DayZ Standalone Will Hit Retail by Year's End

DayZ Standalone Will Hit Retail by Year's End

DayZ will be cheap, and the more it sells the more ambitious Bohemia Interactive will get.

DayZ, the Arma 2 mod that is about to become a standalone zombie apocalypse game, will be out by the end of the year. So says creator Dean Hall, who went on to say that the game would be cheap, and that Bohemia Interactive doesn't "need to sell a heap of units in order to be OK with where it's going."

Hall takes zombie clones - War Z, for one - seriously, which is why Bohemia is shooting for early release. War Z has yet to hit retail, but is aiming for an Autumn 2012 date. Given the similarities between it and the Arma 2 mod, Hall figures the sooner the better for DayZ. "There is no 'we hope it is,'" Hall claims. "It has to be."

Besides, Hall argues, a December launch could be just the thing for DayZ. What Hall describes as a "cautious and sensible" approach to development - a description that seems at odds with the rush to release - could be followed by later expansion. An expansion hopefully fuelled by good sales, which will give Hall more resources to work with.

"If we can achieve [launch] in December," says Hall, "then in January and February we can start to do all the cool stuff, move on to more ambitious features."

Hall briefly addressed the plight of Bohemia's imprisoned staff. They had been working on the DayZ standalone, and their arrest in Greece on espionage charges had set the project back. "I just want to see them home," Hall said.

A full video transcript of Hall's address will eventually be available via YouTube, but isn't available at time of writing.

Source: Eurogamer

I don't get how they can have so much faith in this Mod. According to Lazard Capital Markets nobody's played it yet.

Hm...interesting. Maybe I should get the software to run it on my mac.

Hmmm, weird. I wasn't aware this was so close. Does that man they almost have it fixed up proper? It's a fantastic mod, but last time I played (admittedly, not that recent, it's been over a month) it was far from a complete stand alone experience. Does this mean there is an end game as well? I mean, you can't call it an actual game till there is a completion state, though it can be an optional completion state, like in Minecraft.

DVS BSTrD:
I don't get how they can have so much faith in this Mod. According to Lazard Capital Markets they haven't sold a single copy yet.

They havent sold a single copy...because its not for sale yet?

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:
I don't get how they can have so much faith in this Mod. According to Lazard Capital Markets they haven't sold a single copy yet.

Sorry, done derped. Fixed hopefully.

I really hope that the animations won't suck.

Now waiting for the xbox version.

DVS BSTrD:
I don't get how they can have so much faith in this Mod. According to Lazard Capital Markets nobody's played it yet.

I don't know what you mean by this... DayZ singlehandedly brought Arma 2 up to consistently be one of the top selling games on steam for the past several months...

I'm just excited to not have to hack into the CIA and develop quantum computing to get the game to run. Once.

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

It ahh....still doesnt make much sense cause...

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/dayz-has-one-million-unique-players

about a million people play the mod...

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

^What he said. The game has nearly 1.3million unique players now according to the homepage ( http://dayzmod.com/) and I'm quite willing to bet that most of those people probably never even heard about Arma 2 before this mod came out.

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

lotr rocks 0:
^What he said.

That's just it. Lazard Capital Markets doesn't count downloads.

It made more sense in my head =/

I bought arma 2 for DayZ but I am not sure I want to buy the stand alone now. The community is one of the worst, no mid/end game content, and horrible pvp hunters. It was fun at first but the novelty has worn off and unless I see real new content that would make me want to buy I will just hang back and wait.

Does anyone actually have any word on HOW this is being released yet? I fucking hope it doesn't come out on Steam. Since they're aiming for downloadable distribution GoG.com seams like a smart, and potentially probable, option since Arma 2: Combined Operations it already on that site.

yuval152:

Sorry to tell you but there will never be an XBox version (said so by the developers in the forum). The game engine and general game content is far too resource intensive. Far beyond what could possibly be achieved without completely rewriting large quantities of the engine and gutting the overall game.

