BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

As expected, the Inquisition is coming.

The first purported look at Dragon Age III broke to the surface back in August, when a BioWare Social Network user shone a light on a survey he'd taken which he claimed revealed details about the next chapter in the Dragon Age saga. According to the rumor, Dragon Age III will be subtitled Inquisition and take place in the land of Orlais, where the Templars have turned away from the Chantry, mages are rebelling and the world hovers on the edge of chaos.

Whether or not that background information proves to be accurate, Executive Producer Mark Darrah confirmed today that the new Dragon Age game will in fact be called Inquisition. "Not a big surprise to most of you, I know," he wrote. "We have been working on it in some way for about two years now with the bulk of our efforts ramping up about 18 months ago."

Darrah said that many of the people working on the game have been around since Dragon Age: Origins and that the team is working on a new engine which will offer "a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization." The studio doesn't want to talk too much about the game until it's got something to show, Darrah explained, so everything else is hush-hush right now.

Dragon Age III: Inquisition is currently expected to be out in late 2013.

Source: BioWare Blog

something something EAs gonna ruin this game as well

This is how this goes right?

---

Either way not much interest for this after Biowares last few games. :(

I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

When Dragon Age III comes out we'll find out.

Cautiously interested; DA2 had a few flashes of being an alright game.

The mage situation in the DA universe is somewhat novel, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to be the focus of the 2nd and 3rd games...

Just... make it an RPG this time, okay Bioware?

That's all I'm asking for.

First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:

Well, it has a subtitle, which implies some kind of improvement over DA2 already. Maybe this one will actually have a more focused narrative.

Also on the upside it's coming out 2.5 years after DA2 rather than 1.5. So, again, hopefully have more time to be fleshed out.

Still not anywhere near convinced this will be good, but there is some hope on the horizon.

They're gonna ruin it with some kind of insane DLC model and probably some unnecessary multiplayer mode. Perhaps even both at once.

Hey if the title is anything to go by there's going to be a lot of prejudice and religulous stuff going on that I can fight against.

I will love this as long as I get to overthrow an oppressive dogmatic religious institution.

I'm very wary of this. For one thing, DA2 was a lot worse than DA:O (which I loved) and I didn't enjoy it as much as i'd hoped. Another thing i'm worried about is the fact that this is Bioware and EA so who knows what kind of multiplayer they might latch onto it and what kind of fucked up storyline it might end up having.

I'l keep an eye on this at least.

Really?

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice same on me. You already fooled me for a seconed time. No more.

What first popped into my mind:

And while I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I won't pre-order this one like I did with 2, I'll wait for unbiased reviews.

Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.

Crap* Escapist can we have the option to delete our posts?

I should be saying something about dragon age 2/ mass effect 3.

I've played neither of those games. I've played dragon age origins, enjoyed it but struggled with the hardcore RPG mechanics and it's simply that big that I'll probably never actually finish it, and I've played up to a point in mass effect 2 before hearing about Mass effect 3 having a bad ending and kinda losing motivation.

Instead my first thought is "I smell a lawsuit from the makers of that indie game released on GOG a little while ago simply called 'Inquisition"

Anyway, I'll keep a cautious eye on it.

soren7550:
First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:
*snip*

I prefer this one

No one expects it.

Azaraxzealot:
Hey if the title is anything to go by there's going to be a lot of prejudice and religulous stuff going on that I can fight against.

I will love this as long as I get to overthrow an oppressive dogmatic religious institution.

You know, just for once, I'd like to establish an oppressive dogmatic religious institution and give those bloody mages what's coming to them. The Emperor Protects, Suffer Not the Psyker and all that.

Ahem.

Hopefully, this will include a full suite of social networking functionality, so as I can tweet my choices to my vast horde of followers. 'Cause they'll want to know. Yep.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.

Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.

As long as they make it a lot less repetitive than DA2, it should turn it out okay. I'll be renting it.

I'm expecting to require origin so I'm gonna probably ignore it.

so we're going to be playing as a Templar? Or a rouge blood mage?

I'm guessing this game takes place after DAII and seeker is still looking for the Champion of Kirkwall.

