Assassin's Creed III Gets Historical With Boston Tea Party Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Assassin's Creed III Gets Historical With Boston Tea Party Trailer

The Assassins and Templars were involved in the American Revolution, just like you learned in history class.

Assassin's Creed III takes place during the American Revolution, a time when Colonial America revolted against its British overlords and declared independence. One of the key events in the revolution was the Boston Tea Party, which you probably learned about if you were paying attention in history class. If not, this trailer provides a quick overview of "the revolution you were told about."

Of course, in Assassin's Creed III, there's another revolution that's not in the history books: "the one that matters," according to the video. There's only a brief look at actual gameplay, though we do get a glimpse of new protagonist Connor on the battlefields of the Revolutionary War and participating in the famed Boston Tea Party.

We'll find out just how the Assassins and Templars got mixed up in the America Revolution when Assassin's Creed III launches in North America on October 30.

Dark Knight Rises? >_>

Not the tea!

Noooooooooooooo!

I'm curious to see how they handle the story with this, curious indeed.

Daystar Clarion:

Not the tea!

Noooooooooooooo!

I know. :(
We should build a time machine and see if we can get that harbor boiling. Then we can at least have an awfully horrid, salty cuppa.
It's still better than no cuppa.

Only uncivilized peasant rabble would destroy perfectly fine tea. And I, for one, do not feel the urge to belittle myself by 'delving into' whatever part of this petty revolt might be considered 'important'. Those blasted colonials don't deserve to be guided by our superior intellectual leadership. Let them stray, I say, from the rightious paths.

Now back to what truly matters.

Walter! Fetch my horse and musket, ready the hounds and tell the cook to prepare; I'm going to hunt some stags for dinner.

All this talk in the trailer about "rebels" going after "The Empire" (no one called it that back then, by the way) you'd think it was a Star Wars spin-off.

Mike Kayatta:
All this talk in the trailer about "rebels" going after "The Empire" (no one called it that back then, by the way) you'd think it was a Star Wars spin-off.

The Revolution would have been a lot better with lightsabers.

Daystar Clarion:

they miraculously invent the coke float.

cos 'merica! fuck yeah!
--------

seeing the trailer just threw all little hope of the protagonist being neutral.
the trailer should had started with:

people were fed up with paying taxes, which they don't really had to nor did pay to the crown.
also they liked the smuggled low grade tea (which they probably used for ice tea) more than that commie high grade tea from india.

so they took up arms 'n' shit.

Mike Kayatta:

hmm.. i smell dlc

The French did win an epic victory in the Revolutionary war, the British Empire thought they where a spent force after the seven years war. Then they managed the break the colonies away from British rule.

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

"Punch it!"
"Uh, Sir? This is a sailing vessel. We can be underway in 3 hours, if you'd like."
"Harumph. Carry on, then."

OT: I'm not an American history buff, but wasn't the actual destruction of the tea done by a rather small group, some dressed like Mohawks, secretly in the dead of night? It's not exactly the stirring panoply of mixed class and gender in the video.

Why on earth would you want to put such details in a history class? It's only relevant for Americans.

Wait a second - they're not dressed up like natives! This isn't the Boston Tea Party.

Thunderous Cacophony:

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

"Punch it!"
"Uh, Sir? This is a sailing vessel. We can be underway in 3 hours, if you'd like."
"Harumph. Carry on, then."

OT: I'm not an American history buff, but wasn't the actual destruction of the tea done by a rather small group, some dressed like Mohawks, secretly in the dead of night? It's not exactly the stirring panoply of mixed class and gender in the video.

That's true except It wasn't exactly "small", but the Mob in the Boston "Massacre" was led by a black man.

I hope you don't actually appear to be an Assassin like in the last two games, it wouldn't make any damn sense because everyone would instantly know who you are.

"Look! There goes that guy who is dressed up like an Assassin! Damn! He moved into that crowd of people wearing petticoats and tri-corner hats! We'll never find him now!"

Can this article not assume that everyone lives in America?

No, I didn't learn about this in history class. I thought everyone learnt about the First Fleet, the Eureka Stockade and Federation in 1901!

