Psychonauts Dev Would "Love to Revisit the Franchise"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Psychonauts Dev Would "Love to Revisit the Franchise"

A lack of funding is keeping Psychonauts from getting a sequel.

Double Fine's Psychonauts launched to critical acclaim in 2005, but poor sales kept a sequel from ever becoming a reality. The game has gathered a huge fan following since then, and Double Fine's Greg Rice recently stated that a Psychonauts sequel was the developer's most requested game by fans. Calling the requests "flattering," Rice said "it's something that we'd definitely be interested in doing." Due to the expensive nature of making a large retail title like Psychonauts 2, though, Double Fine would need a lot of financial support before it's possible.

"It's not so much that we'd make games to make money, the real issue is having the money to make the game," Rice explained, adding that Double Fine would need "a ton of money" in order to pay its developers to make the game over a period of several years. The developer got around this problem when they launched the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, after which gamers threw money at the game. For Psychonauts 2, however, Double Fine would likely need a whole lot more than their $400,000 DFA Kickstarter goal, or even the $3.3 million they eventually raised.

This isn't the first time a Psychnauts sequel has been addressed; earlier this year Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson reached out to Tim Schafer on Twitter and offered to fund the game, though that appears to have fallen through. Though Psychonauts 2 isn't in development, "there are definitely more Psychonauts stories to be told," according to Rice, and potentially fans could someday get the sequel they've wanted for so long.

Source: VG247

I still need to play the first one. I have access to a copy... I just need to get off my ass >.>

I'd personally throw at least a hundred dollars at such a Kickstarter project. Possibly more.

Broken Blade:
I'd personally throw at least a hundred dollars at such a Kickstarter project. Possibly more.

If I provide a catapult would you mind to join me? Then we can throw the money really, really hard.

OT: Psychonauts is probably the best game I ever played. It worst it is in my top 5. With no particular rank because the top 5 are equally awesome. I'd love to see a sequel in some form or another.

CALLING IT NOW: Psychonauts 2 a WiiU Exclusive!

Calling it, calling it, calling it!

EDIT: I have officially started a campaign called "Psychonauts 2 4 WiiU". Please, if anyone wants to participate, please post this on all Nintendo and Double Fine related Sites and Email Nintendo and Double Fine. Your support for this campaign is greatly appreciated.

Mr.Mattress:

The amount of butthurt would be off the scale...

Mr.Mattress:

Awww, I was gonna make that joke...

In all seriousness: yes. more psyhonauts would be good. not the biggest insight, but it kinda goes without saying.

Mr.Mattress:

If this prophecy comes to pass, I will actually buy a Wii U

If Nintendo were to publish this as an exclusive sequel,
I might just buy the WiiU.

EDIT:

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Mattress:

Are you listening Nintendo?
Make it happen please.
We know you can do it...

Mr.Mattress:

Yes then Nintendo would be an evil bad company for funding all the games people want but making them exclusive, god forbid Nintendo tries to make their consol have amazing exclusives.

coolkirb:

Mr.Mattress:

Yes then Nintendo would be an evil bad company for funding all the games people want but making them exclusive, god forbid Nintendo tries to make their consol have amazing exclusives.

I agree with you dude. I'm actually stoked about the WiiU! I was pretty dissapointed with the Wii, but the WiiU looks awesome to me. I've never played Bayonetta or Psychonauts, the former because Hack/Slashers aren't my thing, and the latter cause I never got around to it. If Psychonauts 2 does come out, regardless of it's Console Info, I would probably buy it at some point.

They could always go the episodic route if they want to release it in a more cost-effective manner.

Kickstart this thing Mothetfucker already and I will actually throw moneyz out of my wallet at the screen and I haven't gotten into the whole kickstarter craze but I will if it's for Psychonauts 2.

SaintlyTurkey:

Mr.Mattress:

The amount of butthurt would be off the scale...

but would it really?

If Nintendo where to step in an get the game actually going, with funding and a platform, I'm not seeing how that'd be a bad thing. i mean i can kinda see why people are pissed about Baynetta 2 being WiiU, but I'm seeing it like this, if Nintendo is the only one who wants to give the fans of a series what they want, then people kinda lose the right to complain, cause the alternative is 'no game at all'

Lunar Templar:

but would it really?

