Watch the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Gameplay Video

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Watch the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Gameplay Video

Snake slithers back on the scene in a 10 minute showcase of the Fox Engine.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes was announced not too long ago by Hideo Kojima at his first ever PAX presentation, and game journalists offered gushing responses to the demonstration. A 10 minute gameplay video is now available, showing the Fox Engine powering the next instalment in the Metal Gear franchise.

The video features disguised Fox soldiers, an imprisoned boy with a headphone jack in his chest (possibly Raiden in his child-soldier days?), a reference to a double-agent who is threatening to blow the lid on some kind of hidden agenda, and a grizzled, grey-haired Snake who stares straight at the fourth wall to say, "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Kojima said that the game would be a "completely open world", allowing the player to commandeer vehicles, call in attack choppers, and travel to other countries to complete alternative missions. He labeled Ground Zeroes as a "prologue", suggesting that this game's Snake may be Big Boss.

Kojima insisted that the PAX demonstration was not a tech demo, and that it was running the Fox Engine in real-time on a PC comparable to a PlayStation 3. He also explained the engine's creation, saying that while there were plenty of quality game engines available to use, Kojima Productions would rather "get in there and tweak things ourselves". In doing so, they are hoping to make their development more efficient in terms of making the engine cross platform compatible and ready for cloud-based tech.

There were suggestions that the engine could also be used to produce first-person shooters, Uncharted-style adventure games, or open world games - "a Silent Hill, possibly".

Source: Polygon

Aaaaah, so I see that this is what Kojima has been actually working on while letting the Metal Gear Rising team do nothing for 2 years.

That snake pretty much HAS to be Big Boss considering...

It'll be interesting to see the differences between Old Boss-snake and Old Solid Snake. He certainly didn't seem nearly as brittle as Old Solid was.

One of the interesting tidbits not mentioned either, was that you can select the music that plays when you have a helicopter coming to extract you. Yet, how loud that music is also determines how aware the enemy might become of you during said extraction. So... might want to think twice before you load up some metal into your choppers playlist!

AzrealMaximillion:
Aaaaah, so I see that this is what Kojima has been actually working on while letting the Metal Gear Rising team do nothing for 2 years.

Yep, because its totally Kojima working on Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance, and nooooooot Platinum games. Yeah. Platinum has definitely been doing nothing at all with the game. No sir.

Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.

cursedseishi:

It'll be interesting to see the differences between Old Boss-snake and Old Solid Snake. He certainly didn't seem nearly as brittle as Old Solid was.

One of the interesting tidbits not mentioned either, was that you can select the music that plays when you have a helicopter coming to extract you. Yet, how loud that music is also determines how aware the enemy might become of you during said extraction. So... might want to think twice before you load up some metal into your choppers playlist!

AzrealMaximillion:

Yep, because its totally Kojima working on Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance, and nooooooot Platinum games. Yeah. Platinum has definitely been doing nothing at all with the game. No sir.

Ummm Platimun Games picked up MG Rising after is was very close to cancelling it. And to be honest from the trailers we've seen they haven't really changed the game at all. it still looks like the Afro Samurai game's combat mechanics skinned with MGS4.

Will be interesting to see just how many corners will have to be cut to make it for the 360.
No offence intended to the 360 crowd, but christ, THAT will not run as a full game on a 360,. Not to that level. As a tech demo yeah, but a full open world game? No way.

AzrealMaximillion:

cursedseishi:

AzrealMaximillion:

Ummm Platimun Games picked up MG Rising after is was very close to cancelling it. And to be honest from the trailers we've seen they haven't really changed the game at all. it still looks like the Afro Samurai game's combat mechanics skinned with MGS4.

You mean aside from what looks to be a completely different game engine? The pre- and post-Platinum Games trailers look quite different.

Rednog:
Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.

Pc games are much easier to pirate, i believe....
That or maybe the control scheme just isn't suited for the Pc...
Who knows.

l3o2828:

Rednog:

Who knows.

Are you CliffyB?
Yea people pirate shit, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, it doesn't mean there aren't paying customers out there. People pirate on consoles, and despite numbers for popular games reaching millions in console pirated downloads they still release games for them without a second thought.
Really controls aren't suited for PC? It's a freaking 3rd person shooter not a twin stick shooter, and considering this is actually a freaking gameplay demo they freaking already figured it out.
Also, you're talking about a platform that has the biggest choice of control options.

