Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

That made me angry, I wish I witnessed that to kick the guys face.

When I go somewhere to have fun I don't want people grabbing at me and saying such creepy stuff. No wonder Notch is furious. I feel sorry for the girl. :/

Get them. Get both culpable parties. Get the jerk who did it, and get the guard who dismissed it as nothing. This needs to be taken more seriously. Get them. Mike, Jerry, Notch, do whatever you guys need to do--find them.

inb4 "It was her fault", which seems to happen every time on this site.

All these people getting pissed about the guy (the one with the black-face icon) laughing at the ridiculousness of the scenario is really idiotic. I can only wonder how many of them found prison rape jokes in the media HILARIOUS when they were still relatively common. Of course now any that I accuse will just say "THOSE ARE TERRIBLE JOKES" while they fondly remember that good one with the "Big Ben" character.

On the subject at hand - I hope the guy gets caught and that this is a learning experience for her so that next time (God forbid it happens again to her) she'll just nip it at the bud and get the next sap arrested.

lacktheknack:

Why do I bother entering sexual assault threads when I know I'm going to be greeted with classy gentlemen such as this guy?

the guy's a low post counter with a stereotypical pic and Facebook as a badge i wouldn't take anything he says seriously and hopefully he wont last long
he's probably pushing the typical guy response angle because that's what social nubs do
no point raging over it, it just amuses them more

I'm glad the guy didn't push harder and I'm seriously glad she got out okay, all things considered - but the perp is one sad individual. If the only way you have to try and leverage some awkward attention from the fairer sex is to insistently bring the conversation into the subject of sexual preferences, you've got a problem.

Girls don't give a shit about the size of your dick. We're just told by macho types or male-oriented entertainment circles that "easy girls" who will actually do exist. You want out with a nice girl? Spit-shine your brain and show her how clever and insightful you can be. Empathize with her. Have casual fun with her. Broaden your interests to include her own. Don't just come up to a girl and more or less ask her if by her estimates, it looks like you have the capacity to give good cock.

That's maybe good enough for a cheap XTube video produced on a ten year-old DV Cam with a scenario written on a napkin, but it won't cut it in real life.

BehattedWanderer:
Get them. Get both culpable parties. Get the jerk who did it, and get the guard who dismissed it as nothing. This needs to be taken more seriously. Get them. Mike, Jerry, Notch, do whatever you guys need to do--find them.

it has been said before, but I guess ya missed all the times it was said, so I will say it again.

What exactly was the guard to do? There were no witnesses, she had been drinking, and her best description was 'a small asian guy.'

Legally all you can do as security is shrug. At the worst the security officer is guilty of being insensitive. If he had witnessed the act, then it would be a different story, but as it stood it was hearsay and not actionable.

Edit: Changed the tense, damn not sleeping enough

Boudica:
Coming from someone that has fucking been a victim you have no idea what you're talking about. The emotion pain and the upset isn't even something you can comprehend without going through it.

Aw cmon, World. Cmon Escapist. Every time you show me a nice woman (no men so far) it turns out they've been sexually assaulted in some way. It's really depressing me now.

I should stop coming in these threads and learning this stuff about people. Not healthy for optimists.

Easton Dark:

Boudica:
Coming from someone that has fucking been a victim you have no idea what you're talking about. The emotion pain and the upset isn't even something you can comprehend without going through it.

Aw cmon, World. Cmon Escapist. Every time you show me a nice woman (no men so far) it turns out they've been sexually assaulted in some way. It's really depressing me now.

I should stop coming in these threads and learning this stuff about people. Not healthy for optimists.

For a second I honestly thought you were suggesting something like "Damn, she was nice, but looks like she's been damaged." I just about hit the fucking roof XD

Boudica:
For a second I honestly thought you were suggesting something like "Damn, she was nice, but looks like she's been damaged." I just about hit the fucking roof XD

Woah no no no no. It just depresses me. Bad things happen to nice people.

Makes me want to be a super hero, y'know. I'm going to go roll around in some radiation.

Easton Dark:

Boudica:

Woah no no no no. It just depresses me. Bad things happen to nice people.

Makes me want to be a super hero, y'know. I'm going to go roll around in some radiation.

No! Don't do it! Haven't you seen Family Guy? The town will turn on you or you'll get cancer.

Maybe in the ass.

Sexual assault = Not funny.

