Project Eternity Breaks $2 Million

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Project Eternity Breaks $2 Million

Obsidian's Kickstarter RPG adds a new stretch goal as it cruises into the multiple millions.

I don't think there was any real doubt that Obsidian's Project Eternity Kickstarter was going to be a success. The question now is how big a success it will ultimately prove to be. At this point, it looks like the answer will be "pretty big," and perhaps even "really big."

With 20 days left on the clock, Project Eternity has blown past the $2 million dollar mark, with more than 47,000 people pledging their money to a game that, when you get right down to it, nobody really knows anything about. Hitting that goal means Obsidian will add customizable player houses to the game, where players can store surplus equipment or partake in the sacred Elven ritual of "chillaxation."

The next "stretch goal," at $2.2 million, will add a new faction, new companion and translations into French, German and Spanish, while $2.3 million will add the new "Godlike" races, similar to the planetouched races of Dungeons & Dragons, and three different gameplay modes: Expert, Trial of Iron and Path of the Damned. Trial of Iron will give players just one single save spot for the entire campaign that's deleted if they die, while Path of the Damned will be akin to Icewind Dale's ridiculous Heart of Fury mode, making combat "much more difficult for everyone involved."

Stretch goals at $2.4 million and beyond are still being determined, but with 20 days to go it seems very likely they'll be needed.

Source: Kickstarter

Obsidian has some MASSIVE BALLS.

Constantly they bitch that 'it's their partners' that cause them to release buggy/semi-broken games.

Now they're getting the kind of support that they will show that either they're a good as they think they are or..

Or they'll need to 'take it like a man' if the game is as wonky as other games.
;)

Coolness, now they need to get out there and make something worth 2 million dollars. :p

I wish the best of luck to them.

Ahhhhhhhhh yes. Set in the world of Totally Not westen Europe

A wise choice.

I'm happy for them and I hope they'll make it the best they possibly can.

Here's hoping this game isn't hopelessly broken when it comes out. Otherwise, I am pretty excited for this.

Come play our game!
For ever,
and ever
and ever...

Scrumpmonkey:

A wise choice.

Reminds me of Eriador, so it's more like the [B]Totally Not[/b] the land that's Totally Not Westen Europe England :P

Why are people always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian? My experiences with their games have been pretty bug free and enjoyable.

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't have to postpone it.

I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down. This is Obsidian we're talking about.

David Bray:
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down. This is Obsidian we're talking about.

You mean, the game company that constantly releases games that have promise, but are buggy, and then blames it on the publisher?

To be fair, Lucasarts is responsible for what happened to KOTOR II, and Obsidian did want to fix that, but couldn't. But that excuse only works once, not on every single game they ever make.

Kickstarters are starting to feel like school fundraisers did for me as a kid. 'Oh look at all the cool stuff if only I sell another twenty candy bars'. I dunno maybe I've got some sort of too much kickstarter cynicism developing.

Tanis:
Obsidian has some MASSIVE BALLS.

Constantly they bitch that 'it's their partners' that cause them to release buggy/semi-broken games.

Now they're getting the kind of support that they will show that either they're a good as they think they are or..

Or they'll need to 'take it like a man' if the game is as wonky as other games.
;)

Citation needed. Generally it's the fans saying things along those lines. The only time to my knowledge that Obsidian did anything that could be considered complaining would be for the KOTOR II situation. And that was because George Lucas is an asshole.

Meh. I love the project, and the early stretch goals, but I'm not particularly interested in player housing, extra game modes, Godlikes etc etc. That's the way it goes, though, sometimes you love stretch goals, some times not so much. The content goals interest me more. New areas, new quests, new factions etc.

thebobmaster:

You mean, the game company that constantly releases games that have promise, but are buggy, and then blames it on the publisher?

To be fair, Lucasarts is responsible for what happened to KOTOR II, and Obsidian did want to fix that, but couldn't. But that excuse only works once, not on every single game they ever make.

I was thinking less the bugs and more just the fact the games are bad. Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III. They're basically famous for borrowing other people's cast offs and milking them till their dead.

Scrumpmonkey:

A wise choice.

Looks like someone took a planetbuster to France and Iberia but carefully left the low countries intact.

Hey, Obsidian.

Don't fuck this up, yeah?

David Bray:

thebobmaster:

I was thinking less the bugs and more just the fact the games are bad. Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III. They're basically famous for borrowing other people's cast offs and milking them till their dead.

I... what? Alpha Protocol was an original IP. They also did New Vegas, which was them returning to their own cast-off franchise. The South Park game is not a sequel, though it's also not an original IP.

That leaves... what, Dungeon Siege 3, NWN 2, and KotOR 2? Two buggy, incomplete games and one non-buggy, actually pretty solid game that I totally ignored.

At worst you can say that the quality of those games is mixed at best - both as a whole, and on an individual level. NWN 2 was boring and had a terrible camera, but its expansion Mask of the Betrayer was one of the best things ever. Alpha Protocol had a baller-tier conversation system, but was very buggy and had bad level design. And so on.

Oh right, I intended to donate to this when my pay came through. Thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to seeing this come out eventually. I just hope the game turns out how they promised.

I would so pledge this project if I had internet banking.

thebobmaster:

David Bray:

You ever heard of facts? Kind of important in a discussion. Dungeon Siege 3 is stable for just about everyone as far as I've heard. But New Vegas was buggy because Bethesda fucked up the testing, KotoR II had lucas arts and they didn't have much time/resources to polish Alpha Protocol.

