Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

vivaldiscool:
Not to denigrate the reality of what happened, what the security guard did was completely unprofessional, but the article makes it seem like she approached the guard quite some time later. In a convention of thousands there likely really was nothing to be done.

Also, while groping is legally considered a degree of sexual assault, it's only a misdemeanor; the fact that the ultimate cumulation of the crime was just her saying "No thanks" and walking away makes me think it's simply a case of some sexually frustrated nerd getting drunk and behaving inappropriately. Reprehensible and worthy of being brought to authorities? Sure. But this is not some unspeakably awful crime or something that should cause scarring unless she either already had some associated baggage.

My thoughts exactly.

Put yourself in her shoes, juxtapose the gender of the offender if you wish, and how would you feel? It sucks that the security guard blew it off, and it'd definitely mess with your head, but it doesn't say anything about you, it's all on him.

Honestly doing anything right now is pointless and won't do a thing.
Drunk girl tells a security guard that some dude did sexual assault after the suspect left without any proof, witnesses or even a good description of the suspect.

Yep, blaming the security guard for not doing anything to a person who left already and with a description that matches dozens of people on the party is the right thing to do.

60 People drowned in Turkey yesterday, half of which were children.

Just to put this in perspective.

Rainboq:

charge52:

Rainboq:
The guard could have sealed it, called the party to a halt and had the men form a lineup and have her pick out the guy, or seal the place and call the police. Doing nothing was the absolutely worst thing he could have done.

And not a bad person, just someone with terrible taste.

You do realize that a security guard does not have the authority to seal Pax for any reason other than murder or terrorist actions right? Even then the only people who really can seal the place is the police. As stated before in the thread, quite a bit of time had passed since the incident, her and her friends were intoxicated, and there was absolutely no evidence. The guard could not do anything, at all. At best he could have told her to file a police report because he didn't have the authority to do anything.

It was not at PAX. It was a private party hosted by Mojang, and "We had a sexual assault, so shut up" seems like a good reason to seal the place.

Hahahah no.

You cant just hold everyone because one guy supposedly did something.

Guess you have never heard of false arrest?

Because you have no idea about the issue allow me to explain. As a Security Officer, when you make someone unable to leave you are holding them against their will and are then subject to a false arrest, there is a reason why we take a roughly 6 hour course (atleast for my company) where we listen and take a test on when you can and can not detain someone, and detaining a whole building full of people because ONE person MAY have committed an offence will just pile the lawsuits up against you.

Not to mention the various laws you would break by trying to do that lineup thing. You and the company you work for would be broke even with event insurance after that night.

The Escapist PC-brigade is pretty much out of control at this point, isn't it.

Oh no oh no.. LOOK AT ALL THE MISOGYNY, it's UNBEARABLE!! :( :( :(

Overusedname:
That security guard should be the first to be prosecuted, honestly.

"if a women made a guy touch her boob, he wouldn't complain!"

I wouldn't complain... then again i would be like WTF is up with you?

So..... matches make cigarettes taste better.

OH SHIT EVERYONE GET DOWN!, NOTCH IS PISSED! OFFICE NINJAS RETREAT! i say again RETREAT!
-dives down and takes cover-

matthew_lane:

iRevanchist:
blaming the victim for not telling authority and discrediting her experience.

/facepalm

Um, the victim of her not seeking help immediately would be here... Also the perpetrator of her not seeking help immediately would also be her.

just saying

yeah, she deserved what she got considering she didn't run around telling every authority figure within a mile radius of her being violated. seriously, why wouldn't she run straight up to a stranger and recount something she wants to forget as soon as possible? women, you know?

Therumancer:

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

The single sickest, saddest comment I've ever seen on this site.

Snip

That was beautiful, shine on.

Don't go to parties with a bunch of strangers.

Don't drink yourself into a state of mild inebriation if you do go against common wisdom, and do go to parties with a bunch of strangers.

