New, Skinny PS3s Won't Make Old Models Any Cheaper

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New, Skinny PS3s Won't Make Old Models Any Cheaper

Sony's John Koller thinks customers are sick of sales.

So there's a new, slimmer PS3 looming on the horizon. Usually when a new console variant hits the market, the old models drop in price to keep them competitive. That isn't happening with the PS3, at least not officially. The PS3 Slim-er comes in two variants, 250GB for $270 and 500GB for $300. The older 160GB and 320GB models will still cost you $250 and $300 respectively, essentially pricing the upper-end model out of the market. Weird.

According to John Koller, Sony Computer Entertainment America VP of marketing, handhelds and home consoles, customers are just sick of all those confusing price drops and sales.

"There's no price drop formally," he told Engadget. "But the thing that's been happening in the market over the last year or so is that there's been so many retail price promotions, and so many different gift card offers and all those things, being done by all of us [Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony], that we've heard from our consumer, 'Enough with all these weird price moves. What we really want is content and games and value.'"

Of course, no "formal price drop" doesn't mean no price drops at all, it just means Sony isn't willing to eat the cost of the discounts. Retailers, on the other hand, probably won't be too keen on having a collection of aging, obese consoles clogging up their shelves, so larger stores will probably start either dropping prices or selling makeshift bundles.

Sony has traditionally made big bank on its slim console re-releases. Both the PSOne and the PS2 slim helped drive sales, even during the twilight years of the consoles' lifespans. The PS3 was remodeled somewhat earlier in its lifespan compared to its predecessors, but the first slim model of the console boosted sales by over 1000% during its first week on the market.

Source: Engadget

Only a Sony executive could interpret "We'd like new content more than gimmicks" as "Please, never drop your prices ever again. We want to give you as much money as possible."

AFTERTHOUGHT: That said, I can't imagine why anyone would upgrade to a PS3 on the grounds that it's thinner. I used my PS2 Brick-O-Matic for the run of that entire generation. Something substantial like, you know, backwards compatibility might be nice.

I think Sony just proved they know NOTHING about consumers. There is not a single buyer who thinks "man, all these sales are so confusing, and not at all worth all this money I'm saving."

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard from a company.

So... it'll still cost $384 in my country? Sony, I am dissapoint.

Well, now there is a reason for me to buy a used ps3 in my local (Finland) gamestop. They are 150 euro and up, so now they'll probably be cheaper :D

All the stupidity John Koller is spewing aside... what is with the sales boost slimmed console variants rake in? Who really gets excited about this?
Equal opposite: Why did anyone buy a 3DS XL that already had a 3DS? That makes even less sense. It's a bigger version of a portable console. If you carry a purse, messenger bag, whatever, that might be ok; but why spend extra on that (which sales figures indicated a LOT of people did) when you already have the first one?

Unless the prices drop, Sony, sorry, I won't be buying one. I want The Last of Us and Ni No Kuni, but I'm not shelling out $250+ for a dying system. Sorry. For a system I only want a handful of games for, I wouldn't pay more than $150. I guess this means I just won't buy any of the games and will find Let's Plays of them instead.

It's so true!
If there is one thing people HATE, it's saving money.
-_-

Yeah, I just hate nothing more than going into a shop and seeing all the goodies I want to buy being cheaper than normal. By the ancestors, is he taking advice on how to make money from a derpy squid?

There's nothing that can quite breathe as much life into an outdated console as a price increase. When people are begging for either backward compatibility or a PS 4 Sony does neither and release the same console all over.

He has a point about the sales. As someone who worked in retail over the holidays, I can attest they had some batshit insane sales that were either very limited time, limited quantity, had odd gift card/rebate plans with only certain models, etc. I usually had to explain it twice to the average non-gamer customer before they got which model they were getting at what price point even after they read the sale.

That said, trying to release a new bit of hardware when the old hardware is the same goddamn price is just stupid, as is the fact that console price has remained mostly steady for the last 7 years, with only 1 price drop apart from the initial one from the sky high prices it released at.

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!

please tell me you're being sarcastic, or quoting the article.

captcha: Usual Suspects

Yeah, Sony is usually suspects when it comes to making bad ideas.

D-Soul:

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!

I would have thought my usual demeanor on this site was notorious enough that you figure out which from my user name.

Grey Carter:
Customers are just sick of all those confusing price drops and sales.

There's nothing I hate more than sales! I mean, with all these confusing drops in price going on, whatever would I spend all my abundant fortune on? What an insightful man this John Koller is! /Sarcasm

Surely the easiest way is to avoid all this retail confusion is to, oh I don't know... stop making so many bloody pointless console variants and bundles? Just a suggestion.

deth2munkies:
He has a point about the sales. As someone who worked in retail over the holidays, I can attest they had some batshit insane sales that were either very limited time, limited quantity, had odd gift card/rebate plans with only certain models, etc. I usually had to explain it twice to the average non-gamer customer before they got which model they were getting at what price point even after they read the sale.

That said, trying to release a new bit of hardware when the old hardware is the same goddamn price is just stupid, as is the fact that console price has remained mostly steady for the last 7 years, with only 1 price drop apart from the initial one from the sky high prices it released at.

