Love Thy Neighbor's Epic Loot in This Castle-Raiding Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Love Thy Neighbor's Epic Loot in This Castle-Raiding Game

This looks like what would happen if Evil Genius and Orcs Must Die had a bling-obsessed baby.

Here's a challenge for the strategists out there. In Mighty Quest for Epic Loot you design your own castle, complete with monsters and traps, in what looks like a cross between a medieval Evil Genius and Orcs Must Die; then you defend it against your neighbors, who may be bots or online friends. When they cough it - assuming your defenses are up to snuff - you get epic loot. And when not on the defense, you're on offense, raiding nearby castles for fun and yet more epic loot.

"If you're not spending your every waking moment obsessed with the size of your treasure pile," says the official site, "then your neighbors will think something's very wrong with you." The whole thing takes place in Opulencia, a Prestige Feudal Heroism Community where gravity has taken a holiday. The cheerful fellow you see in the trailer is Sir Painhammer, one of the three Unusual Suspects who form the current Community elite; a group which you, as a budding castle-basher, hope one day to join.

There's no confirmed launch date for this yet, but Ubisoft wants to get the show on the road ASAP. Testing begins soon. Meanwhile there's an official site you should have a look at, if you want to learn more.

Source: Joystiq

Well, yet another game for me to be interested in. It reminds me more of Dungeons: Dark Lord than Evil Genius though. But that's just me.

Wow that seems like a Pixar movie, only hope the game is as good as the trailer.

But, what platform(s)??

I'm guessing PC, but honestly it looks like it could be mobile too.

Clarification please.

The game looks quite interesting enough... but Ubisoft?, NO thank you.

that trailer is is lol funny, hope the game can live up to that, i think i rather see a movie based on that :P.

Now that Ubisoft ditched its always-online DRM, this actually looks appealing.

Also i did some digging the game is currently in closed alpha, and seems set to enter closed beta in October.

So... a game that combines my love of underhanded trickery AND obsession with shiny loot?

Welp, since I can't play Borderlands 2, it looks like this just may be in my to-buy list.

Really? Like "a medieval Evil Genius"? Why not just 'Like Dungeon Keeper'? Evil Genius is, after all, the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper which did indeed involve defending a high fantasy dungeon from adventuring invaders.

Still, sounds like good times. Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius has been due for another version for a while now and Dungeons didn't really fill that niche.

JaceArveduin:
So... a game that combines my love of underhanded trickery AND obsession with shiny loot?

Welp, since I can't play Borderlands 2, it looks like this just may be in my to-buy list.

Why no borderlands 2? It's a lootwhores dream just like Diablo.

Falterfire:
Really? Like "a medieval Evil Genius"? Why not just 'Like Dungeon Keeper'? Evil Genius is, after all, the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper which did indeed involve defending a high fantasy dungeon from adventuring invaders.

Still, sounds like good times. Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius has been due for another version for a while now and Dungeons didn't really fill that niche.

Well, there's Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die!, along with many, many other tower defense games. It's not as if there's any shortage of that style of gameplay.

kajinking:

JaceArveduin:

Why no borderlands 2? It's a lootwhores dream just like Diablo.

I know it is, but my CPU's not good enough to run it, I'd basically have to buy a completely new computer, and as a broke college kid, I don't have the cash to spare.

SupahGamuh:
Well, there's Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die!, along with many, many other tower defense games. It's not as if there's any shortage of that style of gameplay.

Eh. In my mind there's a difference between a TowerDefense/FPS like DunDef/OMD! and a base management simulator like Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius. They may share a few surface similarities, but anybody who has played both DunDef and Dungeon Keeper can tell you that play completely differently.

So if this game leans more towards a DungeonKeeper type setup, I will probably be playing lots of it. (NOTE: I loved OMD, I just also would like this sort of game)

SPAMBLOCK NOTE: "Which of these do you get for free with the dish summer sale?" Damned if I know. damned if I care. Why are you even asking me that?

I really liked that trailer, it was funny and to the point.

"This is my big room, and this is my little room!"

What is the Engi from TF2 doing in a castle?..

That was pretty good.

Putting this on my watch list.