The one that mattered? Wow that's actually very insulting to American history.

I have a feeling this game is still going to be more historically accurate than that OTHER Tea Party that's been around for a few years.

Mike Kayatta:

Now I'm picturing the fight in Empire happening on a ship with large crates of Tea being thrown at Luke.

And it's awesome.

Bullfrog1983:
I hope you don't actually appear to be an Assassin like in the last two games, it wouldn't make any damn sense because everyone would instantly know who you are.

"Look! There goes that guy who is dressed up like an Assassin! Damn! He moved into that crowd of people wearing petticoats and tri-corner hats! We'll never find him now!"

Maybe if they snag a tri-corn hat and a petticoat, they will blend in.

Bullfrog1983:

Um, isn't it pretty obvious by this point in the series that 'true' Assassins have super-powers? I mean, they've never outright said it, but look... super-human free running abilities that the subject is born with; eagle vision; and it's been heavily implied in Desmond's arc that the first Assassins were 'created' by the One's Who Came Before, meaning that they're basically Demi-Gods. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see there ability to blend into crowds so easily as just another manifestation of their abilities.

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

Ask and you shall receive.
OT: I have to say I like how this trailer shows the Boston Massacre accurately, a line of soldiers firing on an angry mob, not helpless citizens. I also like how they say "this is how it happened...or at least that's what you think"

P.S. I lot of people have commented about liberal use of the word Empire...well wasn't Britain an Empire?

Bullfrog1983:

Well you see, there's an obvious solution to this problem.

Assassins are magic.

Blablahb:
Why on earth would you want to put such details in a history class? It's only relevant for Americans.

You think the American Revolution might be an important part of English history considering that they lost the colonies in the American Revolution and suffered their first major defeat in awhile, and French considering that the American Revolution helped spark off the French Revolution.

Bullfrog1983:
Wait a second - they're not dressed up like natives! This isn't the Boston Tea Party.

Uh, it isn't unknown for Assassin's Creed to beat history over the head.

Erm, those taxes that the Empire was apparently subjugating the Colonies with? You know that the British were actually pretty lax about collecting taxes, right? It's not like we were going round demanding a pound of flesh from any poor sod we found in the colonies. As far as I'm aware, the massive distance between America and Britain meant that we were actually pretty cool with less-then-regular tax payments. It was only when France and Spain both decided to start a fight with Britain that we decided to make sure America was properly paying its taxes. I could be wrong though. We never focused much on American history in school. Always learning about the sodding Tudors.

Anyways, I've never liked the Boston Tea Party. Bloody waste of tea, if you ask me. If you didn't want it, you should have just said. Plenty Britons would have been more than happy to take it off your hands. You wouldn't pelt the French with croissants if you didn't like their tax policies, would you?

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go pop the kettle on...

Mike Kayatta:

you know I think I'd like to play one game/story where its not rebels=good authority=bad..I fear AC3 is going to be rather biased

Red Dead Redemption had the right Idea...

erttheking:

Uh, it isn't unknown for Assassin's Creed to beat history over the head.

Pssh. It's not that they got it wrong, it's simply the result of their international, multicultural development team opting to be sensitive to the natives!

>.>

It's still probably more accurate than what appears to be taught in school. You know, judging by the things people believe.

erttheking:
You think the American Revolution might be an important part of English history considering that they lost the colonies in the American Revolution and suffered their first major defeat in awhile, and French considering that the American Revolution helped spark off the French Revolution.

Influence was strictly one way traffic from Europe towards America at the time, not the other way around, and the US remained relatively obscure for a fairly long time after that too. It was only by the end of the 19th, start of the 20th century the US became a place of importance on the world stage.

The French revolution was always going to happen. The ideas were there already (those are what the US drew their ideas from even) and the economic hardship was already already there, or underway.

Vault101:
I fear AC3 is going to be rather biased

You haven't been paying attention much, then.

Thunderous Cacophony:

There were a mob of colonials watching, silently approving the acts of the Sons of Liberty, which I bet is going to be America's Assassin's Guild.

