NCsoft Shuts Down City of Heroes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sixcess:

edgecult:
Yeah that's sorta bugging me too. If the game is paying for itself and then some.. what's the bother with letting it go on? Chopping it at the neck isn't going to make you any money after all sense it's not draining resources... Are they just that hard up for server space to keep GW 2 going or something that they had to start yanking COH's to make room? I don't know man.. seems like a pointless execution of a decent game for the sake of getting to pull the lever first. (less someone has a better idea why this is what it is)

There's a very unpleasant rumour floating around (and I stress it's a rumour, bordering on a conspiracy theory) that goes something like this...

When NCsoft took over CoH from Cryptic they only had the engine leased for 5 years. Cryptic is now owned by Perfect World Entertainment, a competitor of NCSoft. During negotiations PWE pushed the price of renewing the engine licence up intentionally high to kill CoH, thus removing the game that dominated superhero MMOs and giving Champions Online a possible boost.

assuming that's true .... PWE really is over estimating the general opinion of CO, i played it, its not that good ... and i saw a lot of 'I'm not going to DC' comments yesterday to

A less dramatic interpretation is simply that CoH was relatively big in the western markets but non-existent in the east where NCsoft's interests are focused - literally non-existent since CoH tried and failed to launch in Korea years ago, never going live there at all. From that viewpoint it's no big deal for NCsoft who, it must be stressed, have an awful track record of killing off MMOs - Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners and others...

But if there's any justice the way in which they've done this will do their image in the western markets no good whatsoever. They've basically shut down the development studio in one day. No server mergers to cut costs, no staff reductions to cut costs, no maintenance mode, just Paragon Studios shut down, effective immediately.

yeah, there definitely shooting them selves in the foot here, not just in terms of revenue but customary loyalty, and i for one won't be going near anything else they have, not after this BS. so yeah, i expect to hear about a massive drop in they're profits soon.

The only comparison I can draw is with Star Wars Galaxies, but I think everyone was surprised that SWG lasted as long as it did, whereas CoH seemed strong, with a fanatically loyal player base who had in many cases been there for years. It was the WoW of the superhero MMO genre - the undisputed biggest fish of an admittedly smaller pond.

It's almost inexplicable to me that NCsoft have done this. SWG was killed when LucasArts decided not to renew the licence, but this - unless the PWE theory turns out to be true - this is just incomprehensible to me.

CoH was strong still, the sever i play on had more traffic then I'd ever seen when it was sub only, and i was looking forward to the Bio Armor set, what was up with The Battalion, finishing off the Preatorian Hamidon .... and so on D:

Sixcess:

There's a very unpleasant rumour floating around (and I stress it's a rumour, bordering on a conspiracy theory) that goes something like this...

When NCsoft took over CoH from Cryptic they only had the engine leased for 5 years. Cryptic is now owned by Perfect World Entertainment, a competitor of NCSoft. During negotiations PWE pushed the price of renewing the engine licence up intentionally high to kill CoH, thus removing the game that dominated superhero MMOs and giving Champions Online a possible boost.

Really? I'd heard NCsoft chose to shut down CoH so they'd have more resources to use on Guild Wars 2 (and if that's true my approval of Guild Wars just went from "Seems interesting" to "Please die. Painfully")

Aeshi:

Sixcess:

Really? I'd heard NCsoft chose to shut down CoH so they'd have more resources to use on Guild Wars 2 (and if that's true my approval of Guild Wars just went from "Seems interesting" to "Please die. Painfully")

I've seen that speculation, but personally I doubt it. PS and Anet were entirely separate entities. This seems more like (according to more forum speculation) a quick way to cut a few costs, and somehow that's kind of worse, since it implies total indifference to CoH by the publisher.

Lunar Templar:
assuming that's true .... PWE really is over estimating the general opinion of CO, i played it, its not that good ... and i saw a lot of 'I'm not going to DC' comments yesterday to

I certainly won't be touching DCUO - dreadful game. CO I'm undecided on, but it's not really the genre that I'll miss, it's City.

yeah, there definitely shooting them selves in the foot here, not just in terms of revenue but customary loyalty, and i for one won't be going near anything else they have, not after this BS. so yeah, i expect to hear about a massive drop in they're profits soon.

Same here. After this NCsoft cannot be trusted, it's as simple as that.