This especially applies to parties associated with video games. I mean, have you seen what people pass off as perfectly normal / acceptable behavior online? Now put them in a room with alcohol.

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

Eeeeeeehhhhh. I feel that's a bit strong considering the nature of parties with alcohol involved. The whole hand on bare dick thing is obviously waaaaaay out of any sane tolerance. I find that every person has a limit on what they consider "Okay" flirting. Again, hand on bare dick is probably never going to be an advance that is acceptable.(I say probably because there are a hell of a lot of people in the world and one of them may very well consider that an acceptable advance.)

In addition to what a person considers an "Okay" flirt to receive, they also have an idea of what is an "Okay" flirt to give. In my experience I find that these things may or may not vary depending on the groups and cultures and everything. I've been at parties where nearly everybody was on somebody else by the end and I've also been at parties where people went home and nobody had sex for a week afterwards because of the lingering lack of sexual tension. If you mix these two groups together and add alcohol, you'd probably end up with many offended people at the end.

Many parties mix together people and alcohols of different lifestyles and intensities, many times, bad things happen. Most often is loud arguments between two drunk people. It's nearly inevitable that somebody will throw out a flirt that is "okay" to some but not "okay" to others. The worst case scenario is when a person from one extreme throws a flirt to a person of another extreme. For instance, dirty talk, which is considered sexual harassment when it's unwelcome, is still flirting. There are plenty of "moves" meaning physical touch that are flirtatious without being "hand on bare dick" and are fair game with a particular type of person. They range from Dick and Jane to James Joyce's dirty letters or; putting your arm over somebodies shoulder and holding hands or even just touching somebodies hand a specific way to undoing somebodies belt while talking to them or for the inconceivably forward, a straight up, no bullshit plunge of the hand down the pants. The last one actually happened to a friend of mine at a hotdog stand after we left a bar.

Unwelcome attention is when somebody throws a flirt and the receiver isn't okay with it. That happens very often at parties to different degrees. Obviously this situation is the result of a series of more and more extreme flirts that weren't welcome that eventually ended in an extremely lewd act that viciously alienated it's intended aim. I say that unwelcome attention is a common occurrence at parties, but for Therumancer to say that this is in the same boat as unwelcome attention is too far a stretch. The problem is with the classification not the broad assessment.

Unfortunately he does have a point as far as evidence is considered; no witnesses, no hard evidence,(unless there are security cameras) both parties are under the influence etc. She could be trolling. WE have no evidence either. The proper course of action though is to report it to the police, not shrugging.

I-Protest-I:

Therumancer:

Boudica:

Snip

Yeah I really liked it myself. Shame that Boudica may not respond to it though.

Slayer_2:

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

Clearly, you didn't see the thread where people said they'd let a human drown for a pet.

Oh yes.

I know people say things like: "made me lose faith in humanity" etc. That thread made me depressed for a week, even made me reconsider the studies about video games making people apathetic and socially amoral.

That line sounds like something out of a very tasteless comedy. What a fuckwit.

But that poor girl, I give her huge props for not ruining the atmosphere of the party on the shoulders of some douche bags problems, but she should have gone straight to the police and at least filed a complaint when security failed at...being security, public displays like that are not okay. I hope Notch does help find this creep and finds a way to reprimand that Sec-officer for not at least throwing the little shit out on his arse. What you're so 'busy' you can't apprehend an insecure little man-child who's got his cock out on display? WELL THEN, YOU FAIL AT YOUR JOB SIR.

Do4600:
Oh yes.

I know people say things like: "made me lose faith in humanity" etc. That thread made me depressed for a week, even made me reconsider the studies about video games making people apathetic and socially amoral.

Ironically, most people who say that probably voted to save the pet.

And same, although I realized that these attitudes have been around for decades, and hence could not be created by video games or the internet, although they may have been strengthened by it.

Charli:
That line sounds like something out of a very tasteless comedy. What a fuckwit.

