Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Slayer_2:

Entitled:
The problem with that is, that it's based on the idea that sexual assault is just a social construct, and therefore a matter of subjective morality.

Unless you want to make up some pseudoscientific hypothesis about how men are biologically haywired to shrug off sexual assault while women aren't, it basically means that sexual assault on men is OK, as long as culture teaches them that it is OK. In other words, women only receive emotional pain from sexual assault because they are taught to consider it a morally unacceptable attack on their identity.

If sexual assault is a matter of subjective morality, that can be ignored in some cases where the "victim" doesn't happen to feel victimized for cultural reasons, then the logical course of action to eliminate the dangers of sexual assault, would be to condition women that sexual assault is no big deal as well, so we could all live in a culture where we get equally raped, and equally not worrying about it.

And isn't it partially a social construct? The same way "murder is bad" is also a social construct.

I've been in many situations that, if genders were reversed, would have been seen as sexual assault. Rape is a bit extreme, but things like groping, flashing, pulling off my pants with no warning at all, etc. If I showed my junk off to some random girls, I don't think they'd be happy, when I get flashed by girls I think it's awesome. Girls have grabbed my hand and put it on their crotch a few times, if I did that with a girl I just met, I'd be taking quite the risk, and likely be labelled a rapist, pervert or something similar.

Since having a vagina doesn't make you mentally weaker, you could argue that it is a social construct, and that women could theoretically be conditioned over decades to handle unwanted sexual advances differently. However, I wish you good luck on such an endeavor, since not only will you be labelled a "rape supporter" (and receive a myriad of other insults), but you will likely also be told that you are ignorant, misogynistic, and even psychopathic for such ideas. Forgive me if I'm rambling, it's late and I am quite tired. Anyhow, such talk is only inviting a lot of rage.

So, do what? Let's just be more strict with male rapists and more protective of female victims, because they are more likely to be emotionally hurt? Or accept that the same non-consensual acts should be punished based on how much fuss the victim chooses to make afterwards, instead of any objective criteria (e.g: genital-touching is bad)?

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

The single sickest, saddest comment I've ever seen on this site.

Really... there was one chick on here all up for rubbing her period blood on some paper and calling it art...

Elementary - Dear Watson:

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

Really... there was one chick on here all up for rubbing her period blood on some paper and calling it art...

Yes, please do compare art you dislike to shrugging off sexual assault. It'll make it easier to not take you seriously.

Boudica:

Boudica:

Yes, please do compare art you dislike to shrugging off sexual assault. It'll make it easier to not take you seriously.

Wow... I was only kidding around... no need for that!

And I am not shrugging off sexual assault... did you even read my comment? I mentioned that it shouldn't have happened, she should have been glad it wasn't worse, and you can't really tell if that was the whole story...

How am I shrugging it off? Please tell...

Boudica:

Boudica:

Um the person in question wasn't comparing anything. It was statement in opposition to the idea that the above comment was the sickest , saddest comment ever on this site.

Boudica:

And I am not shrugging off sexual assault... did you even read my comment? I mentioned that it shouldn't have happened, she should have been glad it wasn't worse, and you can't really tell if that was the whole story...

Did you not read the comment before quoting me?

Person A: Shit happens at parties.
Person B: That is the worst thing I've seen.
Person C: Menstrual blood painting is worse.

Therefore, you stated that the art I showed was more "sickening and sad" than shrugging off sexual assault.

Simple.

So many new and exciting ways to downplay sexual assault, blame the victim, and show solidarity for a creeper.

Way to go, guys. Fantastic job you're doing, showing how gamer culture totally doesn't have problems with sexism.

Trilligan:
So many new and exciting ways to downplay sexual assault, blame the victim, and show solidarity for a creeper.

Way to go, guys. Fantastic job you're doing, showing how gamer culture totally doesn't have problems with sexism.

Eh? I haven't read all the comments here, but I thought we'd all just sort of agreed that the one person that was definitely an asshole in this situation was Mr. Creeper.

I could well be wrong I guess.

Boudica:

Boudica:

Therefore, you stated that the art I showed was more "sickening and sad" than shrugging off sexual assault.

