Valve Gets a Real-Life Portal Turret

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Gets a Real-Life Portal Turret

The Weta Workshop has created a very special addition to Valve's internal security system.

When you or I get the itch for some game-related swag to spiff up our living rooms, we hit Amazon. When the urge strikes the guys at Valve, they go to Weta. The Weta Workshop, in case you're not familiar, is a New Zealand-based effects company that's done work on things like Xena and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Braindead (that's Dead-Alive if you're American and fat) and, oh yes, Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. Yeah, those guys.

Anyway, Valve was after a full-scale, working model of a Portal turret (minus the live ammunition, we're assuming) and Weta delivered in spades. The gleaming little monster has a built-in motion detector, moves and speaks like the real thing and apparently can even be controlled via a PC interface.

Even the shipping crate got it right, with a big Aperture Laboratories logo and a warning that failure to read the instructions before activation "may lead to multiple loss of life." Valve said Weta went "far, far beyond our expectations to deliver something truly amazing." And yes, I want one. So do you. Alas, there's no indication as to how much this beauty cost, but I suspect the truth is that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Source: YouTube

saw this on their youtube the other day... i want one already lol. the amount of fun one can have by putting it in a dark room and getting it to load up when someone enters wud be amazing xD

Screw any other home security system. I'd put like 5 or 6 of these around the house and scare the crap out of some people :D

Put guns in that and it would actually work as a sentry turret, apart from the shooting everyone who passes, it'd need a way to tell the difference from the owners and intruders. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal to gun down intruders with a sentry turret.

i wonder how much it costs, i really want one to stand around in my room, then id actually have something to talk to.

Agow95:
Put guns in that and it would actually work as a sentry turret, apart from the shooting everyone who passes, it'd need a way to tell the difference from the owners and intruders. Also I'm pretty sure it's illegal to gun down intruders with a sentry turret.

It could always be supplied with non-lethal bullets I suppose.

Make it more of a BB gun than a live ammunition gun and you're sorted.

Edit: If you made it so that they put paint on the person as well that could help track them down.

Of course, you'd only activate that feature at night and need some way to remotely disable it.

I don't hate this.

Agow95:

Maybe in British Canada it is, but that would never stop Cave Johnson!

Makes me wonder how their TF2 turret is holding up...

Weta Workshop is awesome. Valve is awesome. This is awesome.

This would be an awesome greeter!
Probably never could afford it, but it would make one sweet birthday present!

It's subliminal messaging to buy and unpack crates, you guys!

Thought you had me fooled, Valve? Ha!
*buys hats*

Need this for Holloween. NOW!

Ought to look good next to their TF2 Sentry.

Is it wrong that my first thought on seeing it was "Let's see if it'll talk if you kick it over?"

I was impressed when it could target people and start 'shooting' with it's sensors and sound affects. I really think Valve outdid themselves when it came to creating the Portal Turret lol. I bet if they installed a lot more, it could also talk when asked things. But ether way, this is awesome.

Aeshi:

Is it wrong that my first thought on seeing it was "Let's see if it'll talk if you kick it over?"

Nope, that was my first thought too. "I don't blame you..."

So, who's with me to charter a bus to go & tour the Valve Office?

First a TF2 sentry and now this? Valve must be pretty paranoid about getting robbed.

Oh...I've actually come up with a practical use for such a sentry.
1) Reprogram it to only recognize Canadian Geese as valid targets
2) Load with less-lethal ammunition or butt-plugs
3) Place all over campus of University, in key locations (on top of buildings and anywhere on land that they like to nest)

4) Record results for fun and profit.

(seriously. the goose population here is out of control, and they poop EVERYWHERE)

Gabe Newell truly is the best boss ever.

Real-life? Well? Does it fire the whole bullet as it's supposed to or not?

They should also make defective turrets too, just for the lulz. Those are awesome too.

I'm different

I....instinctively want to kick it over......

Must ... resist ... urge to spend all my savings to buy one of my own.

Oh my god.

Oh.

My.

God.

Weta. Valve. Thank you. When I'm a millionaire I am totally getting myself one of these. Outstanding turret.

Knock it over knock it over XD

i wonder if ill be allowed to leagaly use those as home security assuming they are fully armed and opperational and can make swiss cheese out of intruders...
bah who cares about the law and all that shit! im gonna get one of those... or 24...

It's a shame they're so easy to knock over :P. Provided you get there of course.

Next should be giant GLADOS hanging at the ceiling of the main lobby.

Oh Weta, aren't you busy with The Hobbit? This is pretty damn awesome, though.

They need to put it in the same room as that life-sized, TF2 sentry gun Weta previously made. See if they mate.

Too awesome!

Shame that having this turret would actually make people MORE likely to break into your home though.

So adorable!

Agow95:

Ha, perhaps for you boring UK residents, but I live in the great state of Florida. Where we have a very special law, the "Stand your ground" law. Which means I'm perfectly within my rights to gun down anyone who steps onto my propertah.

Time to start saving up my money!

I'm confused, I swear that valve has actually been given one of these turrets before. Am I just experiencing some major deja vu here?

maybe they should make more of these, they shouldn't be to difficult or expensive to mass produce...

Weta's crafting abilities are pretty well near miraculous. There is now valid evidence to suggest that Santa Claus's workshop is in fact located in Wellington, New Zealand instead of being at the north pole as previously believed.

Valve is pretty lucky to get this gift, but they're an awesome studio so it's to be expected. The real question is: when can we expect a Half-Life Strider?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here