Worse though, in many players' eyes, will be the way they've treated the devs. It's clear that they found out about it a matter of hours before the announcement, and regardless of NCsoft's reasons, that's an atrocious way to treat Paragon Studios. No doubt NCsoft will do their usual and try to entice the CoH playerbase to their other games, but I think they'll find that an impossible sell to a lot of players.

CoH was strong still, the sever i play on had more traffic then I'd ever seen when it was sub only, and i was looking forward to the Bio Armor set, what was up with The Battalion, finishing off the Preatorian Hamidon .... and so on D:

I'd taken a break, but with every intention of going back. I'll never be able to do all that I planned in that game now, but I'm rolling at least one more hero, one more villain, for my farewell tour.

snekadid:
I played CoH for 6 months and it was great, the combat system and level up mechanics were far better than WoWs and made combat more fluid. The story was interesting and the party system worked well with the instance system.

PVP was garbage though and there was 0 end game, nothing at all but farming the same types of missions you played leveling up in order to get better upgrades and a couple small raid type missions with pretty much the same loot as the other missions and no one wanted to do them.

The character creation system was the best in any game EVER. I remember spending over an hour making a single character, perfecting every nuance of her costume to something i could say was an awesome retrostyled super villain. There used to be costume contests held by the rich end game players who wanted to help out and sponsor a player started event, Lady Gear<My droid based mastermind> won every contest she ever entered and after the 6th win was invited to a super group[i think thats what a guild was called] and asked to stop entering the contest because it wasn't fair to everyone else. ^_^

There was so much about the game that I loved but I became frustrated by the lack of people that wanted to group at end game due to everyone making a small group and then charging to run other people through the top level missions which i felt cheapened the game. I finally quit after they came out with the feature for players to make their own levels which then immediately became a tool for people to make the highest and easiest missions to farm exp in so they could speed level with little effort. It was the cockroach in my pudding, it instantly repelled me from the game and i never went back though i always though about trying it again when it went free, but i decided i preferred the CoH in my memory to anything that might of changed since it went F2P.

This makes me sad because its one more games that will disappear from the world, it makes me glad that people keep the PSO blue burst servers alive, atleast thats one great mmo that will continue on for atleast alittle while longer. Farewell CoH, despite your limitations and age, you beat the crap out of all super hero mmos that tried to replace you and will stand as a symbol of people caring about their game enough to keep working on it past the time the public went after the next shiny.

I agree with the "Make your own mission" content comment. There should have been some restrictions placed on them. It was a great idea but nobody attempted to actually create something fun. Just used the mission creator to simply farm xp and power level people.

Soon after everyone power leveled their characters, nobody seemed to want to explore the different areas anymore, and soon after the place became a ghost town.

Maybe a consolidation of players onto 1 or 2 servers. The reason I left was because my server's player base had all but died.

It certainly is a sad day for COH. This solidify's my choice of never purchasing anything from NCsoft again.

Sixcess:

Aeshi:

Sixcess:

I've seen that speculation, but personally I doubt it. PS and Anet were entirely separate entities. This seems more like (according to more forum speculation) a quick way to cut a few costs, and somehow that's kind of worse, since it implies total indifference to CoH by the publisher.

i heard that rumor to, it's just as disgusting as the 'its not big in Korea so screw it'

I certainly won't be touching DCUO - dreadful game. CO I'm undecided on, but it's not really the genre that I'll miss, it's City.

agreed, there's a charm to the islands and the city no where else has

Same here. After this NCsoft cannot be trusted, it's as simple as that.

Worse though, in many players' eyes, will be the way they've treated the devs. It's clear that they found out about it a matter of hours before the announcement, and regardless of NCsoft's reasons, that's an atrocious way to treat Paragon Studios. No doubt NCsoft will do their usual and try to entice the CoH playerbase to their other games, but I think they'll find that an impossible sell to a lot of players.

yeah, what they're doing to PS is total bull shit

they're gonna find out the hard way just how much over lap City of Heroes had, when i said a a 'massive drop in profits' i meant all they're games, after all, if the 'old man that was doing just fine' will suddenly get pulled, why stay on Aion? and how many will bail on GW2 out of protest after this?

i don't think they relies the damage they're doing to them selves, but I'll be grinning like Lord Recluse when they find out how many bridges they've burnt

I'd taken a break, but with every intention of going back. I'll never be able to do all that I planned in that game now, but I'm rolling at least one more hero, one more villain, for my farewell tour.

i was a on break due to Darksiders 2, had a few projects in the works to, nothing big just characters i was leveling cause i wanted to try something IO wise, like resurrecting the neigh unkillability of Regen, as a brute, of course ;)

Jobbie:

I agree with the "Make your own mission" content comment. There should have been some restrictions placed on them. It was a great idea but nobody attempted to actually create something fun. Just used the mission creator to simply farm xp and power level people.

