Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

FelixG:

The rest of us have learned that you get your news in other more reliable places

But they don't have...This hat.

Lumber Barber:

Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.

When exactly did it become acceptable for people (well, people outside Fox News) to go all extreme on every issue? It's like, if someone doesn't constantly fellate people on every issue, he is their enemy and solidly opposed to everything they believe.

...Which is kind of how we got here in the first place.

"You're paying attention to consoles? Well, I'm going to throw a tantrum now."

Krantos:

If I say "Women have anger issues" does that prove me right when women get mad at me? No. It's a deliberate attempt at baiting.

He calls gamers insecure and they behave in an insecure fashion. That's not quite the same as women "getting mad," it's people actually behaving from a consistent root cause.

Also, it's hardly "baiting." Dude does this to console gamers. Hell, the SITE does it to console gamers a lot, and somehow its only when PC gamers get the rare barb that someone loses their shit.

Why exactly is that?

I mean, using your example, you would piss off both men and women if you said to them "(your respective gender) has anger issues."

So why aren't Console kiddies, the ones often painted as immature dudebros, the ones stomping a mudhole in Andy and the Escapist?

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

The rest of us have learned that you get your news in other more reliable places

but...What...I dont...Idont even...

I'm guessing, the backlash is due to the console release being a likely reason for Starbound's lack of substantial progress updates. The integrity of the developer was already tarnished by his bail-out on the Terraria updates(continuous application of which was advertised as one of the features).
I would say, while his community may be overreacting, I am not going to blame them for doing so - in the spirit of "fool me once..." principle.

Angry Juju:

Glademaster:
-snip-

First, I'm saying he should cut off all development for the PC version because the PC users have literally done nothing but flame him for literally no reason aside from entitlement (just a little hint, you're not entitled to shit, you paid $5 for a game, which he took to a point where anyone can say 'it's finished and then stopped development). He doesn't gain anything from continuing development on the PC and he doesn't lose anything from not continuing support, and considering how the PC users are simply acting like little kids who didn't get their own way, I think that he should just say "Suck it up and learn from your actions"

Second, no, Terraria is not the same as Skyrim. That was such a crappy comparison it's unreal. Terraria had the development on it stopped. Did you know that generally when games do this it means that THEY NO LONGER PATCH IT?

Third, I said that I bought 10 copies because I gave all 10 to different people who I know have all played the game a lot and quite a few of them have reached end game and done some really nice things. Yet none of them complain about major game breaking bugs that are apparently such a major issue...

Fourth, all games have bugs, this game is no different. Many games get ports, this game is no different. Are you going to go bitch at Nintendo for not fixing bugs in the N64 version of Ocarina of Time now after that revelation?

Actually he does which just goes to show how short sighted you are. It is bad PR to jilt the people that bought the game in the first place and made this possible just because a couple of dicks. You know everyone loves the teacher that gives everyone a punishment essay just because there is one asshole in the class? Actually they don't and they don't think highly of that dick head either. I think you need to get some perspective on the bigger picture.

Especially, since this is pretty much just the people on Facebook. Practically, every other forum I've seen remotely to do with the game has had pretty balanced and mature responses for the most part.

Actually Terraria is the same as Skyrim or any PC game or game on the PC. If there is something in that is broke you go and fix it with a patch especially when you advertise continuous support as a feature. Patching on the game was only stopped so that the dev could take a break and focus on other things. So no comparing a PC game to a PC game is not a crappy comparison since Terraria didn't have development on it stopped because the dev was done with it. It was family issues and that there was 1 more bug fix to come which never did.

That and if you even read what I said I said that we should not be thankful for a Dev fixing bugs. Fixing their mistakes is not something we should be thankful for and I also said that is a content update not a bug fix which is something good to be thankful for.

Once again you could have just said all of my 10+ friends who have it loved the game and found no massive bugs. The I bought 10 copies is still not relevant.

Surprisingly, this is a different thing. Firstly, I never said games do not have bugs and secondly, I never said games do not get ports. However, I did say it is wrong of a dev to release a port of a relatively recent game with an active and strong community with bug fixes(if any) and content update to one version and not another. Especially, on the platforms we have today with their update features unless there is good reason.

So surprising enough this isn't an as is port of Ocarina of Time this is exactly like Dark Souls except it some PC gamers bitching so they are obviously the Devil. Some console gamers were just as bad about bitching when it came the PC got content they didn't but they weren't vilified. All that has happened here and there is the dev had a poor communication moment that caused this. I have no doubt the content will be on PC but I have serious problems with your attitude towards the people on 1 platform because of a couple of dicks on 1 forum.