Rednog:

l3o2828:

Rednog:

Who knows.

Are you CliffyB?
Yea people pirate shit, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, it doesn't mean there aren't paying customers out there. People pirate on consoles, and despite numbers for popular games reaching millions in console pirated downloads they still release games for them without a second thought.
Really controls aren't suited for PC? It's a freaking 3rd person shooter not a twin stick shooter, and considering this is actually a freaking gameplay demo they freaking already figured it out.
Also, you're talking about a platform that has the biggest choice of control options.

I completly agree with you.
What i was trying to do there was think from the side of the Developers, Publishers and general AAA behaviour.

Looks INCREDIBLE. Too bad i don't own a PS3. but, should it be out for XBOX360, i'll definitely buy it ASAP.

So this is a sequel to Peace Walker...

Also if the game manages to stay that pretty on the PS3 then it would make for a great swan song when the time comes to to pass the baton to its successor.

uchytjes:
Looks INCREDIBLE. Too bad i don't own a PS3. but, should it be out for XBOX360, i'll definitely buy it ASAP.

It's coming out for 360, so says the logo at the end of the trailer.

That... was impressive.

And I like how you call it a gameplay video when most of it is an in-game cutscene. 'Tis true for a real MGS game, I suppose. XD

Still, it looks nice and I can't wait to see more info released.

looks pretty. ill never play it but it looks pretty

I love how the UBER NERD developers go on about the graphics! Most of the comments here are just ecstatic that snake, or possibly Big Boss is back in the picture.

But c'mon now! MGS... GZ will flounder in a bloaded plot-arc!!

MGS4 had about 4 hrs of gameplay and 3 hrs of movies. Konami can dress GZ with their gorgeous Fox Engine, but it won't solve the endless dribble going on in their overly complicated cutscenes -- guaranteed now that Kojima is back.
And I swear, like those graphics will show anything off. Snake only uses silencers, M4's and Ak's, not lightning bolts, fire or spectacular creativity to wow us. For a sci-fi, Kojima has never had a lot of vision in the game-play department. At least Reavengeance puts combat first.

At least we can count on Kojima's Fruedian fantasies. Oh, I'm sure they'll play plenty of attention to highlighting the supple curves and nude lines of what ever female side star they bring in, like the Transformers series.

And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.

DEVELOPERS ARE MAKING GAMES FOR CONSOLES. That should be enough for us consumers to take a hint -- that the PC will always get the hand-me down, lesser-man's, younger brother's port. Unless of course, you play an online MMO, then you're life's already screwed.

l3o2828:

Rednog:

Who knows.

Practically every PC gamer these days uses the 360 controller when appropriate, so control scheme isn't an issue.

Rednog:

Apparently it will be for PC

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366056/confirmed-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-current-gen-set-for-ps3-xbox-360-and-pc/

But who knows, I recall them saying that Rising was supposed to be PC.

worldfest:
And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.

DEVELOPERS ARE MAKING GAMES FOR CONSOLES. That should be enough for us consumers to take a hint -- that the PC will always get the hand-me down, lesser-man's, younger brother's port. Unless of course, you play an online MMO, then you're life's already screwed.

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not.

Either way, people are probably going to get annoyed at you.

~9 Min of cut scene and 30 seconds of gameplay.... that ratio sounds about right...

11-minute "gameplay video."

9:30 minutes of cutscene.

Less than one minute of gameplay.

Yep, this is MGS alright.

EDIT: Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere.

Zhukov:
11-minute "gameplay video."

9:30 minutes of cutscene.

Less than one minute of gameplay.

Yep, this is MGS alright.

EDIT: Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere.

Ninja, please. That joke's pretty obvious for a Metal Gear title.

OP: I look forward to seeing more of this. Also, I'm guessing it's time I finally play Peace Walker.

Zhukov:

worldfest:

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not.

Either way, people are probably going to get annoyed at you.

Thanks for understanding the gist of my argument about Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zero-zzzzz. I'm glad you thought I was right! He really does look like Big Boss. Of course, I will concede that some cutscenes were alright.

...sarcasm.

But seeing as how PC gamers are the most Tolerant, Educated, and Superior Patriarchs of gaming, my lowly muckraking comments should fly right below their radar.

But seriously, I was being serious. And if we don't slap down those PC gamers (figuratively speaking) every time a console game is announced (let alone hyped with a short video), then they'll unleash a torrent of threads wining about how unfair the industry is toward them and in its direction as a whole. As if no one in digital media likes making $.

