Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

PC gamers are hopping mad that the indie hit Terraria is coming to consoles.

Released back in May 2011, the action-adventure-RPG Terraria was a pretty big hit as far as indie PC games go, topping the Steam sales charts with roughly 200,000 copies sold during its first week of release and earning a cool $2 million along the way. Re-logic, the studio behind the game, announced in February 2012 that after one final bug fix, development of the game would cease; creator Andrew Spinks said he had a new son on the way, and that he wanted to spend some time "recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer."

It was a bit of a surprise, then, but also cause for much joy when Spinks said in July that he had a "pretty big Terraria-related announcement" coming in the near future; and the announcement itself - that Terraria is "coming soon" to Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network - was an even bigger surprise, but it's safe to say that the "joy" part of the equation is out the window.

The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something. Most of the comments can't be printed here (it gets a little swear-y), but the majority of the anger seems to be directed at the developer's decision to release a "cash grab" console version rather than a proper update for the PC. Fueling that rage is the fact that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions will feature extra content, but there's been no indication that the new material, whatever it may be, will be released for the PC.

There has been some pushback from gamers who think the outraged reaction has gone too far, and even one or two who thank the developers for providing dozens or even hundreds of hours of gameplay for a measly ten bucks, but overall, doom, gloom and idiot rage rule the roost. It's quite a contrast from yesterday's tease of today's announcement, which was followed by hundreds of messages of happiness, appreciation and love from fans.

The 360 and PS3 versions of Terraria are currently slated to arrive in early 2013. More information can be found on the official Terraria forums or the Terraria Facebook page - but please, try not to embarrass yourself.

This seems very familiar...

So familiar.

I just can't put my finger on it...

I think it rhymes with Hark Rolls.

As a PC gamer myself, I feel I must jump in on this.

Whoo... Glad to let off some steam like that. Sorry to go all "preachy" and stuff. I probably shouldn't have swore so much, but I felt my opinion needed to be stated.

Andy Chalk:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with

Nice, because THAT statement won't piss anybody off at all.

OT: I think this is actually really funny.
Part of me even wonders whether this is was an intentional trolling from the company.

Dev: "We're making a BIG announcement for our PC Exclusive GAME!"

Fans: "YAY! <3 you guys! :D:D:D:D Can't wait!"

Dev: "We're bringing it to consoles."

Fans: "RAGERAGE!"

Dev:

*Slow Clap*

As a PC gamer, I apologize for my not so friendly neighbors...

As a PC gamer I apologies for the behavior of my peers. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shout at Steam for letting IOS games on their store.

I have a feeling this isn't really about it going to the consoles as much as its the game was abandoned by the dev despite all the promises of updates.

The project was completely abandoned before completion, leaving a massive list of promised features not implemented. It was a sad and frustrating end to a very enjoyable game.

Then out of the blue to have a console version announced, when their version of the game is completely unfinished? I can understand the frustration. They are assuming that the console version will be an idealized complete version of the game, and that the PC version will not get that.

Maybe an unfounded assumption but it wouldn't be the first time, I really can't blame these people, as un-eloquent as they may be.

Cunty people being cunts.
Is anyone surprised?

I don't mind PC-only games being turned into console ports, what I do mind is when I come to read the news and get insulted instead.

Unbelievable... PC Elitism at it's worst. They should be happy that more people will get to play a great game, and that the developer will become more successful and in turn make more stuff. That is ridiculous that anybody should think the game belongs solely to the PC users.

Xbox live AND PSN? That's great news for console owners, indeed.

And hey, don't single out PC gamers. It's not like console gamers are the pinnacle of sense and sanity either.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-user-mad-about-skyrim-s-dlc-snub-just-stop-crying--234406.phtml

Anyway. I'm glad that Terraria is coming to both consoles, instead of just one like that other game. Hopefully it'll be a success on there as well.

As a lover of Terraria and a hard core PC gamer, I'm glad that the company is going to expand. I just hope they don't waste excessive amounts of money with Micro$hits shitty XBoxLive service. I know it costs some money to get stuff up on there. I want this developer to be as successful as possible, they deserve it.

Ya, it's not that it's going to consoles. It's that it's going to consoles with ANYTHING new at all. I wouldn't be offended in the least if it was just going to consoles, ports happen all the time. When the devs tease 'Big Terraria Announcement!' and the announcement is 'shiny new things...only on the upcoming console port!' it is kind of irritating.

GAunderrated:
I have a feeling this isn't really about it going to the consoles as much as its the game was abandoned by the dev despite all the promises of updates.

The project was completely abandoned before completion, leaving a massive list of promised features not implemented. It was a sad and frustrating end to a very enjoyable game.

