Pre-Order Borderlands 2 DLC With Season Pass

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pre-Order Borderlands 2 DLC With Season Pass

You don't need to wait for a Game of the Year Edition to get the Borderlands 2 expansions.

The original Borderlands had a lot in its favor, including fun action-oriented gameplay, flexible drop-in drop-out co-op support, and a seamless blend of FPS and RPG elements. On the whole however, one of the biggest contributions to its success was the huge amount of DLC support provided by Gearbox, which allowed the massive Game of the Year Edition to continue to attract new fans well after the game's initial release. 2K Games and Gearbox are well aware of how popular Borderlands DLC can be, so they'll be offering a special deal when Borderlands 2 launches next month: a $29.99 Season Pass that acts as a pre-order for all of the title's upcoming DLC.

The pass will include four unannounced DLC expansions that will receive staggered releases after launch, with the final pack planned for June 2013. Individually, each DLC set would cost $9.99, so you'll save about ten bucks getting the whole set at once. We can also expect 2K and Gearbox to reveal a Game of the Year Edition sometime after June, but given the popularity of the Borderlands franchise, I expect that many fans will not be willing to wait that long to get involved.

The Season Pass will be made available once Borderlands 2 launches, and can be purchased through the PlayStation Network, XBox Live, and Steam for the price mentioned above or for 2400 MS points. Sadly, the pass will not be included in any of the current Borderlands 2 collector's editions, but considering the inordinate amount of swag those already contain, you'll be getting your money's worth either way.

Borderlands 2 and the Season Pass will be available on September 18th, 2012.

So its a DLC preorder.

And its for cheaper than actually buying the DLC when it comes out.

And im failing to see an issue.

gigastar:
So its a DLC preorder.

I'm failing at seeing an issue too, and I that this is just all kinds of awesome.

Seeing how it's Borderlands and Gearbox, I know the DLC will just be fun as hell and be totally worth it.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

gigastar:
So its a DLC preorder.

I'm failing at seeing an issue too, and I that this is just all kinds of awesome.

Seeing how it's Borderlands and Gearbox, I know the DLC will just be fun as hell and be totally worth it.

Yeah.. this is strange..

I feel as if I should be offended by most any DLC practice these days, but for some reason I can't really see anything wrong with this.

Odd...

lancar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Yeah.. this is strange..

I feel as if I should be offended by most any DLC practice these days, but for some reason I can't really see anything wrong with this.

Odd...

I came into here thinking it was gonna be bad news and be very upset, but this isn't the case.

This is just awesome and it's a DLC pre-order that's actually doing a gamer a solid.

I feel weird.

Yeah, well, nah. That's a big bet to take, especially when you consider the quality of the Borderlands (1) DLC packs - they were alright, sure, and nice to have, but not worth buying if they weren't on sale.

I save 10 bucks? Try 20 and we can talk.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Yeah, well, nah. That's a big bet to take, especially when you consider the quality of the Borderlands (1) DLC packs - they were alright, sure, and nice to have, but not worth buying if they weren't on sale.

I save 10 bucks? Try 20 and we can talk.

Same :). I got the original DLCs on a steeeeeeeeeeeeeep discount.

But I bought the most expensive version of Borderlands 2 so they should still be happy ;p.

*tilts head*

why are 'season passes' news suddenly? i've seen several on steam already, even got the one for Darksiders 2 why was there no mention of those?

ether way, its a good idea, saves a little money and you don't have to worry about missing out on content

Fiz_The_Toaster:

lancar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Yeah.. this is strange..

Odd...

I came into here thinking it was gonna be bad news and be very upset, but this isn't the case.

This is just awesome and it's a DLC pre-order that's actually doing a gamer a solid.

I feel weird.

Well, considering you know nothing about the DLC and they could just release the Borderlands equivalent of horse armour (not that they would), it's a big risk you are taking by buying that. Although I suppose if you like 3 of 4 DLC you are still getting them for the same price as if you just bought the 3 you like.