Simple.

I was commenting on your comment by playing on the words... sick in modern tounge has multiple meanings... You used it on a moral level as an adjective, where I switched it to a more literal verb...

It was a simple switch of words... and not in any way attempt to cause any offence... yet your verbally abusive backlash was totally uncalled for!

Boudica:

Simple.

I was commenting on your comment by playing on the words... sick in modern tounge has multiple meanings... You used it on a moral level as an adjective, where I switched it to a more literal verb...

It was a simple switch of words... and not in any way attempt to cause any offence... yet your verbally abusive backlash was totally uncalled for!

You can't ignore the context of the comments you inserted yourself into because you don't like the implications. I said shrugging off sexual assault was the worst thing I've seen here. You said the art I showed you is worse.

If you want to joke about abuse, don't quote me to do it.

I do feel sorry for her, but she really could've done more. So should the guard, but you can understand his dismissive behaviour seeing as she was drunk.

It sucks that this sort of thing still happens, people need to get a grip.

Azuaron:

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"

Holy shit, my sides.

Seriously? Your response to sexual assault is "that's hilarious"?

I think I'm going to instead believe that you just got back from boxing, and quoted that by accident.

Taken out of context (which is how he chose to quote it) is pretty funny, not gonna lie. Even if the story is seriously wrong.

3quency:

Trilligan:

Eh? I haven't read all the comments here, but I thought we'd all just sort of agreed that the one person that was definitely an asshole in this situation was Mr. Creeper.

It's quotes like these:

Not gonna, lie if some chick was talking about how insecure she is about her vag, and then put my hand down her pants, and showed me it, I'd love it.

Because sexual assault is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

I see no functional difference between forcing someone to touch your junk and forcing someone to give you a hug

Because obviously this was just some misplaced affection.

She should view it as drunken error on both sides, and get on with her life

Because obviously she was just as much at fault for having a hand that was available for molesting.

Minimize the impact of the perpetrator, maximize the fault of the victim, that way, she looks like she was in the wrong and he is just socially awkward. Why should we villainize a sexual assailant when there's a victimized woman handy?

So yeah, that's what I mean when I say they show solidarity for the creeper.

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"

Holy shit, my sides.

Ignore everyone else, that one line was golden and absolutely hilarious.

People, humour is subjective. Get over it.

OT: I'm surprised she didn't tell someone and that he didn't get the crap beaten out of him. That would have made a satisfying end to the night.

Boudica:
SNIP

I wasn't joking about the fucking abuse... I have already stated that! I was merely joking with the exaggerative comment you made...

What is your problem? You are taking everyones comments as some sort of personal insult to you and then getting all up your own arse about it... You are not the be all and end all of morality and what consitutes right and wrong, so who gave you permission to shit-can anyones opinion that varies to yours in such an arrogant way?

Other people in this thread have made very valid points on a grey area, that are pertinent and personal to them, and you have turned around and told them they are wrong... how is someones opinion wrong in a non-defined grey area?

And THEN someone makes a joke UNCONNECTED to the arguement, and you can't admit that was the case... just because you read into it wrong means that I am completly wrong and at fault, even though your mistake was pointed out to you by me and someone totally unconnected...

Seriously, chill the fuck out, and be more accommodating of other peoples opinions...!

CardinalPiggles:
I do feel sorry for her, but she really could've done more. So should the guard, but you can understand his dismissive behaviour seeing as she was drunk.

Um, where does it say he was dismissive because she was drunk?

He wasn't dismissive at all & having done that kind of job myself there was literally nothing he could have done. Especially after the fact, after the guy has left, 15 minutes after it happened.

He's a security guard, not magic.

Boudica:
SNIP

I wasn't joking about the fucking abuse... I have already stated that! I was merely joking with the exaggerative comment you made...

What is your problem? You are taking everyones comments as some sort of personal insult to you and then getting all up your own arse about it... You are not the be all and end all of morality and what consitutes right and wrong, so who gave you permission to shit-can anyones opinion that varies to yours in such an arrogant way?

