Notch Tweets Rage Over Minecraft Party Sexual Assault

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

NightowlM:

DugMachine:

Boudica:
He's presuming to know what something is like when he has no way of even fathoming it. How he thinks he feels has no bearing on reality. You can think and imagine all you want, but if you don't have the experience, your words are hollow and empty.

Your experience is not universal, get over yourself.

Hahaha Telling sexual assault victims to get over themselves. Hillarious. No really fuck you. And really, fuck all you people trying to minimize this and blame the victim. Fuck off with you're fucking bullshit. If we just removed you assholes in these forums we wouldn't have huge flame wars at the mere mention of sexism/misogyny.

Come off that high horse there. I never blamed the victim, if this story is true then the guy is a fucking creep and I hope he gets caught if he pulls this shit again. I said, one sexual assault victims experience is not universal which is why I told Boudica to get over herself and that notion, not her experience with whatever the fuck happened to her. Way to put words in my mouth lol.

I usually don't see Notch as a good individual despite being a great successor behind Minecraft, but for him to take this as a huge deal and trying to find the culprit- props to him. I also read some of these posts... sexual harassment isn't funny. I can't even justify why it's not funny but I will just leave it at that. Again props to you Notch.

Oh and hire new bodyguards.

Entitled:
So, do what? Let's just be more strict with male rapists and more protective of female victims, because they are more likely to be emotionally hurt? Or accept that the same non-consensual acts should be punished based on how much fuss the victim chooses to make afterwards, instead of any objective criteria (e.g: genital-touching is bad)?

Is talking going to do much anything about it? No, it's just gonna incite knee-jerk emotional reactions with little, if any logic involved. Not saying it's right, just saying it's a likely result.

The guy was a creep, no doubt about it.

The girl admits that she kept talking him up so I think this is a bit of a fable about getting drunk.

The guy must of been very drunk or insane
also my flame war senses are tingling so

StriderShinryu:
Disgusting situation all around (this thread included). Also, as someone who works in the security industry, I find the reported actions of the guard on site extra sickening. It's garbage like this that makes the entire industry look bad.

My friend's best friend got beaten up at a party once. Security didn't do anything about it. Turns out he was being beaten up by the bouncer who was JEALOUS THAT HE WAS DATING HIS EX GIRLFRIEND.

You're absolutely right about it making the industry look bad, but honestly, I'm willing to think its more a situation that assholes are assholes and need to be fired and find another job. The industry shouldn't even concern itself with bad apples. Just fire them, revoke their licenses, and make them leave if they pull such bullshit. ...sad thing is, the bouncer is still working today, even after hospitalizing the poor guy that did nothing wrong. Eurgh.

...sorry, tangential as hell, thought I'd share anyway.

hooksashands:
Lol..moralfag.

I love how you called someone a "moralfag" while being the person who had the biggest hardon for the security guard to "look inside of his grinch-like heart" and apparently, "do his job".

The Plunk:

"You have a different opinion from me because you are not automatically sympathetic to people that claim to have been sexually assaulted, therefore you should be raped."

Wow, I'm really quite impressed. Hypocritical moralfags usually have much worse spelling than this.

"moralfag"?......

I can't think of any context or use of that word that doesnt make the person using seem like a complete twat/worst person ever

Ah. This thread.
I need to bathe in hand sanitizer burning hydrazine.

She must be young an innocent still. She's yet to learn the best way to deal with situations like this is to deliver a strong, sharp punch directly down on top of his cock!

I guarantee he will never do that again.

chadachada123:

Azuaron:

Rocklobster99:

Holy shit, my sides.

Seriously? Your response to sexual assault is "that's hilarious"?

I think I'm going to instead believe that you just got back from boxing, and quoted that by accident.

You're responding to the guy with a stereotypical blackface profile picture. Do you really think he's taking the story seriously?

As for me, that part of the story is pretty damn funny, though the conclusion is, unfortunately, not so funny.

I do feel as though there's a bit of a double-standard, here, though. If a drunk woman grabbed a guy's hand and shoved it into her crotch or boobs, he'd get the same response from the security guard but would almost certainly not get a news story or support from Notch himself, even if he was just as hurt.

You don't know that.

Trilligan:
So many new and exciting ways to downplay sexual assault, blame the victim, and show solidarity for a creeper.

Way to go, guys. Fantastic job you're doing, showing how gamer culture totally doesn't have problems with sexism.

It's very true. Self-professed Gamers™ never fail to depress me.

Also makes me wonder for how much longer games will be mired in this kind of entitled guy culture. And sadly enough, I suspect it will persist for as long as guy culture is tolerated in any context.

ServebotFrank:

I knew it was too much to hope that no one pulled the Double Standard card.

C'Mon, by this point in the thread, we'd already had a "she was asking for it" card on the field.