They used their own engine on DS3 so anyone saying they're bad at making their games free of bugs is lying or making stuff up.

Developers need to fucking stop getting in on this "stretch goal" shit.

It's not incentivizing them to make their products better, they're just baiting players into pre-ordering something they don't even know the first thing about, which really needs to be pre-emptively considered fraud.

Ugh...I made the mistake of playng Icewind Dale AFTER Baldur's Gate 1 & 2....Bored the snot out of me. Qhy couldn't they just say it would be more like Baldur's Gate? Is it because Black Isle Studios is back & might actually make BG3?

I'll buy it anyway; I was still clung tenaciously to 2.5D when everyone else was clamoring for fugly polygons.

Cid SilverWing:

It's not incentivizing them to make their products better, they're just baiting players into pre-ordering something they don't even know the first thing about, which really needs to be pre-emptively considered fraud.

That's not really a criticism against stretch goals, more against the entire idea of crowdfunding, no?

Cid SilverWing:

How is it fraud? They aren't lying or misleading anyone about anything. People are putting money into this because they either like Obsidian, or wish to see a return of old school isometric RPGs, or both. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this system.

If you don't find crowd sourcing reliable or worth the risk that's one thing, but calling it "fraud" is just being hyperbolic and simply incorrect.

Cid SilverWing:

Firstly, as Monsterfurby says that's nothing to do with stretch goals but rather the entire method of funding. And secondly, why the hell do people keep claiming it's fraud? It's investment, plain and simple. Someone asks for money for work they will do in the future. Either you trust them do so and give them some money, accepting that there is always a risk the work will not actually get done. Or you don't trust them and don't give them anything, accepting that if the work does get done you won't benefit from having invested ahead of time. As with any investment, there is always the possibility for fraud, but that certainly does not mean that any investment opportunity must always be fraud.

As for stretch goals, if that was what you actually meant to complain about, I don't see any problems there either. Doing things takes time and money. If someone wants to make a game, they'll need a certain amount of money to do so. If they want to make a bigger game with more content, they'll need more money. Stretch goals are simply a way of letting people know exactly how the game will be expanded depending on how much extra money they get. What's wrong with that?

OniaPL:
Why are people always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian? My experiences with their games have been pretty bug free and enjoyable.

Because yours isn't the majority experience.

thebobmaster:

David Bray:

But it's also factual that they weren't the ones who were allowed to QA Fallout: New Vegas, Bestheda insisted that Bethseda do the QA on it.

Besides, Obsidian have never failed to release a well written game and it's fair to say that the writers on this game have been responsible for nearly every game that people hold up as the best written games in our industry, apart from KotoR and Psychonauts

Remind me, when is the first Kickstarter-project actually hitting the shelves? When is Psychonauts 2 or Wasteland 2 showing up, for instance?

Woodsey:

OniaPL:

Oh really? What other genius insights do you have, oh Nostradamus?

No shit it isn't the majority experience, but I also am willing to bet I am not the only one. People always start in any Obsidian- related thread rabbling about them and act like whatever they put out is bad on the tech side and buggy as hell 100% of the time, but clearly that's not the case.

I'm in a same situation as the above poster, I have never had any problems with an Obsidian game

Wait, it says that Mac and Linux support are done and added.

Seriously, that's all it took? Sounds like it took them all of 5 minutes to accomplish that. If it's as easy as that then why the hell are developers so stingy about providing the support for other OS's? Does Microsoft dole out money to convince developers to stick with the DirectX API or something?

Realitycrash:
Remind me, when is the first Kickstarter-project actually hitting the shelves? When is Psychonauts 2 or Wasteland 2 showing up, for instance?

FTL was crowdfunded, IIRC.

OniaPL:

Woodsey:

OniaPL:

Oh really? What other genius insights do you have, oh Nostradamus?

No shit it isn't the majority experience, but I also am willing to bet I am not the only one. People always start in any Obsidian- related thread rabbling about them and act like whatever they put out is bad on the tech side and buggy as hell 100% of the time, but clearly that's not the case.

Well then why are you fucking confused about them complaining about buggy games? People are always mentioning bugginess when it comes to Obsidian games because most of the time, they're fucking buggy. And those people who are complaining will have had a buggy copy. So they'll complain about it. Because it was buggy. They don't need to vouch for every single copy to make you feel better.

For everyone getting cynical about Kickstarters: It may seem like a passing trend now, but it represents a future free of publisher tyranny. Think of how many studios and games have been ruined by terrible oversight. Even if Kickstarters don't survive, the concept has been established. And it's an excellent way to see just what your playerbase will want and cater to that without having to rely on the demonstably bad judgment of a lot of publishers.

Stretch goals too, are a good idea. That way you don't just have people give you 2 million dollars and then are somehow disappointed when you produce something that is only worth the original goal.

Finally Obsidian will have no-one to blame if the game is buggy. But I get the feeling that won't be a major issue.

StashAugustine:

Realitycrash:

And what's the difference between kickstarter and crowdfunded?

Realitycrash:

StashAugustine:

Realitycrash:

And what's the difference between kickstarter and crowdfunded?

Kickstarter is a method of crowdfunding, but not the only one. That is, all kickstarter projects are crowdfunded, not all crowdfunded projects are kickstarters.
That said:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light?ref=live
FTL was a kickstarter crowdfunded project.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here