That said,

"It's being dug into" = EXCELLENT MINING PUN!

Boudica:
No! Don't do it! Haven't you seen Family Guy? The town will turn on you or you'll get cancer.

Maybe in the ass.

Ass cancer, huh.

Not sure if that would discourage sexual assaults.

Sexual assault cancer? Like, give offenders cancer? Of the ass? That'd be a good power.

And yeah I've seen that episode.

SemiHumanTarget:

"It's being dug into" = EXCELLENT MINING PUN!

*raises finger*

*finger drops*

Did not notice that.

Is it just me or does the cycle of people getting furious over something, then murmuring about it, eventually forgetting the issue and due to some recent event get all upset again? It never ends.

The security guard was not at fault; There was nothing he could do, though is response could have been a bit more diplomatic.
The guy was a creeper, and did wrong.
The police won't probably be able to do much about it at this point.
The woman was a victim who didn't deserve to be harassed, but it isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be. Disgusting? Yes. End of the world? No.

Also, the woman was a dumbass. Whether she was too drunk or "wanted to be one of the guys", she was a dumbass for not evacuating when the guy started this shit.

Oh Japanese, you so funny.

Pretty funny, not for the woman, of course, but luckily enough I'm not the woman.

It's hard to explain, but the line "Is this big enough" just splits my sides.

My initial impression was that this was either a drunken joke/dare gone wrong or the worlds worst chat-up attempt.

This guy needs to send a groveling letter of apology as a sign of the respect he didn't show her at the party. Maybe giving her a reason why he acted so inappropriately will help minimize any emotional after-effects.

I'm not gonna start condemning the guy without knowing his real intent. But I will say that his actions were unacceptable, its just not how we're all trying to do things.

FelixG:

Yosharian:
Security guards just don't give a shit, man. You're better off not even talking to a fucking security guard if you want some shit to be dealt with.

Oh look, someone who doesnt know what they are talking about, how surprising.

Really? You're trying that on me? You ought to know better.

That's one very incompetent security guard, i'd have expected one to do more then just shrug had this happened at say, a night club.

Otherwise its a good thing the girl at least shared what happened to her, hopefully will take off some of the burden and lessen long term damage, aswell as allowing her friends to support her properly.

A drunk guy at a party pulled his dick out. CALL THE NEWS!!! Also on CNN tonight: Icecream is not a vegetable. Warn your kids about it.
PAX is a nerdy event, but have you really never ever left your home that some of you consider this to be a big thing? (no pun intended). Sure the guy was a dick, but its not like he was beating her up or anything, she could just leave the area, talk to other people around her, defend herself or not visit a mass event during soxial anxiety attacks.

I'm more spiteful towards the security guard who did nothing when told what happened.

"What do you expect me to do?"

Your fucking job, imbecile.

hooksashands:
I'm more spiteful towards the security guard who did nothing when told what happened.

Which would entail what exactly? Going back in time and stopping it from happening?

anthony87:

hooksashands:

Which would entail what exactly? Going back in time and stopping it from happening?

No, finding the slimebag who rubbed his genitals on her and giving his description to the police. Also kicking him out of the event, which is within his authority and mortal power. You're not clever.

hooksashands:

anthony87:

hooksashands:

No, finding the slimebag who rubbed his genitals on her and giving his description to the police. Also kicking him out of the event, which is within his authority and mortal power. You're not clever.

No, but I'm not stupid either. You really expect them to be able to find one single person in a crowd of that size with a description of "Drunk and Asian"? It's hardly as simple as you're trying to make it out to be.

anthony87:

hooksashands:

anthony87:

No, but I'm not stupid either. You really expect them to be able to find one single person in a crowd of that size with a description of "Drunk and Asian"? It's hardly as simple as you're trying to make it out to be.

I'm starting to doubt that. He's not only one with a pair of eyes. If the dumbshit security guard had gone with her to search, she could have pointed him out. It is that simple.

Edit - never mind. The post below mine is a far, far better way of getting across what I was stabbing at.

If possible, please delete this post.

The Random One:

blalien:
I am getting more and more fed up with the Escapist community with every post about sexual assault getting more jokes than anger in response. I sincerely hope the guy responsible gets caught and punished to the full extent of the law, and the security company issues a public apology immediately.

Agreed on all counts. Sadly the stupid fuck may never be found, but at least the security company should treat its employees properly. What do you expect me to do... A hideous crime has been commited, buddy how about you call the fucking police as is our species' custom?

