BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I tell you this, I'm certainly not gonna pre-order this one. I lost my faith in Bioware, so I'll just wait and see for myself.

Mcoffey:
Will it be a sequel to a good game, or will it be a sequel to Dragon Age 2? I fear the series is already too tainted to be saved. They should've just pulled a Highlander and forgot 2 ever happened.

Yargh...You just had to mention that awful, awful sequel that I had successfully repressed though the 4th one was bad when they reduced the skills of sword fighting to pretty much power levels of he's taken 10 heads the other guy has taken 2 so 10 heads wins and also conner and duncan combining their head count to win...

OT: I don't even have the energy to be cautiously optimistic with this. I didn't like DA2 anywhere near as much as origins, I never bothered with ME3 because of reading how the ending destroyed any choice I may have made, and now EA are trying to tack multiplayer into everything whether it's required or not. So yeah the only way I'd be interested in this is if bioware free themselves from EA or there are a number of outstanding unbiased reviews a couple of weeks after launch, not a chance in hell that I'd risk a preorder on them anymore.
Finaly there is the sheer contempt the higher ups showed to their fans with their its art don't criticise b******t, erm, art is criticised all the time we even have a job for it, they're called art critics. Though I agree that after the art is released you do not change it, so that people can view its merits and its flaws without a guy coming in and tacking on bits after the release saying sorry this should be like that etc.
Ok rant over.
(Decides to fund Project Eternity instead)

As many others pointed out, cautiously optimistic.

I'm going to wait for the release and see if they have more than 3 different environments this time around.

El Danny:

rembrandtqeinstein:
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.

Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.

While I won't say Dragon Age 2 was one of my favorite RPGs of all time, I will agree that despite the obvious flaws, it was still a damn good game. I'm in agreement that fans of Bioware seem to have two modes when regarding their games--"shining glory of success" and "complete failure worth none of our time". There's no middle ground. Dragon Age 2 wasn't what people were expecting or even wanted from a Dragon Age game, therefore it's shit to them. I know. I was one of them. Was it still a good game worth a $60 price? Hell yes, but they won't recognize that.

Dragon Age 2 is a good game. Mass Effect 3 is a good game. They have flaws the previous entries didn't. It's whether you allow those flaws ruin your experience because you want it to be something its not.

But let's be honest, most of the people "boycotting" Bioware games will still purchase this at some point (or pirate if they're that stubborn not to pay the studio for their hard work). Oh, I'm sure there will be the determined few, but they'll be in the minority.

Copper Zen:
I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

When Dragon Age III comes out we'll find out.

Agreed somewhat. They've been working on it for 2 years already, which means the time put into Dragon Age 3 is already 1.5x that of what was invested in DA 2! Though I could still give a rats ass about the game though until we get some real information.

Honestly, I'm hoping they drop the god awful flippy-sliddy always-explosions combat that 2 had. Yes yes, the bandit that popped out of thin air for the 100th time just blew up into blood for the 100th time in a row, now can I just please slice his legs then go for the decapitation? I really enjoyed that kind of thing in the first game.

Oh, and for gods sakes make sure the dev team actually fixes the bugs the testers find. Being able to equip and unequip a shield to gain an infinite amount of armor, or casually tapping the "a" button and getting hundreds of thousands of gold and xp are both glitches that shouldn't of existed.
Also, the item dupes and everything from the first game that still worked exactly the same.

Copper Zen:
I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

Well, if DA3 is anything like ME3, than they should do okay... though hopefully they will have learned not to get lazy when it comes to the ending.

templar1138a:
Neat. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Age 2 - better than Origins, in fact - so I'm looking forward to this.

There aren't that few of us. ;-)

4173:
Cautiously interested; DA2 had a few flashes of being an alright game.

The mage situation in the DA universe is somewhat novel, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to be the focus of the 2nd and 3rd games...

There's still Flemith who, hang on SPOILER

At least I hope they don't fix everything up in a cliche package like... y'know that other game. But I think this is a different team and different writers so here's hoping. Dragon age is like my Mass effect.

Oh boy I disliked the focus in the Chantry/Mages in II, wasn't really interested in having this be DA III's main focus again.

Mike Kayatta:

templar1138a:
Neat. I'm one of the few people who actually liked Dragon Age 2 - better than Origins, in fact - so I'm looking forward to this.

There aren't that few of us. ;-)

Perhaps not, but it's always a bit depressing when I see people rant against it, from the difference in control mechanics to the recycled locations (a decision I favored as it built sentiment). It feels like they missed the point.

El Danny:

Disagree.....

You can disagree all you want, but that doesnt change the fact DA2 was a steaming pile of horse manure, and ME3 finally made me appreciate The End of Evangelion.

Also fool me once shame on you Bioware,fool me twice.....Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooouuuuu.

Oh fuuuuuuuuuck. Not this again. These forums dawg, they react rather explosively and irrationally to the Bioware juices...