After that, real gaming critics and journalists have to waste their hours writing articles about the obvious changing conditions in video games instead of why SquareEnix hasn't a clue what to do in selling Final Fantasy to western audiences.

Ripple effect.

Waaghpowa:

Rednog:

Apparently it will be for PC

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366056/confirmed-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-current-gen-set-for-ps3-xbox-360-and-pc/

But who knows, I recall them saying that Rising was supposed to be PC.

I can't wait to play this on PC. It looks like it will be pretty good.

worldfest:

worldfest:

But seeing as how PC gamers are the most Tolerant, Educated, and Superior Patriarchs of gaming, my lowly muckraking comments should fly right below their radar.

But seriously, I was being serious. And if we don't slap down those PC gamers (figuratively speaking) every time a console game is announced (let alone hyped with a short video), then they'll unleash a torrent of threads wining about how unfair the industry is toward them and in its direction as a whole. As if no one in digital media likes making $.

After that, real gaming critics and journalists have to waste their hours writing articles about the obvious changing conditions in video games instead of why SquareEnix hasn't a clue what to do in selling Final Fantasy to western audiences.

Ripple effect.

I don't know where to start here.
Ok right off the bat, what's wrong with the PC gamer comments here? They're saying they wish the game was on PC, why does that offend you?
Another thing. You are not helping matters by being a complete asshole and insulting people. No, "serious" gamers don't buy consoles exclusively, "serious" gamers buy whatever the fuck they want and don't care what anyone thinks.
Being a console fanboy and completely ignoring the PC as a system does nothing for your argument. It just shows that you are ignorant and have nothing to defend your view other than your bias towards PC gamers.
I have consoles and a PC and I can tell you that objectively the PC has a number of advantages over consoles, and VICE VERSA. For one, a massive number of exclusive games. So no, consoles aren't the only way for "serious" gamers to play.
Look man, just stop being so ignorant please. You clearly now absolutely nothing about PC gaming, but just simply realize that PC gaming is a viable way to play video games, and many people prefer it for its numerous advantages.
And your scenario is ridiculous, you imply that developers spend so much time writing articles about why they don't cater to PC gaming that they lose out development time on games? As if they don't have fucking PR departments, or as if it doesn't take 5 seconds to write a paragraph to explain why they don't want to work on PC? You're being majorly hyperbolic here and creating a false problem.
PC gamers are allowed to be upset that certain console games are not going to be on their system, just as console gamers are allowed to do the opposite. This shouldn't upset you like it does.

And don't go looking to bait people into flamewars like you have here, it's impolite and childish. I get it, you don't like PC gamers, but don't let that get in the way of common sense here.

I've never played a metal gear game. Now i want to.

It's a shame that Hideo makes game plots equal to 'fuck all' sense and seriousness.

I've been wanting to be a fan of Metal Gear Solid for a long time. But then they add the shaking twister rundown at gun point crap that leads to insane silly plot progress that just makes my balls shrivel.

Fuck that noise.

Splinter Cell Hollywood games win for me.

I wonder whats the significance of that child. He kinda looks like Snake, BUT most likely, I think it's Chico from Peacewalker.

By the way people, there's an 14 minute EXTENDED version video on IGN, it's only by 3-4 minutes or so, but it's still worth a look. :)

http://au.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-extended-14-minute-demo

Bat Vader:
I can't wait to play this on PC. It looks like it will be pretty good.

It's probably too much to hope for, but I'd be happy if they could make it fairly well optimized and use DX11 features. But, you know, Japanese PC games >.>

Where the hell is gameplay? I want my money back.

Yeah it looked pretty but was uninteresting overall. Guess you have to had played the previous games to get something from it.

sethisjimmy:

worldfest:

worldfest:

Ripple effect.