Soon after everyone power leveled their characters, nobody seemed to want to explore the different areas anymore, and soon after the place became a ghost town.

Maybe a consolidation of players onto 1 or 2 servers. The reason I left was because my server's player base had all but died.

It certainly is a sad day for COH. This solidify's my choice of never purchasing anything from NCsoft again.

For what it's worth, they did nerf the mission creator, which let to a significant drop in farming (I saw about..1 a week), and the Mission creator became what it was meant to be, a...mission creator. It was an AMAZING roleplay tool. No longer did we have to go out and physically find and save quests/missions that were similar to what we wanted to do, we could just make them. Customize text, even put NPCs in that spouted dialog. It was amazing.

Another thing I liked about it was the sidekick/exemplar system. Are you level 50, and your friend level 1? Just join his team and you will be lowered to 1 (while still retaining the improvements to your powers) and help him work his way through content. Or even invite him to your team, and his character will become level 50 (but only with the powers he's unlocked) and he can help you with yours.

Content wasn't locked behind levels, if wasn't like WoW where when you outlevel a zone, you have no reason to go back. The entire game was one big ecosystem, and you found yourself going into every zone even at the level cap.

Oh City of Heroes. You were my first and favorite MMO. I had many good times in it. It is sad that it will be gone. Good Bye City of Heroes, you will be missed.

All in all, most mmo's don't actually die. UO,EQ,DAOC, all still going even if you may not enjoy what they've done to keep those games alive.

As far as shut down mmo's, you have Galaxies, Tabula Rasa and City of hero's are the big three worthy of note. Yeah things like Auto Assault shut down but you'll excuse me if I don't see a big outcry over it.

Galaxies had a good life, ended because of Lucas Arts license ending rather then anything else and to be honest SOE did as much damage to the name as EA and Bioware is doing to it now.

Tabula Rasa was just ahead of it's time and buggy released and marred in legal goop due to NCSoft v Lord British.

CoH long running game ending for possible engine licensing fee increases to just not a worthwhile profit margin.

Overall the majority of virtual worlds people care about don't tend to die. Even if they do, private servers tend to exist if the fanbase for a game is around.

City of Heroes was nothing more than a character customization screen to me, a pretty good customization screen at that. But then Champions and DCU beat it at that game and DCU even managed to implement gameplay to the formula.

Regardless, it's always a bit sad when any servers go down.
We need some sort of "Museum of Virtual History" that preserves these worlds on eternal servers.

so as to this petition, who was it that thought ten thousand signatures would save an mmo?especially since they've said it IS shutting down, and they fired the whole staff? newsflash, your signatures mean very little because they know exactly how many people are playing at any given time.

"Don't dwell on how or why the game has to go..." otherwise you'll realize that because NC Soft spent so much money on Guild Wars 2, they had to play eenie meenie miney moe to decide which of their subscription games had to go. And instead of getting rid of one of the generic fantasy anime heaven/hell games (of which millions exist), they decided on the superhero one that actually had a unique premise, despite it's old age.

I'm sad about this, as an on/off player for many years. More so because I'm currently in the on-phase of the relationship :-)

I'm really hoping that either the studio, or some enterprising fans get the source code out into the public so it can live on on private servers.

Damn its end of an era. Farewell sweet COH farewell.

The thing is the game was making money. NCSoft just pulled the plug to free up some cash for the next quarter to make things look better on a spreadsheet and pray to god GW2 does well enough to cover the loss of revenue from the profitable product they just axed in the long run.

This isn't about practical business decisions for a company, it's about people in a position of power who made decisions that brought about the financial situation the company is now in shifting the negative consequences of their decisions to others. These people who made the decisions that caused the loss should take responsability for those decisions and get fired. Instead people who did good work turning in a moderate but steady profit for their company are the ones who get fired.