And the whole Tea Party thing happened because Parliament gave the East Indies Trade Co. an exclusive monopoly over all tea imports into America, and seeing those guys were dicks, they would eventually raise the prices over time. In fact, they were selling it cheaper than the smuggled tea that colonials were buying at the moment, but Americans preferred principle over price.

The reason they're not dressed up as natives:

#1, the game is not meant to be perfectly historically accurate, and explaining something like that takes away from the pace and adds little to the story.

#2, it's an animated painting, and in the paintings commemorating the event they would not have wanted to portray the colonists as hiding and trying to get the blame pinned on others.

#3, I've refused to watch the recent AC3 footage so I don't know if the mission actually did show NPCs dressed like natives.

#4, Assassin's Creed takes place in an alternate universe that while being SIMILAR to ours, is not exactly the same. Many things in it COULD have happened in our history, but as far as we know did not. For example in AC by the year 2012 the movie industry has collapsed, and Abstergo is a company which owns majority stock in every company above a certain size, though shadow corporations and in rare cases directly. Things that are not evident in today's world of 2012.

#5, and finally, the Animus is not a perfect interpretation of events. Consider the concept of viewing the memories of someone who never did any thing their whole life but stare at a wall. In an animus session, you would only be able to do more than that if the animus was able to pinpoint the location which the person was in, and the probable architecture that surrounded them. Since the Animus creates entire cities, and no person has ever looked at every single part of any one city, it's obvious that it doesn't just rely on memory. It reconstructs environments partly through its own personal database, such as paintings, maps pictures, and whatever of that specific place at that specific time period. It's not a time machine, it's an interpretation of another time. Thus is is not infallible.

ProtoChimp:
The one that mattered? Wow that's actually very insulting to American history.

meh. i like my history as much as the next guy, but it's an alternate universe (probably), and a game whose plot is basically 90% conspiracy with major historical figures and/or events cast in a very VERY different light. Why should they treat the american history any different than the rest?

Zachary Amaranth:

no...though I do kind of avoid digging to deep as I liek to enter into things with less pre-conceived Ideas

Calvar Draveir:

#4, Assassin's Creed takes place in an alternate universe that while being SIMILAR to ours, is not exactly the same. Many things in it COULD have happened in our history, but as far as we know did not. For example in AC by the year 2012 the movie industry has collapsed, and Abstergo is a company which owns majority stock in every company above a certain size, though shadow corporations and in rare cases directly. Things that are not evident in today's world of 2012.

huh really? how do we knwo that? (the movie industry I mean) I always find it kind of funny how through abstergo the templars weild so much influence...where as rhe assasins come across to me as a bunch of hippies and the scooby gang...hows that working out for ya guys?

Vault101:

no...though I do kind of avoid digging to deep as I liek to enter into things with less pre-conceived Ideas

Except you're holding a pre-conceived idea right here and now.

Vault101:

Zachary Amaranth:

Calvar Draveir:

huh really? how do we knwo that? (the movie industry I mean) I always find it kind of funny how through abstergo the templars weild so much influence...where as rhe assasins come across to me as a bunch of hippies and the scooby gang...hows that working out for ya guys?

The fact that the Templars are so much more powerful than the Assassins in modern times is not an accident. Their leader was assassinated about 20 years prior to Desmond's story, and their training grounds systematically hunted down and destroyed. What remains is indeed somewhat ramshackle and disconnected, though they are still organized enough to go on missions and combat Templars.

The movie industry thing was in an Assassin's Creed 1 email.

Most of the supposed flaws or holes of the series that are pointed out come from people who are not familliar with all of the lore. It's not really all that complicated. It just has several layers. The Templar vs Assassins in Modern times, the Templar vs assassins in the past, and the Those Who Came Before layer, which is all the craziest stuff.

Whilst I do feel my excitment for this game increasing with every trailer they put out, I can't help but wonder where my bloody British trailer is..

I mean the yanks had the 4th July trailer and this as well and that starting one where the assassin kills the British general..

Wheres the trailer depicting the battle of Camden, and the British thoroughly kicking the colonial Army's ass.. they don't even need to make a scene, just input that one from the patriot..

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here