If Nintendo where to step in an get the game actually going, with funding and a platform, I'm not seeing how that'd be a bad thing. i mean i can kinda see why people are pissed about Baynetta 2 being WiiU, but I'm seeing it like this, if Nintendo is the only one who wants to give the fans of a series what they want, then people kinda lose the right to complain, cause the alternative is 'no game at all'

It'd be the same as Bayonetta. Both of the original games were multiplatform, and if Nintendo hadn't stepped in there'd be no Bayonetta 2.

SaintlyTurkey:

Lunar Templar:

but would it really?

It'd be the same as Bayonetta. Both of the original games were multiplatform, and if Nintendo hadn't stepped in there'd be no Bayonetta 2.

like i said, the alternative would be nothing at all, I'll take a sequel as a console exclusive over not having it any-day

Lunar Templar:

SaintlyTurkey:

Lunar Templar:

but would it really?

like i said, the alternative would be nothing at all, I'll take a sequel as a console exclusive over not having it any-day

I believe the point SaintlyTurkey is trying to make is that Bayonetta 2 never would have been made if it wasn't a Nintendo exclusive, so how can you see why people are pissed about it? Because "the alternative is no game at all", so "people kinda lose the right to complain".

Lunar Templar:

Bayonetta 2 is in the same situation and there is still an incredible amount of rage, which can be seen here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.388223-Gamers-Rage-About-Bayonetta-2-on-Wii-U

Hell, if Psychonauts 2 became a Wii U exclusive, I think there'd be even more rage. I think the fanbase is a lot larger, and far more dedicated.

SaintlyTurkey:

Lunar Templar:

Bayonetta 2 is in the same situation and there is still an incredible amount of rage, which can be seen here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.388223-Gamers-Rage-About-Bayonetta-2-on-Wii-U

Hell, if Psychonauts 2 became a Wii U exclusive, I think there'd be even more rage. I think the fanbase is a lot larger, and far more dedicated.

if they're going to rage about a game that would not have been made other wise, they do not deserve to play it. sorry but after the begging and pleading to get Dark Souls to PC (and the whole ME3 thing) and then the 180 that was pulled to call it crap (i mean fair warning was given it wasn't going to be a great port) i, kind don't care any more about 'why' they're whining anymore, as I'm inclined to just write them off as spoiled children crying cause the toy wasn't the right color or something

Dev Would "Love to Revisit the Franchise"

We ALL freaking would... this is a fact.

TheKasp:
Psychonauts is probably the best game I ever played. It worst it is in my top 5. With no particular rank because the top 5 are equally awesome. I'd love to see a sequel in some form or another.

Its in my top 4, the game had some serious style, even if the last level did cause me to bleed from my finger nails in frustration.

I would buy this game. In a heartbeat. For 60$.

The first one is one of my favourite games of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Just shut up and take Notch's money!

Or a kickstarter; I'm pretty sure you could make a fair few millions on a kickstarter...

It seems that I am the only one who doesn't want a Psychonauts sequel.

Look, Psychonauts was fantastic and deserved much better sales on release. I'm glad we can all agree on that. But I just don't think a sequel would do the game any good. I'm tired of the mentality that games are in need of sequels. If it's the first of something, then a sequel is inevitable. All of the charm of something new will be lost. And if one sequel is made, another will come after it. And another. And hell, maybe another. It would get hollow, lose its uniqueness, and everyone will lose interest. Honestly, I see Psychonauts to be a cash cow waiting to be milked. And god knows I don't want that. None of us want that. And that's what I fear if Psychonauts gets a sequel.

I know my fear is extreme, but it's not and impossibility. And I hope you all see my fear too.

It doesn't need to be a direct direct sequel, War Penguin

It could literally be a new hero with RAz as the old wise guy. As long as we still get to jump into the minds of various people suffering from mental illness and explore their messed up psyches, then I'm happy. :)

How is this news? We already knew all of this. The article is literally just restating in the short everything we've been told since 2006.

