Rumor Mill: Half Life 3 To Have Open-World, Quests

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rumor Mill: Half Life 3 To Have Open-World, Quests

An anonymous source warns of a very different Half Life game arriving "after 2013."

Put on your speculation hats, kids, it's anonymous source time! Right now, Half Life 2: Episode 3 seems like a ludicrously distant concept. Half Life 3 even more so: The game is so far off that conversations about it start to sound like science fiction. But while we wait for the gears at Valve to finish (or indeed, begin) turning, we can keep ourselves entertained with some wild, unsubstantiated rumors passed on to a French gaming website from a "reliable" anonymous source.

According to this source, Half Life 3 has had a somewhat troubled development cycle, and Valve has killed and "revived" the project several times. That's hardly Deepthroat-level information gathering: Valve is notorious for scrapping and restarting its projects - I mean, take a look at these early Team Fortress 2 screenshots. More interesting are the claims that the latest incarnation of the game sports an open-world, quests and NPCs the player can interact with. If true, that would not only be a departure from Half Life's established gameplay, but from the tightly-structured, linear narrative style that's become synonymous with Valve's single player games.

Outlandish? Perhaps, but not impossible. Half Life 2 dwarfed its predecessor in terms of scope, so it wouldn't be completely ridiculous to imagine that Half Life 3 will do the same. Either way, we're going to be waiting for a while: The game will apparently launch "after 2013."

Earlier this year, Valve Time managed to dig up some Episode 3 concept art from 2008. A common fan theory holds that Episode 3 has in fact been canceled, and Valve is hard at work integrating its content into Half Life 3. Valve is staying quiet, though when asked about the project on Spike TV, Gabe Newell responded with, "I hate sharks."

Source: Journaldugamer

Ya I'm going to call B.S. since valve would say nothing until they are ready.

I heard a rumor that HL:3 is going to contain the meaning of life at the end, do I get a news post now?

"Anonymous source", eh?

I will now commence not holding my breath.

Faaaaaaaake. It's so obvious, I don't why people are wasting their time writing articles about this "rumor".

6th And Silver:
"Anonymous source", eh?

I will now commence not holding my breath.

The irony here being that Grey is the writer of this article.

I also heard that Freeman will get a magic flying unicorn called Alister Michael Smith III.

once again, if it happens it happens , if not there are plenty of games to enjoy

Have to give credit to this article though, people ask for updates on certain titles and its good to see that there is effort to dig for it. Thanks Grey

Huh what, Half Life 3 ?
Sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound how awesome Black Mesa is.

I'll bet a small box of sweeites and my firstborn that HL2:EP3, should it ever be released, will suffer from the Duke Nukem effect.

In other news, NASA today announced that pigs DO, in fact, fly.

CoL0sS:
Huh what, Half Life 3 ?
Sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound how awesome Black Mesa is.

Yep, Black Mesa really hit the spot.

HAHAHAHAHA No.

Half Life? Open World? Sidequests? Whatever the hell the sources are using, i would like to have some please.

IF the rumours happens to be true then it is open season on my favourite developer.

Edit: Actually no scratch that. It is open season on the moron who started this rumour.

"Hey kids! Lets go on a fetch quest to bring ten antlion ballsacks to a grumpy old man in the company of Alyx who is mourning after his dad." (fuck spoilers)

I have sources that say the game will make you shit gold and cure cancer.

an openworld halflife with side quests. that has perked my interest

Much like KOTOR 3, it will prove that Half Life 3 will be an MMO.

If there will be anything extraordinary about HL3, other than just being a great shooter, then considering the rumors about Valve's hardware development and their hype of the Oculus Rift, it will be VR based.

Probably B.S., but if not that would be bad news.

IMO Half-Life isn't about Open-World...like...at all

Especially Half-Life 2 was so great because it's linear Leveldesign was greatly paced and felt like an organic "Journey".

(Also...honestly..F**k Open World, unless it's an integral part of the gameplay concept it usually ends up being a playground for stretched, padded gameplay time with boring fetchquests and constant backtracking)

But yea, probably B.S., so...

All the speculation over and over again. I'll just leave this here.

Gaben was on SpikeTV? Oh, that poor man. I can't imagine the horrorible feeling that a man that genuinely loves video games had to endure while he had to deal with those presenters. I can only hope he wasn't so deeply scarred that he cancelled Episode 3 out of sheer spite.

Entitled:
If there will be anything extraordinary about HL3, other than just being a great shooter, then considering the rumors about Valve's hardware development and their hype of the Oculus Rift, it will be VR based.

You know, with the money Valve invested in VR tech recently, that could be a very distinct and very cool possibility. It means you can actually hold the crowbar in your own hands for once.

Bhaalspawn:

Anyway. I have my own theory about this.
What is not Half-Life 3 is open-world, but there will be an open-world game in the Half-Life universe?
I'd totally buy that.

A common fan theory holds that Episode 3 has in fact been canceled, and Valve is hard at work integrating its content into Half Life 3.

I thoroughly hope so, as much as I have been anxious for that shit forever, it would be so anti-climatic for everyone if valve just put out Episode 3 after all this time. They killed 'episodic gaming' by neglecting episode 3 ages ago.

Really? I heard it was going to become a turn based strategy game.

TheSniperFan:
What is not Half-Life 3 is open-world, but there will be an open-world game in the Half-Life universe?
I'd totally buy that.

Agreed. I'd say this is much more plausible than Half-Life 3 being open world. What makes the Half-Life series great is the aforementioned tight scripting and linear level design, because it means that everything can be put together with much more precision; an open-world game would completely nullify that. Plus, NPC interaction would mean the end of Gordon as a silent protagonist, and nobody wants that.

Anachronism:
Agreed. I'd say this is much more plausible than Half-Life 3 being open world. What makes the Half-Life series great is the aforementioned tight scripting and linear level design, because it means that everything can be put together with much more precision; an open-world game would completely nullify that. Plus, NPC interaction would mean the end of Gordon as a silent protagonist, and nobody wants that.

Yeah that's what I thought.
Maybe a translation issue or something like that, although I think that chances are better that it is complete nonsense.
I'd love to be wrong though. No matter if it plays between Half-Life and Half-LifeČ or during Half-LifeČ, I'd be awesome.

This 2014....Gordon Freeman's going to Pandora (cue: "Ain't no Rest for the Wicked" intro music, Cut to Freeman and Brick screaming through the desert brandishing crowbars)

Eeesh. An open-world Half Life makes me nauseous, their scripted stuff is too good to throw away for the sandbox bandwagon. Glad this rumor seems like bullshit.

All I hear is HL3 has sharks in it. :P

What this about half life 3? rumors? Bah humbug, I'll contiue playing the games I have right now and wait for games I know are coming.

Lets face it, half life three will become the next Duke Nukem forever. only ten times the result at the end. I.e we wait 100 years, or maybe a 1,000 years.

Didn't valve state after finishing Portal 2 that they were done with making single player games?

...and somewhere the owner of an obscure French gaming blog is laughing his ass off and counting all his new page views.

Evil Smurf:
I have sources that say the game will make you shit gold and cure cancer.

You're wrong. It only cures AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis. They plan to save cancer for the sequel.

I don't believe in rumours about Half-Life 3. It might happen, but I wont trust rumours about a game that the developers haven't even announced that they are actually working on.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2942869
Marc Laidlaw

"Keep in mind that there are people on the internet claiming to be me, and a number of posts purportedly by sources at Valve (including emails such as this one) are forged and propagated for someone's amusement. This is what I refer to as the community trolling itself."

Yeah, the community really needs to stop trolling itself.

TheSniperFan:

Bhaalspawn:

Anyway. I have my own theory about this.
I'd totally buy that.

Part of me thinks you're the same guy who posted that video the last time I made this image.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here