Saulkar:

yuval152:

Sorry to tell you but there will never be an XBox version (said so by the developers in the forum). The game engine and general game content is far too resource intensive. Far beyond what could possibly be achieved without completely rewriting large quantities of the engine and gutting the overall game.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/11/dayz-wed-probably-be-stupid-not-to-try-and-release-it-for-xbox-360-says-bohmeia/

Did they say something else that I missed?

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

lotr rocks 0:
^What he said.

Made sense to me seeing as I just read that WoW article.

Made me laugh too :)

ScruffyMcBalls:
Does anyone actually have any word on HOW this is being released yet? I fucking hope it doesn't come out on Steam.

Me too. This is a game I would really want to play. And if it DOES come out on Steam, I sure as hell hope it doesn't require Steam to play, so that it can be bought on other platforms.

*fingers crossed for boxed release or self publishing Minecraft-Style*

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

lotr rocks 0:
^What he said.

If it helps; it made sense to me as well and gave me a good laugh.

On topic though;
Day Z has always looked rather interesting, I just couldn't be bothered buying a game I would never play just to play a mod that might work properly on it. A standalone release will take care of most of it and would probably be convenient enough that I'll pick it up. As long as at least one of my friends does as well.

Day Z as a concept is interesting, not the mod though (for me at least).
I'm hopeful for this standalone though.

And yeah as I understand it, it's gonna be developed like minecraft was/is so I guess it needs to sell well to justify further development.

DVS BSTrD:

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

lotr rocks 0:
^What he said.

It made sense in my head too.

Jesus, there are a LOT of glaring issues with the mod that I hope they fix before they ask for people's money. I really enjoyed DayZ but I hated it as well. Nothing is more infuriating than ducking for cover in a shed and having a horde of zombies just WALK THROUGH THE WALLS and tearing you apart while you try to heal yourself.

That's just one example, but the main example why I stopped playing. I will admit it is kinda funny having to reload 99999 ammo into an axe before you can use it. But yeah, other than those kind of annoyances, the game is a really unique and cool experience. I'll definitely give it another try once they fix the zombies phasing through walls issue.

Bhaalspawn:

ScruffyMcBalls:
Does anyone actually have any word on HOW this is being released yet? I fucking hope it doesn't come out on Steam.

Me too. This is a game I would really want to play. And if it DOES come out on Steam, I sure as hell hope it doesn't require Steam to play, so that it can be bought on other platforms.

*fingers crossed for boxed release or self publishing Minecraft-Style*

I completely agree, a boxed release would kick so much ass. Sadly, even though there are one million plus unique players, a boxed release is probably too risky. But if they release it via GoG.com we can always mock up our own boxed copies (I know a few people who'd love to collaborate to make that happen). And considering Combined Operations is on both Steam and GoG.com now, a dual release isn't so far fetched, so a good point there.

well let us count the dayz until we can finally die alone..

yuval152:

Saulkar:

yuval152:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/11/dayz-wed-probably-be-stupid-not-to-try-and-release-it-for-xbox-360-says-bohmeia/

Did they say something else that I missed?

The sheer cost of porting the game to the consoles would be ridiculous combined with the fact that developers have on numerous occasions blatantly pointed out issues with porting the engine to consoles. Additionally I am very skeptical about that statement given that it is contradictory to everything that Bohemia Interactive had be saying up to this point.

Go have a look.
http://forums.bistudio.com/

In just about every branch pertaining to the general discussion of Arma 2/3 has people bringing up the possibility of these games and by extension DayZ to the consoles with rebukes followed shortly by the thread being closed (meaning you generally head to the locked forums to find them).

There are numerous threads where people have requested either Arma 2/3 or DayZ on the consoles and the developers or modders with extensive knowledge of the engine point out why this is not ideal if not outright stupid move for various reasons.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here