Wow... I'm totally surprised. Going by the first page I thought this thread was just going to be a sort of mob mentality type of thread, but there's actually a lot of interesting talking points being put forth into this discussion.

Impressive.

The Plunk:

blalien:
I am getting more and more fed up with the Escapist community with every post about sexual assault getting more jokes than anger in response.

Rainboq:

Rocklobster99:

Holy shit, my sides.

Sexual assault is not funny, not in the slightest. If you find it as such, you either have a very very dark sense or you're a mysoginist (if you only view it as funny if the woman is the recipient).

Yes, it's a good thing that political correctness is able to turn back time and undo terrible events. Oh wait.

Seeing as the girl who was assaulted made several jokes on her blog about the incident, you would think that this sort of white-knighting would be unnecessary. But, no, the morality police come out in full force, as usual.

Political correctness has done more than schadenfreude will ever do. And what exactly do you mean by white knighting?

Lumber Barber:

Rainboq:

Sexual assault is not funny, not in the slightest. If you find it as such, you either have a very very dark sense or you're a mysoginist (if you only view it as funny if the woman is the recipient).

Oh I'm sorry, my almighty god of Comedy! Tell me, what else is factually not funny and makes me a bad person if I laugh at it?

It's a pretty sad situation, but what exactly is expected of the guard? Arrest all the Asian men in the area?

The guard could have sealed it, called the party to a halt and had the men form a lineup and have her pick out the guy, or seal the place and call the police. Doing nothing was the absolutely worst thing he could have done.

And not a bad person, just someone with terrible taste.

Combine Rustler:
Ah. This thread.
I need to bathe in hand sanitizer burning hydrazine.

I don't think that's safe.

Rainboq:

Lumber Barber:

Rainboq:

Oh I'm sorry, my almighty god of Comedy! Tell me, what else is factually not funny and makes me a bad person if I laugh at it?

It's a pretty sad situation, but what exactly is expected of the guard? Arrest all the Asian men in the area?

The guard could have sealed it, called the party to a halt and had the men form a lineup and have her pick out the guy, or seal the place and call the police. Doing nothing was the absolutely worst thing he could have done.

You do realize that a security guard does not have the authority to seal Pax for any reason other than murder or terrorist actions right? Even then the only people who really can seal the place is the police. As stated before in the thread, quite a bit of time had passed since the incident, her and her friends were intoxicated, and there was absolutely no evidence. The guard could not do anything, at all. At best he could have told her to file a police report because he didn't have the authority to do anything.

charge52:

Rainboq:

Lumber Barber:

You do realize that a security guard does not have the authority to seal Pax for any reason other than murder or terrorist actions right? Even then the only people who really can seal the place is the police. As stated before in the thread, quite a bit of time had passed since the incident, her and her friends were intoxicated, and there was absolutely no evidence. The guard could not do anything, at all. At best he could have told her to file a police report because he didn't have the authority to do anything.

It was not at PAX. It was a private party hosted by Mojang, and "We had a sexual assault, so shut up" seems like a good reason to seal the place.

Rainboq:

charge52:

Rainboq:

It was not at PAX. It was a private party hosted by Mojang, and "We had a sexual assault, so shut up" seems like a good reason to seal the place.

Read the original post again, "The Minecraft Party that was part of the festivities at PAX Prime". That sounds to me like it was at PAX. Despite what you might think, a security guard cannot seal the place because a group of intoxicated females tell him about sexual assault quite a while after it happened.

charge52:

Rainboq:

charge52:

Read the original post again, "The Minecraft Party that was part of the festivities at PAX Prime". That sounds to me like it was at PAX. Despite what you might think, a security guard cannot seal the place because a group of intoxicated females tell him about sexual assault quite a while after it happened.

Go read the original story. And yes, yes he could have, because refusing to do so could be considered criminal negligence.

Rainboq:

charge52:

Rainboq:

Go read the original story. And yes, yes he could have, because refusing to do so could be considered criminal negligence.

Hey look I read it again, it still says it was at PAX. He does not have the authority to seal an entire building of that size after so much time had passed, chances are the offender had already left. He also couldn't have refused, as no one told him to. You know, I may not have gone to law school, but I'm pretty sure it isn't considered criminal negligence if a security guard doesn't do something that he doesn't have the authority to do.

charge52:

Rainboq:

charge52:

Hey look I read it again, it still says it was at PAX. He does not have the authority to seal an entire building of that size after so much time had passed, chances are the offender had already left. He also couldn't have refused, as no one told him to. You know, I may not have gone to law school, but I'm pretty sure it isn't considered criminal negligence if a security guard doesn't do something that he doesn't have the authority to do.

Not the article, the original blog post by the woman, it was clearly not part of the official PAX venue. And yes he did have the authority and criminal negligence is defined as failing to act in some way that would prevent a crime or an arrest.

