Smegging Hell! Here's the Poster for Red Dwarf X

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Smegging Hell! Here's the Poster for Red Dwarf X

Everybody's still dead, Dave.

Irreverent and utterly brilliant English Sci-fi comedy, Red Dwarf, will return to British televisions on October 4th. Series ten will run for six episodes and reunites the original cast, sans the ever-unpopular Kochanski.

The series will be premiering on Dave, which is a television channel by the way, but word has it'll be airing on PBS in the States the same day, though that's yet to be confirmed. The series was announced in April of last year, and principle filming began in December.

A trailer for the new series is available on Dave's website.

The poster itself looks exactly how a Red Dwarf poster should look: slightly cheap and just a little bit naff. The cast themselves are looking a little worse for wear - Craig Charles' lined jowls aren't exactly a testament to the rejuvenating properties of crack cocaine - but it has been nearly a quarter of a century since the show first aired.

According to those who've seen the show's scripts, Series Ten closely resembles the first few seasons of the show in their focus on isolation, absurdity and often surprisingly "hard Sci-fi" concepts.

You may now begin the traditional "it is/isn't better than Doctor Who" arguments.

Source: IGN

I can't say if it's better than Dr Who, as Dr Who is a sci fi show, whereas I agree with the writers when they say Red Dwarf is a 'sitcom that happens to be set in space'.

Let's just hope it's better than the mini series bit, that was kind of a disappointment.

What's next?

Babylon 5 and Lexx?

oh. my. god.
I CAN'T WAIT!!! YAY!!!!
They've put on a few years though. Oh well.

Kryton looks like he could get a job at Gringotts

I always felt that the concept was better than the execution

but that said I only ever saw a little of the first series

Vault101:
I always felt that the concept was better than the execution

but that said I only ever saw a little of the first series

Series 1? Otherwise known as the series Rob Grant refused to allow to be repeated?
Yeah, try a different series xD

/facepalm

Oh god why.

This was such a series of it's time... just let it die with dignity. :(

Now... here's something that's bothering me.

Was there a season 9? Or do they just consider Back To Earth as the 9th season?

I haven't seen anything else other than Season 8 and Back To Earth.

Back to Earth was series 9.

Ironically I was watching the series again today and was doing a little snooping on IMDB when I saw the 2012 tag and the episode names listed there. I just hope they show it on the only PBS station I get on my TV package.

Quiotu:

They decided to skip season 9, likely due to many of its events being referenced in 'Back to Earth', such as Kochanski supposedly dying, but in the end just running away.
Back to Earth itself was a standalone set of episodes set after Season 9, but before Season X.

OT:
Smegging hell, its about time. And I remember reading September, not October, but oh well. Now time to find out if Dave streams online, and if it'll let me watch its streaming in Australia. If not, I'm sure some episodes will be up elsewhere reasonably quickly, so I'll watch it there instead if need be.

Man they look old.

Well, except for Kryten I suppose. :)

I haven't seen the trailer yet, is there a new person for Holly or is Hayridge returning? (From my understanding Lovett recently said he's not interested in returning.)

I just wonder what they can do with the storyline in this season that hasn't already been done in the show!

I don't go rating sci-fi shows like that, mate. That way lies the madness, and not even the good-and-fun madness. You either like it or you don't. Me? I like it.

--

Hungry Donner:
Man they look old.

I haven't seen the trailer yet, is there a new person for Holly or is Hayridge returning? (From my understanding Lovett recently said he's not interested in returning.)

Well when series 1 came out I was still in school now I'm six months short of 40. The tag line should be you are over 50 Dave. Don't know who is going to be playing Holly, there has been no information on that. Lovett is know to be quite diffcult, but Hattie mainly writes these days. You never know there could be a third (ok to be precise fourth actor) to play Holly.

Rimmer: "Do you think it's because the sub-space conduits have locked with the transponder calibrations and caused a major tachyon surge that has overloaded the time matrix?"
Kryten: "Ah, no, sir. I've just been jabbing it too hard."

If there are more fantastic lines like that then this series is going to be as good as the old ones

I dunno- it sort of bums me a bit that they got back to Red Dwarf- I found the fewer characters in it the better written it was. But no Kochanski? Whaa? Chloe Anett was the neurotic bomb in series 7! Actually call me crazy but VII was my favourite series all round. Yep, even more than 6.

I just hope that if and when the show finally does end for good, they will have made it back to Earth at last.

Oh smeg, new series!

albino boo:

Hungry Donner:
Man they look old.

Well when series 1 came out I was still in school now I'm six months short of 40. The tag line should be you are over 50 Dave. Don't know who is going to be playing Holly, there has been no information on that. Lovett is know to be quite diffcult, but Hattie mainly writes these days. You never know there could be a third (ok to be precise fourth actor) to play Holly.

Ahh see I was just going to post that very question. I hope they get Lovett.

Tanis:
What's next? Babylon 5 and Lexx?

I dunno what a Lexx is, but for any rumors of a new incarnation of B5, I must refer you to the "Not Going to Happen" file. The central conflict took at least 5 years to unfold. Once that was resolved, the only tension that remained was in the new captain's exercise machine. The remaining milleu wasn't particularly interesting.

I'd rather have a Blake's 7 reboot, than suffer through season 1 of a show where the writers don't understand their characters yet. Yes, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I have to admit that I was disappointed by the trailer... Here's hoping the rest of the series lives up to the originals though.

Woo hoo! :D

I've recently rewatched the entire series in anticipation for the new series, and I seem to have forgotten how funny it was! Can't wait!

I'm just gonna go out and say it - Chris Barrie has not aged gracefully if that poster's anything to go by. After subjecting myself to horrible Back to Earth (which I guess now counts as series 9?), I don't think I'm even going to bother with this. If I'm really, really bored I might take a peek at one episode, but for now I'm just going to find solace in the fact that there are 6 perfectly fine series I can rewatch with great fondness, which means that (for the time being) most of Red Dwarf is still more entertaining than Rimmer's infamous Risk story.

I can see Red Dwarf in the background there, are they going back to using models?

That would be kinda cool.

In any case I can't imagine this new series being any worse than series eight so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

King Billi:
I can see Red Dwarf in the background there, are they going back to using models?

That would be kinda cool.

In any case I can't imagine this new series being any worse than series eight so I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

I saw a model posted on their facebook page, so I'm guessing yes.

Here's hoping it's better than "Back to earth".

Also, forget lister, Rimmer's getting on a bit, and that should canonically be impossible seeing as he's a Hologram.

Going by the look of things this will be series seven for me as anything after the sixth was... well, to be harsh; fucking shit.

Squilookle:
But no Kochanski? Whaa? Chloe Anett was the neurotic bomb in series 7! Actually call me crazy but VII was my favourite series all round.

You. You are the problem with the world! Seek medical help. This is the real Korchanski.

:P

Doclector:
Also, forget lister, Rimmer's getting on a bit, and that should canonically be impossible seeing as he's a Hologram.

Aged by Holly to make Lister feel more comfortable with his own humanity?

No idea. Doesn't really matter, it's cheese!

Quiotu:

quick see something else, any other series, 8 was shocking and no-one (probably including everyone involved in the making of it) acknowledges Back to Earth!

As long the new series is good than all is well. (I'm really hoping that it's will be good!)

GoaThief:

Doclector:

Aged by Holly to make Lister feel more comfortable with his own humanity?

No idea. Doesn't really matter, it's cheese!

I actually hope that's true now, just to see Rimmer's reaction.

Ace Rimmer better make an appearance. That would be so great.

"What have you been up to sir?"
"Nothing much, Saved a couple of Galaxies, Overthrew a few dictatorships and had my highlights done."

Smaoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

"The trailer you are trying to watch can't accessed from your location."

Heaven's forbid I be allowed to submit myself to advertising outside my geographic region! I guess I shan't be watching this series now!

:( Cat looks near dead there! Poor Danny John-Jules... talking of Danny John-Jules... when is there going to be a new Gex game!? I miss his quips!

OT: Am looking forward to this... hopefully they can make it the last series and then round it off nicely... :)
Not give a vicar of Dibly ending though... that could have been so much more! :/

Moonlight Butterfly:
/facepalm

Oh god why.

This was such a series of it's time... just let it die with dignity. :(

Pffft, too late for that. The latter half of series 8 and the entirety of series 9 already killed Red Dwarf, desecrated the corpse, and danced on the grave.

We're in the weird position of Red Dwarf not being able to possibly get any shitter if it tried. So, although reassembling an ageing cast to milk a few more drops out of a thoroughly jumped-the-shark franchise would in any other circumstances be a bad idea, in this case I think they have an odds-on chance of actually pulling it off. In other words, there's nothing to lose.

And if all else fails, we'll still have those glorious first 6 seasons, and we can drink ourselves into a stupor trying to forget what came after.

Smeg!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or