OT: Seeing as i'm one of the rare people who actually didn't let the admittedly shit ME3 ending sour the entire rest of the game and liked the ending to DA2 a whole bunch, so as long as they at least somewhat take their time over it i'm set to throw money at a new DA game.

Hopefully it won't get rushed the fuck out of like 2 and be the new most barebones AAA release I have ever seen.

EDIT: Perfect post timing me! the above post couldn't be more fitting XD

Krantos:

soren7550:
First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:
*snip*

I prefer this one

No one expects it.

Damn ninjas with your post-stealing ninjitsu! :P

Yeah, right when I read topic title of "Bioware Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition" I immediately thought "NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!"

Well BioWare so far did not disappoint me to the point where I would avoid their products like the plague.
DA2 while being a disappointment considering the predecessor was still a decent game.
ME3 was IMO a major improvement in every aspect over its predecessors. The only let down was the ending which got fixed from bullshit to somewhat acceptable.
SWTOR while not necessarily being a good MMO was IMO damn good single player RPG. I enjoyed the hell out of the story of the Sith Inquistor, Jedi Knight, Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior.
However the bloopers in the recent game certainly made me cautious.
I hope they learned their lesson from DA2 and ME3 and that DA3 will be a worthy successor of DA1.

well, they did master the mass effect formula at the third installment too.
(save for the ending yes we know)

here's for cautious optimism, I'll play it at a friend's house who IS foolish enough to install Origin.

Krantos:

soren7550:
First thing that came to mind when I saw what the game was called:
*snip*

I prefer this one

No one expects it.

"Our chief weapon is suprise, suprise and fear"

ProtoChimp:
There's still Flemith who, hang on SPOILER

At least I hope they don't fix everything up in a cliche package like... y'know that other game. But I think this is a different team and different writers so here's hoping. Dragon age is like my Mass effect.

My thought was:

OT: finger's crossed, fingers crossed for a return to form

Here's my stance on Bioware, EA's involvement with them, and any future games they might make:

Bioware has no one to blame for their stale output but Bioware. Other than the more personal games of Baldur's Gate and - more recently - Dragon Age 2, every single player game they've made has followed the exact same formula of "You are the [Jedi/Spirit Monk/SPECTRE/Grey Warden], and only YOU can save the [galaxy/empire/galaxy/world] from the [Sith/death of the world/Reapers/Blight]! But first you must find [the Star Forge/the Spirit Amulet/{the Conduit/a strike team/allies}/allies] by visiting these three or four locations and doing a bunch of side quests!"

I used to love them, but as each successive game comes out, it's clear to me that the developer has been in a creative rut for nearly a decade. Dragon Age 2 is the closest they've come to breaking out and writing something new, but they rushed that one out the door, so it didn't live up to its potential and ended up a a copypasta mess(that I still enjoyed nonetheless). But hey, at least they tried...

Now don't get me wrong; I'm probably going to buy DA3. But Bioware is no longer on my A-list. They're popcorn fodder. Sunday Matinee material. The shadow of a giant that once built a palace in the sky, but is now content to continually craft successive sand castles with the same worn-out mold.

What a waste.

I want to believe, I want to believe they learn from their mistakes. The thing I hate the most is that there's the potential for a truly magnificent game in every Bioware game, but they keep ruining it thanks to decisions that are mostly commercial.

At least they seem to listen to gamers. Mass Effect 3 DLC shows that. But it's still a flawed game. Just give us the masterpiece that I know you can make, Bioware!

Copper Zen:

I'm with you. I think the fury over bone headed storytelling and genre bending in Mass Effect 3 coupled with the atrocity that was Dragon Age II will allow Bioware to go back to their RPG roots. I too am excited. Dragon Age Origins was an AMAZING game that I truly loved. Hopefullly DAIII is the same.

Now the next question is: Do I brave through the atrocity that is Dragon Age II on an easy difficulty just to get through the story? (I have it but I've never beaten it) We'll see. I have a year or so it sounds like to decide.

fi6eka:

El Danny:

Disagree.....

You can disagree all you want, but that doesnt change the fact DA2 was a steaming pile of horse manure, and ME3 finally made me appreciate The End of Evangelion.

Also fool me once shame on you Bioware,fool me twice.....Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooouuuuu.

This is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post... *sigh*

El Danny:

rembrandtqeinstein:
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.

Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.

I think you've hit the nail on the head... It's Bioware, it's going to be a great game. Maybe not as great as Origins, but probably better than DA2 because of the extended dev cycle. But, since Bioware fans have been stirred into a permanent rage because of DA2 and the ME3 ending, any praise will be drowned out by the fans' bitching. Oh well, I'm excited for more Dragon Age.