But that poor girl, I give her huge props for not ruining the atmosphere of the party on the shoulders of some douche bags problems, but she should have gone straight to the police and at least filed a complaint when security failed at...being security, public displays like that are not okay. I hope Notch does help find this creep and finds a way to reprimand that Sec-officer for not at least throwing the little shit out on his arse. What you're so 'busy' you can't apprehend an insecure little man-child who's got his cock out on display? WELL THEN, YOU FAIL AT YOUR JOB SIR.

Pretty sure they couldn't find the man after the incident. Security didn't have to be a prick about it though

Call me a sexist misogynistic pig if you must, but reading over this thread it seems like everyone is confused.
Those of us who don't see what happened to her as that big of a deal aren't sexist, quite the opposite in fact, it's all of you who joining the lynch mob who are the real sexists.

hear me out...

A common theme amongst those who don't see the big deal is that they've placed themselves in the victims shoes, and responded based on how THEY would have reacted. In essence they're treating the victim as a perfect equal. They see no difference between her and themselves, and while that may be a little insensitive given that men and women see things fundamentally different, it isn't sexist, perhaps a little childish though.

Everyone else on the other hand seems to be treating the victim as a delicate flower that needs to be shielded from harm at all times, that she can't possibly look after herself, and it's up to us [men] to ensure things like this never happen to poor women like her. The over reaction of situations like this show people still hold women in lesser regard, that they're such innocent and gentle beings that it takes an horrific monster to commit such an act and the only ones that can make a difference are men.

just saiyan.

acosn:

Don't drink yourself into a state of mild inebriation if you do go against common wisdom, and do go to parties with a bunch of strangers.

This especially applies to parties associated with video games. I mean, have you seen what people pass off as perfectly normal / acceptable behavior online? Now put them in a room with alcohol.

Don't take your dick out in public.

Don't make strangers touch your dick without their consent.

DON'T TAKE YOUR DICK OUT IN PUBLIC.

LOOK I SOLVED THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT PUTTING THE VICTIM AT FAULT...FUCKING AMAZING...I DESERVE SOME KIND OF NOBEL PRIZE.

anthony87:

I-Protest-I:

Therumancer:

Snip

Yeah I really liked it myself. Shame that Boudica may not respond to it though.

Probably best she doesn't, she would likely pick out one or two words out of it to rage about ignoring the rest and trying to act all indignant and superior when it is obvious to everyone she has no idea what she is talking about.

She should have laughed at him when he got his knob out and told him "oh yeah, I see your problem it is kind of small".

That would hurt far more than any punishment from the law. He would deserve it too, you don't go around waving your wang at people like that.

mirasiel:

acosn:

LOOK I SOLVED THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT PUTTING THE VICTIM AT FAULT...FUCKING AMAZING...I DESERVE SOME KIND OF NOBEL PRIZE.

It really needs to be said that what he did was inexcusable?

No. No it doesn't. As if what he did being illegal wasn't enough, it doesn't even register on the radar of acceptable social behavior.

wulf3n:

just saiyan.

Oh you and your DBZ references, your krillin me man, you really are.

Mimsofthedawg:
.................... *goes on for eternity like that*...

Why wouldn't you go get help? Why would that effect you so badly? Why didn't the security guard do SOMETHING (even if it was to offer solace)? Why wasn't there a better investigation where you could get a sketch of the dude or security photage? just WHY?!

To be honest, a part of this sounds fishy to me. Almost like the girl is fabricating the whole thing. BUT I ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE... well... Who just walks away after a creepy dude puts his dick on you? NO NO, who let's themselves be in that situation?

I'm sure that there's a bunch of people who could jump all over me for what I just said. But honestly? It's really a whole lot less about what I just said, and a whole lot more of "WHY?!" This whole thing's just bizarre.

I was in a similar situation once. My mom had to force me to report it, because I just wanted to forget about it.

