Ubisoft Wants Uplay Open to All

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Wants Uplay Open to All

Ubisoft hopes to someday offer games from other publishers through its Uplay digital distribution service.

Ubisoft recently became the latest major publisher to launch a home-grown digital distribution platform, adding its Uplay service to a field that already includes Steam and Origin, plus independent distributors like GOG, Desura, Green Man Gaming and others. For the moment, Uplay offers only Ubisoft titles, but that could, and likely will, change in the future.

"We remain open to opportunities," Ubisoft's Stephanie Perotti told MCV. "Right now, we're starting the service with our own games, but as we go forward, we plan to potentially add other titles."

Uplay actually launched back in late 2009 in conjunction with Assassin's Creed II, but at the time was primarily a DRM and DLC system. Ubisoft then rolled out the "Uplay Passport," its version of the "online pass," with the 2011 launch of Driver: San Francisco, and Perotti said the publisher's plans go beyond turning Uplay into a mere digital distribution platform.

"We continue to evolve the service across all platforms, including PC, console and mobile," she said. "The more Ubisoft games you play, the more rewards you can get, as well as several online services that players would expect."

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but an awful lot of PC gamers resented EA's intrusion into the Steam-space with Origin. Will they be willing to make room for yet another player - especially one who's been so disdainful of their platform in the past?

Source: MCV

No offense, Ubi, but you may be biting off more than you can chew. Thus far UPlay has been an almost total clusterfuck.

Half the time it doesn't work. You have a lot to prove before people start taking anything you do on the PC seriously. It hasn't really been your strong point in the past.

That's all I have to say.

Dear Ubisoft.

Your bloody Uplay bullshit prevented me from playing my legally purchased game due to technical issues.

If you think I'm going to put my credit card details through it then you get to fuck right the hell off.

Regards, Murray.

No Ubisoft. First you have to prove that your existence is worth continuing.

Dear Ubisoft,

I stopped buying your games when you introduced the UbiLauncher and I'll continue to ignore your games as long as that plattform (now named uPlay) is mandatory. If you want my money again, get rid of that thing.

Thank you
A former customer

P.S. Fuck You

It offers next to nothing and it barely functions. Why would anyone choose uplay over anything else? That's assuming that people haven't already written Ubisoft off for their remark that the vast majority of PC gamers are pirates. Maybe they'll never learn.

Let's see ... How many people in this thread condemning ubisoft will buy AC3?
And how many of those will do so for the PC?

That said, I'm honestly surprised by how well it has been working for me. It's as much of a pile of shit as Origin and GFWL are, but at least it didn't fail me yet - but that's only because I keep avoiding always-on games as much as I can.

Edit: Also, I use Steam and thus only use the launcher part of uPlay, so ... I think I couldn't care less.

That'll be the day Half Life 3 comes out.

Then why is it forcing me to auto-updating, do their games not work, and will you get more response out of a brick wall than out of Ubisoft customer support?

Man, I used to like Ubisoft as a company. They brought decent games. But them stealing € 15 for From Dust from me was a lesson. No more Ubisoft games, and no more games with mandatory intrusive DRM schemes like launchers and online connections.

UPlay has been a pain in the arse for me not letting me play my games as the server was down. Though I do like how their achievement system allows you to exchange your points for unlockable items between games. Which actually give achievements a use.

Zhukov:
Dear Ubisoft.

Your bloody Uplay bullshit prevented me from playing my legally purchased game due to technical issues.

If you think I'm going to put my credit card details through it then you get to fuck right the hell off.

Regards, Murray.

I agree with this sentiment. Ubisoft only had assassins creed going for it and its already running that series into the ground so I wont only get to ignore this but with glee.

Also every publisher can put their own DD up and I wouldn't care since I wouldn't use it ever. PC market is strong and if they want to divide it up and make it weaker, it would only be hurting gaming as a whole.

I really only use Steam on PC and get what isn't available there for my console. Since I cant figure Ubisoft making anything PC exclusive, I couldn't care less.

On another topic, I'm still hoping the new Sim City wont be Origin exclusive cause I want to play it, but wont on that platform.

Yeah I'll get right on that ubisoft right after hell freezes over or pc gamers get an unreserved apology for you accusing us all of been pirates y'know whatever comes first.

I'll put it this way, as a gamer I don't want to have to work through multiple distribution platforms for my games, I want to be able to use one platform and have all of my stuff there in one place. Digital distribution is bad enough without complicating it.

I understand that the various companies want a cut of that sweet, sweet cash that comes in from controlling a distribution platform, but really... it's not worth the hassle, I'm not going to buy into something that intentionally inconveinences me, just so I can put money directly into the pockets of the guys causing me the inconveinence.

What's more STEAM is admittedly the only platform that has really offered me an incentive to use their service... deep discounts, including on games that are only a couple of months old at times. Services like Origin won't even offer that kind of incentive, so really... what's the point? They offer me nothing that makes me want to deal with a company specific service.