It certainly look funny, I definitely want to see more of this!

Looks good. Did anyone else think the voice actor sounded like Captain Quark?

SL33TBL1ND:
Looks good. Did anyone else think the voice actor sounded like Captain Quark?

I was hoping he'd be more like Captain Blasto. Alas, ye can't ressurect the dead now, can we?

Still, trailer was fun to watch.

Loot, you say? I'll have to follow this. I'm quite a big fan of loot.

This looks really cool. The movie they made, not necessarily the game. That remains to be seen.

Still, its the first game that is coming out after Borderlands 2 that has piqued my interest.

It will combine my love of loot and interior/ulterior design.

The "mwa hahahahahahaha" is implied.

That looked really promising until the last paragraph of the article. Ubisoft? Uplay? Fuck off.

The trailer was engaging, to the point and amusing. It would be something I would purchase until I discovered it is being released by Ubisoft.

Trailer seems fun, just gotta wait for some gameplay and I might be sold.

nikki191:
The trailer was engaging, to the point and amusing. It would be something I would purchase until I discovered it is being released by Ubisoft.

octafish:
That looked really promising until the last paragraph of the article. Ubisoft? Uplay? Fuck off.

SupahGamuh:

So what your saying is, rather than play a game you are interested in, for free, you are going to boycott it because you don't like the developer. Which could send the message that people don't want developers making interesting games, and encourage more boring shooters or inevitable Assassin's Creed spin offs that beat the horse to death, revive it, and beat it to death again. Way to act like mature and sensible adults.

charge52:

nikki191:

octafish:

SupahGamuh:

So what your saying is, rather than play a game you are interested in, for free, you are going to boycott it because you don't like the developer. Which could send the message that people don't want developers making interesting games, and encourage more boring shooters or inevitable Assassin's Creed spin offs that beat the horse to death, revive it, and beat it to death again. Way to act like mature and sensible adults.

Life is too short to deal with Ubisoft or GFWL. Why torture yourself?

octafish:

charge52:

nikki191:

octafish:

SupahGamuh:

Life is too short to deal with Ubisoft or GFWL. Why torture yourself?

Ubisoft has dropped it's Draconian DRM policy, and no where is it stated that the game requires GFWL. I can see no way that there is any evidence that it would be torture to play a game you are interested in.

Opulencia?

Clever, very clever.

charge52:

Ubisoft has dropped it's Draconian DRM policy, and no where is it stated that the game requires GFWL. I can see no way that there is any evidence that it would be torture to play a game you are interested in.

To clear, there are two thing that stop me buying a game, the initalism GFWL and the name Ubisoft. If you don't think Ubisoft is torturous you haven't used uPlay.

Is it just me or was the archer a reference to Mordecai from Borderlands?

Kopikatsu:
Well, yet another game for me to be interested in. It reminds me more of Dungeons: Dark Lord than Evil Genius though. But that's just me.

Oh god...Dungeons. Ergh. So much potential. Wasted.

octafish:

charge52:

To clear, there are two thing that stop me buying a game, the initalism GFWL and the name Ubisoft. If you don't think Ubisoft is torturous you haven't used uPlay.

I have used it, it wasn't very difficult. Though perhaps I should just end this argument here, because you are obviously biased against Ubisoft like a bunch of other idiots and your not going to admit that your being stubborn and immature. Now, I was lucky enough to get an Alpha Key, so I'm going to go play a game that I'm interested in, for free, and enjoy it(unless it actually sucks), because I don't let personal bias get in the way of logic.

mmh, looks like I'll get to recreate my tower of Evil from "Overlord" after all.

this pleases me greatly.

Okay, this is probably the only Ubisoft release I have been interested in for the last 5 years.

charge52:

octafish:

charge52:

I have used it, it wasn't very difficult. Though perhaps I should just end this argument here, because you are obviously biased against Ubisoft like a bunch of other idiots and your not going to admit that your being stubborn and immature. Now, I was lucky enough to get an Alpha Key, so I'm going to go play a game that I'm interested in, for free, and enjoy it(unless it actually sucks), because I don't let personal bias get in the way of logic.

Please do tell us if it's good, I am very interested in this game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here