Eidos Employee Fired Over "Hate Speech" on Facebook

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Eidos Employee Fired Over "Hate Speech" on Facebook

An Eidos Montreal tester has been fired for writing on his Facebook page that he hopes someone kills Quebec's newly-elected premier.

On September 4, the Parti Quebecois, led by Pauline Marois, was elected as the new government of the Canadian province of Quebec. The election led to the usual cross-country hand-wringing, as the Parti Quebecois' raison d'être is separation from the rest of Canada, but the real ugliness came in the form of a nut who tried to murder Marois during her acceptance speech; he missed her but killed audio technician Denis Blanchette and injured three others. The shooter reportedly shouted, "The English are waking up" as he was being led away by police.

Unfortunately, the ugliness didn't stop with the shooting. "You just can't find good assassins these days!" Blake Marsh, a now-former tester at Eidos Montreal, wrote on his Facebook page. In a follow-up comment, he added, "I give this bitch a month before someone with better aim comes forth and does what must be done."

The comments were brought to the attention of Eidos Montreal General Manager Stephane D'Astous, who said there were dozens of emails about it waiting for him when he arrived at the office Wednesday morning. He consulted with a lawyer and then immediately fired Marsh, who had been with the company for four years.

"I think he thought that social networking posts were private matters, but in fact, they're not," D'Astous said. "When you cross the line so clearly, like in this situation, and you associate yourself not just with your person but with your employer, that's totally unacceptable."

Marsh has since shut down his Facebook page, but he may yet face charges for uttering a threat against Marois. "We investigate as soon as we get a report... and if charges can be filed, they will be filed," said Sûreté du Québec Lieutenant Guy Lapointe, who noted that this isn't the only case of online threats the SQ is looking into. "People on their Facebook are posting all sorts of things and they're not thinking of the consequences."

Sources: CTV News, Global News

"Hate Speech" is analogous to "Free Speech."

Just Saiyan.

What an idiot. You'd think people would understand that you can get fired for this shit by now.

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

Of course, "Free Speech" doesn't apply to being fired for saying something, it just applies to not being arrested for it. Unless, of course, it constitutes a threat, in which case all gloves are off. But that's a matter for the Police to decide, Eidos are now free and clear of this mess.

The one real thing that sucks for this guy is the fact that the story hit the gaming press though. Losing his job presumably taught him the important lesson he needed to learn about not being a complete tool online, but whose going to hire the guy now that his name is synonymous with "hateful bastard"?

Someone actually took a shot at her? Wow.

Still, I fucking hate the Separatists. I don't think they realize just how nasty things could get if they actually leave. Their infrastructure is shit, their construction companies are filled with corruption, and they are bleeding the Maritimes dry with hydro bills.

Plus could you imagine just how bad congestion would get on the bridges over the Ottawa River if they had to set up fucking border stations? My home is five minutes drive to Quebec, and putting a border gate at fucking Portage-Du-Fort? It's a pissy little town that's only contribution is a convenient cheap liquor store.

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

do they have free speech in canada o.o

OT: Well, at least he was fired for a legitimate reason unlike most testers.

Fappy:
What an idiot. You'd think people would understand that you can get fired for this shit by now.

I don't think the diablo guy got fired.

OT:He should've known it was gonna bite him in the ass.

yuval152:

Fappy:

I don't think the diablo guy got fired.

OT: image He should've known it was gonna bite him in the ass.

The Diablo guy was being a jerk, I'll grant you that. However, he didn't say, "I hope someone shoots you and you die."

Big difference IMO.

While not a direct threat, it does seem to be advocating an assassination. I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but if you say the equivalent thing in the US, you should know you just asked the police, FBI, or even Secret Service to come arrest you.

This is why you post on small forums that your employer doesn't frequent or even know about.

Still awaiting the day that people finally realise that anyone can see what you post on the internet, and especially on Facebook.

You know I don't find it hard to keep my business separate from my pleasure <.<

I don't add anyone I work with on my FB period. This is among the reasons why its a good idea.

Not sure there's cause to press charges here ... but yeah - I can see why the dude was fired.

Seriously, when are people gonna figure out that you shouldn't put something on the internet if you don't want people to see it? Seriously, Facebook is not some sheet of paper locked up in a safe, it's a website with hundreds of millions of users, connected to an internet with billions.

P.S. Thanks

Someone tried to shoot Pauline Marois? I would never have known if I hadn't read this article.

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

FallenTraveler:

do they have free speech in canada o.o

Wow. I hate stereotypes as much as the next guy, but you guys are really playing up the "ignorant american" thing...

Free Speech is the freedom to say anything you like in public without fear of reprisal from the government. Your employer sure as shit is free to fire you, even for saying you like the wrong sports team, if they like and "Hate Speech" doesn't have to be tolerated by anyone, you just can't get arrested for it.

As for "do other countries have free speech?", I don't even... I mean Canada? Can you really watch the news and think Canada comes close in any way to Egypt, Syria, Libya, Iran, etc? Because those are what countries without free speech look like...

Don't worry continent of NA it won't belong before you copy the UK with lovely signs all over the place informing you that if you overhear(eavesdrop) people's private conversations about racist/sexist/discriminate/violent topics you should immediatly alert the police :)

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

Except that employers don't have to respect their employees' right of free speech. Just sayin'.

