Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Pigeon_Grenade:
if the 'extra content' is only released on the consoles, then i will be upset. but till i know if this is the case or not id say im indiferent

From a purely economic standpoint you'd say that there's no reason because back-releasing the content wouldn't really do anything to stimulate the sales for the PC version- People tend to forget that most games make their bread and butter in their first ~6 months of release, and anything else is just crumbs, if that.

But an indie developer, one who's already made over two million bucks on a 16 mb game, that basically borrows sprites and art direction from SNES era games, was developed by all of maybe two people, wouldn't want you to believe they're making their games solely for the purpose of making a profit, would they?

If you missed it, Re-logic is about as close to the antithesis of indie gaming as you can get short of going by EA's "Indie" brand. They don't like you, they just want your money, and if you bug them enough they'll also want you to respect the ever loving shit outta them.

Finally! been waiting for this to come to consoles!

Krantos:

Um, how so?

Console gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

PC gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

Seems pretty equivalent to me.

Demonstrate a similar level of people losing their shit. Give me comparable instances like this Terraria thread or the Dark Souls "controversy."

So much for PC gamers showing that they're a dignified, respectful, and mature part of the gaming community that can cope with the fact that some PC games are branching out to console audiences to reach a wider market.

ThunderCavalier:
So much for PC gamers showing that they're a dignified, respectful, and mature part of the gaming community that can cope with the fact that some PC games are branching out to console audiences to reach a wider market.

People on facebook are being stupid, therefore all people are stupid?

Interesting logic.

I guess by that logic, All Americans are xenophobic racists based upon the "Pearl Harbour Revenge" facebook posts that saw news earlier.

There are people being rational about getting screwed over.

They're still getting screwed over, however.

Are the articles on this site supposed to be consistently inflammatory on purpose?

PC gamer here, I could give a shit, the game wasn't very fun and it was badly designed. I'm confused as to why anyone enjoys it.

Zachary Amaranth:

Krantos:

If I say "Women have anger issues" does that prove me right when women get mad at me? No. It's a deliberate attempt at baiting.

He calls gamers insecure and they behave in an insecure fashion. That's not quite the same as women "getting mad," it's people actually behaving from a consistent root cause.

Also, it's hardly "baiting." Dude does this to console gamers. Hell, the SITE does it to console gamers a lot, and somehow its only when PC gamers get the rare barb that someone loses their shit.

Why exactly is that?

I mean, using your example, you would piss off both men and women if you said to them "(your respective gender) has anger issues."

So why aren't Console kiddies, the ones often painted as immature dudebros, the ones stomping a mudhole in Andy and the Escapist?

Because, most of the time, the only insults tossed at the console gamers comes from the forum community, not the site owners/operators/writers.

I read many of the articles written for this site. It's an extraordinarily rare thing to see someone "poke fun at" or insult console gamers in their news post.

However, it's almost a given that, if PC gaming or PC gamers are brought up, at some point in the article an insult will be levied on PC gamers as a whole. Sometimes passive-aggressively. Other times, blatantly so.

Whether it's done with malicious intent or just in jest is irrelevant. When insults of that nature are thrown around so often it makes it seem as if the site itself actually believes them to be true.

So really, is it so hard to understand why PC gamers around here take such offense to Andy Chalks comments? When you're constantly met with such insults, on a regular basis, it's a pretty big blow to see them coming from someone of such a high position within the site.

Besides, much of the ire being shown isn't so much because of the nature of the comment but rather that Mr. Chalk made such an inflammatory comment in the first place. And, in a "news" post. It doesn't speak well of the site.

Regardless, I think it's time everyone grew up a little. All this petty squabbling and childish behavior is just damned depressing.

It's no wonder the world at large still views video games as a childish past-time. Look at how most of us act...

Depulcator:
Finally! been waiting for this to come to consoles!

acosn:

Pigeon_Grenade:
if the 'extra content' is only released on the consoles, then i will be upset. but till i know if this is the case or not id say im indiferent

From a purely economic standpoint you'd say that there's no reason because back-releasing the content wouldn't really do anything to stimulate the sales for the PC version- People tend to forget that most games make their bread and butter in their first ~6 months of release, and anything else is just crumbs, if that.

But an indie developer, one who's already made over two million bucks on a 16 mb game, that basically borrows sprites and art direction from SNES era games, was developed by all of maybe two people, wouldn't want you to believe they're making their games solely for the purpose of making a profit, would they?

