BioWare Co-Founders Retire

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Eh, I felt they "left" a long time ago. They had become nothing more than EA shills and that was hard to watch, so I am glad they have decided to move on.

Best of luck in their future endeavors.

So one of them is going to be brewing beer? Who else really wants a few bottles of that?

You guys will be missed. You gave me many happy memories with Shattered Steel and Mass Effect and I will not forget it. Wish you all the best.

P.S. I wonder if any time down the road one of them will find themselves in an interview and the reasoning for their departure turns out to be a lil bit more nefarious.

okay, I Won't ask why people hate EA, because I don't like them either. What I will ask is why you think you know why the co founders of Bioware are/were thinking. For all we know they might have thought that EA was a decent enough place to work. I am sure many people think that. However, I will join you guys at the pub. I love a good beer.

Maybe they got tired of all the hate they got for just making games.

LiquidGrape:

Your very own posts implied their leaving would have the immediate effect of BioWare not being the same company anymore.

There, fixed that for you.

When they were bought by EA, reassurances that nothing would change came aplenty. While that could've been true while the original founders were there to drive their ship, them leaving unavoidably changes the structure of the company. Whoever replaces them, whether it's a current BioWare employee stepping up or a suit from EA, they can't say "no, this is my company" when Zeschuk and Muzyka could. Their replacement also just doesn't have the same stake in keeping the company its own thing.

EA has a terrible track record for keeping companies alive, but I hadn't mentioned that yet and who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be another DICE...

Azuaron:
So, who wants to go to a bar and cry into our beers with me?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23680176.jpg

its quite sad to see such great minds go off into the world, i wish those two the best of luck :D

I expected this a month ago when I heard the news that Zeschuk was switching divisions (and EA emphatically stated he wasn't retiring), but still, it's sad to hear all the same.

Most of the creative team behind the older games are now gone - Karpyshyn, Knowles, and now Muzyka and Zeschuk. I only hope Gaider gets out of there while he still has a chance. He's far too good for the corporate garbage EA's been putting out recently.

I hope M/Z can pull a West/Zampella and open another game studio to continue what they started. Just replaying the ending of Baldur's Gate II a couple weeks back, I remember seeing the credit roll and thinking how many of the older staff members were no longer with the company.

What a shame.

Thanks for the memories Dr's, I don't think I'll be looking at Bioware as a go to company from now on. Lets hope Obsidian's Project Eternity Kickstarter goes well!.

Good on them.

Maybe they'll start off some awesome kick-starter project 5 years from now.

This makes me legitimately, close to tears sad. It's a dark day and I wish them all the best in their futures. *Salutes*

Enjoy your hundreds of millions of dollars!

Who's the guy on the right? Because I've bagged groceries for him a few times. o_O

Told me I had an attitude that would get me far, too. O_o

OT: Farewell, you two. I'll miss you guys.

Maybe not you, guy-on-the-right. I'll probably see you again.

(o_O)

Very sad news indeed.

I'm really worried about Dragon Age 3 right about now.

Ah, but Minsc and Boo will always stand ready, now and forever.
And I thank the two of you for your part in giving us that.

*pours a forty*

Thread title says they are retiring. But: "After nearly twenty years working at BioWare I've decided it's time to move on and pursue something new." says, 'I'm quitting to continue working but on something else that isn't Bioware/EA related.' Sounds like someone is trying hard to spin the news to me.

Good luck with your new endevours, Ray and Greg. Bioware is a sinking ship in the sea of EA sludge, and you are right to abandon it.

Yeah I'd bail after EA forced me to make ME3 too.

Casual Shinji:
I can't feel Bioware's pulse anymore! Is there a doctor in the house?!

Oh wait...

This made me laugh, in what is otherwise a pretty depressing thread.

Best of luck in your future endeavours Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka.

xedobubble:
Vaya con Dios, gentlemen. You brought us some amazing work.

We shall watch your careers with great interest.

what does Vaya Con dios mean?

The number of people showing glee at this is disturbing.

Anyway, I hope they have luck wherever they go.

Look, you can fling names at those who think this ties into some kind of EA-related degeneration and pretend that your attitude puts you above it all if that makes you happy. But having both the founders of a company announce their retirement at the same time, both still in their forties, after two of that company's most recent games had turbulent receptions- does anyone really want to suggest that bodes well for the future of the company?

