EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

EA Labels President Frank Gibeau boasts that Electronic Arts no longer develops any games as single-player experiences.

Electronic Arts has made a lot of noise about the interconnected, digital future of videogames, and how the growth of the industry will come mainly via mobile devices, smart TVs and the cloud. Even so, recent comments by EA Labels President Frank Gibeau in the "Cloud Gaming Prospects for 2012" report are bold, to say the least. As he explains it, the publisher has effectively turned its back on single-player-only experiences, as it moves to make everything connected and online.

"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers," Gibeau said. "I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365."

To be fair to EA, that doesn't mean it's abandoning single-player, just that nothing is being made that can't support a multiplayer component, Facebook tie-in and/or whatever else the company can pile onto it. Thus we end up with things like Dead Space 3, which has evolved from a solo horror experience to a co-op shooter, or the Galactic Readiness gong show of Mass Effect 3, or Dragon Age Legends on Facebook. Single-player is still there, it's just no longer the focus, and won't be in the future.

"FIFA is a perfect example - available across 12 different platforms, FIFA fans can check their standings on their mobile device or tablet, manipulate their teams on Facebook or play an immersive game of FIFA on their PC or console. Everything is connected so the user can pick up just where they left off from anywhere," Gibeau explained. "We're deploying similar experiences in our other popular brands over the next year including Madden, Battlefield and SimCity and you'll continue to see more and more of this from EA."

Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Source: Cloud Gaming Prospects for 2012, via Superannuation

Oh god.

Fuck off EA.

Seriously.

Yeah, we noticed.
Good luck with Dragon Age 3

Can EA just die already? Please?

And they've finally come out and said it.
I've only one thing to say:

seditary:
Oh god.

Fuck off.

Seriously.

What he said.

I read EA turns back to single player games and i was pleasently surprised...

Words fail me

EA might as well just make a statement going "We're not going to make any games anymore that aren't either mindless casual cash-ins or hardcore gamer cash-ins"

"Single Player games can't hold up in today's market"

Oh I'm sorry, how many copies of Skyrim sold? and are still selling?

seditary:
Oh god.

Fuck off EA.

Seriously.

And the first post nails it!

God I cant wait till EA, and apparently Mr. gib-something, burns in hell

Darn I just posted this article too! As for EA future games, well I just have no interest in crap multi-player being tacked on. Its funny that Cory Davis from spec ops: the line pretty much called it. Tacked on multiplayer hurts resources from a great single player experience and is becoming a cancerous growth.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119332-Spec-Ops-Multiplayer-Is-a-Cancerous-Growth

So, can I pull out the "gaming is fucking dying" and "gaming was better in the old days" cards yet? I've been calling it for some time now and it's getting hilariously true... no wait, that's 'sadly' true.

Seriously, WHAT?

WHAT?

EA are you TRYING to run yourself out of business?!

I especially love how he's so upbeat about it. Like it's a GOOD thing.

I mostly only play Single player games. Why would I buy your products? This MAKES NO SENSE!

Seriously, I think, more than anything this show how out of touch EA is.

Multiplayer experiences can be fun, but I still enjoy sitting down with a solid, single-player game. Darksiders 2 and Skyrim are currently my faves, but I'd hate to not have had God of War, Uncharted, Batman, the original Dead Space, etc etc etc.

Now if all they're saying is that they'll bolt on some sort of social bit - sort of like the gear trading you can do in Darksiders - then I'm not quite ready to grab my torch and pitchfork. If they're saying the future is nothing but Battlefield 3 experiences, then maybe I need to head over to Lowe's.

That's fine EA, I turned my back on you some time ago.

This makes my head hurt.

... Mostly because I just got up and banged it against the wall over and over and over.

Fuck off, EA. Fuck right off. Nobody likes you and we hope you die.

Yet another reason to add to the pile of reasons to ignore anything EA has a hand in. Although admittedly I mentally scrubbed them after Battlefield 3, so really this does not directly influence any of my future purchasing decisions. It does reinforce them, however.

Believe it or not EA some people still have archaic internet, or dare I say, no internet at all.

Way to ostracize a decently sized portion of your market.

So basically, they intend to cram micro-transaction into EVERYTHING!

EA's disconnected from reality certainly. What makes it sad is that the combination of their exclusive licensing and aggressive marketing means a majority of users will just go with it.

It's a shame, it already damaged Mass Effect 3, it's probably going to damage Dead Space Part 3. It will damage Battlefield 3 when they pull the plug on support for it (See Bad Company/BC2) and people will keep buying it, because they're stupid.

Ah well, Planetside 2, Black Mesa Source, World of Warplanes and Natural Selection 2 are coming, you now have no excuse to buy an EA made shooter ever again!

