Wii Needed to Transfer Content to Wii U

Wii Needed to Transfer Content to Wii U

Gamers who trade in their Wii consoles before the Wii U's launch will lose their Virtual Console games and Miis.

Wii? What Wii? That's so 2006. With the announcement of the Wii U's release date and price yesterday, some retailers have begun taking pre-orders for Nintendo's next console, with GameStop offering a $50 trade-in for your Wii. And since the Wii U is backwards compatible, who needs a Wii, right? Not so fast: if you want to transfer your Wii content to the Wii U, you'll need to have both systems at the same time.

This isn't exactly shocking news, but it is inconvenient for those hoping to get some trade-in bonuses to help cover the Wii U's price. According to a Nintendo rep, "Wii U owners can wirelessly transfer content such as Miis, and WiiWare and Virtual Console games to their Wii U systems. Both systems will need to be connected to the Internet and the Wii U will need an SD card to facilitate the transfer." The process will be similar to transferring content from a Nintendo DS to 3DS, or 3DS to 3DS XL, which also require both systems to be present.

If you've got an impressive library of Virtual Console and WiiWare games and you're planning to upgrade to the Wii U, here's your warning to hold on to your Wii until launch day. It would be great if Nintendo could offer an alternative to this, like tying your games and Miis to an account or allowing them to be stored externally until the Wii U arrives, but at least the system-to-system transfer will be pretty simple once the new console comes out... assuming you haven't already ditched your Wii.

Source: Gimme Gimme Games via Destructoid

Whoops, that'll tick some folks off.

Well seeing as it was tied to the console this is expected.

Now, I'd like to hear about the 3DS connectivity.

I'm just glad the data can be transferred, nintendo is still doesn't do the whole account thing so I wasn't sure you would be able to take the data with you.

I hate to say it, but this is kind of a big DUH. Anyone who couldn't figure this out pretty much deserves to lose everything. You can't transfer from one thing to another if you don't have the original thing = basic logic.

That said it will be worth it since Nintendo said that after the wiiU comes out they will create a system in which you can connect all your accounts across Nintendo platforms into one, making sure this never happens again. So this could be the last time you need to do this, and anything you save should be yours forever after the fact.

But can I play my Wii games on it, is my question. I don't have wii ware or mii's or whatever installed. Just wanna know if I can play skyward sword on it.

TsunamiWombat:
But can I play my Wii games on it, is my question. I don't have wii ware or mii's or whatever installed. Just wanna know if I can play skyward sword on it.

It's backwards compatible, so yeah you can :)

and the chances of all you xbox live or PSN purchases being transferable and usable on their next gen consoles are ?...

TsunamiWombat:

Nintendo said that almost anything from the Wii will be compatible with the WiiU.
So yeah, Skyward Sword will work fine.

Everybody remember me saying I was beginning to get hopeful when it came to the Wii U?
Statement retracted
(Not that this one is a big deal, just kind of a "screw you" before the console even comes out)

Um... duh? I was gonna hold onto my Wii anyway since my Gamecube is broken. My Wii will become my Gamecube, and my WiiU will be my Wii :D Perfect sense.

Worgen:
I'm just glad the data can be transferred, nintendo is still doesn't do the whole account thing so I wasn't sure you would be able to take the data with you.

Which at this point is simply mind boggling. You'd think they would catch on by now.

Fappy:

Worgen:

Which at this point is simply mind boggling. You'd think they would catch on by now.

Ehh, unlike the other console makers, nintendo only makes videogames. If they could, they would be happy just making newer and better versions of the super nintendo. In other words, you want to play a game? You just put it in and play it.

Worgen:

Fappy:

Worgen:

Ehh, unlike the other console makers, nintendo only makes videogames. If they could, they would be happy just making newer and better versions of the super nintendo. In other words, you want to play a game? You just put it in and play it.

Well, the Super Nintendo was the best console after all... :D

Hopefully Nintendo finds it's way into 2006 here soon and starts binding online purchases to actual accounts rather than pieces of hardware. It's insane that in 2012 their online support is so half assed in regards to the way they handle digital goods that you actually need the physical device to transfer stuff from the Wii to the Wii-U.

If Nintendo wants to start to be taken seriously again by core gamers this is the kind of shit they really need to stop doing.

I'll admit the Wii-U looks interesting to me and there are probably a half dozen or so launch window games I wouldn't mind checking out. However, it's issues like this that make me incredibly hesitant about buying one right away.

Fappy:

Worgen:

it's a paradigm thing. Wii was supposed to be something that everyone in the family uses, and has nothing to do with accounts because it was targeted toward kids, and they didn't want parents having to struggle with figuring out how to turn on, or off parental controls which we have seen as a problem with XBox360 "my child bought stuff on XBLA with my credit card".

then it also avoids compartmentalization of data, and save files. like when you go, and transfer from 360 to 360 only the accounts that are registered with Live (not Gold which I actually find surprising considering Microsoft and all) will be transferred, and only the things that are cloud saved. everything else you need the XBox transfer cable for. same thing, and it took Microsoft how long to figure out to Link all your XBLA titles to a root account so you don't need the cable to transfer the purchased games? but then again they already had the account paradigm system that they took from Windows so it was no big deal for them they just copy/pasted admin privileges to the XBox. this would be the same as if the XBox had downloaded games that you wanted on your 360.

captcha: car trouble
ok now your just reading my mind not cool, or you have gone past sentience, and moved to omniscience.

Meh, that's fine. Once everything is moved over to the WiiU, then I can chuck my Wii into the attic that time forgot. The Wii stinks, but I am mega excited about the WiiU!

That makes sense.

Nintendo sense, I mean. Not real, actual sense. Obviously.

Zombie_Moogle:
Everybody remember me saying I was beginning to get hopeful when it came to the Wii U?
Statement retracted
(Not that this one is a big deal, just kind of a "screw you" before the console even comes out)

Can't you just... like, transfer for your shit and THEN sell your wii?

Well it makes sense, since the Wii didn't have accounts. I doesn't matter if it's 2012 right now, you have to use what the Wii supports, so yeah...

Matthew94:

I'd probably go with something more along the lines of "well seeing as Nintendo's online policy has been moronic since day one this is to be expected."

How else would you be able put your Wiiware games on your WiiU? The Wii never had online accounts, everything was tied to the physical console. That's why you had to pray your Wii never died, or else you'd lose everything. Nice job there Nintendo.
To be fair though this isn't a WiiU problem, it's a Wii problem that the WiiU has no choice but to inherit. The WiiU will have online accounts.

Not a big problem for me though, I have to keep my Wii anyway so that I can play Gamecube games. Rolls eyes. Would 2 generations of backwards compatibility really be that hard Nintendo. I have to keep my DS to play GBA games and my gameboy color to play my gameboy games.

Matthew94:

Now, I'd like to hear about the 3DS connectivity.

Like transferring DS data (even to do so to 3DS to preserve your DS online settings for stuff like Pokemon), 3DS transfer is done wirelessly.

Which makes it somewhat strange that there is an online requirement, since the Wii can transmit Mii data to 3DS wirelessly. Is it a misquote or is that actually true?

This doesn't really impact me. I have to keep the wii because I got rid of my gamecube and still play a lot of gamecube games.

I'm not sure how people think they would be able to do this any other way. The only way they could get around this is by forcing some sort of playstation plus or xbox live type system which would cost them a ton to get setup.

No problem for me either.

My wii will go to my mom so she can play around with Wii Fit.
I always kept my old systems.

wait o.0 i could a transferred my data from my DSXL to my 3DS?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFudge ....

that's like $12 i could a saved :/

Same deal with the 3DS -> XL, all the stores here with part-ex offers let you buy the console full price, transfer then get a rebate as if you'd done it on the day.

Still unlikely to get one though; food and tuition are more pressing concerns right now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here