Then out of the blue to have a console version announced, when their version of the game is completely unfinished? I can understand the frustration. They are assuming that the console version will be an idealized complete version of the game, and that the PC version will not get that.

Maybe an unfounded assumption but it wouldn't be the first time, I really can't blame these people, as un-eloquent as they may be.

This. Kinda how I feel.

I'm not raging and swearing my head off (some of those comments got pretty...eloquent), but it's frustrating nonetheless because of the situation GAunderrated described.

This is all hinging on whether this new content comes to the Steam version or not, because so far there's been no word.

Andy Chalk:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with,

That's a bit antagonistic, now isn't it? I mean, most of the rage I've seen is about the situation I've quoted, not because it'll be available for the 'console plebs' (I couldn't care less, half my games are on consoles).

Krantos:

Andy Chalk:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with

Nice, because THAT statement won't piss anybody off at all.

OT: I think this is actually really funny.
Part of me even wonders whether this is was an intentional trolling from the company.

Dev: "We're making a BIG announcement for our PC Exclusive GAME!"

Fans: "YAY! <3 you guys! :D:D:D:D Can't wait!"

Dev: "We're bringing it to consoles."

Fans: "RAGERAGE!"

Dev:

*Slow Clap*

Andy at his best.

Anyhow, this whole thing is fucking stupid. Why shouldn't it come to consoles?

If the developer did indeed make promises to PC gamers, then I can understand the dissatisfaction, although I don't get the rage. This is why you don't make massive promises when your indie game goes big. They are never kept and it all ends in tears. See: Minecraft, and now Terraria.

You'd think PC gamers would be more, well, PC :P

Facebook pages and their comment sections have some of the biggest tards I've ever seen on the internet. I'd rather spend hours reading youtube comments. Anyways, yay good for Terraria.

Well, ignoring the hatred, I'll just say that I'm glad they're bringing it to consoles. Highly regarded game by my PC playing friends so I'll be glad to give this a go on Xbox.

I wonder as well, if they're going to do the same thing that happened with Dark Souls but in reverse, with Re-Logic charging PC users for the extra content.

Bernzz:

GAunderrated:

This. Kinda how I feel.

I'm not raging and swearing my head off (some of those comments got pretty...eloquent), but it's frustrating nonetheless because of the situation GAunderrated described.

This is all hinging on whether this new content comes to the Steam version or not, because so far there's been no word.

Andy Chalk:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with,

That's a bit antagonistic, now isn't it? I mean, most of the rage I've seen is about the situation I've quoted, not because it'll be available for the 'console plebs' (I couldn't care less, half my games are on consoles).

Yes I am HOPING that with the release of the console versions they will impliment the updates that were promised originally that way everyone is happy. The console users get to enjoy a GREAT game and the PC users get the content that was promised.

What I am sure many people are assuming (and I can't blame them for thinking that) the console will get all the updates that were promised for the PC BUT they will pay for it (raking in the $$$) and leaving the PC users who love this game in the dust (or require them to pay and more rage ensures).

More reason to never call myself a PC Gamer.

After playing the hell out of Terraria, (and giving away a few copies to people on this website) I took a break. Fired it up some time later, and BAM! tons more content, rinse repeat several times, and I'm sure if I logged on today, there would be even more cool stuff.

But (some) PC gamers aren't happy with that, and they want to rage that consoles get to have some fun too.

Boo friggin Hoo

I'm fine with them releasing on consoles, but don't make US pay for updates or not update the pc version.

This is hilarious. Do these people realize how stupid they look posting this shit on Facebook? If you're going to act like a self-entitled ass you should do it anonymously!

Awesome :) I always prefer controllers to WASD for non 3d games.

Please people, don't complain about Re-Logic 'cashing in'. Devs cashing in means more money for the devs, which means more attention from investors and more hiring ability, all of which means more and better games!

These people deserve to be successful. Let up a bit.

renegade7:
Awesome :)
Please people, don't complain about Re-Logic 'cashing in'. Devs cashing in means more money for the devs, which means more attention from investors and more hiring ability, all of which means more and better games!

I'm sure Bioware had those exact thoughts. lol

It's a good game and if more people get the chance to play it that's awesome. On the other hand I also think that the extra content that's going into the console versions should be released for the PC version as well. They did just out of the blue say "We're stopping support for Terraria as of the next patch to work on a new project." so I can understand PC gamers being upset by THAT part of it.

Seriously though, PC gamers as a whole need to stop getting so pissy when one of our games gets ported to consoles. It just means that more people get to see what we're doing over here and it might make them think about giving PC gaming a try.

Um maybe be "extra" content they mean a new control scheme for a controller and/or monster alterations to help accommodate such a system or better yet it could just be Trophies/Achievements (With a new NPC to inform you how to get them.)