Other people in this thread have made very valid points on a grey area, that are pertinent and personal to them, and you have turned around and told them they are wrong... how is someones opinion wrong in a non-defined grey area?

And THEN someone makes a joke UNCONNECTED to the arguement, and you can't admit that was the case... just because you read into it wrong means that I am completly wrong and at fault, even though your mistake was pointed out to you by me and someone totally unconnected...

Seriously, chill the fuck out, and be more accommodating of other peoples opinions...!

Like I said, have your opinion all you want. Don't quote me to make the jokes, however. I don't appreciate being used to make light when discussing sexual abuse. You want--go nuts. I'll refrain.

Trilligan:

3quency:

Trilligan:

It's quotes like these:

Not gonna, lie if some chick was talking about how insecure she is about her vag, and then put my hand down her pants, and showed me it, I'd love it.

Because sexual assault is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

I see no functional difference between forcing someone to touch your junk and forcing someone to give you a hug

Because obviously this was just some misplaced affection.

Because obviously she was just as much at fault for having a hand that was available for molesting.

Minimize the impact of the perpetrator, maximize the fault of the victim, that way, she looks like she was in the wrong and he is just socially awkward. Why should we villainize a sexual assailant when there's a victimized woman handy?

Ah. Fuck those guys.
</eloquence>

matthew_lane:

CardinalPiggles:

He wasn't dismissive at all & having done that kind of job myself there was literally nothing he could have done. Especially after the fact, after the guy has left, 15 minutes after it happened.

Andy Chalk:
"Some asshole did something totally unacceptable at my party, and a security guard shrugged it off,"

Check, your move.

3quency:

Trilligan:

Dude, thats how this nonsense usually works. If someone woman stumped her toe on a bed frame & someone posted it as an article there would be some of us saying , oh well, some posting she should have been more attentitve & a stupidly high number of commentors on here calling for the banning of bed frames, blaming men for designing bed frames, & insulting anyone who points out that she just stumped her toe, get over it.

Society unfortunately is still in the knee jerk hyper reactionary mode of operation & hasn't quite got into the women are people with there own social agency model of societal fucntionality yet.

It'll happen eventually, but it make take another thousand years or so.

CardinalPiggles:

matthew_lane:

CardinalPiggles:

Andy Chalk:
"Some asshole did something totally unacceptable at my party, and a security guard shrugged it off,"

Check, your move.

I'm seeing no mention of him being dismissive or his dismissiveness having anything to do with her level of intoxication. So at best its a fools check

Of course he did nothing, there was nothing for him to do. He more then likely informed her of her options & she got pissed because he didn't possess magical time reversing powers. Used to happen when we were on the job all the time: someone would lock there keys in there car & they'd be all pissed at us because they locked there keys in there car.

Anger is not rational & its less rational for women at this point in our history, where women are still primarily functioning under the popular paradigm that there continued protection is the job of every man, everywhere.

Irridium:
She tried to get help. The security guard didn't do anything. She then got help from her friends to help her through it. Sexual assault isn't something you just walk off, it's a pretty traumatizing experience. The security guard didn't do anything because... I don't know actually. He's a security guard, he should have found the guy and evicted him immediately.

And she didn't make a scene probably because the reaction would be like yours. People would assume she made it up for attention or something.

Assumption.

Most logically had she actually made a scene people would have seen an Asian guy with his dick hanging out of his pants.
He already sounds quite weepy and emotional so unless he started bawling like a baby after she jacked him off, I very much doubt people would have assumed she made it up.
Let us not be too fucking cynical of the entire ordeal

She didn't make a fuss and people are looking into it, had she made a fuss the results would be the same.
Ugh.

BabyRaptor:
The guard reacted like he did because we live in a society where this kind of shit is expected. We teach women not to get raped and shrug off men who can't have a little self-control with "Boys will be boys."

It's sick. And at least in America, it's encouraged. Look at our politicians...

Teaching women not to get raped is a bad thing?
That's how it's coming across here and yes before you say "We should be teaching people not to rape", we already do.
Teaching people to be personally responsible for their safety is a very, very good thing.

Boudica:
]Like I said, have your opinion all you want. Don't quote me to make the jokes, however. I don't appreciate being used to make light when discussing sexual abuse. You want--go nuts. I'll refrain.