Something like that, no matter how small, freaks you out internally. For *years* afterward, I went out of my way to avoid the place it happened, disrupting my daily schedule. I can't explain why, there was no logical reason. I just didn't want to remember or deal with it anymore. I wanted to stop being traumatized and get on with my life.

It's not a matter of 'letting' yourself be in that situation. It just happens. Sometimes so fast it's only a half-hour later that you snap out of your shock to realize what happened.

So, dude gets drunk and does something inappropriate. Girl gets understandably upset and informs security. Security does nothing, and girl is subject to accusations of lying. I want to be shocked and disgusted, but I can't even be surprised by it anymore.

littlealicewhite:

Mimsofthedawg:

Why wouldn't you go get help? Why would that effect you so badly? Why didn't the security guard do SOMETHING (even if it was to offer solace)? Why wasn't there a better investigation where you could get a sketch of the dude or security photage? just WHY?!

To be honest, a part of this sounds fishy to me. Almost like the girl is fabricating the whole thing. BUT I ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE... well... Who just walks away after a creepy dude puts his dick on you? NO NO, who let's themselves be in that situation?

I'm sure that there's a bunch of people who could jump all over me for what I just said. But honestly? It's really a whole lot less about what I just said, and a whole lot more of "WHY?!" This whole thing's just bizarre.

I was in a similar situation once. My mom had to force me to report it, because I just wanted to forget about it.

Something like that, no matter how small, freaks you out internally. For *years* afterward, I went out of my way to avoid the place it happened, disrupting my daily schedule. I can't explain why, there was no logical reason. I just didn't want to remember or deal with it anymore. I wanted to stop being traumatized and get on with my life.

It's not a matter of 'letting' yourself be in that situation. It just happens. Sometimes so fast it's only a half-hour later that you snap out of your shock to realize what happened.

So, dude gets drunk and does something inappropriate. Girl gets understandably upset and informs security. Security does nothing, and girl is subject to accusations of lying. I want to be shocked and disgusted, but I can't even be surprised by it anymore.

OH MY EFFEN BUDDHA GOD FROM SATANIC HELL, I WAS NOT ACCUSING HER OF LYING! :@ :@ :@

I'm just going to rage quit these forums. This is absurd.

On a FORUM, which she probably is not apart of, but even if she was, I was not saying it directly to her, I made mention that the facts of her story seem odd, as though they don't add up. Good lord do I also know the trauma of sexual assault. it took my current gf YEARS before she told me what happened to her once, and it has totally effected her in the worst way possible. several ex gf's, my sister, best friends, etc. etc. etc. Go down the line. I've had friends and have helped them through it. I'm not a misogynistic ass of a guy that just doesn't get it. That's not the point. I feel sorry for her. I would give anything to help, and believe me my heart goes out to her and if I met her face to face I would comfort her, be disgusted, and want to offer my support.

But these things just don't add up completely. Venues like that are FULL of security. the guards there aren't rent a cops, they're professionally trained to deal specifically with situations like that, ESPECIALLY situations like that. Given the nature of the event, with a good sketch, etc. it would probably be easy to track the guy down. No security guard would jsut "shrug". Never mind the fact that many events like that are invite only, with hardly any breathing room. The very notion she was in a room alone with a guy like that during an event that was would have been so packed is odd. I can go on. All I'm saying is that those things don't entirely add up. Then there's the fact that she went to twitter. So you're telling me that you wanted to just forget it, pretend it never even happened etc., right? I'd expect that. That's what normal people do. Normal people avoid the subject. They don't go blabbering about it to the entire world. I'm not saying that normal people SHOULD avoid it (it's not my place to say if they should or shouldn't). It's that, as I said, my gf herself couldn't tell me she had been raped by her sister because of how embarassed she was. I can't fathom her expressing that on her twitter account.