As much as I like the idea of Preordering DLC, I think 25% isn't enough of a discount on a product with absolutely zero details about it known. When I preordered Borderlands 2, I did so in the knowledge that it was a complete game. Since DLC can be anything from 'lulz have three new weapons' to 'Here, have an entire new side campaign' (And of course how big/high quality that campaign is can also vary wildly) I'm staying away from this one. Yes, it's probably going to be good stuff, but with how AAA devs have been acting lately, not taking any chances.

I learned my lesson after the Dungeon Defenders Eternia Shards DLC preorder.

I have no issue with this, but I'll still probably wait for the GOTY. I have student loan payments, rent, and a large backlog of games to go through.

Chairman Miaow:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

lancar:

Yeah.. this is strange..

Odd...

I feel weird.

Well, considering you know nothing about the DLC and they could just release the Borderlands equivalent of horse armour (not that they would), it's a big risk you are taking by buying that. Although I suppose if you like 3 of 4 DLC you are still getting them for the same price as if you just bought the 3 you like.

I know they hinted at more story based DLC like what they did with the first game, so while I know this is a risk, I think it's a risk I'm willing to take considering who is doing this.

For 30 bucks extra, I get all the DLC?

GOTY edition, it is, then!

Chairman Miaow:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

lancar:

Yeah.. this is strange..

Odd...

I feel weird.

You know, if the shit that was released for Blands 1 was anything like that, I probably would agree and say that you might be right.

But it isn't the case with their original DLC. None of those add-ons/expacs were even remotely close to the miniscule add on of horse armor. So I say that the season pass is completely justifiable for fans of the series. I don't call it a risk, I call it a discount.

It's Gearbox for fucks sake, probably one of the few devs out there who don't seem to be 'entirely' out for themselves as of late.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Chairman Miaow:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I feel weird.

I know they hinted at more story based DLC like what they did with the first game, so while I know this is a risk, I think it's a risk I'm willing to take considering who is doing this.

I know, I agree with you, I was just pointing out a possible downside. Although, you pay 49.99 for the original game, 30 for the season pass, or about 39.99 for the GOTY, so I will probably wait.

Chairman Miaow:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Chairman Miaow:

I know, I agree with you, I was just pointing out a possible downside. Although, you pay 49.99 for the original game, 30 for the season pass, or about 39.99 for the GOTY, so I will probably wait.

I don't know if I'm really getting the season pass or not, I mean, it's a really good deal, but I already spent a lot of money on the game since I got the Vault CE.

Still playing with the thought of it.

I think I'll wait for two or three years and pick up the GOTY Edition when it's 75% off on Steam.

I hope they have a LOT of extensions planed =)

I have borderlands 2 pre-ordered (cuz on steam they had a special 4 pack where you get it for 40 bucks each) but I don't pay for DLC in advance (if ever). Sorry gearbox you guys do the work first then come asking for money. I only felt 2/4 DLC from borderlands 1 was worth the money so I might just have to wait for steam sales on your DLC.

Falterfire:
As much as I like the idea of Preordering DLC, I think 25% isn't enough of a discount on a product with absolutely zero details about it known. When I preordered Borderlands 2, I did so in the knowledge that it was a complete game. Since DLC can be anything from 'lulz have three new weapons' to 'Here, have an entire new side campaign' (And of course how big/high quality that campaign is can also vary wildly) I'm staying away from this one. Yes, it's probably going to be good stuff, but with how AAA devs have been acting lately, not taking any chances.

Going off the previous Borderlands DLC packs, you're at least given a new area (and everything that a new area entails), a generous dollop of weapons (given that they're the designer specials, you won't be disappointed by most of them), and perhaps a bunch of new character mod equips that introduce some new strategies. There are also new arenas and challenges introduced. All of this content scales to level.

Your mileage may vary.

So...

Now Gearbox want me to pay ninety bucks instead of sixty?

Uh, no. Screw that.

At best, two of your previous four DLCs for Borderlands were okay. The other two were either utter wastes of time or tests in patience. And even then the two "good" ones were marginally worth it.

The only reason I could justify buying them when I did is because I picked up the GOTY edition for $7.50. Even then, the trouble I had to go through to fix the PC version (and only after looking to the gaming community for patches and fixes as Gearbox felt compelled to abandon the PC version), still made it barely worth the seven fifty.