Proper business sense says that the company should keep up the profitable parts of their business, ride out the storm of the next quarter and return even stronger in the next fiscal year when their new product finally starts showing return for their investment. Human nature says "holy shit fellow executives, if these numbers are the same next quarter we'll all get shit-canned. We need to find a way to massage these numbers."

But then again, take a look at the Legal Action section of the Tabula Rasa MMORPG entry in Wikipedia if you really want to know how NCSoft likes to operate. What a bunch of shysters.

If there are any companies out there looking for devs, the people at paragon studios are hands down the best in the business. Last night, even though they had already been fired and sent home, these guys went on to the servers where everyone was moping around, completly devistated. They made an awesome speech to everyone about how great of a fanbase we were, then proceeded to unleash an impromptu event like nothing in the history of MMO's. There were giant robots and monsters and alien ships everywhere, some of them had never even been seen before. They gave us the going away party that NCSoft sure as hell won't.

If I find out these guys were picked up somewhere, I'll buy whatever the next game these guys produce. I know the product will be given 110% by these talented people.

I played this game off and on for most of the time it has been running. I have the DVD collectors edition of CoV as well.

But I do have to admit for the last couple of years I had moved on. And now when my dad still plays it he says that it's just full of power leveling.

It's sad but that might just be nostalgia. Anyway I'll miss it.

DugMachine:
Never played but it always saddens me when any games servers shut down. It's like a world being left behind :(

My sentiments exactly.

This is damn shame and I wish all employees the best.

Loved CoH but it just got so repetitive after awhile. I remember spending most of it running away from high powered mobs though - I kept wanting to explore but would inevitably get caught out by deadly enemies and have to leg it for miles just to escape :(

Does anyone have a source on the Cryptic game engine shenanigans thing? I've been hearing it a lot, but so far, near as I can tell, it's just a rumor.

Anyways, for anyone who wants to jump on board a desperate and, statistically speaking, doomed battle to save Paragon City, this is a thing: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html

Also this: http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

Although I'm not sure how change.org feels about that last one. Personally, it sounds like fun to me even though it's doomed to failure. I don't even know why. Still, it'd be cool if people could help out. I'd appreciate it. You guys would do anything for me, the dude who makes totally unexceptional posts once every three or four months, right?

CoH was my first MMO, sad to see it go

Not surprising. While the Free to play model was well received initially, they very quickly made decisions that affected the sustainability (aka selling power and putting everything, even articles that can be earned in game in the store and removing in game methods of acquiring them) of the game. They also completely ignored development of non subscriber content, which led to a very short lifespan for people not wanting to pay extra every week.

That, combined with getting rid of key development staff prior to the launch (notables include Christopher Bruce aka Back Alley Brawler) and a not terribly well received removal of key in game NPCs at launch caused a lot of old guard players to leave. So while the remaining and the minor influx of new players were paying more, it was only barely able to offset the loss of the number of players. So while the store was bringing a lot more money, the overall income barely was steady.

And yes, I did play. I started with City of Villains when it was separate and have a few characters including an epic. I left the game when I was seeing items that affect the game's balance up on the store and every time I considered going back I read that they did something else that did not sit well for me. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. Prior to the previously noted layoffs, the development team was well liked and were concerned with putting out the best game they could. After the layoffs, they focused on money at all costs, and now we know the costs of it.

That's a damn shame. I'll miss CoH and CoV, seeing as that last one had a Summoner class. For someone who fell in love with Diablo II's Necromancer class, that was a match made in Heaven. It made me love my time spent with that game.

This was also the first MMO (and probably the last), where I actually cared about the story and took the time to read flavor texts that popped up as mission briefings. I tried my hand at a trial WoW account a little while back, and I found out I just couldn't care.

Take my Super hero life away will you? FINE! *Puts on cape and whooshes out into the street*

archabaddon:
The game officially ends on Nov. 30th according to sources. For my wife and I, who were with the game from 2004 up until 2011 or so, it will be the end of an era. We met a lot of good people in Paragon City. We still keep up with quite a few of them out of game.

The news today was sudden and staggering, and I'm at a loss for words, except "Thanks for everything, City of Heroes."