Should have learned from the Spoony One, NOTHING on the internet is private.

Captch: gung ho
Yes he was

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

Except that employers don't have to respect their employees' right of free speech. Just sayin'.

I never said they did.

Mr.Tea:

Wow. I hate stereotypes as much as the next guy,

Obviously you don't .

Mr.Tea:

but you guys are really playing up the "ignorant american" thing...

Considering your prejudice statement.

I think someone trying to assassinate Marois is the most exciting Canadian Politics has ever been...

Humor aside, I don't like the separatists, but assassination is going too far...

I'm really getting tired with all thouse things around Pauline Marrois. She was a terrible Minister back in 90's she will probably be an horrible Prime Minister, and finally yeah her reinforced law 101 will be havilly libertycide... But can we stop with the death threat? she holding a minority gouvernement we will probably back in election in 6 mounths

Soviet Heavy:

Still, I fucking hate the Separatists. I don't think they realize just how nasty things could get if they actually leave. Their infrastructure is shit, their construction companies are filled with corruption, and they are bleeding the Maritimes dry with hydro bills.

Plus could you imagine just how bad congestion would get on the bridges over the Ottawa River if they had to set up fucking border stations? My home is five minutes drive to Quebec, and putting a border gate at fucking Portage-Du-Fort? It's a pissy little town that's only contribution is a convenient cheap liquor store.

As a Québecer, i whole hearthly agree with you, if we separate i move out of Québec the next day

Chiave:

Mr.Tea:

Wow. I hate stereotypes as much as the next guy,

Obviously you don't .

Mr.Tea:

but you guys are really playing up the "ignorant american" thing...

Considering your prejudice statement.

Oooh that's great, don't actually address anything I said!

What I meant was: I hate when what I see actually supports a stereotype. Congratulations, by the way, on doing absolutely nothing to show otherwise.

You are supposed to post stuff like that on political forums under an alias or use a trolling facebook account not your own.

And quebec is still on about the independence thing? dont they know they will become a 3rd world country within a year?

Talvrae:

Soviet Heavy:

As a Québecer, i whole hearthly agree with you, if we separate i move out of Québec the next day

French Quebecer or Anglophone? I just think it's a disaster waiting to happen. The Separatists are pissed off about shit that happened a couple centuries ago. They need to get over it, like the rest of the province.

Soviet Heavy:
[quote="Talvrae" post="7.387579.15487917"]

French Quebecer or Anglophone? I just think it's a disaster waiting to happen. The Separatists are pissed off about shit that happened a couple centuries ago. They need to get over it, like the rest of the province.

French from Québec city, and yeah it is a disaster waiting to happen, we live off the oils sand money from Alberta to pay overs abundants services that we don't have the means to pay for

Darks63:
You are supposed to post stuff like that on political forums under an alias or use a trolling facebook account not your own.

And quebec is still on about the independence thing? dont they know they will become a 3rd world country within a year?

Most of us know but the independence things runs always at about 35-40% of the poulation, and the referendum for that run lower since most of thouse who want it want our finance to be cleaned up first

He should have quit while he was ahead. If he had made only his first comment, he could have at least argued that he was just making a joke, but then he had to go and take it that one step further. Heck, it wasn't even a step, more like a leap... with a running start.

Soviet Heavy:

So why are they seperating? whats the deal?

One more reason to not have a Facebook account. We all say dumb things at some point. Facebook just makes sure you get busted for it.

The separatist have already lost 2 referendums. Though, ugly crap like this shooting will only bolster the separatist cause.

How many of us have looked at a state dominated by the party we oppose and thought maybe secession might not be such a bad thing? What gives anyone the right to murder their neighbors for firmly wanting you to leave them alone?

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

And what point are you making?

Is it that anyone who spouts hate speech of any kind shouldn't fear reprisal of any kind? Because in Canada there are exceptions to the right of free speech when it comes to inciting hatred, so from a constitutional point he's potentially culpable.

Is it that the constitutional right to freedom of speech, including hateful speech, should apply to every statement made regardless of context and the place where it was made? Because in Canada the Charter of Rights and Freedoms sets out the right to freedom of speech subject to reasonable limits of the law. ie. Since this was against the law (see above re. Inciting hatred) then the right to freedom of speech doesn't apply to him.

Or is it simply that free speech and hate speech etymologically are comparable in that they both refer to expressing ones innermost thoughts? Because while that certainly does make the nature of the two separate entities clearer (analogous doesn't mean exactly the same by the way, just FYI. The word I think you were after is synonymous) it doesn't mean that hate speech is free speech or vice versa. In the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Constitution of the United States and the laws of the United Kingdom all include exceptions for hate speech. (there are other countries with laws that don't grant total freedom of speech, in fact most of them, but I won't go on.)

So constitutionally he wasn't protected under either Canadian or US Basic Rights and Freedoms. Legally he wasn't protected by Canadian or US law, and morally supporting an assassination is, at least in my opinion, highly questionable and somewhat crass.

Chiave:

Just Saiyan.

Not in Canada, it isn't.

Well. That's not surprising.
The attempted assassination thing is. Haven't heard about it till I read this.
Somehow, I still failed to care. And I'm not even a sociopath *creepy smile*.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here