Not to mention the simple fact that EA managed to really screw the pooch on Origin for me, on a personal level. Back when ToR came out there was a mistake with EA and Gamestop and my pre-order wound up going through as for a standard edition of ToR when I paid for a collector's edition. I talked to EA, went back to Gamestop and got a proper code, BUT since I had already entered the previous code (for the standard edition) into my account I couldn't enter the CE code... you can't "update" to a new version of the same project. EA customer service told me the only thing I could do is create another Origin account and register my CE there (time was of the essence at the time to get onto the Beta list, since allegedly it was going to be first come first serve), which I did. EA customer service assured me there was going to be a way to combine my accounts so I wouldn't have to login to two seperate accounts for differant games (ie my CE, and my other EA games that wound up registered with Origin). With two accounts set up I managed to wind up installing differant games into differant accounts (ME 3, Amalur, etc...) since it was hard to keep track of which one was logged in, I had all my games but had to play login games to make sure I had the right Origin account working with each one. Despite numerous attempts to contact customer service, I received no real responses, they basically started ignoring me, not giving a crap about this problem they would up causing by forcing me to make multiple origin accounts when they screwed up a registration code.

The above story has little to do with Uplay, but the bottom line is that Origin is already a totally inconsiderate pain in the butt that doesn't even wind up saving me any money or nything. Why the heck do I want to screw around with Ubisoft's version as well? While others might have had problems, I will say STEAM has never given me a problem, despite my dislike of digital distribution in general, it might very well get to the point where I'm going to refuse to use any game that requires a platform other than STEAM (though I prefer games that don't require any of this digital nonsense at all) because I'm tired of the headaches.

To be honest at one point EA had some leverage on me, because I really liked Bioware games, but given what they did to Dragon Age 2, and Mass Effect 3's ending, it's not like I'm in a mad rush to try the next installments in those series, especially if they are going to shoehorn me into wrestling with Origin and keeping track of which account they get installed into. Ubisoft doesn't even have a Bioware going for them, I'm hardly a huge Assasin's Creed fan, and I thought the last "Heroes Of Might and MAgic" game was mediocre.

UPlay is terrible. They can hope and wish all they want, but you will never get me to buy a game through that piece of shit launcher.

I'm not gonna lie, I hate Ubisoft, so I'm a bit biased against them. But their terrible launcher and awful DRM has prevented me from buying any of their games for a while now. Their games just aren't worth the hassle of dealing with them. Also though, I am fully invested in Steam. I have over 300 games on my Steam account, why would I ever choose to use another platform. I have bought certain Origin only games on their, but I don't touch those games at this point, so it'll be a long while before I buy another game on their. EA and Ubisoft don't have the games backing them for me to even come close to potentially giving outlets any kind of consideration in the foreseeable future.

I have never heard of uplay. How old is it?

As long as they don't do the EA douchebag move of taking away already published games on Steam just to promote their own system, I couldn't care less about what they do with it. I have enough crap running in the background on my computer already. I don't need yet another digital distribution service.

FEichinger:

That said, I'm honestly surprised by how well it has been working for me. It's as much of a pile of shit as Origin and GFWL are, but at least it didn't fail me yet - but that's only because I keep avoiding always-on games as much as I can.

Edit: Also, I use Steam and thus only use the launcher part of uPlay, so ... I think I couldn't care less.

I've only played the first AC, to my knowledge it's the only one without uPlay.
I haven't bought a ubisoft game since they started uPlay and, if Michael Pachter is to be believed; Ubisoft's PC sales are down 90% since the institution of uPlay.

Hello Ubisoft, congratulations on the birth of your healthy new baby marketing-executive's-bellybutton-queef-that-Dave-from-the-Social Media Interfacing-team-thought-was-totally-awesome, my only question is; if I buy one of your games, will I be forced to install and actively run the bloated infesto-ware that you will laughably refer to as a "digital distribution platform" in order to play aforementioned game, even if I bought it from Steam, or Amazon, or god-forbid a retail outlet in the meatspace(I feel dirty even saying it)?

If your answer even resides on the same continent as "yes", then kindly find the tallest point you can on any natural feature or man-made structure, and leap from it screaming at the top of your lungs "I am a worthless excuse for a human being who's sole reason for existence was screwing over consumers, and I can no longer live with the shame of living a life so devoid of societal value, or with the memory of that Christmas party when Dave from the Social Media Interface team did something unspeakable to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....*splat*" - you can see why I suggested a particularly tall location.