Not to tell you what to do or anything, advice is how I'd put it. You're kind of like a wounded animal at the moment just snapping at posters, I can clearly see it's a pretty touchy subject for you.
Maybe you should back off the thread, Boudi.

chadachada123:
I think you don't understand one simple concept: I'm not you.

For sexual assault, I would not give a shit in the vast majority of situations, and I know that for a fact.

For rape, I said that I HONESTLY DON'T SEE MYSELF being traumatized in most non-painful situations. Maybe I'd be wrong. There's only one way to know for sure. What I do know is that some victims of rape walk away emotionally pretty much fine, while others like you think that it is unable to comprehend, with everything in between.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting, and to say that the pain is incomprehensible is unfounded (and insulting to other victims that weren't harmed emotionally to your extent). I've been through a lot of nasty shit, and I see little that could compare emotionally for myself. As in, for me. Not you. Not him. Not them. Me.

That's great but you could show a little compassion here and stop with the "unfeeling and insensitive" thing you have going on.

Maybe YOU personally suffer extreme emotional pain, but to say I would suffer the same is insulting
You must be a delicate flower.

So....does Notch ever do anything besides tweet? I mean how much rage can you express over sexual assault in just 140 characters?

Boudica:
Like I said, have your opinion all you want. Don't quote me to make the jokes, however. I don't appreciate being used to make light when discussing sexual abuse. You want--go nuts. I'll refrain.

Pot... Kettle... Black...

You consistantly make sarcastic remarks on threads... sometimes quoting people to do it...

Just Saiyan!

Trilligan:

Yay... Thank you SO much for quoting me out of context, and then responding to the bit you wanted to make your point on... Which due to the removal of the rest of my post, was incorrect...

I mentioned that we don't know the whole story... we only know her drunken haze version... She could have lead him on for all we know...

And I also mentioned that what he did WAS wrong, and shouldn't have happened... but that she should also be glad she wasn't actually attacked...

I sympathised with her, but also appreciated that this isn't the worse news I have read today, and it could have been so much worse!

Boudica:

Pot... Kettle... Black...

You consistantly make sarcastic remarks on threads... sometimes quoting people to do it...

Just Saiyan!

Trilligan:

Yay... Thank you SO much for quoting me out of context, and then responding the bit you want to make your point...

I mentioned that we don't know the whole story... we only know her drunken haze version... She could have lead him on for all we know...

And I also mentioned that what he did WAS wrong, and shouldn't have happened... but that she should also be glad she wasn't actually attacked...

I sympathised with her, but also appreciated that this isn't the worse news I have read today, and it could have been so much worse!

I don't think you know what that phrase means, but alright, go ahead and show me one (just one) example of me quoting someone to make a joke surrounding the topic of sexual assault.

If you can't do it, you misused the phrase. That's right, because I said "I don't appreciate being used to make light when discussing sexual abuse."

Again, go nuts and joke in the thread until the cows come home. Have fun. Leave me out of it.

@Boudica: Chill Boudica. The fact is that its not such a huge deal. i mean oh no a grown woman saw a penis. Creepy yes, sexual assualt sure but only by the stirctest measure of the law, hugely truamatic, not so much so.

I used to see women do significatnly worse on a friday night at most clubs in the city & no one as much as batted an eye.

The fact is that this woman is trying to play up the fact that the security guard didn't do anything, so that she can absolve herself of the fact that SHE didn't do anything. Its classic guilt transference.

Boudica:
I don't think you know what that phrase means, but alright, go ahead and show me one (just one) example of me quoting someone to make a joke surrounding the topic of sexual assault.

If you can't do it, you misused the phrase. That's right, because I said "I don't appreciate being used to make light when discussing sexual abuse."

Again, go nuts and joke in the thread until the cows come home. Have fun. Leave me out of it.

I do know what the phrase means... as you just did it again... I ignored the fact that you mentioned the sexual abuse, because you are ignoring the fact that I wasn't joking about sexual abuse to begin with...