Look, I know this is going to make me sound like I'm sticking up for misogyny, but can we please not use the word 'hideous' to describe every inappropriate act that happens in the world.

I'm a guy, and believe me or not, I've actually found myself assaulted by women on a number of occasions, usually when I'm out as the girl was in this article. Because I have quite curly hair, I often get drunken women thinking it's okay to just reach out, grab it, and start pulling it around. Never at my invitation, in case it needs saying. More relevantly, a conversation I was once having in the smokers section was crashed by a large fat girl who proceeded to harp on about how big her boobs were. And after I declined her invitation to touch them, she grabbed my hand and shoved them on her boobs anyway.

That situation described in the article? I've had the exact same thing happen to me, in reverse. And I completely sympathise with the woman in the article. Having someone act on their own sexual impulses without your go-ahead is never cool, and always uncomfortable. But at the same time, you have to deal with these things with a certain amount of pragmatism. Having someone make a clumsy physical pass at you is not the end of the world, and is not worthy of such white-knighting hyperbole as displayed in this thread.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy. As I said, I sympathise with the girl. I'm just saying, can we get a little perspective here? People of both genders go through others making clumsy come-ons at them. Just because a guy wapped out his penis at a girl, that doesn't mean the girl's life is now forever corrupted by the cruel sexual drives of those evil men. The best thing to do in such a situation is get out of there, rejoin your friends, and laugh it off. Too many other incidences end with far worse outcomes for something like this to be labelled as the crime of the century. It was, at the end of the day, a clumsy attempt by a pathetic guy to get with a girl obviously well out of his league. Why can't we just accept that, without making the girl into some martyr for the feminist cause?

Fetzenfisch:
A drunk guy at a party pulled his dick out. CALL THE NEWS!!! Also on CNN tonight: Icecream is not a vegetable. Warn your kids about it.
PAX is a nerdy event, but have you really never ever left your home that some of you consider this to be a big thing? (no pun intended). Sure the guy was a dick, but its not like he was beating her up or anything, she could just leave the area, talk to other people around her, defend herself or not visit a mass event during soxial anxiety attacks.

I think it's more the fact that he forceably made her touch it that's the issue. Seeing one, fine, it's still considered assault if they whip it out and wave it at you, but pretty much everyone has had it done at some point.

Also, pretty much every girl has been sexually assaulted to some degree. I'm not even much of a drinker or partier, but even at retail jobs when I was younger, I'd have men grab me and tell me I'm good looking or some crap like that. Or simply grab my hands and tell me I"m pretty without letting me step away from them. That's still assault. Or I've been waiting at a bus stop and had drunks say awful things. It's happened to everyone.

However, I have never had someone go as far as to do what that poor girl had done to her. It's just not ok, and any level of assault is really horrible.

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"

Holy shit, my sides.

Ahhhh, you and me friend, we'll both go to hell together

OT: That's.... unfortunate. Despite the funny, it's still pretty disappointing that this would happen at a gaming convention made for the community.

Edit: 1000th post! Hooray.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
snip

Actually. This. Your post is a far more eloquent and intelligent way of putting forward what I was trying to say.

I figured out why these types of threads are so depressing. It's because everyone in these threads gets outraged and morally offended but nothing happens. Worse is that a month from now people will completely forget about this incident until the next outrage happens.

The escapist has this amazing pattern in these threads where its:

1. Horrible thing happens

2. Outrage and personal stories

3. Time passes and everything is quiet, nothing changes.

4. Another horrible incident happens.

5. Outrage and personal stories

6. etc etc repeated forever.

Azuaron:

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"

Holy shit, my sides.

Seriously? Your response to sexual assault is "that's hilarious"?

I think I'm going to instead believe that you just got back from boxing, and quoted that by accident.

Some people on the internet have a different way of viewing things.

His laughing isn't hurting anyone is it?

We need to get over this crap and deal with it.

OT: Damn that sucks, great security at PAX I see... I thought the Elite from Comic Con were douches...

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

Holy shit, my sides.

No kidding, I know this is supposed to be a serious topic, but reading that just made me burst out laughing.

The only question I want answered.

.... was it big enough?

LOL

Why would anyone actually say that? That's some serious self esteem issues right there. If they find out who he was, he'd going to be one embarrassed guy... Can't wait.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here