I don't know where to start here.
Ok right off the bat, what's wrong with the PC gamer comments here? They're saying they wish the game was on PC, why does that offend you?
Another thing. You are not helping matters by being a complete asshole and insulting people. No, "serious" gamers don't buy consoles exclusively, "serious" gamers buy whatever the fuck they want and don't care what anyone thinks.
Being a console fanboy and completely ignoring the PC as a system does nothing for your argument. It just shows that you are ignorant and have nothing to defend your view other than your bias towards PC gamers.
I have consoles and a PC and I can tell you that objectively the PC has a number of advantages over consoles, and VICE VERSA. For one, a massive number of exclusive games. So no, consoles aren't the only way for "serious" gamers to play.
Look man, just stop being so ignorant please. You clearly now absolutely nothing about PC gaming, but just simply realize that PC gaming is a viable way to play video games, and many people prefer it for its numerous advantages.
And your scenario is ridiculous, you imply that developers spend so much time writing articles about why they don't cater to PC gaming that they lose out development time on games? As if they don't have fucking PR departments, or as if it doesn't take 5 seconds to write a paragraph to explain why they don't want to work on PC? You're being majorly hyperbolic here and creating a false problem.
PC gamers are allowed to be upset that certain console games are not going to be on their system, just as console gamers are allowed to do the opposite. This shouldn't upset you like it does.

And don't go looking to bait people into flamewars like you have here, it's impolite and childish. I get it, you don't like PC gamers, but don't let that get in the way of common sense here.

PC. Buy Cheap games. Mod your games. Lose your soul in Online MMORPG. What more, the constant investment of upgrades has those pour souls believing video games should be a higher priority in their lives than say, real friends, and meeting friends who don't play games.

And it's a telling sign what we've heard about with Dark Souls -- how developers just do not give a damn about PC's; how the poor geniuses have to develop code to fix the problems (resolution for one) instead of putting those resources to the greater use of mankind. Same for the modded layouts and armor of Skyrim. But there's one less amateur I'm competing with for all of those successful college graduate ladies, especially as they outnumber men these days. Oh well, greater choice for me.

For one thing, and even if you are Majoring in Computer Science: You don't want to sit any longer at a PC than you should, or that icky aura -- and one I've seen up close and personal when I worked at a tech lab on campus -- clings to you. It's unavoidable, because it's isolation.

That poor girl... anyways.

In conclusion: It's something to immerse yourself in games, and it's another matter to lose your life in it. Consoles give you the former as an option. PC urges you dive into the bottomless pit of mod-world, forums and sad, sad live chat rooms. Just freaking look at how Online Developers are targeting PC gamers! Free to play. Invest more and more and you'll make the necessary adjustments in believing the game means more and more to you with every $ you pour.

And you read the rest of my earlier comments wrong. It's not even worth getting into. Someone just opened up a whole new thread dedicated to this topic anyhow, and it already has 59 replies. Take your bandwagon there. My PC comment was only an aside to the reservations I was having about MGS: Ground Zero-zzzz. Worse thing you can do for a console game is think about the troubles of PC port -- you have less control and money, and more headaches and risk. Yeah, that's great for business.

Lets set something straight.
Kojima has stated that he wants a Metal Gear game to be on PC. During interviews about the Fox Engine, he has said the engine will be for games on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The current build is running on a PC.
Ground Zeroes will be on PC. Kojima wants it, and its more than likely.
Can we stop arguing now...
I'm seriously getting ticked with all this anti PC gaming shit.

It's one thing to defend your preferred platform, but you can't just discredit another because of some ignorant, uninformed garbage you've concocted. As in this guy:

worldfest:
snip

And as for you buddy. I don't care that you feel some compulsion to shit on someone else's method of gaming. You are misinformed, and downright wrong. PC gaming exists, deal with it bub. Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes.
Console gamers complain just as much when a PC exclusive comes along. Trust me, I get it first hand, being one of the only PC gamers in my area.
Developers are making games. Period. They make games to appeal to a wide audience. The platform is decided by publishing connections and development experience.
'Serious gamers' don't buy consoles. 'Serious gamers' buy what ever they can, and whatever they want.
Also, not many upgrade their computers yearly. They buy a decient computer, replacing one or two parts every other year. Their computer lasts years, and has the capabilities to get better. Consoles can't get better. A PS3 is always a PS3. Is that a bad thing? Fuck no. But neither is upgrading a computer.

If you can't tell, I'm angry. In attempting to find out of GZ was actually coming to PC, I stumbled across an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, in which the author claimed "My feeling is that PC gaming is dead, and that no one should attempt to launch games on the platform, for any reason."
This coupled with you being an asshole and shitting on My preferred platform sent me into a fit of rage. Hence the rant.
I don't mean to start or perpetuate a flame war. You've just made me angry.