If you missed it, Re-logic is about as close to the antithesis of indie gaming as you can get short of going by EA's "Indie" brand. They don't like you, they just want your money, and if you bug them enough they'll also want you to respect the ever loving shit outta them.

If they want my Support in the future then the 'extra content' that they are saying is gonna be on the consoles Should also go to the Pc users as well, i get the Extra Contents supposed to make ps3 and 360 users to buy the game, if he Upsets the Established fan base by withholding Content that all players should have. i dont see a reason to buy any other games he might make down the line

Between this and that Bayonetta 2 bitch-fest, what's with all the console hating going on lately? Didn't we all get over that shit by the time we turned 18?

I'm glad that it's going to be played by console gamers, if only to see the creative things that they can do with it.

I've only played the PC version, myself, but since I've already got top gear and my sky-base of awesome, and since the devs have abandoned the game, I've pretty much resigned myself to purchasing Starbound as soon as it's released.

I have not read through the many pages of this thread, but as far as I'm concerned I think that console based controls could suit Terraria well and it is good that the game was popular enough to get a console release.

Most PC gamers, like most people in general, are almost completely retarded. I'd like to say this surprises me as a result, but I would be lying.

The only thing worse than people being so selfish and exclusivist as to be upset about a game they like being enjoyed by more people is that most of them lack the decency to realize how completely absurd their reaction is and indeed think they have something to be legitimately upset about.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious as to how they'll adapt the game to a controller.

Kingjackl:
Between this and that Bayonetta 2 bitch-fest, what's with all the console hating going on lately? Didn't we all get over that shit by the time we turned 18?

Really its like this:

PC gamers are whiners
Console gamers are whiners

We are all normal damnit! Move along! :P

Fair play to them for expanding, can't for the life of me figure out how the controls will work on a gamepad though, I predict it will be very fiddly.

Vigormortis:

Because, most of the time, the only insults tossed at the console gamers comes from the forum community, not the site owners/operators/writers.

lolno.

I read many of the articles written for this site. It's an extraordinarily rare thing to see someone "poke fun at" or insult console gamers in their news post.

Only in the same sense that Andy Chalk, a PC gamer, hates PC games and always slams them and acts like...I may not get the act words, but this was the sentiment..."PC games murdered his family and raped him."

I'm amazed by the rage that can ensue when a game is announced to be released on a different platform. This reminds me of the time that Mass Effect 2 for PS3 was announced. So-called fans simply lost it. I guess this is because people want to protect their platform of choice since they paid good money for it. I'm not like that myself. I only care about what games I can play, not what games others can't play.

Well I'm just wondering how they are going to do the control scheme for consoles, not exactly easy to do a 2D mining game with analogue stick I would have thought.

Anyway OT I don't care, I bought the game for 1.24 or something, and have spent over 100 hours on it, definitely worth it. I personally think they deserve the extra revenue they'll get from the console market, and I hope it goes well for them.#

I'm a little angry that the players who own the PC version don't even get the option to pay for the new content to play it on the PC itself. I love the fact that more people are going to be allowed to play it, and there's a chance that I might even buy it if the controls manage to work. I'd rather have the option to purchase some new content for the PC version as well, is all.

Zachary Amaranth:

Vigormortis:

lolno.

Only in the same sense that Andy Chalk, a PC gamer, hates PC games and always slams them and acts like...I may not get the act words, but this was the sentiment..."PC games murdered his family and raped him."

Instead of just dismissively "loling" at my post, can you actually provide any examples of a time or article in which a site writer or contributor made generalized, blanket statements (of an insulting nature) about console gamers?

Sure, I've seen plenty of times when they made an insulting quip about a small group within the console gaming community, but I can't recall a single time when a comment was made about the console community as a whole. At least, no where near the caliber of Mr. Chalks, "...PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch".

And, even if he is a PC gamer himself, it doesn't automatically excuse his remarks. Even if they were made in jest, they were still inflammatory and very unprofessional. It paints a bad image of the "integrity" of the site, given the statements were made in a news post. Namely because it's clear they were made simply to drum up views and heated discussion.

For the record, I would be just as bothered by the remarks made in the news post if they had been towards console gamers.

CriticKitten:

Andy Chalk:
The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something.

So how's your attempt to get a job at Fox News going?

What an absolutely blatant and shameless nerd-bait attempt. Get off your damn high horse, Andy, because there are elitists in every single gaming format. PC gamers merely get the raw end of that deal because they are used to significantly higher standards and expectations.