Lunar Templar:

SaintlyTurkey:

Lunar Templar:

if they're going to rage about a game that would not have been made other wise, they do not deserve to play it. sorry but after the begging and pleading to get Dark Souls to PC (and the whole ME3 thing) and then the 180 that was pulled to call it crap (i mean fair warning was given it wasn't going to be a great port) i, kind don't care any more about 'why' they're whining anymore, as I'm inclined to just write them off as spoiled children crying cause the toy wasn't the right color or something

if anything, the tablet could introduce a whole new level of mindfuck they could play with

just imagine the amount of dizziness you put up with in the milkman area, and go further than that, it would be just magical

but i suppose even that kind of thought is just thrown out of the window due to seven years of blue balls with wii

War Penguin:

Look, Psychonauts was fantastic and deserved much better sales on release. I'm glad we can all agree on that. But I just don't think a sequel would do the game any good. I'm tired of the mentality that games are in need of sequels. If it's the first of something, then a sequel is inevitable. All of the charm of something new will be lost.

I think an aspect that really makes me want to see Psychonauts 2 is the fact that Schafer has said he wrote the original story with a trilogy in mind.

It's narratively set up for a sequel, and the first game managed to make every new place I went to feel unique in some way, so I love the idea of it going further. We'll keep seeing games rehashed repeatedly for the purpose of profit, but it'd be nice to subvert some things and complete a franchise on a basis of it actually deserving it.

Mr.Mattress:

And just like that, I'd buy a Wii U.

Seriously, even the large hadron collider can't throw my money at the project fast enough.

Mikejames:

War Penguin:

Look, Psychonauts was fantastic and deserved much better sales on release. I'm glad we can all agree on that. But I just don't think a sequel would do the game any good. I'm tired of the mentality that games are in need of sequels. If it's the first of something, then a sequel is inevitable. All of the charm of something new will be lost.

I think an aspect that really makes me want to see Psychonauts 2 is the fact that Schafer has said he wrote the original story with a trilogy in mind.

It's narratively set up for a sequel, and the first game managed to make every new place I went to feel unique in some way, so I love the idea of it going further. We'll keep seeing games rehashed repeatedly for the purpose of profit, but it'd be nice to subvert some things and complete a franchise on a basis of it actually deserving it.

Truth be told, if a sequel was in mind, then my opinion has been altered.

Still, I've seen people with the strange and contradictory argument of "Psychonauts was so unique and so groundbreaking that they need to make a sequel!" The problem is, obviously, is that if they do make a sequel, it wouldn't be as groundbreaking or unique as when its predecessor was released. Granted, it's narratively set up for a sequel, but it was also perfect to end right where it was. It was a nice open ending, where all loose ends were tied up, but leaves enough room for the imagination for what happens afterwards. I thought it ended quite nicely, and I was satisfied when it was over.

Plus, what exactly would they do with Psychonauts 2 that will be different than Psychonauts 1? Sure, we could travel to new and hilarious and damaged psyches, but it wouldn't be something that we haven't seen before. Other than for writing and story, there just doesn't seem to be a point to another Psychonauts.

Look, I loved this game too! I hope people will understand this! But I just feel that we should just appreciate what we had and put it away, and look forward to what new good ideas that could be made. Because that's what Psychonauts was: a new good idea. Rather than looking to what was great back then, we should look forward to what will be great soon... which, I'll admit, isn't whole a lot, but you get what I'm saying, right? :P

War Penguin:
Granted, it's narratively set up for a sequel, but it was also perfect to end right where it was. It was a nice open ending, where all loose ends were tied up, but leaves enough room for the imagination for what happens afterwards. I thought it ended quite nicely, and I was satisfied when it was over.

Plus, what exactly would they do with Psychonauts 2 that will be different than Psychonauts 1? Sure, we could travel to new and hilarious and damaged psyches, but it wouldn't be something that we haven't seen before. Other than for writing and story, there just doesn't seem to be a point to another Psychonauts.

Look, I loved this game too! I hope people will understand this! But I just feel that we should just appreciate what we had and put it away, and look forward to what new good ideas that could be made. Because that's what Psychonauts was: a new good idea. Rather than looking to what was great back then, we should look forward to what will be great soon... which, I'll admit, isn't whole a lot, but you get what I'm saying, right? :P

I agree that as far as open endings go it went out on a satisfying note, but it's a shame some alluded plot points never got their due. (would have liked more on Raz's family curse for one)

I don't know what Schafer had planned, but I suppose feeling that every mind felt different in some style, gameplay, or narrative, made me think that the chance for more wouldn't make it stale.
Heh, and if it was just more quality writing and story, I'd say that's an appeal right there.