Scars Unseen:

Bioware has no one to blame for their stale output but Bioware. Other than the more personal games of Baldur's Gate and - more recently - Dragon Age 2, every single player game they've made has followed the exact same formula of "You are the [Jedi/Spirit Monk/SPECTRE/Grey Warden], and only YOU can save the [galaxy/empire/galaxy/world] from the [Sith/death of the world/Reapers/Blight]! But first you must find [the Star Forge/the Spirit Amulet/{the Conduit/a strike team/allies}/allies] by visiting these three or four locations and doing a bunch of side quests!"

You make a valid point, because that's pretty much the formula that Bioware games follow... But that's also part of why people like Bioware so much. The overarching goal/story is usually simple and doesn't really differentiate, which allows the characters and the universe to be explored more.

Copper Zen:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware has learned from their past mistakes. I would, however be flabbergasted if EA learned anything from past mistakes.

I would give the tiniest amount of a crap about this if DA2 hadn't been trash. Seriously, Bioware, we liked DA:O for a reason, and that reason was because it was a Bioware RPG instead of a Bioware braindead button-mashy action game. It's like you thought "Gee, people loved that we made a true Bioware RPG in an original fantasy universe, maybe we should take out everything that made it good and replace it with garbage in the vein of that Mass Effect game that makes us so much money." And I KNOW you can do better with your writing than DA2, because the writing and world building you did is the Mass Effect trilogy was SO worth the boring gameplay and shitty companion AI.

Let me love you again, Bioware. Please T_T

No way Bioware. Not this time. I loved Origins, everything about it (save for the slight delay in giving orders in combat), so when Dragon Age 2 was announced I was all giddy and excited. I preordered it and was pumped as all hell on release day. But you broke my heart.

I tried to deny it. I tried to tell myself the game was fun. I pretended that the characters were interesting (only Varric was). I tried to believe the game wasn't dumbed down and lazily rushed out. But eventually I had to face the truth. DA2 sucked. It sucked so hard.

The repetitive environments, the messy combat, the waves after waves of enemies in a single fight, the poorly balanced skill system, the simplified dialogue trees, the lack of any coherent plot, the ugly new art design whan Origins looked gorgeous. Just, what the hell? How could you screw up so badly after such an excellent game?

Cool beans.
Probably won't get it on release, Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that good and I haven't really played Mass Effect 3 since I finished it, but I'm guessing it'll at least be decent.

It's going to suck donkey-dicks. Its going to get above 9/10 from every major publication. 5 Stars for Dragon Age 2 is still a fucking joke Escapist.

Andy Chalk:
Dragon Age III: Inquisition is currently expected to be out in late 2013.

Alright, 2014. Gotcha. See you then. Insert standard about me liking ME3 except for last 10 minutes and that DA2 would have been fine if it had picked one of the 3 stories it tried to tell and stuck with it rather than giving the audience 3 half-assed stories to plod through, etc. Rally though, a longer dev time will probably help a lot here and until I see something truly unnecessary and tacked on (see also: ME3 multiplayer) I am going to assume that EA isn't dead set on ruining this franchise.

Loved DA:O, didn't fin DA2 *that* bad, though it got old really quick and the story and most characters were disappointing. I'm iffy, though hopeful Bioware has learned from the experience.
Multiplayer won't work at all UNLESS its along the lines of a Baldur's Gate style co-op, in which case that might actually work out great.

Overall, it will either be utter crap, or absolutely fantastic. There is no in-between here.

TheDrunkNinja:
-snip-

Firstly:stupid memes are stupid
Secondly:Well yeah,as a member of the narcississt wanker's club it's all about MY opinion.
And thirdly:

which ofcourse leads us to...Fourthly:

DA2 was as average and lazy a sequel as you can get. So I will approach DA3 with much caution.

Maybe they will lock Casey Hudson in a supply cupboard when it comes to finalising the ending. I think it would probably be for the best.

Andy Chalk:
"Not a big surprise to most of you, I know,"

Really? Inquisition seems like a weird name to put with it. I would have expected revelation, or resurrection, or some cliche name as that, but never have I heard Inquisition used as the second name of something like a game or movie. I certainly was not expecting some sort of Inquisition.

PS I know I was ninja'd, I still had to get it out of my system.

You need three things to make a pattern.

This will either repair or damn Bioware.
Should be fun to watch.

WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE JADE EMPIRE!!!!!

El Danny:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Bioware is dead.

Fanboyism in its purest form:the games have widespread loathing and negative criticism, but they're really super special awesome and people are just knit-picking so they're opinions are wrong. No blind-faith praising of SWTOR while you're at it?

I just wonder what color explosions we'll get as endings this time.

fi6eka:

TheDrunkNinja:
-snip-

Firstly:stupid memes are stupid
Secondly:Well yeah,as a member of the narcississt wanker's club it's all about MY opinion.
And thirdly:

which ofcourse leads us to...Fourthly:

Ah, you're one of those. I see what your going for now.

Not my cup of tea for forum discussions personally. I'll leave you to it then.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here