Rumor: Wii U Zelda Will Be Biggest Zelda Yet

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Wii U Zelda Will Be Biggest Zelda Yet

An unnamed source claims the upcoming Wii U Zelda will be the most expensive game Nintendo has ever made.

It's not hard to accurately predict that Nintendo is working on a new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U. It's like guessing that the sun is going to rise; after you've watched it happen so many times you can eventually set your clock around it. What's much less certain are the details, such as where the story will be set in the enormous Zelda timeline, or what particular art style the game will use. While we continue to wait for confirmation on what Nintendo has planned, an unnamed source for Wii U Daily claims to have seen the game in action. According to the report, the new Zelda title will make full use of the Wii U's increased graphical capabilities, and features huge virtual worlds that rival Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto games.

"It's a 4-year development cycle with a new console, new technology, new engine," the source explained. "It'll end up being the most expensive game they've made to date. It's a huge investment for [Nintendo] in money and manpower, this is Rockstar/GTA territory."

The report lists several ways in which the new Zelda title differs from previous entries, but the actual scale of the game world being the most prominent. According to the source, all content presented during 2011's E3 has been scrapped to build an enormous adventure experience from scratch. "The first test dungeon they made was a giant forest running on early and buggy Wii U hardware," Wii U Daily's source said. "The dungeon was bigger than the Hyrule field in Ocarina, and the whole thing is one dungeon. You use the GamePad to navigate, avoid traps, follow clues etc. It's dark, lush, with a ton of trees, foliage, some which you have to cut your way through. Its scope and details are unlike anything you've seen in a Zelda game."

Of course, the main feature that sets the Wii U apart from its peers is the GamePad tablet controller, which while unique, still needs to prove itself as a worthwhile gaming accessory. According to the source, Zelda fans have nothing to worry about because the GamePad was designed partly designed for this very game. "At least one of the hardware features added to the GamePad were solely implemented because the Zelda team figured out they could do something cool with it," the source states. "Zelda designers started sketching out concepts as soon as Nintendo decided to include a screen with the new console ... everything in the game is built around the controller and its unique abilities. Every single feature in the controller is used to its full potential."

While the overall tone of the report can be summarized as an enthusiastic "Ermagerd, Zelda," if even some of the reported information is true, it could make for a refreshing return-to-form for the series. While Skyward Sword was fun and well-designed, it simply didn't provide a vast open-world for the player to explore like Ocarina of Time or even A Link to the Past did. Regardless, we'll still have lots of time to speculate; thanks to all of the new features the source claims Nintendo is adding, The Legend of Zelda won't see the light of day until 2014.

Thanks to Mr. Mattress finding the info.

Source: Wii U Daily

I posted this information at least 2 days ago, and only now you guys are getting around to talking about it!

Still, it's very nice to be credited for Information Gathering :D

Anyways, I'm excited all around for the WiiU. And who knows? This could be the first Zelda Game I actively try to complete (Somehow, ever time I get into the Zelda franchise it really bores me)

Cool I'll wait for 2014 to find out if its good

This is good news. The only thing that annoys me is that I'll probably buy a WiiU for this & not get any other games...

This comes off more like wishful thinking than an actual design document. I get the feeling that this is someone trying to pass off what the WANT the next Zelda to be as what the next game will be like.

I hope this isn't all they have in development for it.

I haven't really seen a bad Zelda game aside from the CD-i ones. So you can count me excited just because it's Zelda. And Zelda in 1080p, and they're trying a lot?

I'm on board!

As long as the Wii U is involved in anything, this is how I feel

This is really exciting. They botched the hell out of Skyward Sword, but if part of the entire console was implemented just for this game, it's gonna be awesome!! I hope...
As long as they are actually working on it as hard as they say they are, I don't really see it being gimmicky either.

GAunderrated:
Cool I'll wait for 2014 to find out if its good

This.

All that time in development is gonna make it so awesome and polis-

*remembers Duke Nukem Forever*

-- dammit.

Top Hat:
This is good news. The only thing that annoys me is that I'll probably buy a WiiU for this & not get any other games...

I suggest a Rent-a-Center. Rent a WiiU for a month, Rent the game, and return both.

Thats my currant plan, as I dont know what kind of library the WiiU will have, and cant justify spending any money on a system I may only use to play Zelda.

WanderingFool:

Top Hat:

I suggest a Rent-a-Center. Rent a WiiU for a month, Rent the game, and return both.

Thats my currant plan, as I dont know what kind of library the WiiU will have, and cant justify spending any money on a system I may only use to play Zelda.

That sounds like a good idea, but since I like going back & replaying previous Zelda games, it might just be cheaper to buy it rather than renting it many times.

Isn't that what they said about Skyward Sword?
And THAT turned out so well, didn't it...?

Breaking News: Rumour has it that the next instalment of [insert franchise here] will be the biggest, and therefore best, game of [insert franchise here]'s history!

Ghonzor:

Why? There's nothing wrong with it.

OT: I personally hope they do well. I really just want a nice overworld like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask... And not like Skyward Sword..

Aiddon:
This comes off more like wishful thinking than an actual design document. I get the feeling that this is someone trying to pass off what the WANT the next Zelda to be as what the next game will be like.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

And now my excitement has begun. I was already going to get a Wii U, but this just makes it even better.

King of Asgaard:

Actually, from what I recall, it worked out pretty well.

Angry Juju:

Ghonzor:

Have you seen, like, anything to do with it?

Ghonzor:

Wow...that's shockingly accurate. I mean, I was literally thinking that. I'm just scared now.

OT: Look, I like Zelda. I'm not the biggest fan out there but let's just say I bought a cheap Wii so I could play SS among other good Wii games, the other 2 there are. And it was...okay. But there's no way this would make me want to go out and buy that dumb WiiU. Sorry, guys. Maybe in about 5 years when the WiiU is $50-$100 and that's a big maybe. But not now. Good luck with the game and all.