Honestly it wasn't too long ago when I first beat Psychonauts. Genuinely funny titles are rare enough, but one with unique/dark psychological themes? If you know more creative games like this send em my way mate, but I fear that the bulk of the industry just isn't as ready to take risks anymore. I see where you're coming from saying it works alone, but hearing someone like Schafer want to continue it, and not for the money, but for the sake of continuing a story he cared about?
I don't know, I guess it makes the chance for something worthwhile feel more genuine.

Mikejames:

War Penguin:
Granted, it's narratively set up for a sequel, but it was also perfect to end right where it was. It was a nice open ending, where all loose ends were tied up, but leaves enough room for the imagination for what happens afterwards. I thought it ended quite nicely, and I was satisfied when it was over.

I agree that as far as open endings go it went out on a satisfying note, but it's a shame some alluded plot points never got their due. (would have liked more on Raz's family curse for one)

I don't know what Schafer had planned, but I suppose feeling that every mind felt different in some style, gameplay, or narrative, made me think that the chance for more wouldn't make it stale.
Heh, and if it was just more quality writing and story, I'd say that's an appeal right there.

Honestly it wasn't too long ago when I first beat Psychonauts. Genuinely funny titles are rare enough, but one with unique/dark psychological themes? If you know more creative games like this send em my way mate, but I fear that the bulk of the industry just isn't as ready to take risks anymore. I see where you're coming from saying it works alone, but hearing someone like Schafer want to continue it, and not for the money, but for the sake of continuing a story he cared about?
I don't know, I guess it makes the chance for something worthwhile feel more genuine.

I'll admit again, if Schafer has something planned for the franchise other than for profit gain, then I'd be okay with a sequel. But I fear that if we let this be made, it will be seen as something made for profit, rather than for art, and the industry will be even more inclined to churn out unoriginal sequels. Yeah, the industry is afraid to of taking risks. But you know who wasn't afraid of taking risks? Tim goddamn Schafer, that's who![1] Now, it'd be ridiculous of me to say that if Psychonauts 2 is made, no more Tim Schafers will exists. That'd be goddamn stupid for me to think that. But I feel that if we just put it to rest, we'd encourage more people to take more risks like Schafer did. And if a sequel is made, the negative message will be reenforced.

[1] That line may have been a bit too corny, but really, it felt wrong not to post it. :P

War Penguin:
I'll admit again, if Schafer has something planned for the franchise other than for profit gain, then I'd be okay with a sequel. But I fear that if we let this be made, it will be seen as something made for profit, rather than for art, and the industry will be even more inclined to churn out unoriginal sequels. Yeah, the industry is afraid to of taking risks. But you know who wasn't afraid of taking risks? Tim goddamn Schafer, that's who![1] Now, it'd be ridiculous of me to say that if Psychonauts 2 is made, no more Tim Schafers will exists. That'd be goddamn stupid for me to think that. But I feel that if we just put it to rest, we'd encourage more people to take more risks like Schafer did. And if a sequel is made, the negative message will be reenforced.

I'm not sure how it'd be seen that way. The reason for there not being a sequel isn't because of devs trying to uphold the integrity of the first game, it's simply because the first one didn't initially sell well. Honestly, burying the franchise because of that isn't encouraging more risks, it's just punishing creativity; telling devs they should just stick with ideas that'll be sure to turn a profit.

Wouldn't interest in a sequel, even after all this time, be more likely to show that there are still people who appreciate this type of game and the risks it took? It isn't like comparing it to buying a new CoD every year whether or not they make any noteworthy changes.

[1] That line may have been a bit too corny, but really, it felt wrong not to post it. :P

Mikejames:

War Penguin:

I'm not sure how it'd be seen that way. The reason for there not being a sequel isn't because of devs trying to uphold the integrity of the first game, it's simply because the first one didn't initially sell well. Honestly, burying the franchise because of that isn't encouraging more risks, it's just punishing creativity; telling devs they should just stick with ideas that'll be sure to turn a profit.

Wouldn't interest in a sequel, even after all this time, be more likely to show that there are still people who appreciate this type of game and the risks it took? It isn't like comparing it to buying a new CoD every year whether or not they make any noteworthy changes.

I was actually implying that they stick to new ideas, rather than sticking with old ones. But you have a point. I guess it's clear that Schafer and the team want to continue the franchise. I'm still wary, but I guess a sequel wouldn't be as bad as I'm making it.

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Mattress:

Me too! I really don't see why throwing Twitter tantrums would be the more popular approach.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here