I'm calling this article out for what it is: baiting with misleading and downright false information.

There are always people who will rage at everything, but I'm somewhat in doubt that every single complaint about Terraria coming to consoles is purely doing it because "boo hoo it's no longer a PC exclusive game". I play games on my PC, and I'm happy for the console gamers because Terraria is a very fun game. But let's be honest, PC gamers aren't just mad because the game is coming to consoles.

I'm betting it has a lot more to do with the fact that Terraria had a massive laundry list of promised updates and bug fixes, all of which were abandoned at the drop of a hat by the game's developers. And then suddenly, out of the blue, they announce that they're releasing the game to consoles and they're going to give the console version several pieces of exclusive content which the PC gamers may never end up receiving at any point in time. To the people who bought the game when it was just a fledgling indie title, yeah, it probably DOES feel a bit like a betrayal, because it's those people on Steam who threw in their ten bucks that Terraria became what it is today. Terraria and its devs owe their entire success story to a game and a playerbase that they effectively ditched without a formal explanation and with many promises left unfulfilled. Hell, if not for its success on Steam, it would likely not be getting this big console release at all. So the people who helped make them big are being ignored while the devs move to focus and cater to a group of players who (for the most part) have no clue what their game is? I can see why some PC gamers would be pissed about that. How the writer of this article missed out on these things is just baffling to me.

How about some journalistic integrity for next time?

Seconded. This article is really not particularly accurate, given that it doesn't explain the actual reason for people being annoyed at the developers.

The Lunatic:

ThunderCavalier:

People on facebook are being stupid, therefore all people are stupid?

Interesting logic.

I guess by that logic, All Americans are xenophobic racists based upon the "Pearl Harbour Revenge" facebook posts that saw news earlier.

There are people being rational about getting screwed over.

They're still getting screwed over, however.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it look like I was generalizing an entire community.

But really, a community's voice is the most vocal one, so whether these guys are the minority or not, they're the ones getting the attention.

Sadly, idiots attract a bigger bonfire than a bunch of silent, rational people. ... Why the fuck else does CoD still have an audience?

Zachary Amaranth:

Krantos:

Um, how so?

Demonstrate a similar level of people losing their shit. Give me comparable instances like this Terraria thread or the Dark Souls "controversy."

*cough*

Front page of the escapist there. Bayonetta was a 360/PS3 exclusive. Never saw a PC release, so all the rage is coming from console owners at this point.

Between this and Bayonetta one could begin to lose faith in gamin in general. I mean it is getting harder and harder not to type cast everyone as self-entiteld whiners.

Ive never really got this whole Pc vs consle war mainly because i play on both but i guess every war has its traiters

I love all the console people going "and this is why PC gamers suck"
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

Seen much worse rage than this from console players to be honest lol

I checked the links and while this news post tries to make "PC Gamers" out to be spitting fire and hurling abuse with threads in the 1000's...

It's not...

There's some disgruntled PC Players oh yes! and I can see somewhat why, But seriously?

I'm mostly a PC Gamer but I play consoles too, I have noticed some people here saying sorry for other PC gamers actions and comments... I'm not, reason being its not any where remotely close to bad as this Andy makes it out to be.

When I read the article I had to make a Double take on the URL make sure I was reading The Escapist and not Kotaku.

I don't think anyone here realizes that the console port is being handled by 505 Games.

No, really. I don't care that they published ArmA games. The rest of their track record is pretty telling of their (in)competence.

You know what the worst thing about this particular circumstance is? Gaslamp Games offered to take over development, and Tiy and Blue were in favour. Redigit? IGNORED them.

-Dragmire-:

Lumber Barber:

MrTub:

He changed it from this

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"

Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.

Always like this? He's a pc gamer himself(check out his avatar), he just decided to poke fun at pc gamers this time.

It'd be a bigger deal if he were misleading people about a law being passed or about someone dying but this is just about a port, chill out. There's got to be better things in this world to get angry at.

These folk are angry because he bent the truth about a story and made a generalisation about an entire subculture (PC gamers) in order to generate hits for his article. The fact that he is a PC gamer himself doesn't suddenly give him the right to represent all of them in such statements.

It's not relevant what the subject matter of the article is either. If a journalist's integrity is in question then that integrity becomes dubious from then on, not just for every other article he writes, but for every other article in that publication as well. Most of us want The Escapist to do well, but how can it, if it relies on short term shock tactics to get hits? How can it do well if half its articles really are just jokes or troll posts "poking fun" at certain subcultures?