*sigh* this is not sexual assault, no more then somebody who got caught peeing on the side of a building isa a child molester because a child might have seen his or her "bits".

Unwelcomed inproper sexual contact: yes. Assault , fuck no and it insults all whom are real victims of sexual assault!

Murmillos:
*sigh* this is not sexual assault, no more then somebody who got caught peeing on the side of a building isa a child molester because a child might have seen his or her "bits".

Unwelcomed inproper sexual contact: yes. Assault , fuck no and it insults all whom are real victims of sexual assault!

Technically, groping is classified under sexual assault and is a very mild form of so far as the law is concerned.

Rainboq:

charge52:

Rainboq:

Not the article, the original blog post by the woman, it was clearly not part of the official PAX venue. And yes he did have the authority and criminal negligence is defined as failing to act in some way that would prevent a crime or an arrest.

Ah, thank you, I assumed the Escapist would have pointed the fact out in their article at some point. However, the blog also pointed out that she told a guard 30 minutes after it happened, and near the end of the party. The chances the guy was still there was minimal, and there was no point in sealing off a building to catch a guy who is either A. Gone B. Won't be found because the girl might not recognize him since she was intoxicated, or C. Might not have actually done anything. The guard had no evidence other than the word of a drunk party goer. You can't seal off a building with absolutely no evidence that a crime has been committed, at most you can walk around the area making sure it doesn't happen again, or decide to install more cameras. If you can provide me something that says the guard had evidence that would justify the sealing off of the building, than I would really love to hear it.

Murmillos:

Actually this is sexual assault, it is a low form and not as bad as Rape, but it still actually counts.

charge52:

Murmillos:

Actually this is sexual assault, it is a low form and not as bad as Rape, but it still actually counts.

Correction, it's a drunk girl claiming to have been the victim of a sexual assault. There's no witnesses nor any kind of proof beyond her word. There is frankly nothing anyone can do about this without setting the precedence that women can just get anyone thrown out on their arse anywhere with nothing but their word.

Deviate:

charge52:

Murmillos:

Correction, it's a drunk girl claiming to have been the victim of a sexual assault. There's no witnesses nor any kind of proof beyond her word. There is frankly nothing anyone can do about this without setting the precedence that women can just get anyone thrown out on their arse anywhere with nothing but their word.

True, but my point was more to him claiming that it wasn't sexual assault at all, than whether or not it happened.

charge52:
Snippage

Granted, of course. It's just a bit amusing to see half the Escapist pile on this guy as the god damn antichrist without there being even a hint of proof anywhere of this having actually happened. I wonder what happened to healthy skepticism of what you read on the internet.

And yes, I am in fact the sexiest person on the planet and I routinely wrestle bears for fun and profit.

Why is that when a woman is distressed, all sense goes out the window?

The thing that pisses me off is that you people are getting assed up over a person who may or may not exist. All we know is that the alleged "assaulter" is supposedly an Asian man. Do you have any idea of how many people are observably Asian men? This shit is exactly why I think it's best for people, who were allegedly sexually assaulted, to shut the fuck up and just let a professional law enforcement officer handle this situation. If the cops don't help you, then tough shit. What we don't need are fucking vigilantes accosting Asain men based on a intoxicated woman's claim.

Did anyone stop and think that if the security guard actually followed up on this intoxicated person's claim that she might point out the wrong person?

<edit> I'm suspicious of the legitimacy of her story. The race baiting bullshit is really questionable. There are several red flags throughout what has been reported.

Deviate:

charge52:
Snippage

Granted, of course. It's just a bit amusing to see half the Escapist pile on this guy as the god damn antichrist without there being even a hint of proof anywhere of this having actually happened. I wonder what happened to healthy skepticism of what you read on the internet.

And yes, I am in fact the sexiest person on the planet and I routinely wrestle bears for fun and profit.

It is rather amusing isn't it, kinda makes me want to get a drink just so I can spit take at some of the comments. I think the skepticism kinda just disappeared. Maybe we missed out on when someone bribed everyone to stop being smart so that the internet will be more amusing.
Someones gotta wrestle them bears, else they'll think we gone soft and declare war.

I do find it a bit hard to believe.

Alone in the VIP section?

... I'm not sure that's how VIP sections work, but, okay, sure.

I mean, I'm sure we must have a camera or something watching the door, so, can't be that hard to find out who the accused is, it's literally just "The person that walked in after that girl".

Also, not sure why there were no camera in the section itself...

Maybe it's "The kind of place".

And then we have the "Drunk Asian Man" Who apparently caused so much shock the women completely forgot how to describe him and took an unspecified amount of time to realize she'd be "Sexually assaulted".

And then to complete the trio of unfortunate circumstances, the security guard didn't believe her.

This makes the least sense to me.