~ Obsidius

Edit: Also, some of us current/former/soon-to-be-former CoH players have made a fleet on Star Trek Online for anyone looking for a new 2nd home: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=373611

I saw coh and for some reason thought company of hero's yes i'm an idiot

This was a great game though I picked it up while on vacation and played it whenever I was bored during the summer and school year for a while dammit I was hoping to come back.

I heard the news and this scene was one of the first things that came to mind. NCsoft just dropped in and slain something wonderful for their selfish needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2Lxe-AUsM

This like the Crisis on infinite servers...only the universe isn't going reboot when it ends.

I'm going to miss City of Heroes. I've been playing MMORPGs since the days of EverQuest, and it was the first one I ever found where I felt like I was doing something more meaningful than camping one spawn of orcs or gnolls, or killing eight rats and skinning them so someone could make a belt. I was fighting crime, damn it. One of my earliest COH memories is taking my first character (a martial arts/regen scrapper) across the rooftops of Kings Row and seeing a group of Circle of Thorns mages performing a human sacrifice on the next building over. I backed up, took a running start, leapt over to the next rooftop...

...and proceeded to lay the RIGHTEOUS FIST OF JUSTICE down on the entire group of about six evil bastards. (That was another thing--you could actually be powerful enough to fight off groups.) When the dust cleared, the NPC they'd been trying to sacrifice ran up to me and thanked me. It was one of the most rewarding MMORPG experiences ever.

COH was also the first game I'd run across where you didn't have to have the Holy Trinity of tank, DPS, and healer. You could get a group of just about any mix of archetypes together and have a blast going through missions. I remember doing the respec trial with that same scrapper grouped with (I think) four or five tankers, and we did great without a single healer among us.

Man, I'm going to miss it.

Haven't played the game in years, but I'm sad to hear about its fate. It was the first MMO I ever played, and is still the home of my favorite character I've ever created and many, many good memories. Farewell, Violent Hippie. This world does not deserve you.

Hey everyone. I don't post on the forums here a lot - barely ever, in fact - but I'd like to join the chorus of those of us that loved, and still do love this game. I have to run to work soon, so for lack of time, I'll just copypaste a post I made earlier on another site.
-------------
On Friday, Paragon Studios, the developers behind City of Heroes and owned by NCsoft have been fired in entirety. It came out of nowhere for everybody, both the players and the devs, especially as there was a lot of content coming down the pipe - heck, I24 was in open beta. The game servers will be closing by November 30th, and possibly sooner, and since the news hit, the playerbase has been... convulsing.

The rumors of why the shutdown came, not to mention so suddenly, are rampant and pretty much impossible to substantiate. Some say that Cryptic refused to continue licensing the game engine, but that theory has been supposedly shot down by Ghost Widow, one of the former Paragon developers. Others say it's because Aion and Guild Wars 2 have been hemorrhaging money and rather than axe one of the bigger failures, NCsoft decided to sacrifice one of the smaller franchises to improve the books as they have done so before, but some players claim that Aion and GW2 have been operating in the black. If the rate of content City of Heroes has been putting out is anything to judge by, it has been operating at a profit, though a smaller one, so it was probably not a matter of cutting losses. And so on.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. None of us, really. It feels like the rug has been pulled out from under our feet and now we're just waiting to hit the ground. There's a few initiatives - an email campaign at Gabe Newell to see if Valve would be willing or able to buy the franchise from NCsoft, a group of players from the Titan Network trying to arrange buying the IP to City of Heroes, an online petition, and so on, but I don't have much hope of any of it having any kind of success. NCsoft itself hasn't made any sort of announcement, indicating that they'd prefer to let this... elimination pass as quietly as possible, which makes sense, as killing a successful game without notice or warning would probably turn into a PR nightmare when it comes their other ones.

So, I don't know. It might be just a matter of spite, but could I ask you to spread the word? If nothing else, then because City of Heroes deserves better than a moonlight burial in the backyard. It was - and still is, until the servers go down - the first and arguably the best superhero MMO to have existed, and it should go out with a bang, or a roar.