I don't know about you, but I come to The Escapist for deep, meaningful, interesting articles about the gaming industry. I've seen some great pieces of that kind in this magazine. Seeing Chalk take this direction quite often, often making articles with a conservative bent designed to enrage left wing people does not warm me to what he's doing for the magazine. Bias is a serious issue that the magazine should address, and more thoroughly than it has been.

In my opinion as a fan of this site, it risks selling its legitimacy for a few site hits every time it grants Chalk article space.

Daystar Clarion:
This seems very familiar...

So familiar.

I just can't put my finger on it...

I think it rhymes with Hark Rolls.

I've been thinking "Bayonetta". It's almost the same issue. Honestly, what is so horrible about console ports, these days? Why shouldn't more people be allowed to play on their preferred platform?

Mmh, I had a lot of fun with Terraria on PC, and frankly? Good luck to the Dev team, you do what the hell you want with your IP, christ I bought it on a 75%mega-sale for 1.50 or something, I'm not in a position to demand a Damn thing extra from Re-Logic - Further updates after 1.2 would've been nice, but I'm in no way entitled to demand them so long as the game works and is physically playable, which... let's face it, an iPhone'd look at it and go "Dude, C'mon, I can run unreal 3 engine stuff, give me a challenge"...

Silva:

-Dragmire-:

Lumber Barber:

Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.

Always like this? He's a pc gamer himself(check out his avatar), he just decided to poke fun at pc gamers this time.

It'd be a bigger deal if he were misleading people about a law being passed or about someone dying but this is just about a port, chill out. There's got to be better things in this world to get angry at.

These folk are angry because he bent the truth about a story and made a generalisation about an entire subculture (PC gamers) in order to generate hits for his article. The fact that he is a PC gamer himself doesn't suddenly give him the right to represent all of them in such statements.

It's not relevant what the subject matter of the article is either. If a journalist's integrity is in question then that integrity becomes dubious from then on, not just for every other article he writes, but for every other article in that publication as well. Most of us want The Escapist to do well, but how can it, if it relies on short term shock tactics to get hits? How can it do well if half its articles really are just jokes or troll posts "poking fun" at certain subcultures?

I am a part of the pc gaming crowd and took it as a harmless joke. From my point of view that's all it was, so I may be projecting quite a bit when I see others are insulted by it and tell them they shouldn't be.

I don't know about you, but I come to The Escapist for deep, meaningful, interesting articles about the gaming industry. I've seen some great pieces of that kind in this magazine. Seeing Chalk take this direction quite often, often making articles with a conservative bent designed to enrage left wing people does not warm me to what he's doing for the magazine. Bias is a serious issue that the magazine should address, and more thoroughly than it has been.

I come for select vids, some forum talk at times and general info about the industry. The only useful info in the article is that Terraria is getting a console port, the rest is not relevant and seems to have been used to fill the article for space.

Also, most news that we get is biased to some degree. I believe that it is up to the viewer to look at many sources in order to properly inform themselves of the topics that are important to them.

Krantos:

Zachary Amaranth:

Krantos:

Um, how so?

*cough*

Front page of the escapist there. Bayonetta was a 360/PS3 exclusive. Never saw a PC release, so all the rage is coming from console owners at this point.

So you've got one compared to the several instances here? Awesome.

Zachary Amaranth:

So you've got one compared to the several instances here? Awesome.

lol. OK, obviously this is a waste of time. You asked for an example, I gave one, now you're claiming one isn't enough.
I think it's pretty obvious this discussion is getting us nowhere, so I'm done.

ThaBenMan:
Unbelievable... PC Elitism at it's worst. They should be happy that more people will get to play a great game, and that the developer will become more successful and in turn make more stuff. That is ridiculous that anybody should think the game belongs solely to the PC users.

The hell did you smoke bro?
The entire issue has nothing to do with the fact that the game is released for consoles. Nobody EVER has voiced an opinion that consoles should not get terraria.
The issue is and was that terraria was discontinued on PC after a few patches, with lots of promises thrown away.
Now it turns out that the author had more than enough time and will to throw together a console port with new content that he does not intend to release for PC.

Thats the issue.
The people who bought the game for PC have been screwed over by red no less than 3 times.
First when he suddenly and without warning cut development
Second when it turned out that he would continue to work on other projects (contradicting his statement about family and kids)
Third when it turns out that he made a console edit with new content and suddenly has no time/will again to release it for PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here