Zachary Amaranth:

Krantos:

If I say "Women have anger issues" does that prove me right when women get mad at me? No. It's a deliberate attempt at baiting.

He calls gamers insecure and they behave in an insecure fashion. That's not quite the same as women "getting mad," it's people actually behaving from a consistent root cause.

Also, it's hardly "baiting." Dude does this to console gamers. Hell, the SITE does it to console gamers a lot, and somehow its only when PC gamers get the rare barb that someone loses their shit.

Why exactly is that?

I mean, using your example, you would piss off both men and women if you said to them "(your respective gender) has anger issues."

So why aren't Console kiddies, the ones often painted as immature dudebros, the ones stomping a mudhole in Andy and the Escapist?

Um... Are we on the same escapist? Console players do lose their shit. Just about as often as PC gamers, actually. This is the internet, there are idiots in every demographic.

As to the first sentence, there really isn't much of a difference. Did some PC gamers act immature? Hell yes, this is the internet.

What Andy did though, is directly insult an entire group. That, understandably, irritates members of said group, many of whom have no connection to the idiots who started the shit storm on the Terraria boards, outside of preferred platform.

It's an unwarranted generalization. Getting irritated at that does not 'confirm' it in any way.

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

[spoiler=spoiler snip]The rest of us have learned that you get your news in other more reliable places

Well, that sells it for me. I don't even care what news it is now.

Console gamers vs PC gamers crap again?(and the hyper-generalisations that follow)

Cant we just let this go and agree that gamers are gamers wether they play PC or on console, or are a woman or a man or play pong or CoD? This sub-categorising to proove "who's teh bestest!1" is really erupting into the behaviour patterns you'd see at a kindergarden.

Tomeran:
Console gamers vs PC gamers crap again?(and the hyper-generalisations that follow)

Cant we just let this go and agree that gamers are gamers wether they play PC or on console, or are a woman or a man or play pong or CoD? This sub-categorising to proove "who's teh bestest!1" is really erupting into the behaviour patterns you'd see at a kindergarden.

Would be nice if our overall community was that level headed. But sadly some people have to do whatever it takes to justify their decision on which user input device they put in their hands, even if it means trashing everything else.

Personally, why settle for one when you can enjoy all?

Aeonknight:

Tomeran:

Would be nice if our overall community was that level headed. But sadly some people have to do whatever it takes to justify their decision on which user input device they put in their hands, even if it means trashing everything else.

Personally, why settle for one when you can enjoy all?

Well, money. But I agree with you, I've grown so absolutely tired of this stuff. All of the hate, screaming, rudeness, etc.

Angry Juju:

Glademaster:
-snip-

First, I'm saying he should cut off all development for the PC version because the PC users have literally done nothing but flame him for literally no reason aside from entitlement (just a little hint, you're not entitled to shit, you paid $5 for a game, which he took to a point where anyone can say 'it's finished and then stopped development). He doesn't gain anything from continuing development on the PC and he doesn't lose anything from not continuing support, and considering how the PC users are simply acting like little kids who didn't get their own way, I think that he should just say "Suck it up and learn from your actions"

Wait wait wait. Do you seriously think that is a good idea? To start with, punishing a majority for the actions of a minority is a terrible idea from it's core principles, since you're punish innocent people. This can lead to annoyed people. Now apply that leaking powder keg to the medium that invented the term 'flamewar'. The result of this increasing strained metaphor is more angry people, with a more legitimate backing for their anger. My general response to most game drama is 'yeah why should I care' or 'dude you're over reacting', however if a developer decided to basically spite their fanbase, I'd probably dislike them. And in the case of Redigit/Red/Andrew, I'd probably float over into full 'this guy is a moron who I hate' land. Mainly because I can see where some of the anger is coming from. I mean, this guy:

-Promised a bunch of features in public.
-Ended development quite suddenly. (of course, the game was pretty full)
-Ignored a offer by another studio to continue Terraria's development.
-Annouced 'something big' to fans, who most likely owned the game, which turned out to be a port.
-Said port may have extra content players have wanted.
-Is generally crappy at PR.

I mean, the hate is crazy. But I can see where it comes from.

GAunderrated:

CarlMinez:
with a lot of people switching from consoles to PC.

I can say that the PC community is progressively getting worse with more and more immaturity, ranting, elitism and entitlement

With having a little fun with the quote (hope you dont get mad) I can see a correlation between a few things you said. I pruned them for you. ;)

I tried to be subtle...

I'm okay with this and I'm a PC gamer, Andy please continue the Sub-Par offensive articles.

Article: Game journalism lol!

As for the whole anger; it's understandable. Developer hypes up something big is happen when it's a console port. Then stirs something up by saying the consoles get new content with no mention of the pc version. People have a very good reason to be skeptical if the pc version was not mention. It akes it sound like he has abandoned the pc community. Reading on the Terraria forums, apparently the developer has made plenty of false promises, so it sounds like he isn't trustworthy.

Wow, I did more journalism then this article did and it only took me a few minutes.

Captcha: End of Story

"YAY! We are getting additional things for that thing that we have... BOO! You are giving people that thing that they didnt have and we already had for an entire year instead of giving us bonus things." - Selfish idiots, who very well might partake in PC Gaming.

FelixG:

I'm not entirely sure which part lost you, but it's a Feed Dump reference.

I couldn't resist.

Zachary Amaranth:

FelixG:

I'm not entirely sure which part lost you, but it's a Feed Dump reference.

I couldn't resist.

Ahh I dont watch Feed Dump, so thats probably why I went all :psyduck:

And I care why?

Seriously, I'm a PC gamer and don't care who gets what game.

Have you noticed how rage-y everyone gets over everything these days?

Sheesh my brethren, gt a grip. They said terraria 1 was done, so might as well grab cash prior to the dev of terraria 2.

Devs, though, this is not a big announcement. iPad baldurs gate, that's a big announcement.

More appropriate title: Game that me and every friend I know that we stopped playing months ago gets a port to consoles we don't own; vocal minority consisting of people seeking to validate all the money they blew on graphics cards by acting like elitist cunts continue its reputation of being elitist cunts, whereas the other 95% of PC gamers really couldn't give a fuck less.

GundamSentinel:
I'm just happy more people can play this great game. Why can't more people be happy? Happy, like Terraria before hardmode! ^^

Ding! Fixed!

I was more bothered by the article itself than this bit of news. Way to add more fuel to the fire Andy. Unbiased journalism FTW :)

While I don't really care about Terraria, I can somehow understand why certain PC gamers, grasping for straws in firm belief that their platform of choice still matters are outraged by this "betrayal". People just need to chill the fuck out and realize that they're not entitled to any possible future content just because they "played it first".
Oh noes, somebody said one thing than went and did completely other. Welcome to yesterday buddy.

Quote of Critic Kitten

I'm betting it has a lot more to do with the fact that Terraria had a massive laundry list of promised updates and bug fixes, all of which were abandoned at the drop of a hat by the game's developers. And then suddenly, out of the blue, they announce that they're releasing the game to consoles and they're going to give the console version several pieces of exclusive content which the PC gamers may never end up receiving at any point in time. To the people who bought the game when it was just a fledgling indie title, yeah, it probably DOES feel a bit like a betrayal, because it's those people on Steam who threw in their ten bucks that Terraria became what it is today. Terraria and its devs owe their entire success story to a game and a playerbase that they effectively ditched without a formal explanation and with many promises left unfulfilled. Hell, if not for its success on Steam, it would likely not be getting this big console release at all. So the people who helped make them big are being ignored while the devs move to focus and cater to a group of players who (for the most part) have no clue what their game is? /quote

This is what has happened to the gamers of my generation the so called core gamer the dude that stuck to his hobby and helped those small company's become what they are today. Then got spat on in favor of making more cash with bland hand holding tripe.

The bottom line is all that matters

I also agree that people are pissed at the game they enjoyed and bought as a work in progress got dropped then all the content they waited for got given to the highest bidder not the worthy supporter all they got was the middle finger.

I bought this on steam i have no problem with it on console but i do feel somewhat miffed as to why the update wont be on pc.

Grenge Di Origin:

GundamSentinel:
I'm just happy more people can play this great game. Why can't more people be happy? Happy, like Terraria before hardmode! ^^

Ding! Fixed!

Ha, so true! I've spent hours hallow/corrupion-proofing my humble abode (basically dismantling half the dungeon in the process), and then I noticed a slight bit of corruption had peeped through and was now gradually eating my carefully planned garden. RAGE!

Glademaster:
-snip-

You think that it's only people on Facebook who are complaining about the Terraria port?

You complained about the port in two of your posts.

And it's his game, he should have free reign over it. If he wants to make the game more available then don't bitch about it, god damn what kind of developer wants to cater to a bunch of assholes? If you feel betrayed then get over it and buy the game again. Terraria has been on sale several times, the 4 pack being sold for about $5.

As a PC gamer, I don't apologize for the stupid overreactions from the other people who are blowing this way out of proportion, because in their terrible way... they're kind of right.

It isn't really fair to release a version of a game with more content on another device without allowing that content to be available on the original device without reason. For example, if something was an iOS game and released a port to a console with way more content, that makes sense because consoles and PCs can do more with more complex controls than an iPhone or Android. However, this is a case of PC transferring to console, which shouldn't have that same effect because their isn't that drastic a difference in controls to warrant really any additional content.