Foolproof:

Angry Juju:

Ghonzor:

Yes. There's nothing wrong with it. If you don't like the game, fine. But there's nothing wrong with the console. I like the look of some of the games on the lineup, I also like a lot of the games on the 3DS.

Unless the console were to be absurdly overpriced and would break after 2 months... But then I remember a certain other console that did that... I don't remember people giving that console ridiculous amounts of shit for it.

Interesting now just announce smash bros and then I'll get a Wii U

This looks more like massive speculation with no facts.

I don't trust a word of it.

it has to be good, because Nintendo rides on the success of Mario and Zelda, if Zelda is shit the WiiU will bomb. Besides with all the sexy hardware they are planning for the WiiU they have no choice but to make it the most beautiful game that exists.

The "effort" they will have to put into this game may be EPIC by Nintendo standards but I have been seeing other (smaller) studios doing about the same or better without all the extreme cost to make games it just means that Nintendo will now have to adapt to the workload required to develop more complex games to fit the new hardware in the Wii U

This is just basic hype talk... If you can even call it that, Two years behind 'Next Gen' competition (if the next Zelda takes 4 years) will have already widened the graphics comparison gap, the Wii U will be the new Wii to core gamers by then (the PC gamers will chuckle at us regardless), all they have to do is make the game 'fun' so I do see why are showing off how much money will be spent making this since it doesn't actually mean the end product will be a "good game"

I can see it working...Next gen hardware means it might just be that next gen HD zelda game we've been waiting for since Ocarina/Majora's (Twilight Princess was pretty but it was still barely better than gamecube graphics). More hardware means it's possible to have bigger levels, bigger bosses, crazier puzzles, etc. And if they can make it on the darker side like Majora's Mask...Nah, that's hoping too much but hey, you never know.

But best of all...the tablet controller possibly means no more pausing to switch items. That alone makes me give the next zelda the benefit of the doubt. This coming from someone who thought Twilight Princess was crap (except for the story and Midna), and didn't even bother with Skyward Sword.

Top Hat:

WanderingFool:

Top Hat:

That sounds like a good idea, but since I like going back & replaying previous Zelda games, it might just be cheaper to buy it rather than renting it many times.

If thats the case, it would be cheaper. But unless I can see myself playing a game multiple times, either from different ways to play main story or multiplayer, I dont buy it.

Angry Juju:

Unless the console were to be absurdly overpriced and would break after 2 months... But then I remember a certain other console that did that... I don't remember people giving that console ridiculous amounts of shit for it.

Woah. Cool your tits dude. You jumped right to defensive mode out of nowhere. Ghonzor could have meant anything from the controller to not having other games he doesnt like. Deep Breaths.

OT: Gameplay footage or GTFO somes up this imformation nicely

DarthSka:
And now my excitement has begun. I was already going to get a Wii U, but this just makes it even better.

King of Asgaard:

Actually, from what I recall, it worked out pretty well.

Really?
From what I recall, it became repetitive quickly, the 'open world' had very little opportunity for exploration, and the motion controls were finicky at times.

Shadowstar38:

Angry Juju:

Woah. Cool your tits dude. You jumped right to defensive mode out of nowhere. Ghonzor could have meant anything from the controller to not having other games he doesnt like. Deep Breaths.

OT: Gameplay footage or GTFO somes up this imformation nicely

I honestly don't see what part of that message makes me come across as angry... Aside from if you looked at my name.

And he doesn't like the console, despite it having no flaws aside from not being powerful enough... And even then the Wii wasn't that powerful but then I can name at least 10 games that I OWN which were more interesting and unique than a lot of Xbox titles (I don't care if you just like games where you smash zombies, they're neither interesting ideas nor unique, just mindless fun)

This is a Zelda thread

He's reading it because he's interested in Zelda

He lost interest because it's on the Wii U

Angry Juju:

I honestly don't see what part of that message makes me come across as angry... Aside from if you looked at my name.

And he doesn't like the console, despite it having no flaws aside from not being powerful enough... And even then the Wii wasn't that powerful but then I can name at least 10 games that I OWN which were more interesting and unique than a lot of Xbox titles (I don't care if you just like games where you smash zombies, they're neither interesting ideas nor unique, just mindless fun)

This is a Zelda thread

The Wii U not having any flaws isnt something one can state until everyone gets a chance to use it.

Shadowstar38:

Angry Juju:

This is a Zelda thread

The Wii U not having any flaws isnt something one can state until everyone gets a chance to use it.

No one can state the Wii U has any flaws until everyone gets a chance to use it.

Hopefully they offer something new this time, after playing OOT, TP and Skyward Sword, im getting a bit tired of slaying the same enemies over and over and i could do without the same tired areas. Enought with the Kokiri forests and volcano areas :/. Would like to see something new and exciting, and the less fetch quests the better. Skyward Sword felt like a drag because of the endless fetch quests, padding just to make the game seem longer but it only made it less interesting in the long run.

Speculation and rumors for games that quite possibly barely even exit yet aren't really selling points for the lame looking console. Then again, it could probably come with sex and I'd still not give Nintendo any money for it.

King of Asgaard:

Yes, yes it did, in fact it was one of the best Wii-Mote implementations I've ever seen.

Angry Juju:

Foolproof:

Angry Juju:

Yes. There's nothing wrong with it. If you don't like the game, fine. But there's nothing wrong with the console. I like the look of some of the games on the lineup, I also like a lot of the games on the 3DS.

This is a good place to start

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-know-nintendo-has-lost-its-mind/

From there on, there's just so much more wrong with it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here