Apple Announces iPhone 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Apple Announces iPhone 5

The oft-rumored and long-awaited successor to the iPhone 4S will ship on September 21st.

It's almost an understatement to say that Apple's iPhone has been single-handedly responsible for popularizing mobile gaming over the past several years. And today, in a press conference in San Francisco, Apple's Phil Schiller debuted the next generation of the company's flagship product: the iPhone 5. The new phone is loaded with features that should excite consumers and tech aficionados alike. The iPhone 5 is thinner than its predecessors, and features a larger screen, higher resolution camera, and faster wireless networking.

More notably for gamers, the new phone is equipped with the A6 system-on-a-chip, which Apple purports will run twice as fast as the A5 chip installed on the iPhone 4S. Smartphones are already capable of some pretty impressive graphical feats, but if the new iPhone is as powerful as Apple claims, the iPhone 5 may be setting a whole new bar for graphical performance.

Some developers have already gotten their hands on the new tech, and EA's Rob Murray made an appearance during the conference to demo Real Racing 3. Interestingly, the demo featured a multiplayer race - but not a simultaneous one. "Time-shifted multiplayer" is what EA calls it, and it was asynchronous. "I can challenge Vince one day," Murray explained, "And he can race me the next." While this sounds a lot like racing a friend's ghost - a feature we've had for decades - Murray was actually able to interact with his not-quite-there opponent, knocking the other car around.

The iPhone 5 will be available for pre-orders on Friday the 14th, and pricing will be tiered by flash memory size: $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB. It ships on September 21st for the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

Source: Engadget.com
Image: Venturebeat.com

>.>
<.<
nope, still not seeing the big deal here

though, it is mildly amusing it bragging about having better graphical power like the consoles will when the PS4 and 720 start they're marketing non sence

Some friends and I were looking at it today. It looks like a fairly good step up from the 4S and especially the 4. This might be the first time my initial reaction to an Apple product is positive. Still not buying one though, I just like Android OS better.

I was hoping for more specs than just has A6 chip. Anyone got a link on the specs?

but will the 16 gig be last years model?

why is the no link to apple?

Lunar Templar:
though, it is mildly amusing it bragging about having better graphical power like the consoles will when the PS4 and 720 start they're marketing non sence

Yeah! How dare they market visual power that fits literally in the palm of your hand! Don't those noobs just carry around a desktop in their back pocket?

GAunderrated:
I was hoping for more specs than just has A6 chip. Anyone got a link on the specs?

I don't think there are any real specs yet. This is their PR machine, though:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Basically, "bigger screen" and "things go fast."

That, combined with "it's shiny" should be enough for 90% of the Apple market.

Zachary Amaranth:

Lunar Templar:

Yeah! How dare they market visual power that fits literally in the palm of your hand! Don't those noobs just carry around a desktop in their back pocket?

GAunderrated:

I don't think there are any real specs yet. This is their PR machine, though:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Basically, "bigger screen" and "things go fast."

That, combined with "it's shiny" should be enough for 90% of the Apple market.

Thank you its just as I thought. It was a bunch of buzz words with no real meat. I'll wait till I get the specs and all the features before I consider a purchase.

Why thinner? Why in the world would i want it to be thinner?

Have the same thickness as the iPhone4S or whatever, and fill up that extra space with a larger battery.

I don't know about your average consumer, but 50% more battery life sounds a lot better than "a tiny bit thinner"

If this keeps up soon people will be getting iPhone cuts instead of paper cuts.

I would like to see specs before buy one

when will Apple get back on its riddelin, and figure out how to put out a new product that has better price structure. Wait for it... I don't care that it's a tiny bit faster (the last time they promised faster we got the waist of money that is the 4S (barely noticeable speed increase, and the "new" Serry [or how every you spell that copyright grab])

here's something that will get even a lot of Android users to buy a IPhone "hey we got a new IPhone its the same size as the last one, and only cost $100", but then I would still have the dirty feeling of owning an apple product. Second thought I can just use the pricing structure as a means to be smug at them.

Apple announces yet another overpriced underpowered locked down pile of garbage a year after the last announcement of overpriced underpowered locked down piles of garbage. Meanwhile anyone who tries to do anything even remotely similar gets sued into oblivion while all the Apple fan boys claim that the competition are merely copies of superior products.

How exactly is this news instead of just a given year after year?

Why do we need it thinner?
I'm scared I'll snap it between my thumb and forefinger.

in true apple form, I will wait until version 2 comes out three weeks later then buy that one, or get the old one for a few hundred cheeper lol

I think I will just stick with the 4S I won for free. Would never actually buy any apple product.

Curious how tonight was the first time in over a year that I have actually vomitted. Granted there was a sizeable quantity of alcohol involved, by nowhere near what I've consumed in the past. Perhaps I'm allergic to corporate bullshit.

$200 in the US, but 530 in the UK?! Suck it, Apple.

Oirish_Martin:

The initial price for the phone is subsidized by the carrier in the U.S., and you have to sign a two year contract. We generally pay through the nose monthly in the U.S. for things like data, minutes, and unlimited text.

Yearly mobile phone costs are much more expensive in the U.S. compared to other markets.[1]

Wait.... $399? that's with a plan right.... because that seems stupidly low for an Apple product.

I have heard some very disturbing things about the productions facilities where these things are produced. Not that this is any exception to the norm but I have been repeatedly told that Apple supports a worker friendly production environment and a recent interview if true completely contradicts this.

Saulkar:
I have heard some very disturbing things about the productions facilities where these things are produced. Not that this is any exception to the norm but I have been repeatedly told that Apple supports a worker friendly production environment and a recent interview if true completely contradicts this.

Without going into too much detail, there are suicide nets to stop people from jumping off.

GAunderrated:

Saulkar:

Without going into too much detail, there are suicide nets to stop people from jumping off.

I do not get what you mean. Are you referring to some sort of worker support program or whatnot?

Saulkar:

who the fuck told you apple is worker friendly? Apple is one of the least worket friendly companies out there. Their own programmers and tech workers arent even supplied decently with software or hardware to work with! They are shit to work for. Im generalizing of course, but from all the people i know that work for them, they all immediatly tell me without flinching that they are shit bosses.

CAPTCHA: IS IT ENOUGH

well i dunno, is it?

draythefingerless:

well i dunno, is it?

Eh, you decide.

I was rather reserved in my choice of words to avoid an argument that I was not in the mood to get into.

P.S. I was told it was worker friendly by the people who sell the phones. I did not believe them given that they obviously did not know themselves.

Saulkar:

draythefingerless:

well i dunno, is it?

Eh, you decide.

I was rather reserved in my choice of words to avoid an argument that I was not in the mood to get into.

P.S. I was told it was worker friendly by the people who sell the phones. I did not believe them given that they obviously did not know themselves.

They are worker friendly in the US but in Foxcon where they are made the employees are some of the worst in the world treatment wise.

If you actually bought each new Iphone you'd be updating it more often then you should your desktop and it would probably cost more to do so. Maybe It's because I'm a computer scientist and a computer is the equivalent of a wrench in my mind and I usually don't get a new wrench unless the old one stops working.

If it's thinner, then it's probably lighter too, which means it won't be able to weigh down the run key when I'm playing quake.

I think that Apple will soon be the new definition of "rehash". And why the hell do they make it thinner? It's already so thin that I'm afraid to break one while holding it.
0/10 would not bang buy.

Dags90:

Oirish_Martin:

The initial price for the phone is subsidized by the carrier in the U.S., and you have to sign a two year contract. We generally pay through the nose monthly in the U.S. for things like data, minutes, and unlimited text.

Yearly mobile phone costs are much more expensive in the U.S. compared to other markets.[1]

Yes, after hearing people complaining that its much cheaper in the US than here in Australia, i went and did some research.

I went all the way to the checkout stage on 3 US carriers and 2 Australian ones, and Australians have it WAAAY cheaper.

The only thing we pay more for is outright phones, and its only $200-$300 more on an already $700-$800 purchase.

i think it's a dick move from apple to not include the lightning to 30 pins adaptor. See the Iphone 5 have this new dock connector called lightning. it have a larger bandwith, and it's smaller. It's also mean that EVERYTHING you might have buy over the years for your I phone/pad/pod/touch, etc, that connected with the dock connector, will not work on the Iphone 5. unless you got this 30$ adaptor sold only by apple (which by the way is 5$ more in canada, even if the canadian dollar have a higher value right now than the us dollar).

unless my phone broke, i will not get this one.

Saulkar:

GAunderrated:

Saulkar:

I do not get what you mean. Are you referring to some sort of worker support program or whatnot?

Insofar as nets will support someone who jumps off of a building, yes. The workers also had to sign pledges agreeing not to commit suicide in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

GAunderrated:

Saulkar:

draythefingerless:

well i dunno, is it?

Eh, you decide.

They are worker friendly in the US but in Foxcon where they are made the employees are some of the worst in the world treatment wise.

I don't understand why people only ever bring up Apple when talking about Foxconn? Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Nokia, Toshiba and Acer all use Foxconn labour, so why does one company get singled out?

The iPhone has become the Call of Duty of the phone world.

LOOK WE MADE A NEW PHONE! IT LOOKS PRETTIER THAN THE LAST ONE WE MADE!

Despite all the criticism, people will buy them anyway. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the average consumer.

I honestly can't see any new features with this one that would warrant an upgrade except wanting to part with your money as quickly as possible.

Personally, I think it's stupid to have a phone made of glass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here