Though this will mean very little to you, because as we all know...
No matter how good at chess I am, the pigeon will just knock over the pieces, shit all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

Stainlesssteele4:
Lets set something straight.
Kojima has stated that he wants a Metal Gear game to be on PC. During interviews about the Fox Engine, he has said the engine will be for games on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. The current build is running on a PC.
Ground Zeroes will be on PC. Kojima wants it, and its more than likely.
Can we stop arguing now...
I'm seriously getting ticked with all this anti PC gaming shit.

It's one thing to defend your preferred platform, but you can't just discredit another because of some ignorant, uninformed garbage you've concocted. As in this guy:

worldfest:
snip

And as for you buddy. I don't care that you feel some compulsion to shit on someone else's method of gaming. You are misinformed, and downright wrong. PC gaming exists, deal with it bub. Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes.
Console gamers complain just as much when a PC exclusive comes along. Trust me, I get it first hand, being one of the only PC gamers in my area.
Developers are making games. Period. They make games to appeal to a wide audience. The platform is decided by publishing connections and development experience.
'Serious gamers' don't buy consoles. 'Serious gamers' buy what ever they can, and whatever they want.
Also, not many upgrade their computers yearly. They buy a decient computer, replacing one or two parts every other year. Their computer lasts years, and has the capabilities to get better. Consoles can't get better. A PS3 is always a PS3. Is that a bad thing? Fuck no. But neither is upgrading a computer.

If you can't tell, I'm angry. In attempting to find out of GZ was actually coming to PC, I stumbled across an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, in which the author claimed "My feeling is that PC gaming is dead, and that no one should attempt to launch games on the platform, for any reason."
This coupled with you being an asshole and shitting on My preferred platform sent me into a fit of rage. Hence the rant.
I don't mean to start or perpetuate a flame war. You've just made me angry.

Though this will mean very little to you, because as we all know...
No matter how good at chess I am, the pigeon will just knock over the pieces, shit all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

There's a lot of things to get angry about; I'm sure the longer you live (heck, I'm twenty-two) the more you'll broaden your horizons and realize just how much is at stake in other more pressing areas -- i.e globalization, politics, economics, your future love life (and that's a big "if" -- oh!). Soon video games will be just what they were meant to be to us, a pass time. But enough about you.

I've been around the net long enough to know that promises with promotional material almost never come to complete fruition. PC MGS? Hmm. And why not? Assassin's Creed III is doing it? Watchdogs? Bioshock Infinite. But it's like Nintendo being relevant because their WII-U can actually play HD PS3 and Xbox capacity games, but all of the ports I've seen have been second rate. PC gamers take a risk with big budget games, that's all. It's unnecessary.

Upgrade a few parts?

I've had my PS3 for about 3 years now. Didn't have to install a blue-ray player, it plays em' already. Didn't need a bigger hard drive. Didn't need a new GPU or CPU swap. I haven't added a damn thing to it. It's a media entertainment modem in the family room.

If it's anything like my PS2, I'll have it in working condition for another 7 seven years before anything needs replacing. My family went through two computers in that time, and the $500 machine in my room couldn't even hope to pull out a medium settings on Crysis.

That said, when my music career gets started; I'll needed to buy a new PC, upgrade the hell out of it to use the $600+ of software for the business, which actually means I'll probably be playing games on PC as well -- not! Are you kidding me! Not with my own plans. People today get comfortable in mediocrity; they hate change and exploration as much as they fear true happiness, which is to give more to this world than to virtual space -- i.e nothingness.

I have no idea where I'll be next month, the same couldn't be said for millions of WOW players. The PC gamer is being stapled with a stigma in the same way console gamers were, only one has improved with innovation and vision by invading the main living room space.

And if someone plays games on a laptop while going out, and like I saw many times at the tech lab, then they're missing out on the world around them -- and that's a shame. Maybe not to you, because there is no real wrong or right when it comes to how people decide how to live, only what makes us happy -- wait, not happy, but comfortable, and which streamlines a limited horizon. That is a life with out risk, and that's ignorance.

If you really think about it, this argument is broader than PC vs Console because of what each is selling. There's a culture in each. Where do they lead?

GenGenners:
Will be interesting to see just how many corners will have to be cut to make it for the 360.
No offence intended to the 360 crowd, but christ, THAT will not run as a full game on a 360,. Not to that level. As a tech demo yeah, but a full open world game? No way.

probably have 4 discs with an inside joke about going back in time to disc swapping just like the joke in MGS4 about not needing to change discs in Shadow Moses. LoL

So the final game will have 15 hours of unskippable cut-scenes, and feature half an hour of gameplay? Yeah that sounds familiar.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here