Well done genius!

matthew_lane:

CardinalPiggles:

matthew_lane:

Andy Chalk:

Check, your move.

I'm seeing no mention of him being dismissive or his dismissiveness having anything to do with her level of intoxication. So at best its a fools check

Of course he did nothing, there was nothing for him to do. He more then likely informed her of her options & she got pissed because he didn't possess magical time reversing powers. Used to happen when we were on the job all the time: someone would lock there keys in there car & they'd be all pissed at us because they locked there keys in there car.

Anger is not rational & its less rational for women at this point in our history, where women are still primarily functioning under the popular paradigm that there continued protection is the job of every man, everywhere.

Queen to B6?

Anyway, do you know what he means when he says "shrugged it off"? It means the security guard didn't take her seriously, and seeing as we're told she was drunk, well I put two and two together. Who wants to deal with -not one- but a group of distraught young ladies who have been drinking, I sure don't, and I don't think he would've wanted to either.

Of course I'm doing a bit of guesswork here, but seeing as we're not told a great deal of information (because it's still early into the investigation), you have to guess a bit.

I'm not saying he (or any other security guards) didn't give a shit, or he chose not to help, but according to Notch he was dismissive.

Sexual assault is never funny, but the guy seemed like such a pathetic loser, how can we not laugh about it? Mock him, make him seem ridiculous, like the sad little man he is. There's nothing wrong with mocking someone like that.

Boudica:

I do know what the phrase means... as you just did it again... I ignored the fact that you mentioned the sexual abuse, because you are ignoring the fact that I wasn't joking about sexual abuse to begin with...

Well done genius!

The irony is heavy in your attempted insult.

*Well done, genius!

Lyri:

Not to tell you what to do or anything, advice is how I'd put it. You're kind of like a wounded animal at the moment just snapping at posters, I can clearly see it's a pretty touchy subject for you.
Maybe you should back off the thread, Boudi.

Quoted for Truth. You're coming off like a troll at this point Boudi, and not helping 'The Cause'.

CardinalPiggles:
Queen to B6?

Anyway, do you know what he means when he says "shrugged it off"? It means the security guard didn't take her seriously, and seeing as we're told she was drunk, well I put two and two together.

So essentially you are building up a narrative out of nothing.

He didn't do anything because there was nothing he could do. What exactly was this security guard meant to do exactly?

Mimsofthedawg:
.................... *goes on for eternity like that*...

Why wouldn't you go get help? Why would that effect you so badly? Why didn't the security guard do SOMETHING (even if it was to offer solace)? Why wasn't there a better investigation where you could get a sketch of the dude or security photage? just WHY?!

To be honest, a part of this sounds fishy to me. Almost like the girl is fabricating the whole thing. BUT I ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE... well... Who just walks away after a creepy dude puts his dick on you? NO NO, who let's themselves be in that situation?

I'm sure that there's a bunch of people who could jump all over me for what I just said. But honestly? It's really a whole lot less about what I just said, and a whole lot more of "WHY?!" This whole thing's just bizarre.

blaming the victim for not telling authority and discrediting her experience. niiiiiiice, very classy. yeah, i'm sure she "let" herself be in that situation.

jackass.

iRevanchist:
blaming the victim for not telling authority and discrediting her experience.

/facepalm

Um, the victim of her not seeking help immediately would be here... Also the perpetrator of her not seeking help immediately would also be her.

just saying

Okay usually I get into a thread like this and start taking part in the discussion that's already going on. But I'm genuinely about a very specific part of this story and some of the reactions so far, that I'd like to examine with you (ie. everyone here)

I am not a big fan of penises. I mean, I like mine, there's a few others I've liked in the past, but I'm certainly not a fan of random guys' penises at, say, PAX.
And certainly don't like someone behaving predatorial towards me.

But still, these comments puzzle me a little.

it took awhile for the shock to wear off and the magnitude of the situation to sink in

I bolted for the door to find a cab, trying to hold tears back.

'magnitude of the situation'? This is something that has no negative physical results, no pregnancy, chance of STD, no physical injury, he doesn't know anything about her, so no chance of stalking....