So no. I won't be paying $90 for your game and hope that your "promises" that the PC version won't suck this time, that the story won't suck this time, and that the DLC will be "totally worth it", hold true.

Sorry. Just not gonna do it.

Hot damn, colour me interested because I'm tickled pink at this announcement.

This is how you should do DLC. We know its coming and we know they are not going to take it out of game content (hopefully). Rewarding fans for purchasing early is a decent marketing idea.

By the sounds of it the staggered releases are going to by quite large (im assuming due to the price). It worries me they are 'unannounced' and could just be horse Armour and the like but this will not bother me if;

1. This DLC is actually being produced in an on-going manor and has not taken up any development time
2. The 'staggered releases' are not just to hide the fact that it was done quickly in the finalization-->shelves gap, (although that's not as bad)
3. The DLC is substantial enough to warrant costing above $30 since this is a 'disscount' on faith
4. The Actual game does not feel lacking in content at launch.
5. The game is actually good and you are not pre-ordering junk DLC for junk game.

On Second thought; This sounds like a perfect advert for the Game of the Year edition.

lancar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

gigastar:
So its a DLC preorder.

Yeah.. this is strange..

Odd...

Probably because you guys enjoyed the DLC at high prices while there are plenty who didn't.

Sorry, but after being screwed over with the Gears of War 3 season pass, I'm a bit hesitant to be excited about this. Not only was some of it on disc, then people got the first bit of content free shortly after for some reason, then it all went on sale 3 months later only to have the game lose support just 8 months after release more or less.

I have more faith in Gearbox then I do in Epic Games, but it still left a sour taste that will keep me cautious to these season passes.

Lunar Templar:
*tilts head*

why are 'season passes' news suddenly? i've seen several on steam already, even got the one for Darksiders 2 why was there no mention of those?

ether way, its a good idea, saves a little money and you don't have to worry about missing out on content

Maybe because a BL2 season pass guarantees what will cumulatively double your game time like the last game. Instead of being a season pass to a wide array of festive pants for your character.

I don't care as long as the game doesn't try to force it on us, and it really is worth it--not just a bunch of different character skins

Falterfire:

I'd say from Gearbox it's worth it, Borderlands by itself was an immensely enjoyable experience, and the DLC only made it even better, there was nothing that felt like it was left out of the game on purpose.

Personally I probably wont get this since all of my money will be going towards the game itself, however if I do scrape together some cash I'll definately look into it. Gearbox is one of my favourite devs after the original Borderlands, and they've proved they can make some quality entertainment

ace_of_something:

Lunar Templar:
*tilts head*

Maybe because a BL2 season pass guarantees what will cumulatively double your game time like the last game. Instead of being a season pass to a wide array of festive pants for your character.

*shrugs* doesn't particularly make it more or less news worth then the others

BBboy20:

lancar:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Yeah.. this is strange..

Odd...

Probably because you guys enjoyed the DLC at high prices while there are plenty who didn't.

Bought the GOTY edition of Borderlands when it was on sale on steam.
I still don't see anything wrong with this.

Listen, I'm as psyched for this game as any other fan of the first, but I'm not doing that, sorry.
Paying for something that doesn't exist yet is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

Wow a lot of negative emotions later on

Look, I'm betting in the two and a half weeks from now when the game launches and they post the seasonal pass option they'll likely name at least the 1st DLC pack or even all four or when to expect it/them. Maybe they'll pull a "Left 4 Dead" return the original 4 to playable or in a competition with you(if they don't already in basic B.L.2)

My point, all the mystery stuff you're concerned about might get answered when it shows up on the stores before you have to buy anything.

If not, Fell free to go wild about how they want money for blind promise.

Edit: If no info on the stores at launch then maybe one of their websites.

will I get a tf2 hat?

Sounds like a sweet deal to me. I already pre-ordered my copy of Borderlands 2 (with a Marcus Bobblehead, sweeeeeeet!), but odds are I'll barely have time to play the game itself, so will have to give the DLC seasonal pass a... pass.

Lotsa cheapskates around these parts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or