Over 1,000 Developers Interested in Making Ouya Games

Pages PREV 1 2

Pebkio:

cidbahamut:

People are projecting their hopes and dreams onto a new console without stopping to take a minute to actually think about what the console and the project could realistically deliver.

The tears to come are going to be delicious.

Yeah, I guess. I must've missed the big moment that makes people love this console over the other consoles. Maybe because it's new?

I don't even understand what hopes and dreams you're talking about... because the things I've seen promised from this console is the same crap I see already on other consoles. Netflix and Hulu are already available on the 360, what is so special about having non gaming stuff on a gaming console? It boggles my mind.

---

So I decided to look up the facts, and I found a fact-sheet from the press kit. Here are a few things I saw that (might?) be different:

Ouya is:
"Open to any developer to publish a game - unlike any of the current game consoles"
(I wasn't aware that only a select group of publishers were allowed on Microsoft of Sony's console)
"All games are free-to-play (with in-game items, paid version after free trial, etc.)"
(Aside from the MMO possibility, that's standard demo-work)
"For Hackers - built to be hacked"

This last one basically means that it's easy to root, comes with a debug console, and is easy to open with standard equipment. There was also something in there about customizable user-interfaces but I'm guessing that'll be "customizable to a point".

The free-to-play is also not as exciting as you think because it's what we see on phones today. The only difference from regular consoles is that it'll download the whole game with most of it locked away behind a subscription service. And even if they don't go all corrupt with subscriptions for offline games, the pricing will remain the same. It'll be no better, and has the possibility of being worse, than the XBLA system.

As for the "anyone can publish" thing, I've seen it before... with Apple. Ouya will have one publisher and that publisher will be Ouya. Developers submit their IP to Ouya who then publishes that IP for a fee. Games will be presented as apps. This sounds fine until you remember that developers usually rely on Bethesda or EA because those companies give them investment money to start a project. Kickstarter could change all that, so this is the only thing I'm actually a bit excited for.

Except that whole "you can hack us all day and night - no penalty" thing might scare some developers away. The real success is if they can get more than flash-like games for their console, and I don't see why AAA would hop on board.

It's interesting though, I'll give it that. Still, I don't think it's the game-changer everyone is calling for.

Edit: It also relies on the success of kickstarter in general... and the jury is still out on that. I like kickstarter, but it's going to fail hard if even 10% of the projects don't deliver.

The whole big thing about this is that it is a outlet for small time develpers to get off the ground. I mean I could develop for a phone and that is fine and dandy but OUYA lets me expand to a console setting. It is the only console designed for small time developers to get stuff published through. It would take a fuck ton of work to do the same for the ps3 or xbox360 and that is assuming they wouldn't try to rip me off.

AzrealMaximillion:

cidbahamut:

Pebkio:
Wait... what? Android is an OS for mobile platforms... right? Yeah, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices. Why would that make a good console?

No really, why would it make a good console?

If I remember correctly, Android is Linux based, is this really going to be a Linux console? Aren't we just talking about a PC now? Except worse because you can't upgrade the hardware? Okay, so it's a PC designed for specific use... just like any other console?

I don't get the fervor, I really don't.

People are projecting their hopes and dreams onto a new console without stopping to take a minute to actually think about what the console and the project could realistically deliver.

Yeah, this Ouya thing is another sample of people throwing money at something they don't understand.

You mean hype is going to be the cause of misery?

I just had a strangely Skyrim-and-Guild Wars 2-shaped case of deja vu

AC10:
Yeah, there is huge interest from a lot of small time indies who want some sales.
Is there any interest on the consumer front, however, to play these games?

The unanswered question...

Potential consumer excitement seems to be lackluster recently. When this Kickstarter opened up money was thrown at it faster than strippers on Friday Night Fever.

Now its hard to find people who care.

Bhaalspawn:

AzrealMaximillion:

cidbahamut:

Yeah, this Ouya thing is another sample of people throwing money at something they don't understand.

You mean hype is going to be the cause of misery?

I just had a strangely Skyrim-and-Guild Wars 2-shaped case of deja vu

Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 being disappointing is your opinion.

This thing failing won't be because people didn't like it. It'll be because its very impractical.

Pebkio:
Wait... what? Android is an OS for mobile platforms... right? Yeah, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices. Why would that make a good console?

No really, why would it make a good console?

If I remember correctly, Android is Linux based, is this really going to be a Linux console? Aren't we just talking about a PC now? Except worse because you can't upgrade the hardware? Okay, so it's a PC designed for specific use... just like any other console?

I don't get the fervor, I really don't.

Actually, if I read it correctly, you CAN upgrade the hardware, as the console can be taken apart and modded/upgraded with just a simple screwdriver. While the specs right now are nothing really to write home about, I'm assuming that with the way they worded it (and I could be wrong), you can easily fix that.

I seriously hope this does well, but I'm waiting on baited breath with it (which is sad because I did contribute to the Kickstarter).

I'm surprised people aren't bringing up the fact that you can root the Ouya much like you can any Android phone.

Edit: I should really read the whole thread before posting. But yeah, the ability to root the Ouya could come back to bite them in the ass.

this very much ties into the apple vs pc discussion on the latest podcat...maybe we are looking at the futures only really open system? but probably there be something really sad as the endresult of this hype.....lets wait at see *makes some coffee*

Sean Strife:

Actually, if I read it correctly, you CAN upgrade the hardware, as the console can be taken apart and modded/upgraded with just a simple screwdriver. While the specs right now are nothing really to write home about, I'm assuming that with the way they worded it (and I could be wrong), you can easily fix that.

Yeah, I saw that in the press-release fact sheet. But, what I'd like to know is what hardware can be installed. It's a small box, so I'm sure it's not an IBM-compatible harddrive. What kind of processor does it use? But maybe I'm so used to building computers and not hacking consoles that I'm missing obvious information...

I'm surprised people aren't bringing up the fact that you can root the Ouya much like you can any Android phone.

Edit: I should really read the whole thread before posting. But yeah, the ability to root the Ouya could come back to bite them in the ass.

Oh good, because I was about to say "What thread were you reading?" By the by, I read that "some tweet" and that rooting thing won't come back to bite them, because it'll just go ahead and erase the marketplace thing. So it's already biting them now. :P

Pebkio:

Sean Strife:

Yeah, I saw that in the press-release fact sheet. But, what I'd like to know is what hardware can be installed. It's a small box, so I'm sure it's not an IBM-compatible harddrive. What kind of processor does it use? But maybe I'm so used to building computers and not hacking consoles that I'm missing obvious information...

Oh good, because I was about to say "What thread were you reading?" By the by, I read that "some tweet" and that rooting thing won't come back to bite them, because it'll just go ahead and erase the marketplace thing. So it's already biting them now. :P

That's odd because some of the ones from the Kickstarter are gonna be sent out pre-rooted.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here