At this point I don't even care. And I'm just so pist that people would attack me for wanting to apply some logic to this situation. And I also don't know why I'm even bothering to reply. People are going to read what they want, and clearly it's going to be nothing good. I'm just so sick of how judgemental people are. How defensive they are. They drop true care and compassion at the door for petty causes and politics, talking a good talk but never truly acting in upstanding ways. This is bull shit. Reply if you want. I'm hitting hte delete button when it hits my inbox.

Mimsofthedawg:

littlealicewhite:

Mimsofthedawg:

OH MY EFFEN BUDDHA GOD FROM SATANIC HELL, I WAS NOT ACCUSING HER OF LYING! :@ :@ :@

I'm just going to rage quit these forums. This is absurd.

On a FORUM, which she probably is not apart of, but even if she was, I was not saying it directly to her, I made mention that the facts of her story seem odd, as though they don't add up. Good lord do I also know the trauma of sexual assault. it took my current gf YEARS before she told me what happened to her once, and it has totally effected her in the worst way possible. several ex gf's, my sister, best friends, etc. etc. etc. Go down the line. I've had friends and have helped them through it. I'm not a misogynistic ass of a guy that just doesn't get it. That's not the point. I feel sorry for her. I would give anything to help, and believe me my heart goes out to her and if I met her face to face I would comfort her, be disgusted, and want to offer my support.

But these things just don't add up completely. Venues like that are FULL of security. the guards there aren't rent a cops, they're professionally trained to deal specifically with situations like that, ESPECIALLY situations like that. Given the nature of the event, with a good sketch, etc. it would probably be easy to track the guy down. No security guard would jsut "shrug". Never mind the fact that many events like that are invite only, with hardly any breathing room. The very notion she was in a room alone with a guy like that during an event that was would have been so packed is odd. I can go on. All I'm saying is that those things don't entirely add up. Then there's the fact that she went to twitter. So you're telling me that you wanted to just forget it, pretend it never even happened etc., right? I'd expect that. That's what normal people do. Normal people avoid the subject. They don't go blabbering about it to the entire world. I'm not saying that normal people SHOULD avoid it (it's not my place to say if they should or shouldn't). It's that, as I said, my gf herself couldn't tell me she had been raped by her sister because of how embarassed she was. I can't fathom her expressing that on her twitter account.

At this point I don't even care. And I'm just so pist that people would attack me for wanting to apply some logic to this situation. And I also don't know why I'm even bothering to reply. People are going to read what they want, and clearly it's going to be nothing good. I'm just so sick of how judgemental people are. How defensive they are. They drop true care and compassion at the door for petty causes and politics, talking a good talk but never truly acting in upstanding ways. This is bull shit. Reply if you want. I'm hitting hte delete button when it hits my inbox.

Whoa man whoa, I can only hope you don't delete this and give it a chance, you need to calm down. Yes people misunderstood your comment, but that does not mean that you should act like everyone's against you, if you are that irritated, than edit your original post so that your point is a bit clearer. In fact, as far as I was concerned you were a voice of reason on this thread, and then you hit the fucking roof and just attacked everyone and lashed out for no real reason. I said it to someone else, and now I'm saying it to you, when you tell people your pissed, think this is all bullshit, and tell people you don't care what they think and that if they respond you won't care, than you need to step back, breath, and take a nice therapeutic bath.

Black Arrow Officer:

See you around... Space Cowboy

littlealicewhite:

I don't think anyone is accusing her of lying. What is being said is that there isn't enough proof of what happened to warrant an arrest.

A misdemeanor requires the arresting party to have actually witnessed first-hand the crime committed (by direct sight or through surveillance equipment). If the girl had wanted to make a citizen's arrest, she certainly could have, but the security guard had no legal authority to arrest the offender.

Yes, this sucks in this particular situation, but it is a protection put in place so as to prevent wrongful arrests. American law always presumes innocence, and if we have to let a few perverts get off the hook in order to prevent the arrest of innocents, so be it.

