemonium 2
Parasite Eve 2
Peter Pan
Pong
Pooh's Party Game
Rageball
Rainbow Six
Rascal Racers
Rayman
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Reel Fishing
Re-loaded
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Ridge Racer Type 4
Sheep
Silent Hill
Snowboard Racer
Sorcerer's Maze
Spin Jam
Sports Superbike
Streak
Street Fighter 2 Alpha
Super Star Dance Club
Tarzan
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Toy Story 2
Toy Story Racer
Toy Story Racer and Toy Story 2: Woody and Buzz bundle
Vagrant Story
Alundra
Urban Chaos

gee, funny they forgot to mention that. I wonder why

nikki191:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
MediEvil
Abe's Exoddus
Abe's Oddworld Oddysee
Gex
Rayman

I don't give a fuck if I'm playing into Sony's hands. I only have a JPN account tied to my Vita at the moment but I'm gonna buy another memory card because this shit here is my childhood and I'm diving right back into it.

I hate myself for doing it but I don't need an excuse to buy these games over and over again. I think this'll make it 4 times for Rayman 2 and 3 timexs for the Oddworld titles. Though I'll wait for the HD remakes of those.

people are still buying/using the vitamin? honestly thats what surprised me the most. seriously if people wanna play ps1 games on a portable system so bad, just buy an old psp and mod it, it aint that hard. or get a pandora

I really want to like the Vita, I really do. It has shiny hardware and the in-store Vita I played on was really nice. But between the miniscule library, the high entry fee, and policies like this one, I just can't manage it.

K84:
Ownoes, silly Sony doing the same thing Apple does with their accounts, but b*tching about it because it's Sony and the Vita.

Hey, I b*tch about Apple's policies too. Thus my lack of Apple products.

I have been preaching hi and low what is to be expected from the NextGen Consoles, I see Vita as one, concerning DRM.

Here you have it, now... and it won't get better.

VanQQisH:

nikki191:
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
MediEvil
Abe's Exoddus
Abe's Oddworld Oddysee
Gex
Rayman

I don't give a fuck if I'm playing into Sony's hands. I only have a JPN account tied to my Vita at the moment but I'm gonna buy another memory card because this shit here is my childhood and I'm diving right back into it.

I hate myself for doing it but I don't need an excuse to buy these games over and over again. I think this'll make it 4 times for Rayman 2 and 3 timexs for the Oddworld titles. Though I'll wait for the HD remakes of those.

considering i havent bought a sony product since the ps2 im hoping you will get many hours of pleasure from those and please dont blame me for the list if it doesnt work out :D

I'm not saying people are trying to hate on it unnecessarily but I haven't seen a lot of support on many sites for the Vita and with every news story that pops up most comments I see are either "Sony is a money grubbing, horrible company" or "This is why I don't want the Vita!" These are over the top examples but when you read them all it's the feeling you get.

A large amount of complaints seem to be people winging about how what is being offered not being ideal. Thinking that they have been wronged for not getting everything that they feel they should get. "You're giving me a chunk of old games? I want access to everything then!"

My opinion doesn't really matter though; I'm just another idiot with an computer; and anyway people don't like hearing criticism about themselves. But if all news stories like this do is make you annoyed enough to complain, then just ignore them. Think "Oh, another Vita story....what's the next article?...". There's no worries then.

Crono1973:

TheMadJack:

Do you buy Nintendo stuff because their DD scheme is the worst one out there.

I don't buy console or portable stuff period. Whoever makes it, I don't want it. There's always a catch, somewhere.

There is a list of known Vita-compatible PS1 titles in this thread at CheapAss Gamer:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058

Note that many of the titles (as in all but 9) currently have to be transferred from a PS3 to the Vita.

sigh... it's almost like Sony doesn't realize that anti consumer practices are going to make people angry.
It seems almost every update to their products has something to piss someone off.

nikki191:

considering i havent bought a sony product since the ps2 im hoping you will get many hours of pleasure from those and please dont blame me for the list if it doesnt work out :D

To be honest, I've seen the list before on a certain other site that people here tend to overreact to, so I want say it out loud. I just felt the need to comment on the list here after seeing your post.

The Vita is a very good piece of hardware that gets a bad rap because of how badly the western release and months post-release have been handled. I have already gotten many hundreds of hours out of my Vita but that's mostly because I'm one of the people lucky enough to have learned Japanese and that JPN Vita store is literally booming with software.

I'm looking forward to nostalgia'ing all over the place when I get my hands on a copy of Gex: 3D again. I still have my original PSX and all the games in that list AND they all still work. I just want to be able to play Crash Bandicoot and Gex on the go. It's too bad that CTR probably won't support multiplayer but I spent many hours of my youth getting all the platinum relics in that game.

Dr.Susse:
I'm not saying people are trying to hate on it unnecessarily but I haven't seen a lot of support on many sites for the Vita and with every news story that pops up most comments I see are either "Sony is a money grubbing, horrible company" or "This is why I don't want the Vita!" These are over the top examples but when you read them all it's the feeling you get.

A large amount of complaints seem to be people winging about how what is being offered not being ideal. Thinking that they have been wronged for not getting everything that they feel they should get. "You're giving me a chunk of old games? I want access to everything then!"

My opinion doesn't really matter though; I'm just another idiot with an computer; and anyway people don't like hearing criticism about themselves. But if all news stories like this do is make you annoyed enough to complain, then just ignore them. Think "Oh, another Vita story....what's the next article?...". There's no worries then.