Dear bioware if you do not at least once in the game allow you to say nobody expects the chantry inquisition the game is ruined.
All joking aside I'm cautiously optimistic I haven't played mass effect 3 yet but the general opinion seems to be awesome beside the ending which got fixed so I like to think they learned from the mistakes in dragon age 2(also havent played) and as long as they don't rush the game(im looking at you ea) it might be good.

I almost posted some lengthy rant but...I hope it works out for em.

Will Jim Sterling make a cameo?

Nobody expects the Orlesian Inquisition!

-ahem-

I really hope this turns out to be great. I did like Dragon Age 2 despite the many flaws it did have(why is every freaking mage in Kirkwall a Blood Mage!?). And I got over the Mass Effect 3 ending thing. Well I don't hold the whole of BioWare responsible for it at least... just Casey Hudson.

After that little announcement from EA about how they're only doing multiplayer now makes me very concerned for how this is going to turn out(as long as it doesn't affect the single player campaign like in Mass Effect 3, I'll be happy). I'm sure everyone in the Dragon Age team is probably sweating bullets on this project though.

EDIT

It'll be nice to see Orlais finally. It should also be fun to be an inquisitor... I see potential for some really good morally grey decision making. I would like a Qunari party member again too, Preferably Sten himself.

El Danny:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Bioware is dead.

Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.

I completely agree. Also isn't it funny people complain about multiplayer in Bioware games, even though it was in Neverwinter, and Baldurs gate.

okay, now just to wait for the mean-spirited, juvenile comments that pop up every time Bioware is mentioned -sets up lawn chair-

Anyway, kinda wish they held off on announcing this until they actually had something to show. Hearing about a game and then waiting MONTHS to see anything about it really sucks

Neat. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Age 2 - better than Origins, in fact - so I'm looking forward to this.

i liked DAII and i loved ME3(besides the last 10 minutes) so i'm still looking forward to this, but i hope they learned from the silly mistakes they made in DAII.

I'm still kind of worried about that requirement that EA has for its published titles that it must have a multiplayer mode. Not like DA 2's dumbass combat and weak characters didn't mutilate my immersion as is, but being in battle with my ally Generalbuuface2016 isn't going to help.

They seem to be less concerned with making Dragon Age an RPG, and more concerned with making Dragon Age an allegory to politics and religion. Dragon Age 2 had a juvenile story, it was forced and had too much "opinions" from the real world injected into it. Most of the characters made no sense, nothing they did was believable.. they only served as vehicles to force the allegory.

I used to love Bioware games because of the very strong characters.. perhaps I'm just wearing rose-tinted goggles and I'm just seeing the games for what they really are.

Anyway... with DA3 "Inquisition", it seems they're kicking out the stops and going full-speed with everything I disliked with DA2. Oh well... I'll withhold my judgment but I'm not raising my expectations either.

Well, let me just say this: for the combat on the PC version, please give us either the same button mashing that will undoubtedly be present on the console versions of the game, or make the tactical combat fleshed out. None of this somewhere in between nonsense DA2 brought us.

Anyway, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt, which means I won't be buying it, but we'll see. The game will probably have the typical flaws we have come to expect from Bioware games (black and white morality, terrible and awkward romance plots, one dimensional characters, a dull and generic storyline when you look at the big picture) but it might manage to be a decent game despite that.

Will it be a sequel to a good game, or will it be a sequel to Dragon Age 2? I fear the series is already too tainted to be saved. They should've just pulled a Highlander and forgot 2 ever happened.

And when Dragon Age 4 is a watered down skyrim clone, will Mike Laidlaw say the fans are just bitching because "Fans Wanted Inquisition 2, not Dragon Age 4!" (Seriously, fuck that guy).

Now goddamnit, Bioware better have at least one line in the game along the lines of: "No one expects the ____ Inquisition!"

OT: I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Funnily enough, I just today started a new playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins.

Cautious optimism.

Here's hoping there's an actual top-down camera in the PC version this time around, instead of some assclown port.

They can keep their flashy, AZN combat. Just give me waveless combat, where positioning and tactics actually matter (or have the blood mage be invincible again)and you can throw in all the particle effects and anime style fighting you want.

I do sincerely hope this is more Origins than Dragon Age II though. I absolutely love the original. But only time will tell.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here