I do feel it would have been appropriate, had the girl been able to identify the guy, for the guard to explain the situation to his supervisor, who could have then discretely asked him to leave the premises. If he refused, then he could be arrested for trespassing.

You know what I do when women pushes my hand into her breasts or vagina?
1. I pull my hand back
2. I tell her to get away from me
3. I shrug it off
4. (optional) I get a drink
5. I DO NOT run around and tell everyone that I was sexually assaulted
Why?
Because at this point I pretty much accepted that this world is full of jerks, and if I'll stop and complain every time I've been done wrong, I wouldn't get anywhere or accomplish anything.
Not that I'm defending that dick-flapping a-hole.
But right reaction would be to start hysterically laugh and then say that this is actually tiny dick :D

captcha: I like humans
NO I DON'T!!!

Black Arrow Officer:
I'm done with this forum. I can't handle the sexism here anymore. I don't know about you guys, but I'm going back into the real world, starting with my upcoming enlistment in the Navy.

NIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERSNIGGERS

you may be gone by now...but I'm a little insulted at the "real world" acusation

I hate it when people throw around that BS phrase

acosn:

mirasiel:

acosn:

It really needs to be said that what he did was inexcusable?

No. No it doesn't. As if what he did being illegal wasn't enough, it doesn't even register on the radar of acceptable social behavior.

Well apparently you needed to be told and so did he.

Here's a hint, the person who needs to modify their behavior in this situation...its not the girl, which is what you seem to be implying.

Rainboq:
The guard could have sealed it, called the party to a halt and had the men form a lineup and have her pick out the guy, or seal the place and call the police. Doing nothing was the absolutely worst thing he could have done.

Damn, I know that some people live in their bubbles without any sort of idea what the real world is like, but this takes it to a whole different level.

Where do you live? Narnia or Neverland? Or perhaps You are one of Santa Claus' little helpers? :D

iRevanchist:

matthew_lane:

iRevanchist:
blaming the victim for not telling authority and discrediting her experience.

/facepalm

Um, the victim of her not seeking help immediately would be here... Also the perpetrator of her not seeking help immediately would also be her.

just saying

yeah, she deserved what she got considering she didn't run around telling every authority figure within a mile radius of her being violated. seriously, why wouldn't she run straight up to a stranger and recount something she wants to forget as soon as possible? women, you know?

I love it. Your excuses just jump around all over the place.

-Bad thing happens: Guys fault (this one is the only valid one)
-The fact that she didn't want to tell someone: someone elses fault
-The fact that she had to recount the story: someone elses fault
-The fact that the security guy didn't have magical time reversing powers: someone elses fault
-The fact that she didn't have the social agency to do something during the act: someone elses fault

It must be hard to be this woman, walking around all day with no agency whatsoever, a previous liottle victim in a world of the big bad menz... Mayhap she should develop some social agency & posters here may actualy expect some reasonable common sense out of women... I mean 40+ years of people saying women are equal, you'd kind of expect women to demonstrate an equal amount of social agency. But maybe thats just me walking around with my penis, social privielege & my big old brain coming up with silly idea.

Because as we know women can do anything a man can do... Oh except for the list i'm now keeping, which so far includes
- Summoning assistance
- Punching a creep in the face
- Pantsing a creep
- Running for help
- Moving to defend oneself within a timely fashion of having seen a naked penis
- Write ones name in pee in the snow

OniaPL:

Rainboq:

Damn, I know that some people live in their bubbles without any sort of idea what the real world is like, but this takes it to a whole different level.

Where do you live? Narnia or Neverland? Or perhaps You are one of Santa Claus' little helpers? :D

Nonononnono.
The guard should have locked the doors, turned of the lights, save for one flickering light bulb, forced all men in the building to line up and then started publicly executing them using either razor wire, a garotte or an axe until the culprit fessed up to it.
THEN the victim should have been allowed to first castrate him in public, followed by forcing him to literally chocke on his own testicles.
That would have been the way to do it

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or