Now, this content may be to take use of console specific tech, like motion controls (god I hope not) but it'd be nice to have some idea what it is so the PC gamers at least know if their whining and bitching really is worth it or if they're still getting a better deal anyway.

Also, I know more content was supposedly added to the PC version of Dark Souls, but from what I gather it was also a really shoddy port of the game, so I argue that one balances out in the end.

Krantos:

Um... Are we on the same escapist? Console players do lose their shit. Just about as often as PC gamers, actually. This is the internet, there are idiots in every demographic.

There are idiots in every demographic. that's a meaningless statement. It's also false equivalence.

Well extra content specific to the consoles is unfair... especially considering the PC is what made it popular in the first place... that and riding the coattails of Minecraft... but I digress... Honestly, what do you expect? PC Gamers get shafted almost as bad as Nintendo fans... the only difference is we don;t just sit there and take it... I honestly don;t have a problem with the complaining... the massive amount of nerd rage might actually bring some equality for PC releases... You know, so we won;t constantly get the shaft, from everyone...<.<

Zachary Amaranth:

Krantos:

There are idiots in every demographic. that's a meaningless statement. It's also false equivalence.

Um, how so?

Console gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

PC gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

Seems pretty equivalent to me.

I also think you're misunderstanding False Equivalence. If I said PC gamers lost their shit, and they play games. Console players also play games, so they must also lose their shit. THAT would be false equivalence. When I said console players lose their shit, it was because I've seen them lose their shit over stupid stuff before.

And saying there are idiots in every demographic is not meaningless. It's true. You can't condemn an entire demographic because some of them are idiot. Because, as I said, there are some in every demographic.

If you want to talk about logical fallacies, what do you think assuming the actions of a small portion of a demographic reflects an inherent quality of all members of that demographic is?

And getting upset when someone calls an entire demographic insecure does not prove the statement true. It just show people don't like to be at the receiving end of a generalization. Honestly, I don't know anyone who does.

Tomeran:

We could, but gaming as a whole won't.

The whole PC vs Consoles is at least as old as NES-era gaming (check out the original Duke Nukem demo-crawl. It takes direct shots at the NES in comparison to PC's gaming tech, and this essentially predates the internet!), but until ~2006, it was primarily based on elitism and semantics.

PC grew the tech, Consoles grew the market. You would see each one leap-frogging the other in terms of viability until ~2000, where the two markets moved towards parity.
And of course, the number of online gamers surged exponentially starting around then.

Following 2006, apart from MMORPGs, just about all the major publishers (and their developer serfs) jumped ship from PC to console, given it was a booming market that appeared to be more secure. And as the years rolled by, it became less semantics and more reality.

This left PC holding onto a few precious titles outside the growing MMO genre (well, WoW-clone genre in practice), and a game lineup made almost ENTIRELY out of ports.

(*insert random idiot posting overused "PC gaming is dying" pic here, and once again ignoring reality*)

After years of being treated as second-rate customers for primarily business-related reasons , many of the more outspoken PC gamers took on a grudge, blaming the console gamers for perpetuating this.

Disappointment->Grudge->Hate->Blind Raging Idiocy*
All backed with a growing, healthy dose of elitism.

(*This is the step where some PC gamers rage about Terraria getting ported TO consoles more than a full year later)

Andy Chalk:
The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something.

Making a sarcastic bias general statement about a group of people is no better than making a negative bias statement about that same group of people.

Following your example, perhaps I should start alluding that all game-journalists are disdainful, pretentious spin-doctors.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119604-Gamers-Rage-About-Bayonetta-2-on-Wii-U

I'm feeling quite smug right about now; Andy takes a jab at PC gamers for getting a bit ragey over Terraria getting a console release and then Bayonetta 2 gets announced for the Wii U and some console gamers start making death threats because it's not on their system of choice.

Every community has a subsection of elitists, idiots, and wankers; it's not PC exclusive. :)

People will always find something to complain about.

Give it a week or two and the PC elitist will forget about this and start whining about something else.

oh pc elitism making console fanboyism look relatively intelligent in comparison.

What incendiary garbage. I'm getting sick of these "articles".

Really, PC gamers are upset? Really? Where did you get this consensus exactly.

I've come to realize something after many of my young years spent reading articles and "journalists". The sole reason to be a journalist today is so you can become a disinformationist, provocateur and liar. Almost every segment of media is saturated with articles that seemingly have the sole purpose of dividing people and being provocative.

if the 'extra content' is only released on the consoles, then i will be upset. but till i know if this is the case or not id say im indiferent

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here