Transformers 4 Will Star New Transformers

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Transformers 4 Will Star New Transformers

Poor action figure sales mean Optimus Prime may be out of a job.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon didn't impress critics. In fact, the kindest thing I've seen said about it was that it wasn't quite as awful as Revenge of the Fallen. Despite its critical trouncing, the film went on to be the most successful installment in the series and the fifth highest-grossing film in history. Yet, despite the film's success, merchandise sales were down when compared to the previous film. Hasbro thinks the problem is that kids are just sick of Optimus Prime and co.

According to a Hasbro presentation at the UBS Best of Americas 2012 Conference, using the same cast of robots in each film is what's slowing down merch sales. As a result, the company announced that the tentatively titled Transformers 4 will focus on a selection of new robot characters designed to appeal to kids.

While Transformers 4 will exist in the same continuity as the previous three films, it's also being billed as a kind of semi-reboot. Rumor has it that Bay intends to "clean house" and remove the numerous central human characters in favor of literal rather than figurative robot actors.

Hasbro also confirmed that the much-anticipated Stretch Armstrong film (no, really) is on track for a 2014 release, alongside a television series based on the same character. Breck Eisner, of Sahara fame, is set to direct. God have mercy on our souls.

Source: TFW2005

Ok seriously, if there's one thing you absolutely can't remove from transformers it's Optimus Prime. Remember the first Transformers movie back in 1986? Yeah not gonna help sales that.

Also of note, Peter Cullen has an awesome voice lol

Well, at least they're going in the right direction with nixing the human mains.

If you go to see a movie about giant robots, it best damn well be about giant robots and not some kind of willy nilly teenage romance bullshit.

After Revenge of the Fallen, there's really no news I can receive that will make me believe that the movie franchise can suck anymore. They could tell me that they were replacing the human characters with adorable monkeys that teach the Transformers how to dance and love. Couldn't be worse than Revenge. No matter what changes they want to make, Micheal Bay is still directing. That means another crappy Transformers movie.

If anything, I HOPE that they use entirely new characters. That way, it won't feel like my childhood is being violated when they take insane liberties with the main fantasy icons of my youth.

"...characters designed to appeal to kids."

Look. Movie studio. I don't know if you know this, but every kid ever wants to either be or meet one of the following:

a) Batman

b) Optimus Prime

If you remove Optimus Prime, in favour of some new guys tailor-made to be "appealing," we get into a bizarro universe a la Star Wars: Episode 1. Or, to put it another way: every kid wants to either be or meet one of the following:

a) Han Solo

b) Luke Skywalker

Going by this logic: no kid wants to be Anakin Skywalker. No kid wants to meet Jar-Jar fucking Binks. No kid wants to see an old, stoic Obi-Wan Kenobi complaining. As soon as you start trying to appeal to kids, you will lose what has already proven to appeal to kids. You get my drift, movie studio?

Mmm? Eh? Movie studio? You understand?

YOU'RE ALL FUCKING MORONS is my point here in case you haven't gathered.

There are actually action figures of bay transformers, those new hilariously complicated looking things of which the villains are completely indiscernible?

People tried this once before, and kids wanted blood.
This will be getting rid of the only reason people watched the last M.B Transformers, Optimus Prime.

verindae:
Ok seriously, if there's one thing you absolutely can't remove from transformers it's Optimus Prime. Remember the first Transformers movie back in 1986? Yeah not gonna help sales that.

I thought the main problem with the 86 film was that they killed Optimus Prime (and kept him dead).

If he's not present to begin with, I don't think the lack of Optimus in and of itself should be nearly the same kind of issue.

Kopikatsu:
Well, at least they're going in the right direction with nixing the human mains.

I thought the human soldiers were one of the best things about the movie. Especially once they proved to be effective allies of the Autobots who were genuinely helpful in combating the Decepticons.

You know, next to the actual transformers themselves.

And the music, of course. The music for those movies was awesome.

You know if this film has amazing music like the animated 80's one, then I might go watch it

Space Jawa:

Kopikatsu:

I thought the human soldiers were one of the best things about the movie. Especially once they proved to be effective allies of the Autobots who were genuinely helpful in combating the Decepticons.

You know, next to the actual transformers themselves.

And the music, of course. The music for those movies was awesome.

I didn't mean that the movie would have been better without humans in it, just that it would have been better without the boy and his girlfriend.

The 1986 movie was so much better than all the new ones. Even Optimus being killed off. At least it wasn't a stupid death by Micheal Bay.

Hasbro needs to realise they should stop blaming Prime for Micheal Bay. At this point Starscream would be a better director.

On that note: Perhap a fan protest needs to be ordered.

What does it matter? I couldn't even tell these transformers apart. The only ones I could tell apart were Optimus, Megatron and Starscream, because Starscream could fly. Then they introduced more flying ones and it basically boiled down to two robots.

What would NEW ones being added change? More in-comprehensiveness? Worse movies?

Maybe this has to do with the fact that if you already launched a Transformers action figure two times prior for each movie, most kids will already OWN an Optimus Prime figure and will want something else. No matter how good/bad your movies are, not many kids will buy the same action figure twice.

This is going to be great.

Maybe if the movies and characters were geared towards kids, they would sell better. From what I've seen of the Transformers trilogy, it looked like the target demographic was...exactly the kind of people Bob keeps talking about when he uses the Anti-Thinker voice. Granted it would be hilarious to watch Transformers 4 turn into Transformers: Attack of Unicron (ie: a live action adaptation of the 86 movie).

Also...WHY is there a Stretch Armstrong movie in the works?! Who the Hell asked for that?! Why would you DO that?!?!

I'm going to spoil the worst joke in the movie (the one that will likely be in the trailer too)

(Lead female/love interest to Stretch): "So...can you stretch any part of your body?"

Space Jawa:

verindae:

I thought the main problem with the 86 film was that they killed Optimus Prime (and kept him dead).

If he's not present to begin with, I don't think the lack of Optimus in and of itself should be nearly the same kind of issue.

Well the issue with the movie was that they killed of all the old characters, Optimus included, in favour of new "cool" characters designed for the kids. Except instead of buying the toys for the characters, fans apparently revolted against the changes to the point where Optimus was revived later on.

It wasn't so much that the old characters were gone, just that the replacements were so terrible and annoying.

I don't really think this is going to change anything :p. Most of the live-action Transformers are wildly different from their cartoon counter-part.

The Human Torch:
Maybe this has to do with the fact that if you already launched a Transformers action figure two times prior for each movie, most kids will already OWN an Optimus Prime figure and will want something else. No matter how good/bad your movies are, not many kids will buy the same action figure twice.

Good job I scrolled up before pressing post, you said exactly what I did.

Although if this is the kind of logic that leads to them creating new characters, just to sell some toys (as opposed to making the actual film good) then it's an idiotic idea.

At any rate:

do they not remember how fans came together to get the original voice of Optimus Prime? ... how many years has it been since he was prime again? and they claim people are sick of prime? -_- riiiight.

the show/movies may as well be called Optimus Prime.

Wait... they were aiming these movies as kids?... what...

LOL... what the hell. People actually LIKE Optimus? Seriously, Any incarnation. How? Seriously Optimus is like... I dunno... a sullen sounding Hulk Hogan (IE Yellow N Red full on 80s cheese, say your prayers, eat your vitimins nonsense). Most of the autobots blow and deserve to be scrapped anyway. Now if they want to bring out say Grimlock I do not think anyone would protest in the slightest. MAYBE Ultra Magnus, but that would take some char overhaul and transplanting more char traits from wider source material like the comics and such.

LOL, Im all for a new cast, If its done in a logical manner and does not further undo what little shreds of continuity and cohesion the various arcs have, or if it was something done specifically to help bolster continuity cohesion.

Oh God, they're touching Stretch Armstrong now. Someone call social services, please!

Next thing you know they'll making a Boglins and Popples movie.

I hope this bombs so badly that bay never gets another shot at anything.

New characters = not interested for me.

Grey Carter:
Yet, despite the film's success, merchandise sales were down when compared to the previous film. Hasbro thinks the problem is that kids are just sick of Optimus Prime and co.

No, the problem is that no-one actually cares in the slightest about the films. I won't say they're bad, because they're actually pretty good for what they are - mindless action and explosions. That's what a lot of people want to watch, and it's clear that Bay caters to that want very successfully. But mindless action is only good while you're watching it. 5 minutes after leaving the theatre it will be completely forgotten. With no attempt at making any memorable characters or impactful scenes, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to care about any of it enough to want to buy related merchandise afterwards. Hell, most people won't even know what anyone other than Optimus Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee were called. If you want a successful franchise, you have to give people something they'll remember and care about after the film is over. You can't just distract them with flashy lights for a couple of hours and expect them to keep giving you money once the flashy lights have gone.

What the hell are they smoking?

I guess someone didn't watch MovieBob's latest Big Picture, else they would know how stupid that course of action is.

Casual Shinji:
Oh God, they're touching Stretch Armstrong now. Someone call social services, please!

A boglins movie? I remember those guys! Lets be honest though Shinji, Boglins are a much more logical source material for a movie than, say... Battleship, and they made one of that...

Legion:

The Human Torch:

Although if this is the kind of logic that leads to them creating new characters, just to sell some toys (as opposed to making the actual film good) then it's an idiotic idea.

At any rate:

The one thing I never understand is when you have such an enormous choice of readymade characters, they try to design new ones and those mostly always fail.

Anyway, I am not saying that I don't get their logica when it comes to new characters, but why would you completely dump one of the most iconic characters of the franchise simply to sell new toys. Why not keep some of the icons (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock) and then add new characters to the roster. I mean, you have the Combaticons, the Technobots, Springer, Blurr, the Terrorcons...there is SO MUCH CHOICE!

The_Waspman:

Casual Shinji:

A boglins movie? I remember those guys! Lets be honest though Shinji, Boglins are a much more logical source material for a movie than, say... Battleship, and they made one of that...

After they've exhausted the 80's toys and cartoon franchises, they'll probably go after 80's pop hits.

I can't wait for Wake Me up Before You Go-Go the Movie.

Wait. Michael Bay made more than one Transformers movie?

The Human Torch:

Legion:

The Human Torch:

At any rate:

The one thing I never understand is when you have such an enormous choice of readymade characters, they try to design new ones and those mostly always fail.

Anyway, I am not saying that I don't get their logica when it comes to new characters, but why would you completely dump one of the most iconic characters of the franchise simply to sell new toys. Why not keep some of the icons (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock) and then add new characters to the roster. I mean, you have the Combaticons, the Technobots, Springer, Blurr, the Terrorcons...there is SO MUCH CHOICE!

I seriously doubt they would go into the later type of transformers that you listed, hell I would say that they barely even have the G1 types done right. I mean if the best they can do with Devastator is to make him into a giant vacuum cleaner then I don't want their writers anywhere remotely close to the newer stuff.

Space Jawa:

verindae:

That's a fair point but I think most fans are too attached to Optimus (doesn't matter which version), you could replace all of the others no worries, including the human element I'm sure, but I think they wanna be damned sure about the film they're making before they decide not to include him.

I really liked Optimus Prime in the Bay movies, he was the best damn character in all 3 films.

Just cut Bay loose, if it needs a new lease of life.

Legion:

At any rate:

And you adde the part that I was going to say! :S

New characters for kids? That is what they went for in 2, and failed miserably...! :/

I thought kids liked bumblebee, and the break dancing guy, and the awsome jets and stuff!?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here