It seems to always be the same people too. I'm starting to believe it's just your typical "I can't buy it so I'll complain about every little thing to convince myself I didn't want one in the first place" syndrome.
I also love your avatar. Just wanted to add that in there too.

I'm stumped here, it's not selling super well so they're removing functionality and reasons to buy this thing...

This really seems like a stupid idea.

Oh, so now I know im not going to get one. Thanks Sony, thats $300 more for my weekly intoxication budget.

I know what, screw Vita and 3DS. Ill be rocking Jhoto on my GB Advance for the time being.

Squilookle:
The sooner Sony bows out of the handheld market completely, the better off everyone in the world will be.

That's a calm and reasonable response.

How considerate of you.

I'm not really understanding the hate in this thread. As someone who shares a Vita with her husband, this feature will make using the handheld much more convenient for us. Right now, we're both playing on my PSN profile, because switching profiles by restoring the system is way too inconvenient. I'll gladly buy a $20 memory card so that we can enjoy Vita games on our own profiles.

I do agree that not having an easy way to use multiple PSN profiles on the Vita was the handheld's biggest problem from the start, and the memory cards are overpriced, but I still love the hardware and have no problem buying another memory card to get more out of it.

Grey Carter:

Sony forgot to mention one of Vita firmware update 1.80's features.

Sony has been quick to remind us that Vita firmware update 1.80 makes the handheld compatible with a handful of PSOne Classics; though no one's entirely sure which games have been made compatible. However, Sony's many press releases failed to mention one other feature included in the new firmware: It ties Vita memory cards to specific PSN (or SEN, if you prefer) accounts.

This means gamers with content from multiple accounts will have to either buy another memory card - which start at $19.99 for 4GB - or lose their data. To link a card to another PSN account, you now have to format it.

Before the update, it was possible to switch PSN accounts by "restoring" the system. It was cumbersome, and perhaps unintentional on Sony's part, but it made life easier for players with multiple PSN accounts or families who share a Vita.

Sony's habit of restricting digital content to particular regions doesn't endear the company to gamers with a taste for Japanese titles, or the occasional European exclusive, but it was tolerated because signing up for a Japanese PSN account is trivially easy (though I should point out that falsifying your address breaks PSN's TOS and may be illegal depending on where you live).

This update is either Sony's first attempt to crack down on region-hopping gamers, or a callous attempt to sell more memory cards to a trapped market. Either way, it certainly doesn't make the struggling handheld seem any more appealing.

Source: NeoGAF

My girlfriend and I (as well as my dad and brother in law) all have Vita's. I REALLY don't like your article because it demeans sony and sounds more controversial than it actually is (I never thought I'd accuse the escapist of trying to increase traffic for sales from ads).

Having tried to switch multiple memory cards from multiple Vita's, I know first hand that, since the very beginning a memory card could not be associated with more than one account, and if you tried to switch it, it would ask to reformat. Now what I THINK you're getting at is that Sony closed a little loophole in this process, but by the way your article is written, it makes it sound like Sony broke customer's trust by shutting down a well known feature. It's not a well known feature, those of us who have vita's aren't broken up over it, and it's just a continuation of a policy we've known from the beginning.

It's sickening to me how gaming media seems so completely against the Vita.

What's worse is that the Escapist, one of my favorite gaming magazine's, is beginning to be controlled more by popularity and profits than a rational, intelligent discussion about video games.

Yellow journalism anyone?

EDIT: In hindsight, I think I slightly misunderstood exactly what Sony has done. But still, as some have mentioned, as a Vita player this actually is a work around that is MORE convenient, not less.

And I still am getting sick of the escapists articles and their blatant yellow journalism.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
I'm not really understanding the hate in this thread. As someone who shares a Vita with her husband, this feature will make using the handheld much more convenient for us. Right now, we're both playing on my PSN profile, because switching profiles by restoring the system is way too inconvenient. I'll gladly buy a $20 memory card so that we can enjoy Vita games on our own profiles.

I do agree that not having an easy way to use multiple PSN profiles on the Vita was the handheld's biggest problem from the start, and the memory cards are overpriced, but I still love the hardware and have no problem buying another memory card to get more out of it.

I don't get it either. People who hate on the Vita, a, don't know what they're missing out on, and b, don't have one. It's so sad. the Vita's so good. But media coverage has been overwhelmingly negative and I think that it's scaring off customers.

I will buy a Vita when custom firmware is available for it, until then I will be rocking with my PSP and hundreds of games from the PSP, GBA, GBC, PS1 libraries as well as a few Rougelikes and Doom.

I love the internet.

Share my handheld?

Uhm, no...

GET YOUR OWN!

Also, Sony, thanks for FFVII on the Vita, keep em coming! (Would be nice if we got all the 'oldies' Europe just got)

I like how they don't mention these things as if they won't be discovered in all of five seconds. I mean they are familiar with the internet, aren't they?

Wow it's like Sony are going out of their way to make people not buy the Vita. Seriously, how are they this clueless?

Ugh... y'know, as a piece of hardware, I like the Vita. It's got a great screen, it feels right to hold, the touch screen works feel- I enjoy using it.

Trick is, there's almost no software to use it with. Now you're telling me it's going to be harder to share, too? It's sad. I'm dating an utter Sony fanboy, and even he can't justify buying a Vita- now I can't even lend him mine to try and convince him. (Well, I could, but he cares enough about trophies that he won't want to play on my account.)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here