Quinch

PS: I guess I should add some links...
http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php - the official announcement by Paragon Studios

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=600 - the general discussion forum

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=295867 - Titan Network's attempt to buy the CoH IP

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4370805 - the thread trying to coordinate the Valve letter-writing campaign

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes# - the online petition to NCsoft to keep City of Heroes going

The Human Torch:
City of Heroes was my first MMO, and my first real experience with a online social network, I had some damn good times in there. I tried revisiting CoH some time ago, but the game barely runs on Windows Vista (got it running once, logged out, tried logging in again, the game crashed and decided never to work again) and won't even work with Windows 7. This game did not age well at all.

um, yes it does work with Wondows 7... I know because i installed the free to play & i'm running the big chunky 64 bit version of Windows 7. So i can personally attest to it working just fine.

....where are people getting their information? There seems to be a lot of people implying that GW2 or Aion are somehow doing so "badly" that NCSoft is killing CoH to help make up for it. Uh, GW2 has been out for one week and it's sold at least a million copies (that's $60 million minimum they've made so far for a game that's only a week old, pretty darn good I'd say), and I doubt it's doing SO badly in that opening week that NCSoft had to rush to cut a game from its roster to compensate.

And Aion's in decline but still above two million. That's a hell of a lot better than CoH was ever doing even at the height of its popularity. CoH never broke 500k subscriptions, and yet people are making it sound like it was some sort of monolith towering over the market.

Face some facts, people. CoH was not a huge game. From a monetary standpoint, it was never as big as Aion and GW2 is likely to pass it pretty quickly. And the idea that they'd cut a game with servers built to handle 100k people so that they can throw the servers into GW2 is just laughable, because there's no way they'd cut a small game just to throw a few extra servers at GW2 when it's clear that GW2 is going to need a lot more than CoH can provide. God, I know you're grieving for your lost game, but some common sense would aid you greatly, folks. -.-;

Lunar Templar:
yeah, what they're doing to PS is total bull shit

they're gonna find out the hard way just how much over lap City of Heroes had, when i said a a 'massive drop in profits' i meant all they're games, after all, if the 'old man that was doing just fine' will suddenly get pulled, why stay on Aion? and how many will bail on GW2 out of protest after this?

i don't think they relies the damage they're doing to them selves, but I'll be grinning like Lord Recluse when they find out how many bridges they've burnt

Uh, what? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

City of Heroes was nearing the 100k subscription mark around a year or two ago, and at its highest point was closer to 200k subscriptions total. Aion has somewhere around 2 million people at the moment (and was higher when it released), and GW2 is apparently selling so well that ArenaNet has been forced to stop selling the game via digital format because the servers are getting flooded with too many players (and though sales figures aren't known for sure yet since the game is only a week old, pre-purchase/pre-order figures broke 1 million IIRC).

In other words, City of Heroes was never on the same playing field as Aion or GW2, in terms of sales figures or otherwise. The overlap is not nearly significant enough to be a cause of concern. Even if every single one of those 100k people boycotted both games (and I wish you good luck in organizing that boycott), that would barely dent the figures on both games. >_>

quinch:
Others say it's because Aion and Guild Wars 2 have been hemorrhaging money and rather than axe one of the bigger failures, NCsoft decided to sacrifice one of the smaller franchises to improve the books as they have done so before, but some players claim that Aion and GW2 have been operating in the black. If the rate of content City of Heroes has been putting out is anything to judge by, it has been operating at a profit, though a smaller one, so it was probably not a matter of cutting losses. And so on.

....that rumor doesn't make any sense. Aion's been in steady decline, true, but it's still over 2 million in subscriptions last I heard. City of Heroes has settled in at below 100k. Which one do you think is the more likely to get axed with those numbers? >_>

And GW2 is only a week old. How the hell could it be "hemorrhaging money" when it has no subscriptions and hasn't been out long enough to determine the likely upkeep costs that will be needed for the game? Plus, it's broken a million pre-order/pre-purchase sales, and ANet has apparently reported that the game saw 400k concurrent users during the headstart period (nearly 4 times the current subscription count of CoH, and nearly twice the absolute highest recorded subscription count of CoH)....I admit I find it hard to believe that a game which has made a minimum of $60 million dollars before it's even been released is coughing up money all that rapidly.

Ken Sapp:

CriticKitten:

I know it sucks that a game you've loved for years is ending, but especially with MMOs, this sort of thing happens. You shouldn't let it ruin your chances of playing another good game.

