Studio Liverpool: "WE.ARE.ALIVE."

Studio Liverpool: "WE.ARE.ALIVE."

A cryptic Facebook message suggests that something is going on at shuttered Wipeout developer Studio Liverpool.

Nearly 30 years after it first began operations, and 19 years after being acquired by Sony, Studio Liverpool - better known to some of us as Psygnosis - was closed down in August. I'd lost track of Psygnosis years ago, so it was a bit of a shock to learn that it had survived this long, albeit under a different name, but fans of the Wipeout franchise had far more relevant reasons to be unhappy with Sony's decision.

But is it really gone? It seemed gone, and Sony sounded pretty unequivocal about the whole thing, stating bluntly, "It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed." Yet earlier today, a rather odd message appeared on the studio's Facebook page and Twitter feed: "WE.ARE.ALIVE," accompanied by what I'm assuming is WipeOut 2048 concept art.

There was much excitement, as many fans took it to mean that Studio Liverpool was somehow being reformed, perhaps as an indie or possibly elsewhere within Sony's organizational structure. The message wasn't terribly informative, but it was exciting, in the way that vague teases often are. But in a follow-up message posted a few hours later, the studio seemed to step back from that promise.

"While we wait for news on the future of Wipeout, online play will continue to be supported and there will be plenty of Wipeout community events, giveaways and goodies to look forward to!" it wrote. "Wipeout's passion will live on - Together we are stronger and together we will keep Wipeout alive."

That's not exactly iron-clad either, is it? The obvious implication is that Studio Liverpool remains cold and stiff, and that whoever posted today's message simply wanted the fan base to know that Wipeout, at least for now, isn't going anywhere. But you'd have to be pretty thick to put up a message like that without realizing that fans would take it as a sign that a studio resurrection is coming, and you'd have to be even thicker not to realize that teasing them like that, and then letting them down, would lead to disappointment and anger. Because of that (and my naturally conspiracy-minded nature), I'm inclined to think that maybe - just maybe - Sony's scousers have got something cooking.

Sources: Facebook, Twitter

I'm very hopeful. I've been a big Wipeout fan since the beginning (my internet name, Terramax, derives from one of the courses from the first game).

Studio Liverpool are very talented and it would be a great shame to see them disappear completely. I do think, however, that they should be making other games other than the Wipeout series also.

Now, I'm off to play 2048 on my Vita.

... Nintendo bought Studio Liverpool? I've got Nintendo on the Brain right now, but since Sony shut them down, and Nintendo recently acquired the Bayonetta Franchise, who's to say that they didn't buy Studio Liverpool for some Decent racing games on the WiiU?

Andy Chalk:
Studio Liverpool - better known to some of us as Psygnosis

I just now, all these years later, realized that the company that makes the Wipeout games is the same one that put out Lemmings. The one and only thing I will always think of when I see or hear Psygnosis is Lemmings, and I don't think that is ever going to change.

Whether or not wipeout remains sony-exclusive, I hope these guys keep going. Wipeout is amazing. It's gameplay has always shone, and it's games are always things to look forward to in sony consoles. The style is fantastic too, making what is essentially a sci-fi mario kart feel realistic and intense, the gran-turismo of a dystopian future.

Mr.Mattress:
... Nintendo bought Studio Liverpool? I've got Nintendo on the Brain right now, but since Sony shut them down, and Nintendo recently acquired the Bayonetta Franchise, who's to say that they didn't buy Studio Liverpool for some Decent racing games on the WiiU?

Oh, god, that's a frightening thought. I need to change underwear now.

Anyway, that wouldn't happen as Sony would still hold the rights to the Wipeout license.

Idea: What if Nintendo uses the studio to make the next F-Zero?

what they really need to do is make a VR version of Wipeout akin to the scenes in Hackers.

racing games are perfect candidates for simplistic VR...because you sit in a seat...

VR is gonna be a thing soon...you wait...

saintdane05:
Idea: What if Nintendo uses the studio to make the next F-Zero?

Answer: Considering Nintendo seem to feel that the best use for F-Zero is in a slow, boring, toy racer in NintendoLand, probably severe disappointment.

Mr.Mattress:

Considering the full name is Sony Computer Entertainment Studio Liverpool, that would be awkward.

Love reading the tin foil hat conspiracy "OHMAHGAWD NINTENDO BAWT DEM" theories xD

Man I loved Wipeout, and Lemmings. I hope these guys are going to stay afloat.

I only wish they could return to their DOS glory days.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Andy Chalk:

I just now, all these years later, realized that the company that makes the Wipeout games is the same one that put out Lemmings. The one and only thing I will always think of when I see or hear Psygnosis is Lemmings, and I don't think that is ever going to change.

Psygnosis actually just PUBLISHED Lemmings. The original Lemmings was made by DMA Design, whom you may now know as Rockstar North.

Here's hoping for Crazy Ivan II.

AC10:
I only wish they could return to their DOS glory days.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Andy Chalk:

Psygnosis actually just PUBLISHED Lemmings. The original Lemmings was made by DMA Design, whom you may now know as Rockstar North.

Yeah, I know, but after playing it so much and seeing their logo come up every single time I started up the game, it's kind of ingrained in my brain that they are associated with each other. I was about to say it was the last game by either of them I really liked, but DMA also made Uniracers/Unirally, which was pretty good. Heh.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here