Beside with all the Modded content on the PC wouldn't they have someone capable of replicating anything he makes for (compared to modern 3d games) PC.

Wasn't Minecraft started off a few updates short of the current model but had a new tutorial system? Did PC players want the Tutorial system?(Really I'd like to know I've never heard it brought up.)

So, I had a rather lengthy and heated discussion with someone a while back that is very related to this. He didn't like it when things he thought were dumb existed because he felt like their creation took resources away from the creation of things he liked. In other words is "video games" a closed system with a finite amount of energy. If so then things you don't like necessarily take resources away from things you do like. We never did decide if he was right or not.

I love this game and am glad more people can play it because not everyone plays PC games. It would have been nice if they kept updating this game like they do for Minecraft.

Fappy:
This is hilarious. Do these people realize how stupid they look posting this shit on Facebook? If you're going to act like a self-entitled ass you should do it anonymously!

Never question human stupidity, it's like george bush it disappears for awhile and then it comes back even dumber.

OT: Might get it in a awhile, I'll be too broke and busy playing borderlands.

I loved this game and I think it's time for a reinstall for some coop goodness with my buddy.

I think it's the same people who complained back in the day that the game "was too easy" and that "it didn't had enough content".

I'm a PC gamer at heart and I welcome their decision to release this wonderful and quirky game into consoles, I just hope it gets support for split screen coop, that would be awesome.

Daystar Clarion:
This seems very familiar...

So familiar.

I just can't put my finger on it...

I think it rhymes with Hark Rolls.

I know, right?

Something about Smart Phones? No, that's not it.
Maybe Dank Holes? Not it either...
Dark Moles! Wait that still doesn't sound right. Getting close though, I can feel it...
Oh, Dark Souls, that's it. Guess I completely forgot about that since sexism has overtaken forums once more and this little port was completely forgotten. Well, at least it's a testament to how short lived the rage of "PC elitists" is.

It is kinda ironic that PC gamers complain when they get extra content with a port as well as when console gamers get extra content with a port. Guess any extra content is bad now?

Andy Chalk:
The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something.

So how's your attempt to get a job at Fox News going?

What an absolutely blatant and shameless nerd-bait attempt. Get off your damn high horse, Andy, because there are elitists in every single gaming format. PC gamers merely get the raw end of that deal because they are used to significantly higher standards and expectations.

I'm calling this article out for what it is: baiting with misleading and downright false information.

There are always people who will rage at everything, but I'm somewhat in doubt that every single complaint about Terraria coming to consoles is purely doing it because "boo hoo it's no longer a PC exclusive game". I play games on my PC, and I'm happy for the console gamers because Terraria is a very fun game. But let's be honest, PC gamers aren't just mad because the game is coming to consoles.

I'm betting it has a lot more to do with the fact that Terraria had a massive laundry list of promised updates and bug fixes, all of which were abandoned at the drop of a hat by the game's developers. And then suddenly, out of the blue, they announce that they're releasing the game to consoles and they're going to give the console version several pieces of exclusive content which the PC gamers may never end up receiving at any point in time. To the people who bought the game when it was just a fledgling indie title, yeah, it probably DOES feel a bit like a betrayal, because it's those people on Steam who threw in their ten bucks that Terraria became what it is today. Terraria and its devs owe their entire success story to a game and a playerbase that they effectively ditched without a formal explanation and with many promises left unfulfilled. Hell, if not for its success on Steam, it would likely not be getting this big console release at all. So the people who helped make them big are being ignored while the devs move to focus and cater to a group of players who (for the most part) have no clue what their game is? I can see why some PC gamers would be pissed about that. How the writer of this article missed out on these things is just baffling to me.

How about some journalistic integrity for next time?

So they don't have the time to add stuff/bugfixes for the pc version not even a basic mod api, But they do have time to create a console version?
Seriously if that content is console exclusive screw them, if it isn't and also comes out on pc Forget everything i said.

You know I recently switched to PC gaming only (until the next generation of consoles anyway) but this is the reason I will never call myself a PC gamer, I do not want to be even closely associated with elitist snobs. I find the 12 year old racist kids on Xbox live a more enjoyable community than PC gamers. I just laugh when some kid calls me a "gay faggot", but the way these people treat others you don't even want to play the game anymore.

As a Terraria PC fan and owner of a PS3 I can only be happy that this amazingly fun title is coming to consoles. Never thought I could bring myself to play a game that's so... well, ugly isn't exactly the right word, but I think people know what I mean. I think I might buy this for console as well, it's just too much fun.

I'm just happy more people can play this great game. Why can't more people be happy? Happy, like Terraria! ^^

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here