'trying to hold tears back'? This I can somewhat imagine. It may have no negative physical results, but it has some negative emotional results. But how is this worse than a bit of a fright?

As a whole the term 'sexual assault' sounds much worse than what this creepy guy actually did.

I felt ashamed and embarrassed that this happened to me

It's sad that it has this result, because it certainly isn't her fault.

Irridium:

Mimsofthedawg:
.................... *goes on for eternity like that*...

Why wouldn't you go get help? Why would that effect you so badly? Why didn't the security guard do SOMETHING (even if it was to offer solace)? Why wasn't there a better investigation where you could get a sketch of the dude or security photage? just WHY?!

To be honest, a part of this sounds fishy to me. Almost like the girl is fabricating the whole thing. BUT I ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE... well... Who just walks away after a creepy dude puts his dick on you? NO NO, who let's themselves be in that situation?

I'm sure that there's a bunch of people who could jump all over me for what I just said. But honestly? It's really a whole lot less about what I just said, and a whole lot more of "WHY?!" This whole thing's just bizarre.

She tried to get help. The security guard didn't do anything. She then got help from her friends to help her through it. Sexual assault isn't something you just walk off, it's a pretty traumatizing experience. The security guard didn't do anything because... I don't know actually. He's a security guard, he should have found the guy and evicted him immediately.

And she didn't make a scene probably because the reaction would be like yours. People would assume she made it up for attention or something.

kitsuta:

Mimsofthedawg:

Understanding what this is and that people cannot always control how they act in stressful situations will make you a better person. Not responding to harassment like a rational, calm person would does not cast her allegations in any doubt - if anything, mental shock is common enough that her experiencing it makes her story that much more believable.

As far as "letting themselves be in that situation," she did not go to a gathering called 'Rapists and Other Creepy Dudes Get Their Dicks Out.'

chimeracreator:

Mimsofthedawg:

Actually it's a pretty easy scenario to see play out. It goes as follows:

1. The guy says his initial line after talking to her for a bit.

2. She looks at him funny says, "Yeah... no" walks away and pulls out her phone to text someone or check something on the Internet, but above all to indicate to said guy that the conversation is OVER.

3. He sees this as a challenge, walks over with his dick pulled out while she is looking at the phone not him.

4. He grabs her free hand and pulls it down and asked, "Is this big enough?"

5. She pulls her hand away. Figures out what she touched and walks the hell away with a thousand things going through her brain.

6. After clearing the room and collecting herself for a minute she goes to see a security guard, who blows her off.

As for why the guy would do it? He was drunk and wanted to show what a man he was. So yep, it strikes me as a very believable story and something that I hope gets addressed better at PAX in the future because this sort of behavior has no place in gamer culture.

wow. I totally knew I was going to get flack for saying what I was saying, but not six comments worth (I think I only quoted three).

At any rate, let me be clear that I understand sexual assault is a twisted, demented thing that's very difficult. My girlfriend was sexually assaulted (by a close family member no less) - I get how down right evil it is. I also am EXTREMELY appreciative of notch for showing his support.

All my point was is that there's something just A LITTLE fishy. Things like that are FULL of people, it's usually invite only, AND there's tons of security camera's. They are also usually held at professional venues where the security isn't just "rent a cop" but a step higher, where they're trained to react appropriately in such situations. They don't just "shrug" off an accusation of sexual assault (and if a security guard did do that, he should be fired... maybe even brought up on charges). These things don't entirely line up in my mind, and when ANYONE goes to Twitter or some other social media site to express any sort of major news, especially sad stuff, in this manner I immediately call their intentions into question. No one pays respect if you're laughing. They might pay a little if you cry. And if you do it long enough, they might even pay attention. But they still won't pay respects until you die. #JonForeman. If I was sexually assaulted, the last place I'd go is my twitter account. Since this is an online forum for discussion, I was merely expressing this point. I wasn't calling her a liar, I wasn't demeaning her, if it's all true I hope the perpetrator is caught (and hopefully given help cause it sounds like he needs help too), etc. I feel so sorry that this girl was put in this situation. But that doesn't mean that, personally, something doesn't smell a little fishy to me. But I'm not being evil by saying that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here