The MMOs that keep going are surprising to me. Gamers tend to be a fickle lot, moving on to the next big thing fairly regularly, although games manage to buck that trend. It is surprising to me that Ultima Online (the first MMO as we know them today) and Everquest are still going as subscription based MMOs last I checked.

They're alive in a very meager sense, though. Both of those games are around the 100k mark now last I heard. So yeah, still going, but probably because the cost of upkeep for such an outdated game is stupidly low.

oppp7:
God damn, how many of NCSoft's MMOs have been shut down so far? I think it's like 5 now: Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Exsteel, Dungeon Runners... and according to Wikipedia there are 2 others. Don't they realize how much of a turnoff that is when dealing with huge investments of time like MMOs?

I was in both City of Heroes and Auto Assault betas, and the problem is they make great games but don't like to back them. Auto Assault was one of my favorite games, as me and friends all played it and liked near everything about it (save one hilarious glitch where you could accidentally make a shield of homing missiles around your car by spinning the mouse in a circle that allowed you to ram someone for infinite damage).

So long Mr. Visible, may you flash power into that dark night..

Problem was that the best part about the game was the character creations.
And the character creation was amazing. Utterly beating any other Superhero MMOs.

Will be missed. DC Universe doesn't even touch it for character customisation.

edgecult:

GenGenners:

Pipotchi:
I dont understand this, I dont play it but if it's still profitable why shut it down?

As long as its adding to the bottom line then surely its a positive as well as its supporting staff, jobs etc

Actually, yeah, this.
If a game is making enough money to support itself, there is virtually no justifiable reason to shut it down.

Yeah that's sorta bugging me too. If the game is paying for itself and then some.. what's the bother with letting it go on? Chopping it at the neck isn't going to make you any money after all sense it's not draining resources... Are they just that hard up for server space to keep GW 2 going or something that they had to start yanking COH's to make room? I don't know man.. seems like a pointless execution of a decent game for the sake of getting to pull the lever first. (less someone has a better idea why this is what it is)

There is one resource it's draining: Manpower. People spending time on CoH aren't spending time on other, more profitble projects.

That's the only reason I can think of.

Pipotchi:
I dont understand this, I dont play it but if it's still profitable why shut it down?

As long as its adding to the bottom line then surely its a positive as well as its supporting staff, jobs etc

Well that's the question, isn't it. Is it actually profitable? As the article says, sales of the game have been relatively constant over the last year. However, if you look at actual revenue, shown on page 7 of the report, overall income has dropped fairly constantly over the years, and it wasn't exactly a big money maker to start with. So it's quite possible that it actually isn't profitable at all. And if you look at page 12, you can see that overall profits have plummeted over the last year, to the point that the last quarter was a big loss and 2012 as a whole barely broke even.

So really, it's not all that surprising. A company that's been making much less money recently and has a couple of big releases coming up decides to get rid of an old property that is certainly trending towards making a loss soon, even if it's not got there quite yet.

Kahani:
So really, it's not all that surprising. A company that's been making much less money recently and has a couple of big releases coming up decides to get rid of an old property that is certainly trending towards making a loss soon, even if it's not got there quite yet.

What you say is sound, in theory, but there are several reasons why this has taken people by surprise.

Mainly how sudden it was. A new powerset was released last week, beta testing on the next major update was in process, and then on Friday, with no warning at all, the studio is shut down and the game's closing announced. Noone, not even the dev team, saw this coming.

Secondly, the game wasn't making a loss. Not yet. Seasoned MMO watchers are used to seeing warning signs - studios cut staff, servers are merged, the pace of updates slows or even stops. None of that happened. The game went from active ongoing development to dead in a day.

Finally, relatively few MMOs actually shut down, and those that do tend to do so within a year or two at most. Even games percieved as mega-flops like Warhammer Online are still trundling along, not to mention relics like Everquest, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online...

The closest comparison is SWG, and that was killed by LucasArts deciding not to renew the licence. There is simply no precedent for a game as long lasting and established as CoH to be killed off. Not like this.

To put it a different way, if, 7 days ago, you'd asked the MMO community to run a 'dead pool' on which superhero MMO was the most likely to be axed within the next 12 months, I reckon Champions Online and DCUO would both have been regarded as more likely candidates for shutdown than CoH.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here