I'm mostly on board with ^this. Still though, Koller could have been more subtle.

Still using my 1st gen ps3 last summer I bought a 320g hd for $80 in preparation of of my "instant game collection"

They want me to pay how much?

DVS BSTrD:

D-Soul:

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!

I would have thought my usual demeanor on this site was notorious enough that you figure out which from my user name.

Oh. OH!
You devious bastard.

I don't know what everyone's complaining about. I agree with the Sony guy, I personally hate saving money, because I need to look at the previous pricing and then look at the new pricing, then find a calculator so I can find out which one is the smaller number, I mean after the amount of time that takes it's just not worth the $100 anymore, so I think it's better that they do this because now I don't need to do all that stuff!

I would explain it in a bit more detail but it hurts to think so I'm just going to go and cook some ramen on my money burning stove.

Waiting for ps3 to drop to $100 or less, so I can play all the exclusives

I see used ps2's selling for $50 on amazon. Only a matter of time

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!
-_-

This.

Coupled with your profile pic.

Priceless

Waiting for ps3 price to drop to 20 bucks or less, so I can have ammo for my ps3 cannon.

Zombie_Moogle:

Equal opposite: Why did anyone buy a 3DS XL that already had a 3DS? That makes even less sense. It's a bigger version of a portable console.

Well one reason that I know of that at least a few people bought it was because they simply found the initial system to be too small for comfort. Just saying that it was a thing. :3

This really is mind-boggling to me. I just simply don't understand the logic of it at all. I was actually looking forward to the price drop in the older PS3 model. :/

I don't really care what Sony does as long as they don't do what Microsoft does and stop caring whether or not new software upgrades still work with the older models. Ever since last year's XBox update, I could never get my internet connection to stabilize on my older 360 model, and I tried both wireless and wired.

Reminds me of this:

Still waiting for that slim Vita and the Slim XL Vita or whatever.

OT: Okay, Sony must think consumers are dumb. "Hey, guys! We heard you complain about how you probably bought a system after the holidays and it had less stuff and was more expensive so...we're getting rid of sales altogether as opposed to implementing a permanent price drop or more sales! You're welcome! :D"

You know what's even worse? There's a PS3 Slim (The first slim) bundle coming out, $300, 320gb of memory (Really, it's hard to fill that up as it is) that already comes with AC3. If I had to choose one, I'd go for the AC3 bundle. And if my fat PS3 ever gives up, I'll probably just buy the cheapest slim version and replace the HD myself. it's still way cheaper than buying the bundle itself.

And personal rant? The new slim-slim PS3 looks pretty cheap. Just saiyan.

I bought an Australian 60gb version when they first released (yes I paid through the nose), upgraded it with a 500gb drive and I cant see me changing anytime soon, that sweet backward compatibility (that I rarely use) is just enough of a drool factor to make my lil PS3 worth keeping.

DVS BSTrD:

D-Soul:

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!

Alas theres always going to be one newcomer who has yet to learn the ropes...

Irridium:

DVS BSTrD:

Oh. OH!
You devious bastard.

You know it! >)

antipunt:

DVS BSTrD:
It's so true!
-_-

This.

Coupled with your profile pic.

Priceless

I was wondering if my new avatar was ever going to get any love

gigastar:
Alas theres always going to be one newcomer who has yet to learn the ropes...

Newbs Whata ya gunna do?

Sooo we customers hate when things go on sale? Really?!? Wow! I guess we can all understand exactly why SONY is in such deep trouble in recent years.

They can make all the bad stupid decisions they want. They are Sony. They don't care of the units don't sell, they have basically eaten so much loss from other bad decisions it doesn't make any difference now.

Ugg, saving money. The poor college student's worse enemy.

On a serious note though, maybe they took the whole 3DS price drop thing too seriously?
(I do remember lots of people complaining about that, but that might of just been the Internet...)
Either that or they're just using that as an excuse to be Sony .__.

Customers hate paying less, I saw a customer this one time, and they walked out of the store! And without buying anything! They must have been too confused with how varied the prices are, we're just doing them a favour.

Seriously though, how stupid do you have to be to keep an inferior product at the same price as a newer better one? Last time I checked businesses wanted to make money.

Well, now we don't even have to get Sony coal for the holidays, because by then they'll have dug themselves a hole so deep that they'll already have passed right by the mantle and gone straight into the earth's toasty core.

$300 for a 320GB PS3.

or

$300 for a 500GB PS3 that is smaller and lighter.

and they think that is logical pricing?

It's not even the lack of sales they are doing, the prices just literally do not make sense. Like how in the UK I could buy the new 500GB PS3 for 250, or get it for the same price with a game as well. Why would anybody choose the option without it? You can always sell the game if you do not actually want it.

I suppose there are idiots in every company.

Really, I think they're consciously overpricing older varieties in comparison to the new one so that the sales figures will show it wasn't a complete waste of effort making it, which I think it pretty much is.

He's absolutely right. I'm sick of all these sales and bargains, sick of all the money I could save up and spend on games. Just sick of it.
You know what, fuck off Sony. I postponed buying a new PS3 because I hoped (against hope) that you'll be innovative and smart with this "new" release. Now I'll just get a second-hand one.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)