EA; I am trying to love you, stop making it impossible.

Ah well, I guess I can either take this as...

1. The ramblings of a mad man.

2. Dragon Age will finally have some multiplayer. Which I am actually cool with, like in the old Baldur's Gate days (Very soon to be the new BG days again).

Hey guys, at least they are admitting this is their strategy now.

But for real... I thought Bethesda proved single player exclusive games still sell.

Silly EA.

:(

"yeah, i really want multiplayer on DA3!"

-nobody.

there is nothing worse then a use MP component that nobody likes, because you wasted money, time and effort in making it.

Grouchy Imp:
Yet another reason to add to the pile of reasons to ignore anything EA has a hand in. Although admittedly I mentally scrubbed them after Battlefield 3, so really this does not directly influence any of my future purchasing decisions. It does reinforce them, however.

Damn you reminded me of Battlefield 3...

The fuck EA? Seriously?

Fuck you then > > I may very well not bother with the new Medal of Honor now, seems like it'll have a 3 hour campaign and require me to use fucking facebook as well as battlelog.

Hark my lords and ladies doth thou hearest what I hear?
Zoons! It seemseth that it is EA plummeting from the heavens like Lucifer!

Egads they seem to not be noticing such a shame
Spot of tea?

Secuirty Check?
BACK TRACK! EA might want to do that.

As long as the "connected" aspect is optional, I don't care. I'll pick and choose which games to buy as usual.

fix-the-spade:
So basically, they intend to cram micro-transaction into EVERYTHING!

EA's disconnected from reality certainly. What makes it sad is that the combination of their exclusive licensing and aggressive marketing means a majority of users will just go with it.

It's a shame, it already damaged Mass Effect 3, it's probably going to damage Dead Space Part 3. It will damage Battlefield 3 when they pull the plug on support for it (See Bad Company/BC2) and people will keep buying it, because they're stupid.

Ah well, Planetside 2, Black Mesa Source, World of Warplanes and Natural Selection 2 are coming, you now have no excuse to buy an EA made shooter ever again!

The day they pull the plug on Bad Company 2 is the day I stop playing any games EA have made. It's the only one left that I can be bothered with.

You know what? I don't want a Mirror's Edge sequel EA. Because you'll probably just shoe-horn in some multiplayer component and turn it into yet another shooter in an attempt to appeal to a "broader audience".

Mortamus:
"Single Player games can't hold up in today's market"

Oh I'm sorry, how many copies of Skyrim sold? and are still selling?

Also Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Because that was what made Dead Space 2 the run-away hit that it was right?

Ah well, I had already written off Dead Space 3 and Dragon Age 3 as a loss, so there's nothing EA's shilling that i'm interested in now. Do what ever EA. I will continue to not care.

Zburator:

2. Dragon Age will finally have some multiplayer. Which I am actually cool with, like in the old Baldur's Gate days (Very soon to be the new BG days again).

You just know it's gonna be death match/horde mode or some shit. Doing the thing that makes sense for the property is expecting too much from EA.

Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.

When I looked at the header I thought they've gave up on single-player way before that, guess I stand corrected.

What is this bullshit though?

I love games, don't get me know, but I don't think I'd like to be connected to a single game all the time.

Good, good, I for one can't wait for all the high quality games that will be released from the bowels of EA.

well ....

there's even less reason for me to buy from EA, *looks at that list* .... i need to start on a new wall it seems ...

Krantos:

Seriously, WHAT?

WHAT?

EA are you TRYING to run yourself out of business?!

They won't run themselves out of business. They'll just run beloved franchises into the ground by forcing studios to waste time, effort, and money on superfluous multiplayer modes that would have been better spent on making the games actually good.

So they'll kill off everything you ever loved about your favorite franchised while they force their studios to develop not based on their own vision but some executives list of bullet points that are necessary for a top selling game. They'll run your favorite studio into the ground and shut them down, all why wondering why they lost the support of their fans.

But they'll always have franchises that make them plenty of money - people will keep buying EA sports games, and the other various cash cows they have.

EA proudly bringing us into the "Paint by the numbers" age of game development.

Oh yes EA, because as we've seen single player games have never sold. Ever. IN the history of gaming no one has ever brought a single player game. And they never will.

I say this on a lot of EA news but DEAR GOD EA YOU HAVE THE WORST PR DEPARTMENT IN THE HISTORY OF ANY COMPANY.

Monkeys could do a better job.

Captcha: I am captcha!
Yes captcha, yes you are.

*facepalm*

*head desk*

*head desk*

*head desk*

*head desk*

That's it, I'm done.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below: