Aliens: Colonial Marines Mistakes You For a Man

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Aliens: Colonial Marines Mistakes You For a Man

The Aliens: Colonial Marines preorder video invites you to "follow in the footsteps of legends."

On one hand, most of us have done this before. On the other hand, gearing up in state-of-the-badass-art and going on a bug hunt in the sort of thing that never really gets tired. Thus we have Aliens: Colonial Marines, which quite clearly isn't going to forge any new frontiers but will probably be pretty cool anyway.

And if you preorder, as this new video shows, you'll be able to play online as the baddest of the badasses: Hicks, Hudson, Drake and Apone, four of the lean, mean, Colonial Marines who got chewed up and spat out at LV-426. Apone and Drake look a little off, at least in the very brief flash in which they're seen, but Hicks and Hudson are just about dead-on.

The obvious question is, where are the rest of the badasses? Drake was a cool dude, but where's Vasquez? What about Dietrich and Ferro? And if you're offering us "legends," how can you possibly leave out Ripley? The preorder bonus also includes Ripley's flamethrower, but that's Hicks waving it around! Gearbox faced an uproar over the absence of female characters in Colonial Marines, which was particularly odd given the central role women played in Aliens, but Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said earlier this month that female marines will in fact be playable online.

So where's Vasquez, Randy?

Aliens: Colonial Marines comes out on February 12, 2013, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I bet they'll end up being post-release DLC.

Oh Dear... reinforcing failure here i see.

Considering the strength of the female protagonists in the series i'm kinda surprised they've just gone with the male grunts.

Do they not expect women to buy this game at all?

I'm confused.

They said there will be female characters playable in the game. So.... you're complaining because they're not shown in the video?

Are you just fishing for controversy at this point?

Dear god this is really pathetic even for the escapist.

It will probably be DLC.

Everyone knows Ripley would be super OP.
Now the C in DLC will stand for something other that "Content" :P

chiefohara:
Oh Dear... reinforcing failure here i see.

Considering the strength of the female protagonists in the series i'm kinda surprised they've just gone with the male grunts.

Do they not expect women to buy this game at all?

Silly chiefohara, everyone knows girls don't play videogames.

Krantos:
I'm confused.

They said there will be female characters playable in the game. So.... you're complaining because they're not shown in the video?

Well... I mean... two of the most bad ass characters in the series were female... and they weren't featured where as these guys were... I can understand the sentiment.

I mean come on... Ripley's flamethrower but no Ripley? When the game already faced controversy for a lack of female marines? Just seems like an odd bit of logic.

Krantos:
I'm confused.

I think he's just wondering why the bonus doesn't include Ripley and Vasquez as named characters rather than just want - and I'm assuming here - will be a random female grunt. Seems like this whole female character thing really caught them off guard - which is kinda surprising considering the character at the heart of the films is a woman - and they're still playing catch up.

Either that or there's some weird licensing thing going on. Either way, they still have time to get Vasquez and Ripley in there.

I know they are going to have Ripley, and Vasquez be Wii-U exclusives, and boom games sold

There just holding out till later. That's just good business.:/ wait sorry hold on,THE SEXZISM IT MA GURDD! was that the reaction you were lookin for?

Probably because the trailer was made before the "Where are all the female characters" controversy perhaps?

Legion:
Probably because the trailer was made before the "Where are all the female characters" controversy perhaps?

This. Poor attempt at getting everyone to be all OMG, NO GURLZ. Do we really need to be fueling the sexism fire again?

I was originally pretty excited for this game. But from what I've seen it's just a little baffling the direction they took it. It just seems they're trying to shove as many little nods to the movies as they can into this game.

Captcha: "on a boat", aren't we all captcha, aren't we all.

The problem with articles like this is that those wanting to create a spectre of feminist contreversy are not going to be happy with any reasonable answer.

To be honest I'd say that the big reason why Ripley isn't playable is because for one she's NOT a Marine, and on top of that as the series hero she'd probably be overused and wind up having to be unfairly favored.

When it comes to Vasquez the issue might be that her defining trait was that she was a heavy gunner as opposed to carrying the same ordinance as the other marines. Tossing her in without the defining character trait, which could cause some game balance issues, would just be tossing in a token female character for the sake of having one, which is allegedly what those complaining about this stuff are also against.

From the way the statement reads it mentions that players will be able to play female marines in multi-player, but the way it's stated doesn't lead me to believe that means female marines from the movie. If they go in the direction of othr shooters I'm guessing they will have you take a generic avatar and customize them with unlocks and such, and there will be a female model for the ladies out there. Of course that's purely guesswork.

To me this smacks of a witch hunt, in general Borderlands (by Gearbox) has given us at least one female character in each installment, Borderlands 2 is going to have TWO of them (one as later DLC), as well as creating the somewhat iconic "Mad Moxxie" character. Getting on their case for not having Vasquez or other female characters in the game (or potentially not having them) smacks of entitlement at the very best, and honestly in cases like this when the entitled start being catered to it leads to all those token characters that never really fit in, an wind up making the problem allegedly being addressed worse.

Of course none of this might matter, Vasquez might be in the game, but they just didn't squeeze her into the trailer for whatever reason. To be honest I wouldn't get especially concerned unless her trademark heavy gun shows up and isn't overpowering... if it is overpowering, again that sort of explains why you wouldn't want to write in a character who by definition should be starting with one (as opposed to a general rifle) and using it all the bloody time. Vasquez with a normal kit, isn't Vasquez anymore... see what I'm saying?

I demand WIERZBOOOOOOOOOWSKIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Anyway, it's hardly an attempt to stir up trouble, and the whole "made before the controversy" thing doesn't hold water because according to Pitchford - as I said in the post - Gearbox had been planning to include female characters anyway. And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?

It's a simple fact: Drake is cool but Vasquez is far and away the "dominant" gunner in Aliens, and her omission from the "movie character pack" is glaring.

2/10 article. Would not read again.

You need to be more subtle if you wanna start a gender war.

(The game itself looks alright I guess.)

Canadish:
2/10 article. Would not read again.

You need to be more subtle if you wanna start a gender war.

(The game itself looks alright I guess.)

This entire thing has never been simply about the lack of female characters. The series that the game is based off of has been entirely about women. Its main protagonist was a woman. Technically speakin its main antagonist was female. To completely exclude women like they originally had planned to is against the very ideas of the IP the games are based off of.

Andy Chalk:
WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Anyway, it's hardly an attempt to stir up trouble, and the whole "made before the controversy" thing doesn't hold water because according to Pitchford - as I said in the post - Gearbox had been planning to include female characters anyway. And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?

It's a simple fact: Drake is cool but Vasquez is far and away the "dominant" gunner in Aliens, and her omission from the "movie character pack" is glaring.

Remind me again; Who was Werzbowski?

Baddest of the badasses? Hudson was a wuss!

OMG GAME IS SO SEXIST, GOOD WORK AS ALWAYS ANDY.

Capcha: Remain Calm.

I'm sorry, but I still get a good laugh at anyone thinks that this game is every going to be released. Seriously, it has literally almost reached Duke Nukem: Forever levels of being delayed. Think we're up to a full decade on this game now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Aliens universe and I've been looking forward to this game for a very...VERY long time. But when push comes to shove, something ALWAYS happens that pushes it back. Hell, wasn't it supposed to be out twice already this summer? Now it's coming out next year?

Realitycrash:

Andy Chalk:
WHERE'S WIERZBOWSKI?

Remind me again; Who was Werzbowski?

A no dialogue marine who dies off camera.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2008/04/15/ocd-aliens-pvt-wierzbowski

OT: The lack of Vasquez makes me sad, far and away the best character in the movie and it seems odd that she wasn't included in the pack's advertising.

RJ 17:
I'm sorry, but I still get a good laugh at anyone thinks that this game is every going to be released. Seriously, it has literally almost reached Duke Nukem: Forever levels of being delayed. Think we're up to a full decade on this game now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Aliens universe and I've been looking forward to this game for a very...VERY long time. But when push comes to shove, something ALWAYS happens that pushes it back. Hell, wasn't it supposed to be out twice already this summer? Now it's coming out next year?

A game of the same name was being worked on a decade ago and was then cancelled. Sega picked up the rights between then and 2008, and in 2008 Gearbox announced they were developing this. Different game, same name. Sega owned the name at that point, might as well use it.

Woodsey:

RJ 17:

A game of the same name was being worked on a decade ago and was then cancelled. Sega picked up the rights between then and 2008, and in 2008 Gearbox announced they were developing this. Different game, same name. Sega owned the name at that point, might as well use it.

.......yeah, so I've been waiting for this game for over a decade. Thanks for reaffirming that. The fact that it wan't in developement for a portion of that decade doesn't change the fact that I've been waiting for it since it was originally announced. Again, I point to the example set by Duke Nukem: Forever. How many times was DNF dropped and picked up by another company? How many changes did the game go through during that process?

RJ 17:

Woodsey:

RJ 17:

.......yeah, so I've been waiting for this game for over a decade. Thanks for reaffirming that. The fact that it wan't in developement for a portion of that decade doesn't change the fact that I've been waiting for it since it was originally announced. Again, I point to the example set by Duke Nukem: Forever. How many times was DNF dropped and picked up by another company? How many changes did the game go through during that process?

DNF was stitched together from the disparate stages of its development. This just has the same name as a dead project, it seems.

Woodsey:

RJ 17:

Woodsey:

DNF was stitched together from the disparate stages of its development. This just has the same name as a dead project, it seems.

You're failing to see the point. Just as DNF was the next game in it's series, this is "The next Aliens game"...which I've been waiting for since it was first announced a decade ago. If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid this is as far as this conversation will get.

RJ 17:

Woodsey:

RJ 17:

You're failing to see the point. Just as DNF was the next game in it's series, this is "The next Aliens game"...which I've been waiting for since it was first announced a decade ago. If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid this is as far as this conversation will get.

There's a difference between that and acting as if this specific game has been stuck in developmental limbo for a decade, as happened to DNF.

This is very out of character escapist forum and it makes me glad.

the only dlc I buy is TF2 dlc

Not in the trailer DOES NOT MEAN not in the game. Jesus christ, must people stir up shitstorms like this? This article seems hardly professional and utterly sensationalist. For all we know, the female characters may just be standard characters anyone can play from the get-go or DLC as others have said.
When did it reach the point that no boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why is it that boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why don't we all just stop making fucking games then? We clearly all fucking lose either way. It's beyond retarded at this point. Yes, I am pretty mad.

Andy Chalk:
And does it really take that long for a major game studio to whip up a single skin?

Nope, just have to go through a fair few amount of different skin designs.

Of course then model, bring in voice actors, bring in actors for animation, re-code the character, come up with character specific weapons, etc.

rbstewart7263:
There just holding out till later. That's just good business.:/ wait sorry hold on,THE SEXZISM IT MA GURDD! was that the reaction you were lookin for?

Also this.

VanQQisH:
Not in the trailer DOES NOT MEAN not in the game. Jesus christ, must people stir up shitstorms like this? This article seems hardly professional and utterly sensationalist. For all we know, the female characters may just be standard characters anyone can play from the get-go or DLC as others have said.
When did it reach the point that no boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why is it that boobs in a trailer is because of some sexist agenda? Why don't we all just stop making fucking games then? We clearly all fucking lose either way. It's beyond retarded at this point. Yes, I am pretty mad.

The trailer is very clearly is very clearly for a "movie character" pack. Gearbox makes multiplayer skins featuring "legends" from the movie, but they opt for Drake instead of Vasquez and Apone instead of Ripley, and you don't find that at all odd?

Have you ever actually seen Aliens?

Andy Chalk:
The trailer is very clearly is very clearly for a "movie character" pack. Gearbox makes multiplayer skins featuring "legends" from the movie, but they opt for Drake instead of Vasquez and Apone instead of Ripley, and you don't find that at all odd?

Have you ever actually seen Aliens?

Of course I've seen Aliens. In fact, the first time I ever watched it is still one of my most vivid "Oh shit" moments from childhood. But I'll spoiler that below since it's somewhat off topic. I would really love to play Ripley more than anywone, to be honest. Ripley was truly one of my childhood heroes. I still love the final battle between Ripley and the Queen in the mech-suit in Aliens and would love to see that scene played out in a game.
My problem isn't with the game or the pre-order bonus, my issue was how the article was written. Sure it was silly not to include at least one girl in there, what with the current climate that Gearbox is more than well aware of but this article is pretty much prying open the gender wars box.

Does the developer have the rights to Sigourney Weaver's likeness?

The answer to these questions might be totally innocuous.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here