Look at the reactions this thread had caused simply from hearing it in the first pass.

It seems very unlikely to me that a security guard would just shrug it off when, surely they must have a damn camera there to check.

Added to that, if you've already come this far and decided you've been sexually assaulted, why would you then just give up after talking to some random security guard? You'd call the cops, talk to somebody higher, not just "Go home and post it on the internet".

It seems too improbable to me. If there's footage of it that gets discovered or some guy comes forward and confesses, then fine.

But, it seems too much of a vague story of unfortunate turns of events to hold any weight to it.

Rocklobster99:

Andy Chalk:

"Then he grabbed my free wrist and put it on his crotch and asked 'Is this big enough?'"

Holy shit, my sides.

Ladies, and I'm speaking as a guy here, if someone did that to you and you don't like it, know all too well that you now literally have the fate of his manhood in your grasp.

Boudica:

Therumancer:
But hey, that's parties.

The single sickest, saddest comment I've ever seen on this site.

Since you seem to be at the core of a lot of criticism I've received, and seem pretty smart from a lot of things I've seen you write (even if we're on totally opposite end of the spectrum on political and social beliefs it seems) I'll put it another way:

If you were in this situation how would YOU handle it.

You take the girl's word for it without any kind of proof, and what's going to happen is at the very best your going to get a repremand, in all likelyhood your going to get fired. The reason is quite simple, you call in a bunch of security and remove a guy from the party your going to make a scene, and not only risk the hosts wanting their money back, but also a situation where this guy can potentially go after your boss for harassment. Remember you've got nothing on this guy, for all you know this is some girl he just dumped and she's pissed and trying to get back at him, people try and use security and similar groups as tools in situations like this all the time.

If you actually see something, or get a pattern of complaints, that's differant, and as I believe I pointed out your probably going to make note of the guy, watch what he does a little bit, and see if there are any other complaints about him.

Like it or not you can't jump blindly into every complaint of mild sexual harassment like gangbusters, and if YOU paid for the location and security and we ruined a big part of it by walking this guy out (which probably means causing problems with any friends he's with as well) given a complete lack of proof, you'd probably be POed. It's one thing to sit here detached from the situationa and say "I'd do this" or "I'd want it to happen that way" after the fact, but when your actually there it's far differant. What's more you wouldn't want security to act on you based on what might be a baseless complaint, would you want a guy you just dumped to claim you stuffed his hand down your pants or whatever and see you walked out purely on his say so without any proof of observation? That's exactly what this is.

I'm not a troll, and while cynical, I did do exactly this kind of thing for 10 years involving parties, nightclubs, and crap going on in hotel rooms you wouldn't believe due to everything attached to the casino (though for the most part security is quiet and boring to be honest). What's more, I know if you were actually there you would have done exactly the same thing this security guy did. Doing the job and pointing fingers at someone are two entirely differant things.

Of course to be cynical to an extent the security guy is doing his job right now, since really when you get down to it security's job is to hold up a uniform and take the blame for what goes wrong. It can be argued that acting as a liability/blame shield for his boss and a cross departmental scapegoat is kind of the point at a fundemental level.

See, the thing to understand is that security has no real authority, even on an Indian reservation where we could have potentially taken people into a back room and beat them with rubber hoses for lulz given the right policies, Security is basically a deterrant and doesn't have any real police authority. Ultimatly you act as a representitive of the property owner, but only with whatever authority the property owner gives you via his own internal policies, which usually involves having anything substantial being handled at a higher level. Meaning as security you basically walk around with a radio and maybe stand in front of people, you generally can't grab people and toss them around, you have no authority to confine/arrest people, or anything else. Anything you can do is usually 100% situational.

Part of the logic for this is of course rather cynical as well, see a casino or other business would rather occasionally deal with a few lawsuits for things gone wrong, and blame security, or even in the case of a casino lose a few million dollars in insured money (in real life not that much is on site) than deal with 10x that in lawsuits from people being handled without proof, not to mention the bad reputation, since nobody wants to go to a business where they risk being handled by thugs.

Now of course there are more than a few things I'm NOT saying here, but that's the basics of security operations and the idea of deterrant based non-authority.

You might not like this, but that's how a general security guard should have handled the situation. Had they actually seen this, or if there were witnesses other than a he said vs. she said situation, things might be a bit differant. If you expect hotel security (which isn't even Casino security in this case) that probably doesn't even have Tribal employment to fall back on, to goonishly grab the guy and skid him face first out onto the aphshalt, or take him into a back room and unceremoniously start popping his fingernails with a flat head screwdriver, then you've seen too many Hollywood versions of this. Stop and think about you being on the potential receiving end of this, and you'll understand why.

That said there are some security departments you really, really, do not want to genuinely piss off (which is beyond the context of this kind of incident).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here