Seriously though, another bit of mindless bloatware that I have to install on my system, the EULA for which is doubtless akin to a combination of a contract with Satan for my soul signed in blood and the briefing documents given to the Soviet Party's head spymaster when Stalin came to power? No ta Ubisoft.

no ubisoft... i wont get uplay just to play badly coded games. i only have origin for BF3 other then that i use steam willingly because it actually is useful other then distributing games

i honestly do forget that Uplay exists from time to time. Only thing i have that uses it is Anno 2070

Bet microsoft are relieved, finally a DD service that could be potentially worse than gfwl. Of course I still won't touch an ubisoft game regardless of where it is sold. I may buy AC3 at a heavy discount at some point if ubisoft do come good on the no more intrusive drm promise but even then I will treat any product or service from ubisoft in the same manner as a tiger with a bomb strapped to it, because frankly I don't trust them.

Maybe some day Steam will have some healthy competition...

Not today though, and probably not from this.

Uplay is pretty neat in that I get to unlock special skins for characters and dashboard themes...and that's about it
it's cute but not much else really

but hey free stuff for using it why not (same with Bing Rewards) lol

FEichinger:

I know I certainly wont be purchassing it and I am a PC player. So far Ubisoft has lost 6 sales directly from me

Ubisoft keep showing how much they love PC gamers. I also find it funny that they want it to be open to all when most game releases shows it's closed to all making it impossible to play their games.

Personally it hasn't affected me one bit so far so I don't have any strong feelings on the subject. Hopefully expanding the service will improve the ability to actually connect. I have an extremely stable internet connection so always on DRM has never bothered me, but for the sake of those who don't have that I hope things will change.

Buying a Ubisoft game for PC is a clear sign that you're into some seriously nasty S&M.

Fantastic. This will probably have the most draconian DRM and lock people out of their games half the time.

I wonder if Ubisoft ever put together the point that the games NOT WORKING or being unable to play may or may not have a very direct correlation with their wildly speculated piracy rates.

Anyhow, I'm glad that they drop the ridiculous DRM, hopefully this is an example to others who may have considered it too. Unlike many, I'm also not entirely against a competition for Steam, as long as they do it properly and fairly. Steam has left some pretty big shoes to fill for anyone remotely interested in entering the era of digital distribution. By properly, I mean that it actually WORKS.

the achievements stuff is actually a good thing. it has purpose and you get something out of it as a reward. for this, uplay is actually good. the rest, well, im still happy with steam. origin worked so far as well when i had to get bioware points and the DLC CQ for Bf3.
at least they removed the constant online stuff which is a plus.
but for now, i stay neutral to it. since i really never had any problems with uplay with any of my legally purchased games.

There distribution service that resembles Steam and was describe similar to Steam is going to work like Steam. This was completely unexpected and I did not see this coming at all. I am completely surprised and shock, simply shock and surprised, and shocked, I did not see it coming. I am so-*explosion* huh, apparently the sarcasm scanner really does only go up to 9000.

Oh wait, I forgot this is a place for people to complain about Ubi and there DRM despite the fact that Steam, who they are emulating, is DRM. Ah, I'll just cut to the chase and post nothing, writing a bunch of cheap jabs that are worthless to discuss is too much work when I can just post nothing and have the same effect as all those other posters! I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T, S-M-R-T. *Another explosion* I guess the rage meter also only goes to 9000.

FEichinger:

Well, AC3 won't have always on DRM. I heard you only activate once, and can do so on multiple computers.

So, I might buy AC3 on launch. Maybe.
If by others' accounts the combat is actually interesting.
I mean Assassin's Creed is so easy it is almost as casual as CoD.
I'll play it eventually, sure, but casual games are not worth a AAA release's price tag.

Also, I would also like to see if the port is actually good. I mean sure, there are more bells and whistles on PC versions of other AC games, but the controls are a lot of fighting the camera.
Hello, PC, 1:1 mouselook is all you need to never have to fight the camera. People bitch about "auto aim" on consoles, but it's effectively "auto camera" ... and just as annoying in 3rd person games.
(Those Batman games are better with m&k controls than a controller, from a comparison standpoint)
So, if I have to end up playing with a controller anyway, and the game isn't challenging enough for me to record youtube footage, I might as well try it on the WiiU or something.

As for buying stuff off uPlay, we'll see.
If their prices are competitive, their download speed high, and the site navigation is speedy.
Most importantly, automatic updates.
'cos if you sit down to play a steamworks game, it's ready to play, right?
Not the case with origin .. which decides to patch stuff after you launch them.
I mean DRM sucks monkey balls, so you'd think something as simple as not having to wait on a patch would be the very least they can offer.
But noooo.

So far UPlay has only been a minor annoyance to me, but I have no intention of purchasing games through it. I wouldn't even know how to go about it since it doesn't appear to have a dedicated launcher. Personally I am opposed to publisher specific DD platforms, Origin has not been a major hassle for me but I have yet to purchase anything through it. Valve has spent a lot of time on Steam and found a very good formula. But with EA and Ubisoft releasing their own platforms I dread for the future of DD as publishers start drawing back into walled gardens where you have to go to their specific DD platform to get their games instead of a onestop shop like Steam.

It's baby steps forward, with the abandonment of Always Online DRM scheme I have mild hopes for Ubisoft.

Then again hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here