I do wish them well, for what the company they created meant to the industry and for the unique flavor Bioware games brought to the medium. But I'm not going to pretend this event is likely to have happened in a vacuum. Those with the highest vantage point decided it would be advantageous to depart ship, and quickly. That probably means something.

Eveonline100:

xedobubble:

"Go with God."

I blame the people that demanded for their heads all this year more than I blame EA.

Since there's really nothing new I can say...

I really hope they don't start making mobile games.

Eveonline100:

xedobubble:

the best translation would be "Godspeed " or "best of lucks "

I wonder why.

Also, while I deeply enjoyed dragon age origins, KOTOR, baldur's gate, even mass effect 1 and 2, they pretty much destroyed their entire legacy with the last 2 or so years. On-disk DLC, horrible customer support, terrible PR, things like the reused caves on DA2, etc.

But farewell, and best of luck. Where bioware crashed and burned, may you two keep going strong.

crazyrabbits:
I expected this a month ago when I heard the news that Zeschuk was switching divisions (and EA emphatically stated he wasn't retiring), but still, it's sad to hear all the same.

Most of the creative team behind the older games are now gone - Karpyshyn, Knowles, and now Muzyka and Zeschuk. I only hope Gaider gets out of there while he still has a chance. He's far too good for the corporate garbage EA's been putting out recently.

I hope M/Z can pull a West/Zampella and open another game studio to continue what they started. Just replaying the ending of Baldur's Gate II a couple weeks back, I remember seeing the credit roll and thinking how many of the older staff members were no longer with the company.

What a shame.

The old Bioware died along time ago. They tranfered to a policy of just using contractors for most of development rather than keeping the same staff and I would say it has started to show in their work.

I think captcha has summed it up perfectly: good night and good luck

Mr.Mattress:
Calling it now: Bioware shall be sucked into the void known as EA. Just as so many have before them. Good Night, decent Western RPG makers. May heavenly angels sing thee to they rest.

While it is not exactly a replacement throw some money at this if you have some to spare:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

I did and it made me feel better about this news.

Good on them for departing, rather than continuing on with the farce.

They're following in the steps of great men--Richard Garriott, Peter Molyneux, Mark Jacobs, Will Wright--all shook hands with EA and then had to leave their companies and franchises behind, to ruin, obscurity and infamy.

I really fucking hope the next time EA acquire something, gaming journalists won't be drinking the "this time it will be different" Kool-Aid.

daibakuha:

Mr.Tea:

What conspiracy theories? No post has yet said "only crap is coming now" at the time of your post.

The company's co-founders are leaving and another company owns what is left. i.e: BioWare is now just a name, regardless of what games come next.

Have you read the responses? "RIP Bioware" "Only a shell of what you once were" "Now only a matter of time before it dies a slow and painful death"

Knock it off.

I agree, all this hipster stuff about Bioware RIP / selling out / being a shell of itself is enough to make a veteran gamer like me reach for the sick bucket. The ire that Bioware has attracted on these forums is disproportionate especially considering that there are far more people deserving it. (Like publishers who bleed everything dry and destroy all they touch only to move onto another company.)

I better cut this one short before my inner Communist really starts to rant about the publishers.

I wonder if EA forced them into this at all. "Hey guys, you have 6 months to get your affairs in order then get out!"

To be fair, they were likely nothing more than figureheads anyway by this point anyway. Another sign Bioware is speeding to it's demise.

Gunner 51:
All this hipster stuff about Bioware RIP / selling out / being a shell of itself is enough to make a veteran gamer like me reach for the sick bucket. The ire that Bioware has attracted on these forums is disproportionate especially considering that there are far more people deserving it. (Like publishers who bleed everything dry and destroy all they touch only to move onto another company.)

I remember back in those "halcyon days" of 2009 when Bioware was first reported as being acquired (by proxy) by EA. Everyone was predicting exactly the course of events that occurred - games having less effort being put into them, corporate oversight diluting creativity, games and staff members being marginalized for profit...

If you really think this is disproportionate, then you fail to understand EA's history of gutting well-known (and, in many cases, very profitable) developers. The cases of Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin and (to an extent) Maxis are still remembered.

You reference "publishers who bleed everything dry" and fail to mention what happened to the Ultima series? Or C&C? Or The Sims? As a veteran gamer, you should be at the very latest aware of what EA has done to its divisions over the last two decades.

Well, it looks like dEAth

*puts on sunglases*

comes for all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook