Ubisoft Unveils Far Cry 3 PC Requirements

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Unveils Far Cry 3 PC Requirements

Check out the Far Cry 3 PC specs and then tell the world about your worst vacation ever with personalized "Holiday From Hell" postcards.

Two scenarios could play out when you tell the guy behind the counter that you want a copy of Far Cry 3. He could say, "Which console do you have?" and you'll tell him, and he'll hand you the appropriate package and send you on your way; or he might say, "What video card do you have," at which point you can enjoy a momentary swell of pride as your status among the elite is once again reaffirmed.

The downside is that you'll also actually need to know what kind of video card you have, and so to assist you in preparing for the big moment Ubisoft has revealed what kind of video card you'll need, plus a few other tidbits of potentially useful information as well. Pay attention!

Minimum Spec:

• Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher

Recommended Spec:

• Processor: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 or better
  • RAM: 6 GB
  • Video Card: 1024 MB DirectX 11-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher

Make 'Em Jealous Spec:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX-4150 or better
  • RAM: 8 GB

Supported video chipsets include the AMD Radeon HD 2900/3000/4000/5000/6000/7000 series, and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 8800/9000 and GT 200/400/500/600 series.

While you wait for Far Cry 3 to launch, you can pass a little time with the "Holiday From Hell" postcard maker, a Facebook app that lets you create and send personalized tropical paradise greeting cards to all your friends and enemies. Yes, it's Facebook, and I know that'll turn some of you off, but it's actually very easy to use and as you can see, the results are undeniably spectacular - although not everyone is going to have the same quality of sexy source material as me.

Far Cry 3 comes out on December 4 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Uplay forums, Facebook

As someone who has never owned a decent PC (sadface), those spec lists may as well be the code of the Matrix for all the difference in sense it makes. All I see is a random conglomeration of numbers and letters,

Yaaaay I fit the minimum requirements. Who said you had to upgrade every year, this shit's 5 years old and can still run stuff.

poiumty:
Yaaaay I fit the minimum requirements. Who said you had to upgrade every year, this shit's 5 years old and can still run stuff.

That's true of just about any game these days. As long as games continue to be developed for the Xbox 360 and then ported to everything else, you can get away with 5 year old hardware. The only reason to get new stuff is if you want a smooth experience at very high resolutions, or you want to turn on the extra eyecandy that some developers are nice enough to provide with the PC version.

Andy Chalk:

Minimum Spec:

• Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher

Uh huh...

Recommended Spec:

• Processor: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 or better
  • RAM: 6 GB

Okay...

Make 'Em Jealous Spec:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX-4150 or better
  • RAM: 8 GB

Right so whats the name of the Spec thats better than all three of the ones listened? If the third one is Make 'Em Jealous then are all the builds above it's standard the Make 'Em Cry Spec? Far Cry that is.

I like the fact they compare the Intel Core i7-2600K to the AMD FX-4150, the FX series is slower than their last gen (Phenom II) for games.

Marketing department hoooo!

My computer falls into the category of 'Make'Em Jealous Spec' or above (Hades, but I love building my own ridiculously over-powered PCs) and I would have loved to have bought this game. Or buy this game when it comes out but alas, Ubisoft. None of my moneys will ever go to you again.

GenGenners:
As someone who has never owned a decent PC (sadface), those spec lists may as well be the code of the Matrix for all the difference in sense it makes. All I see is a random conglomeration of numbers and letters,

Translation
Min specs
Most likely your 4 year old $800 desktop (that you didn't make because it would be a crap ton better if you did) can kinda run the game.
$500 new desktop might be able to run it (depending if it had dedicated graphics card or an A8 APU)
Recommended specs
You spent about $800 about 4 years ago and made your own desktop with gaming in mind
You spent about $600 dollars recently to make your own computer with gaming in mind
Make em jealous
You spent about $800 or more to make your own desktop
You are an idiot and spent $2500 on a new alien ware

Best way to predict if you can run it is rather overkill the recommended specs or try a demo

Well my Video Card will make em jealous, but my Processor? Yeah, I really need to upgrade my 3.3 GHz Athlon X2....

Unfortunately, my wife's not likely to go for that any time soon.

They equated a 4 core FX chip to a i7 2600K. Lol to the power of wat, that's just silly.

Warped_Ghost:

GenGenners:

Translation
Min specs
Most likely your 4 year old $800 desktop (that you didn't make because it would be a crap ton better if you did) can kinda run the game.
$500 new desktop might be able to run it (depending if it had dedicated graphics card or an A8 APU)
Recommended specs
You spent about $800 about 4 years ago and made your own desktop with gaming in mind
You spent about $600 dollars recently to make your own computer with gaming in mind
Make em jealous

Best way to predict if you can run it is rather overkill the recommended specs or try a demo

How would I even go about making my own desktop? I have no idea >_>

GenGenners:

Warped_Ghost:

GenGenners:

Translation
Min specs
Recommended specs
Make em jealous

It really isn't that hard

Make sure your parts are compatible before you but them by asking a forum or some other way.
Also always order online (its almost always cheaper).

Here is part one of a pretty good tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Wow, so it's an actual PC game instead of a port. Oh, Ubisoft, you are such a lovable schizophrenic...

So I guess I'll be "making them jealous" and then some.

That is the most useless minimum/recommended requirements list I've seen in a while. The video cards in particular are completely arbitrary and don't tell you anything (you can get a relatively low end card with a gig of RAM on it which will be a joke compared to a "real card"; my old 512MB 4770 is massively faster than my friend's 1GB GT 240), and as has already been pointed out, the CPUs they list are just silly. And I'm sure to actually run on the highest settings and look as pretty as what they've been showing off previously, you'll need a much better video card than they're implying.

Waaghpowa:

Ooo, I'm jealous!

I'm feeling skeptical. I think that the requirements are fake, they have been tweaked for marketing purposes. I suppose we'll find out soon.

I can accept these specs, as the game looks incredibly nice.
Dishonored on the other hand, has absolutely fucking ridiculous specifications, considering that it doesn't even look that great, graphically speaking. Sure the style looks nice and all, but check the actual graphical prowess at play in the demos and tell me if you would put a GTX 460 as minimum for that.
OT: Far Cry 3 does look pretty cool, although the MP might not be my cup of tea.

Spec wise I can do this easily since my current rig is rated 'jealous' but do I open up my wallet to a company that treated and called paying PC customers pirates and treated them all as such but has recently recanted?

Ubi why do you make things so difficult?

Warped_Ghost:

GenGenners:

Warped_Ghost:

Translation
Min specs
Recommended specs
Make em jealous

It really isn't that hard

Make sure your parts are compatible before you but them by asking a forum or some other way.
Also always order online (its almost always cheaper).

Here is part one of a pretty good tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

I love you! ^-^

Make em Jealous specs for me, well sort of. Ivy Bridge i5 3570 out benchmarks a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k in a lot of areas. Doesn't matter though I would rather go buy two games each from EA and Activision than buy a single Ubisoft game.

Maybe when its 3.75 on Steam I might have a look

*Looks at 4 year old laptop that was below average on time of release*

Ah well, I didn't want to play it that much anyway.

Finaly something that might push my pc slightly :D

Waaghpowa:

Join the club, *pats pc case*
Heck even my laptop is in that catagory :-)

Looks like I will be making some people jealous. Far Cry 3 looks like it will be a lot of fun. Hopefully it also has a decent story too.

What operating systems? I've got 4GB of RAM in my xp computer so I hope it'll run on XP.

Nalgas D. Lemur:
That is the most useless minimum/recommended requirements list I've seen in a while. The video cards in particular are completely arbitrary and don't tell you anything (you can get a relatively low end card with a gig of RAM on it which will be a joke compared to a "real card"; my old 512MB 4770 is massively faster than my friend's 1GB GT 240), and as has already been pointed out, the CPUs they list are just silly. And I'm sure to actually run on the highest settings and look as pretty as what they've been showing off previously, you'll need a much better video card than they're implying.

This, 1000x this. I've got a midrange multimedia/gaming laptop from a year or so ago (Asus N55SF) and it has a Nvidia GT555m with 2GB of video memory.

...But the GT555m is only roughly on par with a desktop 8800GT from five years ago, in fact I think the GT555m is a bit slower. Video memory is an important consideration in a card, but lots of VRAM =/= a fast card. They need to provide some actual example cards like 'GTX560 Ti 2GB' to give us a performance ballpark.

Joining the GPU complaint train here. That gpu spec means nothing. Why can't they just do recommended = gtx 560ti or higher or amd 5xxx 6xxx 7xxx etc... GB is pretty meaningless as a measure of performance.

my computer looked and said nope.avi

Le sigh

If there not pushing the limits of the technology kinda seems pointless

I am somewhere between recommended and make em jealous. It does seem that on this occasion it might actually be worth having a PC.

In reality you'll be able to run it at full spec on the recommended settings.

The recommender spec for games is almost always higher than it needs to be. And judging by how they're comparing an i7 to a AMD FX-4150, they're being paid to say it. An i5 2500k walks all over an fx-4250. And You never need a top of the range graphics card. Truth of the matter is if it runs DX-11 it'll run any game on top spec.

Not even a challenge for my system. I would be mad if it was, considering what I paid for the rack.

I guess my computer would recommend jealousy since it falls between the two. Curse my first gen i7 and my lack of desire to upgrade for a minimum of one more year.

Xan Krieger:
What operating systems? I've got 4GB of RAM in my xp computer so I hope it'll run on XP.

Minimum specs require directx 9 so it should run on xp.

On another note 8GB??? my god what the hell is this thing doing? I don't think i've ever seen a game request more than 4GB. Either way my rig is fine when i upgrade the gpu when it arrives in a few days (well it's fine now but i want a pretty 600 series).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here